| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1395, 1396, 1397, 1398, 1399, 1400, 1401 ... 1827  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Sarah-Jane wrote:
Aww spontaneous pick ups are cute. Admittedly one time I (by I what I actually mean is my friend, without my knowledge) left my number on a guys table at our regular cafe. She thought he was my type because he smoked a pipe, had long hair and was writing a radio play. We had a lunch date and hung out once but he was odd (in the wrong way) and thought I was wasn't interested because I didn't text him enough or something.

Sainsbury's guy did sent me a text. I am not sure what to do. I don't really think I am interested, in anyone, right now and I don't want to be a total jerk by going along with it.

Maybe just tell him you aren't interested in dating anyone right now?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

allularpunk wrote:
Sarah-Jane wrote:
Aww spontaneous pick ups are cute. Admittedly one time I (by I what I actually mean is my friend, without my knowledge) left my number on a guys table at our regular cafe. She thought he was my type because he smoked a pipe, had long hair and was writing a radio play. We had a lunch date and hung out once but he was odd (in the wrong way) and thought I was wasn't interested because I didn't text him enough or something.

Sainsbury's guy did sent me a text. I am not sure what to do. I don't really think I am interested, in anyone, right now and I don't want to be a total jerk by going along with it.

Maybe just tell him you aren't interested in dating anyone right now?

heh, yup! that does seem like the best and truest option. no need to lie when the truth won't hurt anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
First thing on my news feed this morning was a post by this local vegan who I thought was a relatively normal progressive dude. It's a photo of a lady (who may or may not be trans?) waiting in line at a grocery store, with the caption "This tranny caught me taking her picture!" How is that okay? And apparently everyone in the comments thinks it's funny too. Brain explosion.

I said something, and so did someone else. He posted an apology and explained that he didn't realize it was a slur, so hopefully he'll be more aware in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm always amazed when people don't realize that is not a thing people should be saying like that. Of course, I'm frequently told I have no sense of humor because I don't like when people are being laughed at (unless it is something where the person is laughing at the selves, too, of course). People, I tells ya.

Today I got out of work too late to go to yoga and on my walk home realized my keys are in the apartment. At least I get to sit outside at a coffee shop and have some tea while I wait for my partner to be done with class. Ginger tea makes it worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

why do i always think the wee fizzgig is one of the Australians in Australia?

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 pm 

starrynight87 wrote:
My supervisor just referred to me as being "incredibly detail-oriented." Does she know me at all?

Haha this is the exact feeling I get whenever a professor or classmate implies that I have my shiitake together or know what I'm talking about more than half the time.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Lately I'm noticing my eyes hurt after I've been out in the sun for any significant amount of time. It's almost a hangover-y dry feeling. It is very unpleasant!

I wear transition lenses all the time (really, I take them off to sleep and that's it) and so I don't think it's a matter of UV rays or anything. But what the hell else could cause this? At first I thought it was correlated more with physical activity-- doing strenuous exercise outside-- but I've been paying attention more and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the activity, just with being outside on sunny days.

(I know I know, I'm going to the eye doctor soon, but it seemed like a thread about things that don't go with things post!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Sometimes your eyes will just get irritated from allergens or pollen etc. I had that at one point, when my eyes felt like they were so sensitive to light and dry. Turns out I just needed to rest them and not wear contacts for a few weeks. Obvs you should still see an eye doctor though, but it definitely could just be that your eyes need a bit of rest.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Canadian Cancer Awareness booth at the mall yesterday was serving free BBQ'd hotdogs.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Eh, I don't think it's allergy related-- I do get allergy related eye symptoms but never like this before. But thanks for the input!

I'm going to try to make an eye doctor appointment this Friday, before I start working full time and never get a chance again.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am 
Chard Martyr

My eyes bother me a lot too. They are so dry and itchy, and I have no allergies (except bees). My optometrist confirmed the obvious--I wear my contacts too long and don't drink enough water.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm trying my best not to reply to a email that pissed me off royally (from an otherwise very nice coworker).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Oof, I'm bad at restraining myself in situations like that, fisticuffs. Can you write a response to let off steam but then not send it? I usually find that when I do that, I can get on with my day and then when I go back to the e-mail, I've calmed down enough to either tone it down or just go talk to the co-worker.

I just broke an almost full (glass) jar of peanut butter because I picked it up by the lid and the lid wasn't screwed on tight enough. This is particularly tragic because I'm currently hoarding peanut butter in anticipation of moving to the land without peanut butter. To have to throw away an almost full jar (seriously, I'd made two sandwiches from it) makes me sad. (Mayhaps this belongs in First World Problems.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:27 am 
Ninja Master

I had to have a filling this morning which my dentist sprung on me, I thought he was doing that next time. I think he intentionally doesn't tell me these things because he thinks I'll panic!! haha but he has cured my fear of the dentist because he's lovely.

