| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1396, 1397, 1398, 1399, 1400, 1401, 1402 ... 1890  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Aren't they the same as an adult?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I guess I will just hide him. It's so frustrating, but he's not going to change and I guess it's not worth fighting over.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I guess what I want to know is if a teen is mirandized, aren't they being held? And if so, what are the rules for contacting parents. Because most teens don't know they can shut down the discussion by asking.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 pm 

Yeah all my cop shows give me the impression that they only read your Miranda rights when you're being held in custody, and in the case of juveniles they have to make a reasonable effort to contact the parents right away. Or so I have learned from Pretty Little Liars.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Fee wrote:
Yeah all my cop shows give me the impression that they only read your Miranda rights when you're being held in custody, and in the case of juveniles they have to make a reasonable effort to contact the parents right away. Or so I have learned from Pretty Little Liars.

Can I just say this answer is so much better than the one I got from the school. Which was and I quote "We didn't even know the cop was showing up"

I though I had read somewhere (in protest pamphlets that I have lost) what you said.

I have some calls into lawyers and the like. ugh.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

According to many students yesterday, Chernobyl was when we (the US) bombed Russia to end the cold war. We were talking about ice cores and how that gives us a record of climate, volcanic eruptions, and nuclear activity. Oddly many knew about bomb testing and the bikini islands.

I've come across the same thing in my GED classes: near complete lack of knowledge about the cold war. Do they just skip all that in school?

what the fizzle are they teaching in history class? I wondered the same when we discussed the space program and Apollo. Of course, who knows what they leave my class thinking, so I shouldn't blame the poor history teachers. Or maybe these huge gaps are everywhere, but I just notice because a) I lived through all this history and b) it pops up a bit in my class.

Next year, I'm showing some October Sky clips about Sputnik. If there is a next year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

lavawitch wrote:
According to many students yesterday, Chernobyl was when we (the US) bombed Russia to end the cold war. We were talking about ice cores and how that gives us a record of climate, volcanic eruptions, and nuclear activity. Oddly many knew about bomb testing and the bikini islands.

I've come across the same thing in my GED classes: near complete lack of knowledge about the cold war. Do they just skip all that in school?

what the fizzle are they teaching in history class? I wondered the same when we discussed the space program and Apollo. Of course, who knows what they leave my class thinking, so I shouldn't blame the poor history teachers. Or maybe these huge gaps are everywhere, but I just notice because a) I lived through all this history and b) it pops up a bit in my class.

Next year, I'm showing some October Sky clips about Sputnik. If there is a next year.

I just had to clarify a co-worker's misconception that Deutsche Bank is not a Dutch bank from Denmark. And that people in Germany don't call their country Germany but Deutschland. They only call it Germany in English. Oh, and the Netherlands is not "Oh right, the Netherlands Antilles"...no, there is actually a country called the Netherlands. Maybe they skip geography too?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lavawitch wrote:

We never learned about the cold war when I was in high school. I honestly don't think we got much past the civil war. So that's pretty sad.

Last edited by strawberryrock on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They definitely skip geography these days. When I was in high school, we took geography, but they eliminated that years ago. I do quite a bit of geography in my class where I can.

NCLB isn't helping since that means many schools gut science and social studies until those become tested subjects, because their funding depends on the math and English.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 pm 

I wish I could say whether or not I learned about the cold war in high school, but honestly even if they did teach about it I might have just forgotten because the cold war was so much less interesting than other wars to me. I definitely remember learning about it in college but only because it felt like agonizing weeks before we moved on.

