| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382 ... 1824  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Moon wrote:
linanil wrote:
If you use the word colored to describe someone, you are racist.

I'm a colour! A delicious shade of peachy beige.

The term seems so weird to me since we're all coloured. I think a three year old did me since a lot of my colour is outside the lines.

In the US, it used to be used as a derogatory term although you'd never hear someone say it these days, I guess unless you are from Kansas. It was a term also used specifically for discrimination. I don't know the entire history although I remember seeing plenty of older pictures with signs saying 'no coloreds allowed' or water fountains that would have signs that would indicate which one was for 'coloreds'.

Yeah, I've always been pretty interested in the US civil rights movement, been to the MLK museum in Alabama and was one of the few kids in my high school who took American History (as a precursor to moving to Alabama, I figured some more background would be good). So I get the history behind it, but I always found the term odd. Colour is good!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

torque wrote:
i think plenty of older people still say it. my gramma, who is 85 and a liberal and voted for obama, called him colored. in her understanding it's nicer than saying "black". i don't pretend to understand and don't think it's acceptable.

Eh, I think it used to be a much more neutral term, like many other terms for race that are not really racial slurs but are...deprecated. I get the impression that for my parents' generation (septuagenarians), it was a widely-used descriptive term. I don't know that I would consider someone who used it racist without any other evidence, especially if they're elderly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:52 am 
WRETCHED

I don't know how widely used it would be, it isn't a term I've ever heard someone say, even among older relatives, which is why I am surprised to hear someone say it these days. I thought it was a term that dropped off 50 years ago and I always thought of it as a derogatory term.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 am 
Chip Strong

Colored definitely hasn't always been meant as a derogatory term (see the NAACP for example) and maybe that should be kept in mind when speaking to people who still use it. I wouldn't use it though, as I think it's pretty antiquated and somewhat offensive as it pretty much lumps all non-white groups together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

DarthCupcake wrote:
Rachell -- where did you get the klotted kream? Did you have to make it? I want some!

I bought it online from a company who, unfortunately, doesn't ship to the US. It has a pretty short shelf life.

Re: colored - I heard/read somewhere that Henry Louis Gates (black Yale professor*) prefers the term colored. I can't remember the reasons behind his preference. He even has a book called Colored People. That said, it makes me uncomfortable, and I can't imagine anyone but really quite elderly people using it.

It's amazing how much more tolerable your job is when you take on an interesting project. I'm actually a little bit excited about this. I'm sure that excitement will fizzle rapidly when I have to start the implementation phase. I've taken on the task of get us compliant with new waste regulations, which means more recycling (yay!), but my co-workers are absolutely shiitake at recycling (boo!). Hopefully the potential for fines will make them do the right thing...

*You may remember him as the person who was arrested breaking in to his own house because his neighbours just saw a black man trying to break in to a swanky house in a predominantly white neighbourhood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

OK- any recipe that uses the phrase "like magic" is not a recipe I am going to be thrilled to try. ["yes it's 4 cups of broth but it thickens up like magic!"] also, any recipe with the word "surprise" in it.

along similar lines, there is a certain cookbook that i bought a few years ago that almost every recipe is a disappoinment and/or incomprehensible. i like the person and bought the book that they wrote to support them [which is why i don't want to name the book out loud] but i just can't seem to get any of the recipes to work [except one, which is the reason i bought the damn book].

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

torque wrote:
OK- any recipe that uses the phrase "like magic" is not a recipe I am going to be thrilled to try. ["yes it's 4 cups of broth but it thickens up like magic!"] also, any recipe with the word "surprise" in it.

along similar lines, there is a certain cookbook that i bought a few years ago that almost every recipe is a disappoinment and/or incomprehensible. i like the person and bought the book that they wrote to support them [which is why i don't want to name the book out loud] but i just can't seem to get any of the recipes to work [except one, which is the reason i bought the damn book].

That is really irritating.

So, I posted a pic of my breakfast on facebook, and captioned it saying something about how I meant to buy sausage patties, but bought burgers instead and how my breakfast was going to be really weird. And this girl comments, 'You're eating meat?' Ack. No! I hate that I have to write 'veggie' or 'fake' (which I basically refuse to use, since my food is not 'fake') or make up some cutesy word like 'fauxsage' so that people don't think I'm eating meat. Hey, dude, I am, like, craaaaazy vegan over here, so please just assume I mean the vegan equivalent of whatever I'm talking about. Except I know that's not fair to the 'normals', either. It's just silly. It's like when kittee was talking about how she now has to write out 'ethical vegan' to describe herself as a person who gives a shiitake about animals, not a person who is vegan only in their diet, for their health.

ETA: I guess this goes in the vegan pet peeves thread...