It was the quickest filling I've ever had, it seriously took about 10 minutes. My face is starting to wake up now though, it's weird.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:22 am 

lepelaar wrote:
Oof, I'm bad at restraining myself in situations like that, fisticuffs. Can you write a response to let off steam but then not send it? I usually find that when I do that, I can get on with my day and then when I go back to the e-mail, I've calmed down enough to either tone it down or just go talk to the co-worker.

I just broke an almost full (glass) jar of peanut butter because I picked it up by the lid and the lid wasn't screwed on tight enough. This is particularly tragic because I'm currently hoarding peanut butter in anticipation of moving to the land without peanut butter. To have to throw away an almost full jar (seriously, I'd made two sandwiches from it) makes me sad. (Mayhaps this belongs in First World Problems.)

Which land has no peanut butter?????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 am 

Belgium. Although you can get the all-natural, you-have-to-stir-it-for-a-week-and-it-still-drips-oil stuff at the health food store. But I want me some partially-hydrogenated spreadable shiitake, and I've never found that at the supermarket here. On the plus side, stacks and stacks of Speculoos spread. (I told you this belonged in the FWP thread.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I feel like I forgot something. I got showered/dressed/breakfasted as usual today, but still have like 25 minutes before I need to leave the house. I don't even know how that happened.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

creep wrote:
I feel like I forgot something. I got showered/dressed/breakfasted as usual today, but still have like 25 minutes before I need to leave the house. I don't even know how that happened.

Ha! I love it when that happens! Except for the feeling of forgetfulness.

I had a dream that I met a bunch of you last night. We were at some conference type thing and I was handing out question cards that people had written answers on and kept saying, 'Oh! So good to put a face to the name!' and everyone was super chill and nice.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:

When that happens to me, it usually turns out that I've forgotten to take my meds or clean the litter box.

allularpunk wrote:
I had a dream that I met a bunch of you last night. We were at some conference type thing and I was handing out question cards that people had written answers on and kept saying, 'Oh! So good to put a face to the name!' and everyone was super chill and nice.

That sounds like a really nice dream to have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It really was!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lepelaar wrote:
Belgium. Although you can get the all-natural, you-have-to-stir-it-for-a-week-and-it-still-drips-oil stuff at the health food store. But I want me some partially-hydrogenated spreadable shiitake, and I've never found that at the supermarket here. On the plus side, stacks and stacks of Speculoos spread. (I told you this belonged in the FWP thread.)

Yep. Peanut butter is associated with Dutch people here, and that's a bad thing. :p When I find out a fellow Belgian likes peanut butter, I'm amazed because we don't generally get to eat it anywhere. I only had pb as a kid once, in the Netherlands, and it was horrible. The next time I tried pb, I was vegan I think. So I was at least 25 by then!

ETA: I love it now though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am 

My dad, who has always been a facebook lurker but never a poster, has started posting links to anti-abortion and anti-gay "news" stories, and it's really making me sad. We already have a pretty estranged relationship because we don't agree on anything, but now I feel like I have to call him out on this shiitake and potentially make him want to stop communicating with me altogether. I'm pretty sure I rank second to his fundamentalism.

What do I do? Keep my mouth shut and hide him on my news feed? Or speak up and tell him to stop being a crasshole?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 am 
Chard Martyr

Oops! I accidentally set up a couple of coworkers. Drama background: my good friend who works a bit removed from me and my staff had a huge crush on one my employees, and I tried to subtly help something come into fruition with that, but it was awkward since he does report to me. Then I hired a new girl and I employed them both to work at my wedding. I thanked them both with a restaurant gift card and then they went on a date there, so not my intention, but good for them! Anyway, it is the new girl's birthday today and since I really like her, I planned on us and coworkers taking her out for drinks last night, but then it finally clicked that they were really, really flirty. I know it totally doesn't matter what I think and these things should happen organically anyway, but I feel bad for kind of enabling this new partnership. Wait, am I 23? No! I'm not. Okay, so basically forget everything I've said and know that I am too old for these weird dynamics.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ashley wrote:
My dad, who has always been a facebook lurker but never a poster, has started posting links to anti-abortion and anti-gay "news" stories, and it's really making me sad. We already have a pretty estranged relationship because we don't agree on anything, but now I feel like I have to call him out on this shiitake and potentially make him want to stop communicating with me altogether. I'm pretty sure I rank second to his fundamentalism.

What do I do? Keep my mouth shut and hide him on my news feed? Or speak up and tell him to stop being a crasshole?

i hide these people if they're family because i know i'm not going to change their opinions but i can't stand to read their opinions. if it were a friend ("friend") i would angrily defriend but family is harder. my mother recently said to me "you're friends with uncle george still? after all the garbage he posts?" i have had him hidden since i learned how to hide posts. apparently he is still reading all my commie pinko gay rights stuff though and i bet he luuuuurves it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

What torque said. They are family and it makes it so hard to "unfriend" them. Just hide the feed and be done with it.

Anybody know what the rules are about mirandizing a minor?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1395, 1396, 1397, 1398, 1399, 1400, 1401 ... 1827  Next