| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373 ... 1848  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I'm hopeful that this guy is an Allegheny Wood Rat, which some pictures do show as having a thin tail like he has. Allegheny wood rats are an endangered species. If I get a good picture of him, I'll try to get a confirmation. I also read that sometimes young wood rats will be seen during the day and some rats create their own schedule (aka not nocturnal). All I know is that this guy loves acorns.

Actually, many (most?) rat species are crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

seitanicverses wrote:
That song Rock'n'Roll Coochie-Coo is stuck in my head. Someone MAKE IT STOP.

I've had "Thrift Shop" stuck in my head for 3 days. Not sure which is worse.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Going to an art lecture in an hour. Kind of don't want to, but I know it will be interesting once I get up there. I'm just kind of tired and want to watch mindless television rather than use my brain tonight.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

my 17-year-old tv just bit it. the picture had been slow to cohere for a few days, and tonight there was sound but no picture, so i turned it off to fiddle with the cable connection, just in case, and then it wouldn't turn back on and there was a smell . . . i don't know, like a not-good electronics smell. and now i am adrift in my suddenly strange apartment. so dark . . . so quiet . . . so alone . . .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 pm 
And you never will.

zelavie wrote:
I've had "Thrift Shop" stuck in my head for 3 days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

poopiebitch wrote:
zelavie wrote:
I've had "Thrift Shop" stuck in my head for 3 days.

<3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
Mediocre Tart

There's this lady I worked with. She was a bit... unusual. Hated everyone. Was pretty awful to all of the people in our workplace. Barked at us all every day, moreorless. Only had time for her cat. She was in her late 40s/early '50s.

She died last night. Alone. No friends, no relatives. The only reason she was 'discovered' was because she didn't turn up to work for five days and a manager went out to her home because of worries.

I just realised that that is my future. And I also realised I'm a horrible person for thinking that way in this light. Double whammy! fork.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

interrobang?! wrote:
There's this lady I worked with. She was a bit... unusual. Hated everyone. Was pretty awful to all of the people in our workplace. Barked at us all every day, moreorless. Only had time for her cat. She was in her late 40s/early '50s.

She died last night. Alone. No friends, no relatives. The only reason she was 'discovered' was because she didn't turn up to work for five days and a manager went out to her home because of worries.

I just realised that that is my future. And I also realised I'm a horrible person for thinking that way in this light. Double whammy! fork.

i don't even have work to turn up to! i'll remember you if you'll remember me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:58 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Venger-cat promises not to eat either of us. I think. Well, it's not so much of a promise as a... suggestion. But yeah.

He'll scratch our names on the wall in passing.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just puked into my cat's litterbox as I was cleaning it because the urine smell was so vile. Now I have to clean up puke in a litter box. There are some poops in there too for good measure. That little meowmeows owes me big time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really hate when my friends with kids ask me to watch their kid while they do something like run to the store, and when I say I am not comfortable being in charge of a child they say, "Oh, don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine! He's very well behaved!" and leave. I have been left alone in a house with a sleeping baby ("Just pick him up if he cries!") and outside near a road with a toddler who was running here, there, and everywhere. I just don't understand why they would even want to leave their kids with someone who admits to being not good with kids and very uncomfortable with the responsibility of watching over them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

RC: No lie, one time when I was a cashier a lady wanted to leave her baby-ish (still in a stroller) kid at the register with me while she ran out to her car. I'm actually great with kids but she had no way of knowing that, plus I was a stranger in a public place already doing a job that required my attention! I just kind of looked at her and she changed her mind.

seitanicverses wrote:
That song Rock'n'Roll Coochie-Coo is stuck in my head. Someone MAKE IT STOP.

The guy who wrote this lives in my town. I've never met him but his daughter used to work at the burrito place before it shut down. Luckily I don't know the song well enough for head-sticking, but I sympathize.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I went shopping today and when I got home took off my gloves and one hand was covered in blood. I freaked out a little and then washed my hand and realised my nail has gone all gross and bleedy. Which is cool, but, ew, freaky.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I am 27 years old and I am completely incapable of committing to a career path STILL. What is wrong with me.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

DarthCupcake wrote:
I am 27 years old and I am completely incapable of committing to a career path STILL. What is wrong with me.

Nothing. I'm almost 10 years older and still don't know what I want my career to be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 pm 
WRETCHED

ScooterDiva wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:

Nothing. I'm almost 10 years older and still don't know what I want my career to be.

Me too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

DarthCupcake wrote:

I'm 30 and just decided that my future is working in a gallery. I would have never known that if I hadn't just randomly got the job. It's a longer journey for some of us, and that's ok!

Speaking of which, the students hanging their capstone shows are a mixture of totally awesome and horribly horrible. Which I guess is how people just generally are, but when I'm trying to help you not make your show look like shiitake so that you GRADUATE, listen to me and don't use a hateful tone of voice! They must not realize that I'm not just some workstudy (I look young). I had to actually tell a girl today that this is my job and that I'm helping her not only because I know what I'm doing, but because if it looks bad, it not only is bad for her, but falls on my shoulders as well. Then her husband told me to quit being so picky. Dude! IT IS MY JOB to be picky! It matters if one of your pieces is higher than the other or if it's crooked or if the spacing between them is off. Not everyone can see that shiitake, but I do, so listen to me when I tell you to fix it! And I'm even telling you how to fix it!

Jerks! In related news, I was able to see that a picture was 1/8th of an inch too high and another one that had 3/8th of an inch too much space on one side. Because I'm awesome.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Thanks, all. I'm horribly whiny about this even though it is so silly.

