| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1372, 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I'm having a weird, guilty moment and I don't know what to do.

So, I went to a WI meeting and it was really awesome and full of mostly old ladies who seemed really sweet and I was excited about a group where I can do crafty, baking stuff and drink tea and go on outings. They were having a meeting and I see that there are some great opportunities for me after a year - they have a press officer who gets to write articles for the local spectator and no-one wants to do it and I love to write.

Now, I know the WI is full of old women and therefore not known for being the most open minded but they mentioned that they had to lock the door because there were certain "undesirables" trying to get in. So, bear in mind that this is my first week and this is what I was told by two (younger!) members and I don't know the whole story or how other people feel, but they lock the door because they had a trans woman try to join. As far as I know that was all she did but I didn't get the whole story and I didn't stick around after that.

Firstly, I feel horribly guilty because I was so taken aback that I literally said nothing, I just looked at her. I am mad that I didn't say something, anything, like ask if she had done something against the rules or anything but I just looked at her and my friend was the same and I feel horrible.

Secondly, do I never go back? I mean, my mum told me that maybe they are really ignorant and they literally don't know any better and if I never go back I never get the opportunity to gently challenge this thinking, while my friend said exactly the same. I dunno what to do, I feel so squicky. The thing is that the other woman at the table kind of reacted like me and my friend so I don't know if this is the attitude of everyone?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

acr wrote:
butterflies have an exoskeleton; they don't have any internal hard parts, and x-ray isn't ideal for visualizing soft internal organs or structures (at least, not on that scale). theoretically, an extremely low-power x-ray might be stopped by the exoskeleton and give you an image of the outline of the body, but i doubt anything would be stopped by the wings. they're made of chitin, but in extremely thin layers, and they contain veins but no hard structures. it would be like trying to x-ray a hair. it might be possible to use fluoroscopy to get a look at a butterfly's digestive tract or circulatory system, but there isn't much else in its body.

Thank you sooooo much. The idea I had strictly pertains to x-ray. It's sort of like Tom Cruise having a sonographic machine at home to check Suri's progress when Katie Holmes was pregnant (yes, the tabloids actually reported this) but the idea's really not quite that at all, either, but I'm just thinking along the lines of someone maybe a little off upstairs if they had some radiation surveillance equipment at home...that kind of exploration. How they would procure home x-ray equipment with free access to it might be a whole other story....

If I can at least get an outline of possibly a butterfly's body, even, that makes me happy. I suppose anything with a hard skeleton is x-rayable (i.e., mammals). If you x-rayed a fish, I suppose its inner bone structure would be visible. It doesn't have to be the exoskeleton of the butterfly clearly captured in its full design (though, honestly, I was hoping for that, but figured they were too delicately structured).

Just as a side note--the hospital where I work has a history going back to the eighteen hundreds and I've seen x-rays in the records from 1909! And thereabouts. I figure if they were x-raying folks in 1909, someone could have a home x-ray machine, somehow. It's like the idea that the Apollo missions went to the moon in the late sixties with less power than what's available in home computers today.

Thanks so much. It's a great help.

*Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to include all the qutoes so only included the most recent one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 pm 
Chip Strong

Sarah-Jane, I would ask some of the other WI members/committee about this so as to get their response, especially as I understand that the WI Federation is supportive of anyone 'living their life as a woman' being a member:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Some shoe stores used to apparently have xray machines so you could xray your feet as a novelty (or for shoe fitting for some reason), this was before they knew much about xrays :)
https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/sho ... r/shoe.htm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
Some shoe stores used to apparently have xray machines so you could xray your feet as a novelty (or for shoe fitting for some reason), this was before they knew much about xrays :)

This is EXCELLENT to know. I want to know about x-ray carelessness right now, even if it's from the past and not deliberate but from ignorance and the way things used to be.

On a sidenote, I was reading that Madonna's mother (who died very young of breast cancer) worked as an x-ray tech in the days before they had the lead capes (or whathever they're made of--the protection capes) and so the family has always blamed her cancer on her occupation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I'm watching something about vikings on the History channel but it's more weird than it is educational. Really dramatic. What the hell am I watching?

Documentaries/educational television got really crazy during the years that I didn't have a television. When my sweetheart and I got Netflix streaming I was like, Ooo, so many nature documentaries, sweet. But these days nature documentaries are like:

WHAT'S THAT NOISE
OMG IS IT THE WILD PANDELION
DRAMATIC MUSIC
FAST CINEMATIC CUTS
Here is one fact about the pandelion you may not have known
NATURE WILL EAT YOU
Here is a re-enacment of the pandelion eating you COMPLETE WITH BLOOD SPATTERING ON THE CAMERA LENS
BA BA BUUUUUUUM
THE END

I was like, What the hell, this is stressful. And my sweetheart was like Oooo, yeah. Documentaries are like this now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

NATURE WILL EAT YOU!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:46 pm 
WRETCHED

seitanicverses wrote:
linanil wrote:

This is EXCELLENT to know. I want to know about x-ray carelessness right now, even if it's from the past and not deliberate but from ignorance and the way things used to be.

On a sidenote, I was reading that Madonna's mother (who died very young of breast cancer) worked as an x-ray tech in the days before they had the lead capes (or whathever they're made of--the protection capes) and so the family has always blamed her cancer on her occupation.

Apparently hobbyists make their own xray machines so it is definitely plausible for someone to have built one and used or bought one from someone who built one. I searched 'home xray machines' and got way too many hits of people building them even today. Crazy people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

pandacookie wrote:
NATURE WILL EAT YOU!

