| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1402, 1403, 1404, 1405, 1406, 1407, 1408 ... 1827  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm done smoking forever. Which is all fine and good until I have 2 glasses of wine. Sigh. That's when it gets tough.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just registered to do a physics teaching exam. Test date is next Friday. The next possible time is in August, which is too late for job hunting, plus I'd have to pay $80 to add it to my license, instead of letting my school pay.

So, this means I have to learn physics between now and then, but not tonight because I have lesson planning to do.

I have nothing against physics, I just remember next to nothing and its been years since my last physics class. But, it is my best chance at another teaching job (I've already got chem cert).

I've done similar before: I learned differential equations and got a B+ in 4 days because I was a lazy asparagus all semester. It just all depends on whether or not I can get my focus going, and I won't know until I try. This is where depression just kills me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:51 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Beaker taught me Higher physics at school and I still managed to grasp a C. You are way way waaaaaay to the forking way more brilliant than him, LV, so you totally got this!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

mollyjade wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Unless you are left handed, in which case you are more likely to chop your hand off. I can't use a knife with my right hand at all, which is weird because I can't use scissors with my left hand.

It never occurred to me that some serrated knives are handed. Thanks!

Oh, also: this is blowing my mind right now. I'm left-handed but this has never occurred to me.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That was awesome! I'll need that much caffeine to do this, but I'll skip the boiled cabbage.

Yep! If you read fine print on knife packages, they usually have a warning that they are dangerous to lefties. This is why I'm scared of knives. I tried to earn using serrated knives since my mom doesn't like anything else. I still can't cut bread or tomatoes. I need to buy a leftie serrated knife.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i had boiled cabbage for dinner tonight! SCIENCE!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So my building just put up a sign in the lobby telling us that when it comes time to install air conditioning units, we have to have them professionally installed or installed by the building manager because they don't want screws or anything put in the window casings and they want it secure, blah blah blah. But then they say, "it's up to your manager whether he has time to do it and it's will be $35 to put in and $25 to take out." THEN, they say, "no ACs above doorways." But, my living room has three windows and ALL of them are situated above the entryway.

First of all, no. I'm not paying $60 for something I can do myself. Secondly, there is no way on God's green earth that I'm not keeping my living room cool this summer. I live on the third floor and last summer was almost unbearable during heat waves, even with the AC running.

What would you guys do? I'm leaning toward putting in an AC myself in the bedroom and then just telling them I had a guy come in and do it if they ask...but they'll certainly notice the AC all breaking the rules above the doorway. Should I write them and explain my situation and see what they say? It seems kind of cruel to make me sit in the heat all summer and get migraines and sweat all over my cats.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would just do it, because of they say no you are out of luck. Better to just hope to not get caught and/or plead your case when and if.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Can they really do that to you? Isn't that a violation of some sort? To tell you that you can't use an AC during the summer because of something you can't change?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I bought a bottle of white wine from Trader Joe's and tossed it in the freezer to chill quickly (my TJ's doesn't have any pre-chilled wines). I get wrapped up in my writing project and forget about it.

An hour and a half later, I go to retrieve it. It turns out that it froze, expanded, and shattered the bottle, leaving me with wine slushy everywhere.

I do not even know how I exist!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It wouldn't solve the over the doorway issue, but you can get a portable AC unit that doesn't require screwing in or any kind of permanent installation. It has a little plastic piece that you put in your window that allows air to vent to the outside.

We got one when we lived in differently-inhabitable Virginia, where the A/C didn't reach upstairs until we made the downstairs freezing cold. They're loud, but they do the trick.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AC12000E-0 ... onditioner of course, a window unit + $60 might be cheaper than a wheeled portable. I think it paid for itself in lower AC bills for us, but your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 am 
Shopped till she dropped

LW: you can do it! It'll come back to you super quick.
DC holy crepe! I've frozen wine and forgot about it loads of times. I've had wine freeze on me, but never shatter. Hope it wasn't too big of a pain to clean. Out of dorky wine girl curiosity, what kind of wine was it?

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I dreamed I was having a seizure or something. And that when it was over I couldn't move my arm, it felt all heavy and I was freaking out. So I wake up, and one of the cats is sitting on my arm. Ofcourse.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:12 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Haha! Cute!

I had a similar thing once (without the cute). I dreamed that I was laying in bed and opened my eyes and there was a giant spider with weird feet right next to my face on my pillow. I jolted awake from the fright and jumped up to turn on the light, and crumpled to the floor. My first thought was "I'm paralyzed! I've been bitten!" And then I realized that I had been laying on my right side and my right leg was completely asleep.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lavawitch wrote:
That was awesome! I'll need that much caffeine to do this, but I'll skip the boiled cabbage.

