| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1390, 1391, 1392, 1393, 1394, 1395, 1396 ... 1860  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:15 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

But what about "You have such a purdy mouth"?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Vyapti and I are starting work building an extra room. I am pretty sure it will go smoothly. But have been careful to document everything.

Let's hope we all survive it.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I got "you have such a pretty face" all the time growing up. Luckily no one but my mother told me to actually lose weight then. Once I was at a high school career fair and a modeling scout there tried to sign me up to be a plus-size model and I was mortified. It occurs to me now that was sort of a genuine compliment (as much as commenting on how you could use your body to sell stuff could ever be a compliment), but I was super offended in the moment for being called fat in front of everybody, as if others hadn't noticed yet!

A younger colleague asked me recently how she could be taken more seriously. I told her that gaining 50 pounds worked really well for me, although is perhaps not the healthiest answer. (Then I gave her some more helpful suggestions.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was a size 14 from about age 12 to 22 and would basically get nicely-articulated versions of "You're pretty for a fat girl." I don't know why people think shiitake like that is okay to say. How about "You're pretty." Or nothing at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Fee wrote:
My mom has this horrible habit of calling guys "big guy" and I KNOW this irritates them so the second it comes out of her mouth I just feel like I have to say something but at the same time I don't want to draw more attention to it publicly. But the guys that she calls that have even said how much they hate that, they've been "big guys" their whole life, they don't need to be reminded constantly of their size.

This reminds me of a few years ago, at school. I was in an elevator alone stressing about a lab exam and a really tall guy got on at the next floor (close to 7'), and I blurted out "wow, you're tall!). I immediately felt like the worst jackass and was so mortified and apologized. The guy was super sweet and just laughed and said he hears that a lot.

My husband gets that all the time and he really hates it. He knows that most people don't think that being tall is a bad thing, but that doesn't help with the insecurity. It's just awkward in general when someone feels the need to blurt out something superficial about your size. I don't think you were a jackass at all, but I wish more people were aware that maybe someone who is tall/short/whatever doesn't need that pointed out to them. They've probably figured it out! :)

OK I totally said that to him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 pm 
And you never will.

One of my sisters posted this series of pictures with the caption "Hilarious! Those baseball players don't look like they mind too much, either." (I'll post a link because I'm too lazy to figure out how to make the pictures smaller)

http://lolsnaps.com/news/64695/0/

I know it will just start something if I respond, but it really, really pissed me off. I don't think it's funny or cute, and if the genders were reversed no one would be laughing. Pretty sure everyone would be calling it assault if a man did it to women (or other men), but it's okay for a woman to do it? Still looks like assault to me. I hate this shiitake and just because that one player is smiling doesn't mean he doesn't mind. He might just know that all eyes are on him and he doesn't want to make a scene and look like the bad guy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's midnight and there is a bird singing outside my window. Go to sleep, bird!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, all that crepe about "early birds?" No idea where that came from. Our three are grumpy as hell in the morning no matter how much sleep they got. They do like going to bed early though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
OK I totally said that to him.

But it all worked out because I said we looked like a weird triangle when we were all standing side by side, which made me feel like I was being rude and calling you short, though it just seemed rather comical. I am on the taller end of height but not so much that people comment, so I have to remember that people who are quite tall don't necessarily love it pointed out!

Anyway, you're fine! <3 You're actually quite perfect!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 am 
WELFARIST!

poopiebitch wrote:
One of my sisters posted this series of pictures with the caption "Hilarious! Those baseball players don't look like they mind too much, either." (I'll post a link because I'm too lazy to figure out how to make the pictures smaller)

http://lolsnaps.com/news/64695/0/

I know it will just start something if I respond, but it really, really pissed me off. I don't think it's funny or cute, and if the genders were reversed no one would be laughing. Pretty sure everyone would be calling it assault if a man did it to women (or other men), but it's okay for a woman to do it? Still looks like assault to me. I hate this shiitake and just because that one player is smiling doesn't mean he doesn't mind. He might just know that all eyes are on him and he doesn't want to make a scene and look like the bad guy.

I agree with you. Also, who the hell does shiitake like that???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't concentrate on anything because I think I'm ovulating and it makes me think 'ALL THE BOYS ARE CUTE, GIMME SOME'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm looking to borrow a book on genderqueer issues from the library, and when I searched for some key terms I got this suggested search term, which made me laugh a bit:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ha, that is pretty ridiculous. My library's e-catalogue/search function is equally inept. Maybe they all are?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:04 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've really Hardened The fork Up (thanks jopa) about my job lately. Anxiety about it was really, really interfering with my life, and I'm feeling much better about it. It feels so, so good to be happy and joyful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:15 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

fork yeah!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Went to court today for my inspection sticker ticket. When I got the ticket, the officer said if I got it inspected, it would be dismissed. It wouldn't inspect and the cost for repairs were more than the worth of the car, which is why I bought my new car. I had the old car junked, and got documentation from my mechanic saying as much. My (and everyone else's I've talked to) interpretation of the law is that as long as the unsafe vehicle is off the road, that should be the same as it becoming safe and getting inspected.

But the judge said that it didn't matter, that what the ticket was for was the fact that I violated the law at all, as if the officer had never said it was a fix it ticket. I was too nervous to argue and had to pay a $65 fine. I feel like I got kind of screwed.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:41 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

paprikapapaya wrote:
I've really Hardened The fork Up (thanks jopa) about my job lately. Anxiety about it was really, really interfering with my life, and I'm feeling much better about it. It feels so, so good to be happy and joyful.

Yay! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I keep smelling tempeh bacon today, and since I work at a school which serves government-provided lunches, I highly doubt tempeh bacon is on today's menu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i just ate a good sized thing of pesto with crackers for lunch.
i am having the most amazing garlic belches.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's kind of weird to end a phone conversation by abruptly telling the other person you need to use the bathroom, right? I'm not totally nuts for finding that a little tmi?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Pinko wrote:
It's kind of weird to end a phone conversation by abruptly telling the other person you need to use the bathroom, right? I'm not totally nuts for finding that a little tmi?

Depends on who it is. If it was my partner or my mom, I've totally done that. If it was a co-worker or someone like that, though, it'd be a bit weird.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My family members end conversations with me like that all the time. Except for my one brother, who just keeps right on talking.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

It depends with whom. I've done that with my parents before plenty of times, because they'll just want to talk and talk and sometimes I'll have been holding it for quite a while hoping the conversation will naturally end, but it never does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:15 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Mars wrote:
It depends with whom. I've done that with my parents before plenty of times, because they'll just want to talk and talk and sometimes I'll have been holding it for quite a while hoping the conversation will naturally end, but it never does.

Ha ha yes! I've done this loads of times, as my mother has no concept of a "natural ending" to a conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Just received the other two sections of a big annoying group research paper (an hour and a half before it's due.) The citations in one section are all in the wrong format and there just aren't any in the second section. Everyone thinks this class is kind of a joke because the professor clearly doesn't even read out papers but I'm really not okay with the level of blow-off here and the potential for being reported for plagiarism. I mean, my part of the paper is certainly not my most careful writing ever, but I took it more seriously than that.
Ugh ugh ugh.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1390, 1391, 1392, 1393, 1394, 1395, 1396 ... 1860  Next