| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1398, 1399, 1400, 1401, 1402, 1403, 1404 ... 1861  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:15 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm
Posts: 548
Location: pdx
lavawitch wrote:
I'm giving them a pop quiz on it tomorrow. Hopefully they do well so I don't have to reteach before we do groundwater.


My high school science partner: What the frick are we talking about groundwater for? Who cares?! We have faucets!!!

Yes, she said that.

Also, this. Image

_________________
You know what would probably be a more effective ritual? Telling the person who you want to shut up, "You better not talk or we'll pound you." -Footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
DarthCupcake wrote:
I know what happened to me in high school was that we just took too long on all the units leading up to the Cold War--we stopped right before WWII because the school year ran out. I'm pretty disappointed, because I feel like 1900s-present US history is more relevant than pre-independence to 1900. Not that those times AREN'T important, but that the curriculum should've been arranged to give us enough time.

Yeah this happened to us too. Actually, in 8th grade, we didn't even make it to WWI. They've since rearranged things in my hometown's district so that you take US history in 5th, 6th, 8th and 11th now (6th used to be ancient cultures, which I guess has been scrapped) which I kind of feel is a messed up way to address the problem, since now the kids only get 7th grade and one semester in high school of required world history.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Posts: 1137
Location: Melbourne, Australia
lavawitch wrote:
what the fizzle are they teaching in history class?

I always feel I should apologize on behalf of all your slack students. I took American History in high school for a semester and didn't even pick up a pen once. I also made a teacher cry once because despite coming top of the class in tests they couldn't motivate me to do any actual work. It was nothing personal, I just didn't want to be there.

Sorry.

ETA (To all you teachers of shitty students)

_________________
'forking. bogan as forking fork' - Joshua
'I can puke and be naked anywhere I want' - Fee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4583
Location: Surrey, UK
I made the mistake of looking at the food porn thread on myfitnesspal. Grim. I'm off to look at some food porn on here to make my eyes less mad at me!

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4951
Location: WV
julialegume wrote:

Also, this. Image


Jeez, I need about 1000 of these to distribute on a weekly basis.

Also, we have WV history in 4th and 8th grade here. In 8th grade, you can take The Golden Horseshoe test (sounds like something out of Harry Potter now) to compete to know the MOST ABOUT WV OUT OF ALL THE 13 YEAR OLDS. I got to the finals. Mary Lou Retton is from here. That's all I remember. Bam.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12115
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
caterpillar wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
what the fizzle are they teaching in history class?

I always feel I should apologize on behalf of all your slack students. I took American History in high school for a semester and didn't even pick up a pen once. I also made a teacher cry once because despite coming top of the class in tests they couldn't motivate me to do any actual work. It was nothing personal, I just didn't want to be there.

Sorry.

ETA (To all you teachers of shitty students)


I wasn't much different, believe me.

The really crappy part now is that our job reviews depend on student scores, even if they never come to class.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:56 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Curriculums are so weird! The major countries we studied in Jr. High were Brazil, Japan, and the US. When I transferred to England I was like "what the fizzle is Europe?". I mean I wasn't that ignorant, since my heritage is English, but I definitely didn't know much about Europe other than the wars/tasty crisps/France. In retrospect I kind of like how whomever writes curriculums just pick and chose, because I am obsessed with Japan and Brazil to this day, and it was helpful to learn about the US beyond watching Full House and going to Disneyland.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2608
Location: England
Curricula?

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Efcliz wrote:
Curricula?

Ha, I actually looked it up and both are (seemingly) correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:14 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4583
Location: Surrey, UK
I'm about to have an office space moment and batter the shiitake out of this forking printer if it doesn't print my stuff soon! GARRRR

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
PPK, I have a moral conundrum and I need your help.

There is a festival next week (Bottle Rock in Napa - http://bottlerocknapavalley.com/) and my friend and her boyfriend have passes. However, he can't make it till Saturday, so they are offering me his pass to use on Wednesday night/Thursday/Friday. For free!

Am I the most awful and sketchy and horrible teacher if I use two of my sick days to go drink wine and listen to the Avett Brothers and Joan Jett?

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:46 am 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4659
You get a set amount of sick days in the US? I think read that before somewhere here but I still don't really get it. How many do you get? Do you just say "hey I'm sick! Not coming in! Seeya!" Or what?

Also, no, you are an awesome teacher DC and should just do it (assuming you wont get caught if that's even a thing)

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2932
No! My parents are teachers and used their sick days for whatever they needed to use them for. Usually it was for being sick, but sometimes it was for a "mental health" break. Go to the concert and have fun.

_________________
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 428
Location: Ozone Park, NY
Sick days depend on where you work. At my first job, I had 12 sick days. The understanding was that you would get sick about once a month. Of course, if you were to actually take all those sick days it would have been considered a little excessive and unprofessional.

At my current job, there is no set number of sick days. They just rely on your honesty and maturity not to overdo it. And yes, you just call your boss the morning of when you get sick and tell them, in your best croaky whiny whisper, that you are sick and won't be able to make it to work. Legally, they are not allowed to ask you for details. If they do ask and you are not really sick, you can make up ghastly gastro-intestinal distress stories in revenge.