I got my degree in comparative literature, which I LOVED, don't get me wrong, but I had been interested in engineering and computer science, but gave up for two reasons: 1) wussed out about being the token female 2) I could only afford 5 semesters of college, and I could cram my comp lit BA into 5 semesters, but not a CS or engineering degree. Every time I hang out with my techie friends, I get envious of their jobs (and also their salaries). I love literature and I enjoy teaching, but I still feel this lingering sense of regret.

Maybe if I were younger, I'd think about changing courses, but I can't find a way to synthesize what I do with basically anything else that interests me in order to make a career transition that makes sense and builds on the fact that I have five years of professional experience and a masters degree. I don't want to throw all that in the trash and start fresh, you know? But I also know that my current career is basically a dead-end and I need to transition soon before I go insane and before my extreme brokeness causes me to do something idiotic.

allularpunk wrote:
Jerks! In related news, I was able to see that a picture was 1/8th of an inch too high and another one that had 3/8th of an inch too much space on one side. Because I'm awesome.

I am genuinely impressed by that. That's skill!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:13 pm 
WRETCHED

DarthCupcake wrote:
Thanks, all. I'm horribly whiny about this even though it is so silly.

I got my degree in comparative literature, which I LOVED, don't get me wrong, but I had been interested in engineering and computer science, but gave up for two reasons: 1) wussed out about being the token female 2) I could only afford 5 semesters of college, and I could cram my comp lit BA into 5 semesters, but not a CS or engineering degree. Every time I hang out with my techie friends, I get envious of their jobs (and also their salaries). I love literature and I enjoy teaching, but I still feel this lingering sense of regret.

Maybe if I were younger, I'd think about changing courses, but I can't find a way to synthesize what I do with basically anything else that interests me in order to make a career transition that makes sense and builds on the fact that I have five years of professional experience and a masters degree. I don't want to throw all that in the trash and start fresh, you know? But I also know that my current career is basically a dead-end and I need to transition soon before I go insane and before my extreme brokeness causes me to do something idiotic.

As someone who got a CS degree and recently got involved with a group of women techies, I'll say it is never too late. You'd have to take some undergrad courses but you could get a MS in CS. Engineering is a bit different according to my EE husband, he says you need an engineering BS to get a MS.

I'd look at the local state schools as college is insanely cheap in CA. You could just take an intro CS course to see if you like it. And your current experience would help. You could also see if you could find a position as a technical writer to kind of break into the field. Trust me, people that can write and are technical are needed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Educational technology is a huge field. Your experience would matter there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks, DarthCupcake! I honestly don't know much about your fields of study/interest, but I hope you get it figured out eventually. It really is kind of amazing to feel like you finally found the Thing You're Supposed To Be Doing. I never thought I would feel it, but I do! I say if you can go back to school, do it. I thought for awhile that the only useful thing I could do with my degrees (BFA/MA) was teach and then once I did some of it, I realized that, while I didn't absolutely hate it, I definitely didn't love it. I don't want to have a job that I just...don't hate. Teaching is a ton of work, and while I'm not opposed to hard work, I also enjoy my free time, which was (and is, because I'm still teaching some) being eaten up by all the outside of the actual workplace work that I had to do. My mom was an amazing teacher, but to be a good teacher, I think it has to take up a big part of your personal life. She hated that aspect. It took her away from her family, because of all the extra work she had to do to make it as awesome as she felt it needed to be. (So glad she finally retired! We have her back!)

So, I totally get not wanting to teach. To me, it's not worth the money if you don't forking love it.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

There is no way to continuously love teaching. There is just too much crepe, too much apathy, and no solutions anywhere. Kids don't give a crepe. Parent don't give a cap. The schools believe in no consequences and no deadlines so kids have no idea what those things mean.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:
There is no way to continuously love teaching. There is just too much crepe, too much apathy, and no solutions anywhere. Kids don't give a crepe. Parent don't give a cap. The schools believe in no consequences and no deadlines so kids have no idea what those things mean.

I think that is true with any of the professions that require you to have some sort of a vocation.

I'm actually really starting to believe that my chosen career just attracts super vile people. Every day I notice a bit more how downright horrible they can be about other people. Their constant negativity about other people is really wearing me down. They treat most people like they are complete imbeciles and they actually don't seem to have an understanding of what it is really like to live with a mental illness.

Thank God I also get to work with other professionals in the field who seem to be absolutely lovely or else I would have lost faith in humanity by now!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Just wiped my long ranty rant, but you know what I'm sick of? Parents who tell me helplessly that they can't make their kid do school work or graduate because kid is 18.

However, they can provide iPhones and cars and fancy clothes. (and they replace the iPhones the kids break because they throw them around because why take care of your crepe when mom and dad get you a new one?)

Funny how that works. My kid would not have the keys to the cute little $20,000 car if they were flunking high school for being an entitled lazy asparagus.

Just had fourth iron. One more to go, next week. I'm so jealous: while Iwas there hooked up to IVs for it, three people sailed in and out, doing their iron in 15 minutes via syringe. Me and my stupid side effects. It takes me two days to get over them. Bleh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

And some perspective: I was completely a "spoiled only child." But, holy fork, I was taught to work for things and respect what I have. I can't with this mind set of so many of these kids. Why are we (as a society) doing this to our kids? It's really not their fault they are like this. I mean, kids will take advantage, and who can blame them? That's what parents and schools are for--to instill good work ethic, etc.

We are all so screwed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373 ... 1848  Next