Yep! If you read fine print on knife packages, they usually have a warning that they are dangerous to lefties. This is why I'm scared of knives. I tried to earn using serrated knives since my mom doesn't like anything else. I still can't cut bread or tomatoes. I need to buy a leftie serrated knife.

i cut my hand the day before yesterday, cutting open a mangosteen with a serrated knife. true story. i almost never use them, have a visceral hate of them. never knew it was related to handedness [never had problems with my rightie chef's knives]. The More You Know!!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Can they really do that to you? Isn't that a violation of some sort? To tell you that you can't use an AC during the summer because of something you can't change?

I feel like it's approaching the territory of violation if not already there.

Plus, just dickish.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:47 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Bathsheba, I'm sure Chicago has a tenants union or some type of tenants' rights organization. Contact them and see if they can give you advice or help.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 am 
Chard Martyr

interrobang?! wrote:
that stupid baked potato shop.

NOT STUPID.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So awesome that I'm hacking up a lung from the whole quitting smoking thing. Getting out the toxins and junk! Painfully and loudly!

Also, it's totally 10:30 and the dude whose show I'm supposed to be hanging is not here yet. Um, dude? Your show? Remember that? How if you don't put it up then you don't graduate? That thing we're doing today? Hello?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

allularpunk wrote:
So awesome that I'm hacking up a lung from the whole quitting smoking thing. Getting out the toxins and junk! Painfully and loudly!

Also, it's totally 10:30 and the dude whose show I'm supposed to be hanging is not here yet. Um, dude? Your show? Remember that? How if you don't put it up then you don't graduate? That thing we're doing today? Hello?

Given my high school seniors, this behavior doesn't surprise me at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lavawitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Yeah, you would think that by the time they're about to graduate from GRADUATE SCHOOL, it would change, but nope.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 am 
Discovered unobtainium

allularpunk wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Yeah, you would think that by the time they're about to graduate from GRADUATE SCHOOL, it would change, but nope.

You would, but the problem is deeper than just lack of responsibility or laziness. The kids are being trained to have an entitlement complex that includes their being able to do things whenever they feel like it, with little to no regard for the inconvenience to others. My college professor friends have been complaining about this more and more for the past few years; they say its getting worse. My Russian prof friend has had a horrible time the past 3 years, which is really worrying because presumably only the more motivated students take RUSSIAN to fulfill their language requirement.

Since colleges and universities need people to graduate to keep their statistics looking good, I wouldn't be surprised if they are starting to be more lenient about things too.

It is all pretty scary. When I was in school I didn't have to walk uphill barefoot in the snow both directions, but I had to take tests on designated test days, and if I just didn't study, I either had to fake a horrible, near fatal illness or suck it up and get a crappy grade. None of this *pat on the head* "you can take it next week if you want" bullshiitake. Since the kids know we can't fail them, they don't have to study and take tests when they are assigned. Everything is on their terms. No forking wonder we are seeing this sort of thing happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

You hit the nail on the head, LW. NCLB has RUINED our education system. I talk to my colleagues all the time about how lazy and entitled the students are now...we ask each other if we were like that when we were in school, and we really honestly don't think we were! It's amazing what they get away with now.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 am 
Discovered unobtainium

We haven't even started to see the real harm from NCLB, but we will really start to see it within the next 3-5 years. The kids starting high school now are the kids who weren't taught science in elementary school because it isn't a tested subject. We already see the impact of that here, but it is going to get a LOT worse as not teaching science gets more widespread and moves beyond just the disadvantaged/high head start populations. Even worse, science is where kids really hone their critical thinking skills.

In 10 years, US student achievement in science is going to be at an all time, tragic low. This is going to be very, very difficult to reverse. And, at the same time, in high school science, we are stuffing the standards full of crepe to teach even while every scrap of research shows that its depth, not breadth that we need. I teach more topics than a year long college sequence does. Can't do all of them very well, so a lot of coverage is really shallow.

I'm not at all against standards or even standardized testing, but how the testing is being used is killing us. Too many topics aside, our state exam is very reasonable and covers things we should expect the kids to know. The tests don't do anything to foster critical thinking or analysis, but they do at least set some accountability standards. But now my job reviews depend on the kid who never comes to school passing. If that kid fails, it is assumed I just didn't do my job. With our student population, our test scores are always much lower than the wealthier, more homogenous schools in the district. I guess that means those teachers are better than we are! That's what our lovely governor (and Bush, and Obama, and every other stupid politician) think.

Gah! I'm done now. I can't believe I just spent my lunch 15 minutes ranting. Oops.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:16 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Not to continue your rant, but my final thoughts! My mom taught 5th grade and last year she had the first group that had NCLB the entire way through. She said it was crazy how kind of dumb they were. I mean, yeah, you get good groups and bad groups with variances in motivation and intelligence, but I remember her saying that it was like they didn't know how to think. Scary. Also, taking the arts out of schools isn't helping.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1402, 1403, 1404, 1405, 1406, 1407, 1408 ... 1827  Next