| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371 ... 1887  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just saw Anna Gasteyer on a commercial.. for weight watchers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm going to Venice (CA) in July! So excited!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mollyjade wrote:
A helpful suggestion from a family friend:

Quote:
I had an idea for you. What binds a culture? Language! You should compile and create words for Vegans. Call the language - Veganese. Needs not to be a fluent language but one centered around English with insightful woods. Something like the language of Beatniks.

Fold it into a Veganese dictionary that you create and publish. May be a lucrative side venture.

I'll be over here swimming in my pile of vegan money.

That already exists here, to a degree. Most people wouldn't laugh at everyday occurrences of words like "asparagus" and "custard."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

zelavie wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
A helpful suggestion from a family friend:

Quote:
I had an idea for you. What binds a culture? Language! You should compile and create words for Vegans. Call the language - Veganese. Needs not to be a fluent language but one centered around English with insightful woods. Something like the language of Beatniks.

Fold it into a Veganese dictionary that you create and publish. May be a lucrative side venture.

I'll be over here swimming in my pile of vegan money.

That already exists here, to a degree. Most people wouldn't laugh at everyday occurrences of words like "asparagus" and "custard."

I'm sorry. Those words aren't official Veganese. You're speaking an unauthorized dialect. I recommend "spangy" and "vegudicate". That'll be $2.99.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Trying to work up the nerve to tell a friend she wears too much perfume. I can't be around her without snotting and sneezing and getting a headache, and I can still smell it on our furniture and in my car, but she hasn't been here in like 5 days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
Trying to work up the nerve to tell a friend she wears too much perfume. I can't be around her without snotting and sneezing and getting a headache, and I can still smell it on our furniture and in my car, but she hasn't been here in like 5 days.

Eek, tread carefully. People are sensitive about things like that, but I completely understand where you're coming from. I, too, am sensitive to perfumes, so even a little is too much for me. Maybe blame yourself? Say you're allergic, so maybe she could not wear it when she's around you? I once had a really great friend who had a giant dog that wouldn't leave me (apparently just me, according to her) alone and jumped all over me when I went over, and he couldn't be controlled. It actually left me with a bit of a phobia of dogs for awhile, but anyway when I told her that I couldn't come over anymore unless the dog chilled out, but she could totally come to my house whenever she wanted because I loved her as a friend, our friendship basically ended. (Mostly because she is a major homebody who didn't like hanging out at other people's houses.) Good luck with your talk!

I got the best night of sleep last night. I slept the entire way through without waking up once! Amazing what exhaustion and the relief of major stressers will do for sleep, eh?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just ordered euros and pounds! shiitake's getting real!

PS...the UK/US/Europe need to learn that their bills suck. The new Canadian bills are fierce mothers hubbard that are virtually un-rip-able and indestructible. Get your shiitake together, currency makers. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:57 am 
WELFARIST!

^I know, I love our new money! So purty and functional!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Iron infusion. at least the view here is nice: 2 story window out into the woods.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am 
WRETCHED

vijita wrote:

PS...the UK/US/Europe need to learn that their bills suck. The new Canadian bills are fierce mothers hubbard that are virtually un-rip-able and indestructible. Get your shiitake together, currency makers. :)

All you need is 51% of a bill and you can use it. It can be ripped to pieces, taped together, only 51% there and you are good :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vijita wrote:

But they CAN melt!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:18 am 
WELFARIST!

So I had this foodie idea, totally stolen from Chef Michael Smith while watching Chef Michael's kitchen the other day.

So what he did was he softened rice paper in warm water, laid that out on a clean tea towel and sprinkled fresh herbs over it (he said use 'light' herbs like basil, parsley and cilantro, maybe he said dill, too) then soften another piece of rice paper and place that over top so you have the beginnings of a nice herbed wrap. Then, he started sprinkling proteins and veg and wrapped it up rice paper roll style. He used meat for his wrap, but I was thiking of trying the same thing myself but using a savory baked tofu, maybe some gingered cucumbers from Vegan Eats World (I know! I hate cucumbers! But pickling does wonders to even things I dislike) for crunch texture and banging flavor (not sure about the ginger and basil but maybe Thai basil would be good for ginger) and I dunno, just fill with some savory tofu and your veg of choice--I was also thinking, in addition to the gingered pickled cukes some fresh lettuce and maybe some slivered red peppers. And then maybe some roasted peanuts finely chopped, sprinkle that over the affair and roll up. And maybe make a nice dipping sauce. I thought his idea really looked yum if I could veganize it and perfect for summer food, too, like a nice light lunch that could be taken to work, even. Yum!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
creep wrote:

Eek, tread carefully. People are sensitive about things like that, but I completely understand where you're coming from. I, too, am sensitive to perfumes, so even a little is too much for me. Maybe blame yourself? Say you're allergic, so maybe she could not wear it when she's around you? I once had a really great friend who had a giant dog that wouldn't leave me (apparently just me, according to her) alone and jumped all over me when I went over, and he couldn't be controlled. It actually left me with a bit of a phobia of dogs for awhile, but anyway when I told her that I couldn't come over anymore unless the dog chilled out, but she could totally come to my house whenever she wanted because I loved her as a friend, our friendship basically ended. (Mostly because she is a major homebody who didn't like hanging out at other people's houses.) Good luck with your talk!