OMG IS IT THE WILD PANDACOOKIE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If you pull up a piece of 3M scotch tape really quickly, in a vacuum, x-rays can be emitted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

madeleine.teacup wrote:
NATURE WILL EAT YOU

I BETTER EAT IT FIRST

Also, that summary was beautiful and accurate.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

linanil wrote:
Apparently hobbyists make their own xray machines so it is definitely plausible for someone to have built one and used or bought one from someone who built one. I searched 'home xray machines' and got way too many hits of people building them even today. Crazy people.

lavawitch wrote:
If you pull up a piece of 3M scotch tape really quickly, in a vacuum, x-rays can be emitted.

Thanks so much for all the help! I knew the PPK could help me!

I have been kicking around an idea about a character who makes x-ray art and I'm not sure what else is going to happen and what the point of it all wil be but I've been thinking about it for a while (also, is x-ray art a thing? It should be--I think x-rays are pretty to look at. Especially rib cage x-rays and spinal x-rays are nice, too--like sea horses) but also thinking it maybe too implausible mostly because of the mechanics of it and the restrictions...but now I see that it isn't implausible. So now I have to figure out a story around this strange scenario that's been in my mind for maybe over a year now... I will be googling the home x-ray machine folks and see what they're up to....<3 <3 <3 you all!!!!

Also, I was watching a special on archeologists finding Richard III in the car park last night and they had all his bones arranged on this black velvet drape and were working on them and talking about them and the scene reminded me of an x-ray so that's why the idear's on my mind again today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

seitanicverses wrote:
Veg_Eric wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Do you guys know that if you x-rayed an insect--like a butterfly--would it show up on x-ray? You know, as a skeletal thing, or as a splotch or as an object shaped like a butterfly or would it register on x-ray at all? Anyone know?

I assume that doing X-rays on a machine for humans the insect would not be visible.
I think the structural parts of the insect would be too small to be seen in the resolution of the standard X-ray. (if insects like that even have such a "hard" structure frame)

Thanks for answering! So I wonder if you went to a resolution beyond the standard x-ray would a butterfly's hard parts (if they have any) be visible? Like is there a high power enough way that you could see their skeleton given the proper resolution? Do you think it's even theoretically possible? I want to know this for an arty idea I've been thinking of (fictional) and it only needs to be possible.

Does it have to be an x-ray? What about a photogram?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Imogen wrote:
Sarah-Jane, I would ask some of the other WI members/committee about this so as to get their response, especially as I understand that the WI Federation is supportive of anyone 'living their life as a woman' being a member:

Thank you so much, Imogen. I will go along next month and see what happens. Like I said, I don't know the whole story but I would hate to be part of a group that would exclude someone simply for being trans. If I get that attitude from everyone then I will look into finding another group close by.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

@ mollyjade. I will have to google what a photogram is and explore that idea! I just need a mechanism where one can see the inner structures of the body--or at least the bones---as that will be what the artist I'm thinking of works with. But I am open to any sort of ideas that would bear that out. If I could see the organs too---I'd have to look at pictures of the results--organs might be too crowding. I just think bones are pretty. And perfectly arranged. So, however, one can see them and however one can see them at home, plausibly, is what I'm most after.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:18 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
@ mollyjade. I will have to google what a photogram is and explore that idea! I just need a mechanism where one can see the inner structures of the body--or at least the bones---as that will be what the artist I'm thinking of works with. But I am open to any sort of ideas that would bear that out. If I could see the organs too---I'd have to look at pictures of the results--organs might be too crowding. I just think bones are pretty. And perfectly arranged. So, however, one can see them and however one can see them at home, plausibly, is what I'm most after.

A photogram will just show you the outline of an object, so no bones or internal organs. A silhouette.

ETA, but there's some really cool photogram animal art out there, which is what made me think of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:19 pm 

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvztk ... 1_1280.jpg
Here's a butterfly photogram.

Last edited by mollyjade on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm 
WRETCHED

seitanicverses wrote:
I have been kicking around an idea about a character who makes x-ray art and I'm not sure what else is going to happen and what the point of it all wil be but I've been thinking about it for a while (also, is x-ray art a thing?

I think there can be various forms of art and no reason for x-ray art. I personally visualize something like the cover of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" or Day of the Dead type artwork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

mollyjade wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

A photogram will just show you the outline of an object, so no bones or internal organs. A silhouette.

ETA, but there's some really cool photogram animal art out there, which is what made me think of it.

Awesome! Well, I will definitely check photograms out as the artist character I am thinking of could definitely employ such a thing in their designs....I mean, I think they'll want to work with something more than bones to accent their pieces and silhouettes intrigue me. I don't really have it all worked out but I will look at visuals and hopefully can pull something together as a cohesive idea. Thanks for the input! You guys always make me think more broadly than I did starting out, which is why I like to bring my ideas here when they're just sort of forming so I can get a better picture of what to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think what I like about x-ray art is the transparency of the film and the ghostly images of our innards. The transparency of the film seems to be very important to what I have in mind--not a typical canvas backdrop, type of thing. I always find them eerie to look at. Especially ribcage x-rays.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Sometimes the things my students write genuinely creep me out.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I bought a Magic Bullet for the sole purpose of making Isa's dressings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

zelavie wrote:
I bought a Magic Bullet for the sole purpose of making Isa's dressings.

I like the cut of your jib

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm doing a survey on Kobo and instead of asking for my sex or gender, it says "are you..." and has those men/women bathroom signs.

And I know its trying to be cute but I've decided to interpret it as "are you butch or femme"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm so stupid. I am doing our taxes. I had missed a form (part of mortgage interest) so I had us owing $2500 more in taxes than we do. I couldn't figure out why we owed so much then found the second form and it is much, much better. We still owe but a lot less.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1372, 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378 ... 1828  Next