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

jeez i just saw that, AP. you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Exactly. Le sigh.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

a "friend" on FB just posted an essay about why Brazil can't, mustn't become evangelical [we're basically in the same position as the US with a growing evangelical population just flexing its political muscle, etc]. evangelism is very tied to polical corruption and thievery here [as much as any other religion, anyway] so it's in the news a lot lately.

so the basis of the argument, from a very revered elder statesman, is that evangelism will neuter brazilian culture, since all the cool stuff comes from african and native origins. fair enough.
then goes on to say that it would turn the state into a "protestant geneva" where english calvinism would turn us all into a bunch of palefaced no-fun zombies listening to muzak, just like happened in america where all fun is prohibited.
erm, what the fizzle? yeah, that's exactly what protestantism did, it stopped us all from having fun. heaven knows americans are a stodgy bunch who never color outside the lines.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:11 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

So this is a quick question - what would you make out of AFR for a pescetarian who like veggies and tofu? My friend wants to try something from it tomorrow but we need something quick and easy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:26 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I have a cat on me. he is making little grumblesnores.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm at work and exhausted. I always do my best at work, but it will vary day to day. Being exhausted is my fault, but it's no reason for the manager to ride my arse. I've been helping out my coworkers all day, and the one time I sit down because my coworkers don't need help and there's nothing to do, the manager comes in and orders me to come help my coworkers - who I literally had helped 2 minutes prior for 20 minutes and then left because they stated they didn't need anything else. It's bad enough we get a 30 minute lunch only and no -state mandated- other work breaks. I guess I'll have to start hiding in the bathroom. Then the manager sends out this snarky email about helping out your coworkers if you have nothing to do. It was pretty obvious who it was directed at, and really peas me off because I'm not lazy, I'm always offering help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:43 pm 

Sarah-Jane wrote:
So this is a quick question - what would you make out of AFR for a pescetarian who like veggies and tofu? My friend wants to try something from it tomorrow but we need something quick and easy.

I think I've made all the AFR tofu recipes and they are all great. My favourites are the chili lime tofu and the masala baked tofu. The jerk asparagus is really good too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The chili lime tofu is great. I like to cube it and sauté up for fajitas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 pm 
Chard Martyr

I am mostly over jetlag and we had an amazing dinner with jojo and nick! And a nice lunch at Idyea. Brighton is so much fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Sarah-Jane wrote:

I like the hoisin-mustard tofu with broccoli/other veggies and brown rice. I think in the recipe it's served in a lettuce wrap, which is also tasty.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 am 

allularpunk wrote:

So, I posted a pic of my breakfast on facebook, and captioned it saying something about how I meant to buy sausage patties, but bought burgers instead and how my breakfast was going to be really weird. And this girl comments, 'You're eating meat?' Ack. No! I hate that I have to write 'veggie' or 'fake' (which I basically refuse to use, since my food is not 'fake') or make up some cutesy word like 'fauxsage' so that people don't think I'm eating meat. Hey, dude, I am, like, craaaaazy vegan over here, so please just assume I mean the vegan equivalent of whatever I'm talking about. Except I know that's not fair to the 'normals', either. It's just silly. It's like when kittee was talking about how she now has to write out 'ethical vegan' to describe herself as a person who gives a shiitake about animals, not a person who is vegan only in their diet, for their health.

ETA: I guess this goes in the vegan pet peeves thread...

This happens to me ALL the time. So annoying. I just respond with noting that I'm vegan and they can just assume I always mean the vegan version.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ScooterDiva wrote:
I'm at work and exhausted. I always do my best at work, but it will vary day to day. Being exhausted is my fault, but it's no reason for the manager to ride my arse. I've been helping out my coworkers all day, and the one time I sit down because my coworkers don't need help and there's nothing to do, the manager comes in and orders me to come help my coworkers - who I literally had helped 2 minutes prior for 20 minutes and then left because they stated they didn't need anything else. It's bad enough we get a 30 minute lunch only and no -state mandated- other work breaks. I guess I'll have to start hiding in the bathroom. Then the manager sends out this snarky email about helping out your coworkers if you have nothing to do. It was pretty obvious who it was directed at, and really peas me off because I'm not lazy, I'm always offering help.

Wow, I hate your boss.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 am 

I was told off for being too conscientious because I didn't want to just go home without checking all my colleagues were okay and I couldn't help anyone. Which is a nice telling-off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I brought glazed and chocolate donuts for my first class this morning as their highest test average treat. Totally not vegan. I had promised them cookies, but have not been well enough to bake 3-4 dozen cookies, but didn't want to deny them a promised treat and I couldn't find anything in bulk that was vegan that they would actually eat.

So, the donuts were gone in about 30 seconds of shark frenzy, and then they complained that they wanted my cookies because I bake the best cookies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Due to freezing rain, my world is covered in a considerable film of ice. So that has me feeling dreary and I don't want to go out or do anything. My way of dealing has been to eat a huge breakfast and now I'm watching the shopping channel? What the heck is wrong with me?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I bought apples for the purpose of eating them with peanut butter, but got home and we have no peanut butter, because I made cookies with it last week. This is really annoying me for some reason.

On a positive note, the place we're probably moving to has a garden! Yesss! I've so missed having a garden living in the flat. I can't wait to start up a little herb patch, dried herbs are not the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm at that point in the day where I have stuff to do, but I don't want to do it because it almost seems pointless. We have less than 30 minutes left, and I just can't be arsed. But I've already read most of the threads I want to read, and I'm caught up on FB, so I might have to do work because I have no time-killers left.

But when I leave work, I get to go home and bake for our trip to Manchester and Northern Vegan Festival! Woooo! I'm super excited. Well, I'm not excited about having to get up at the ass-crack of dawn to get the train. But I'm sure I'll get over it when I get some cookie sammiches from Ms Cupcake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:40 am 
And you never will.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380, 1381, 1382 ... 1824  Next