I got the best night of sleep last night. I slept the entire way through without waking up once! Amazing what exhaustion and the relief of major stressers will do for sleep, eh?

I'll probably just suck it up while she's here and not say anything. But it's been really bad the past couple visits! Like, filling a whole room with the smell.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
So I had this foodie idea, totally stolen from Chef Michael Smith while watching Chef Michael's kitchen the other day.

So what he did was he softened rice paper in warm water, laid that out on a clean tea towel and sprinkled fresh herbs over it (he said use 'light' herbs like basil, parsley and cilantro, maybe he said dill, too) then soften another piece of rice paper and place that over top so you have the beginnings of a nice herbed wrap. Then, he started sprinkling proteins and veg and wrapped it up rice paper roll style. He used meat for his wrap, but I was thiking of trying the same thing myself but using a savory baked tofu, maybe some gingered cucumbers from Vegan Eats World (I know! I hate cucumbers! But pickling does wonders to even things I dislike) for crunch texture and banging flavor (not sure about the ginger and basil but maybe Thai basil would be good for ginger) and I dunno, just fill with some savory tofu and your veg of choice--I was also thinking, in addition to the gingered pickled cukes some fresh lettuce and maybe some slivered red peppers. And then maybe some roasted peanuts finely chopped, sprinkle that over the affair and roll up. And maybe make a nice dipping sauce. I thought his idea really looked yum if I could veganize it and perfect for summer food, too, like a nice light lunch that could be taken to work, even. Yum!

This sounds awesome, but I don't understand the purpose of the second piece of rice paper. Wouldn't the herbs stay in place if just sprinkled on first and then you pile the other stuff on top? I feel like I'm missing something, but I also feel like a second piece of rice paper would make the whole thing too chewy for me. But now I really want some yummy summer rolls with tofu and mango and lettuce and cilantro.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

IV hurts today. I can't move an inch or the IV stops, so my whole arm is numb. It's too high or something, but they can't move it. Boo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

allularpunk wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

This sounds awesome, but I don't understand the purpose of the second piece of rice paper. Wouldn't the herbs stay in place if just sprinkled on first and then you pile the other stuff on top? I feel like I'm missing something, but I also feel like a second piece of rice paper would make the whole thing too chewy for me. But now I really want some yummy summer rolls with tofu and mango and lettuce and cilantro.

They probably would because damp rice paper is pretty sticky, but it's like an herb window sealed between the two rice papers, sort of, like a herbed bread or tortilla in a wrap? It also makes the rice paper more solid to roll and less rippable doubled up like that (I'd think). I don't mind a bit of chew to my rice paper, especially with a hearty sort of filling.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

Gotcha, that makes more sense now! Still sounds yummy, and I'm still craving summer rolls, in case anyone cares.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

I totally care and want some too! I already checked to make sure I have rice paper in my cupboard and am hitting a grocery store after yoga tonight for ingredients.

Also, the rolls looked pretty on the TV with the herbs walled in because you know how rice paper gets transparent when damp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I bet it is really pretty!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

"So I guess I got a $1,000 scholarship for next semester, let's celebrate by blowing $1,000 on unicorn figurines and candy."--text I just sent to both my parents.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

That sounds tasty. I think I'd put seitan in it, but I definitely like the idea of some cukes and other nice veggies. I want one now!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

kilgore trout wrote:
"So I guess I got a $1,000 scholarship for next semester, let's celebrate by blowing $1,000 on unicorn figurines and candy."--text I just sent to both my parents.

Hahahaha

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm 
WRETCHED

There is a rodent (?) that lives under my neighbor's shed but he likes to forage in our yard for acorns. I had a good view of him today but didn't have my camera and when I went back, he was being sneaky. He doesn't quite look like a rat, he looks more like a mouse but from googling both rats and mice are nocturnal? I'm not sure what he could be if he isn't one of those. Oh and possibly looks closest to a packrat except the tail isn't furry.. now I don't really know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

You discovered a new species of rodent! Congratulations! What are you going to do with the winnings?*

*comes in Canadian teflon dollars only.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:28 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm hopeful that this guy is an Allegheny Wood Rat, which some pictures do show as having a thin tail like he has. Allegheny wood rats are an endangered species. If I get a good picture of him, I'll try to get a confirmation. I also read that sometimes young wood rats will be seen during the day and some rats create their own schedule (aka not nocturnal). All I know is that this guy loves acorns.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371 ... 1887  Next