Our geography class was a joke, but we did have one. We didn't even have text books, we had hand outs that were copies of textbook pages. From 1981. And the teacher was so bad, all he ever tested us on was like the population of any given area. And then everyone openly cheated because he didn't care and we didn't care.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I didn't even know geography classes were a thing. Neither of the high schools I went to offered them. Related: I have no practical knowledge of geography.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yeah, I took my first geography class in college, thinking it would be easy/fun. It was hard/fun. There's so many different kinds of geography too!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:30 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

we took something called "map studies" in elementary school, but i think it was more about teaching us how to read maps than about anything we might find on a map. all i remember clearly is that i hated it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

When I went to school in England we took geography from as early as year 5. In Canada we didn't do anything geography until high school. I took multiple courses (human geo, GPS, environment geo) in university and thought it was super fun. Man, there are so many subjects I want to go back and get an undergrad in just for funsies. School is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'd consider basic geography a combo of human and physical geography. In college, that would be split into two separate courses.

I had an awesome geography class in college. The prof is totally batshit, completely politiclqlly incorrect, but really right on about a lot of things. He really emphasized how geography, history, culture, and politics intersect. Google Plaid Avenger. He has a comic book.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Www.plaidavenger.com

He had fake drink recipes in his first edition. Some colleges banned it. Ours made him put a sticker on saying they weren't endorsing the book.

His class is so popular, it's in a massive auditorium. After the April shootings, when nobody was required to come to class and we were all given an A (in his class) every seat was still filled. One semester, he had a DJ for the class. Like I said: batshit. One of the most effective professors ever though. I also had him for an upper level wine geography class. That one wasn't a party, but was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

kfad wrote:
I guess what I want to know is if a teen is mirandized, aren't they being held? And if so, what are the rules for contacting parents. Because most teens don't know they can shut down the discussion by asking.

Cops are only required to read you your Miranda rights if you are under arrest or custodial interrogation. However, just because you are read your rights doesn't necessarily mean you are under arrest. Cops may Mirandize a person who is only being detained, not arrested, to be safe, or because they anticipate the detention becoming an arrest. I don't know about rules for contacting parents. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me, and I will be happy to try and answer them. I am not a lawyer, but I do have a fair bit of knowledge about this area of law.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Debating on whether I should make cookies or not. My tastebuds are screaming YES, YES, YES. My waistline is screaming NO, NO, NO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Make cookies.

Put most of the dough in the freezer, and bake 6. Eat two today, one tomorrow, give three to a nice person at work.

That's my formula!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

In Italy, we went through the whole geography thing three times: 3rd grade - Italian geography, 4th grade - European geography, 5th grade - world geography. Then it started all over again in the three years of the Italian version of middle school. And yet once more in high school. It was specifically a geography class. There were separate history classes. You don't get to choose your classes there, so you just had to do it. And I loved it.

Chatting about this with another coworker from Cuba, who went to school there, she tells me it was the same over there. Of course I guess they didn't care much about Italy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm 
Dead by dawn

We started some geography in grade 3 in Canada, but I left in late October so I don't really remember what was covered, just coloring maps of the world. We did US geography (identifying states, capitols, rivers, major lakes, and mountain ranges on maps) in 5th grade. I don't remember any in middle school, but there might have been. In 9th or 10th we took basic world geography (combo of human and physical.)

We had a major unit on the Cold War in 7th grade social studies because, duh, it was 1983. It was covered again in US History in 11th, but not much... the 20th century was mostly an afterthought except for WWI and II.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I had World Civ & World Geography in 6th grade in the US, and World Civ again in 10th grade. Not much was covered after WW2, and even geography was more of a physical sciences afterthought than anything taught systematically. My cousins in Poland had years and years of geography (human + physical), and I remember being super jealous of all the information they had.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm 

Did you guys in the US have classes just about your state's history/geography? Because we did and I always felt like it was very self centered of us. But it was really interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:12 pm 
Dead by dawn

Fee wrote:
Did you guys in the US have classes just about your state's history/geography? Because we did and I always felt like it was very self centered of us. But it was really interesting.

Yeah, one of our social studies units in 4th grade was California history. There were two other units, but I only remember that one of them was on Japan (so, I guess I got some Japanese geography in there, too.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, we did, but since I was in Virginia, it all made sense, since we had all the cool history anyway. <sticks out tongue>

We had the coolest field trips! Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1396, 1397, 1398, 1399, 1400, 1401, 1402 ... 1890  Next