If you call early enough so that your boss is not even in yet, you get to leave them a message on their voice mail. When I was a manager I would get plenty of those. Sometimes I wanted to give awards for best performance.

And then there are people who do not get ANY sick days and lose their jobs if they dare to actually get sick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:21 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 1690
Location: Ravenclaw Tower
It's exit exam day, and there is lots of drama. Not from my students, but from teachers who apparently can't work well with others. I hate this time of year.

_________________
And we all learn a lesson - don't taste mystery batter off the floor - it could be toxic. -Petunia


Writing Praying Vegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: santa cruz!
vijita wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Curricula?

Ha, I actually looked it up and both are (seemingly) correct.


ha ha, NERDS!
I love that you actually looked it up, vijita. :)

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6496
Location: Boston, MA
allularpunk wrote:
Jeez, I need about 1000 of these to distribute on a weekly basis.

Also, we have WV history in 4th and 8th grade here. In 8th grade, you can take The Golden Horseshoe test (sounds like something out of Harry Potter now) to compete to know the MOST ABOUT WV OUT OF ALL THE 13 YEAR OLDS. I got to the finals. Mary Lou Retton is from here. That's all I remember. Bam.


I took the Golden Horseshoe in 8th grade and really didn't do very well. It was really disappointing to my step-grandma because she had gotten one, and I was the 'last shot' to have another in the family. The kid I dated in college HAD gotten one though along with going to the National Georgraphy Bee in DC a couple of times. He just liked to sit and look at atlases and would memorize things.

My WV History is Dolly Sods and that sycamore tree that someone camped inside or something. Oh, and some kind of golden plates buried in the Ohio River? Mason and Dixon? Jennifer Garner is also from WV, and she rattled off all kind of state facts and sang a song on one of those late night programs.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4951
Location: WV
Pringle Tree! That's in my home county!

Also, to be fair, I only opted to take the golden horseshoe because you got to leave regular history class and go to the library to study for it and a boy I thought was cute was also doing it, so basically I just tried it out because of a boy. My motivation for most things...boys and sandwiches (also both pretty big reasons I exercise!).

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4659
allularpunk wrote:
and a boy I thought was cute was also doing it, so basically I just tried it out because of a boy. My motivation for most things...boys and sandwiches (also both pretty big reasons I exercise!).

Ahahahah. I only did Higher graphic design in my final year of highschool because the cute boy. Still don't understand sandwiches, mind.

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
DarthCupcake wrote:
PPK, I have a moral conundrum and I need your help.

There is a festival next week (Bottle Rock in Napa - http://bottlerocknapavalley.com/) and my friend and her boyfriend have passes. However, he can't make it till Saturday, so they are offering me his pass to use on Wednesday night/Thursday/Friday. For free!

Am I the most awful and sketchy and horrible teacher if I use two of my sick days to go drink wine and listen to the Avett Brothers and Joan Jett?

I think I know a (college) instructor who cancelled class to go to a show once. I would...probably do it. You obviously work really hard and care an awful lot about your students and their learning, so either way, you're by now means an awful or sketchy teacher. You deserve a little break!

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6123
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
Just found out that the photographer who I back up is off on sick leave again, perhaps forever. With no notice. She had cancer last year and I don't know what's up, but I hope it's not returned. All I know is I'm freaking out because I'm busy enough as it is with graphic design. I guess I'm the photographer again. I'm so busy today I could actually bawl.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4951
Location: WV
interrobang?! wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
and a boy I thought was cute was also doing it, so basically I just tried it out because of a boy. My motivation for most things...boys and sandwiches (also both pretty big reasons I exercise!).

Ahahahah. I only did Higher graphic design in my final year of highschool because the cute boy. Still don't understand sandwiches, mind.


Still don't understand YOU, mind.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12115
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
So. How stupid do you have to be to smoke pot in the bathroom adjacent to the criminal justice classrooms? These classrooms are staffed by police officers and they frequently have in the drug dogs for demos. Sometimes they also put in the quilted suits and go outside my windows to do attack demos. I give up teaching on those days.

(this is actually a regular occurrence and I just don't get it.)

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
I have gone through an exceptional number of sick days this year, admittedly. I've taken a couple mental health days, and also been genuinely sick a number of times.

However... Sick days exist. They're for using. And I'm almost definitely not coming back to this district next year, and my sick days don't pay out when I leave.

I just have to submit a sub request through the online substitute system, and my friend has a friend who is a sub in my district who needs work, so I feel like I'm doing a good thing by giving her work.

I AM SO JUSTIFYING THIS I feel so guilty.

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4659
allularpunk wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
and a boy I thought was cute was also doing it, so basically I just tried it out because of a boy. My motivation for most things...boys and sandwiches (also both pretty big reasons I exercise!).

Ahahahah. I only did Higher graphic design in my final year of highschool because the cute boy. Still don't understand sandwiches, mind.


Still don't understand YOU, mind.

You're toaty wee enough to fit in a sammich...

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1398, 1399, 1400, 1401, 1402, 1403, 1404 ... 1861  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aelle, Google [Bot], Kelly, rachell37 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer