| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431 ... 1842  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

#1. Agreed that #2 is more crisp, but I like the shape of the letters (especially the non-modern-English letters) in #1 better.

(How do you make the macron work? I've failed to discover how to print it for Indian transliterations, and usually end up 'defaulting' to Devanagari because it's easier.)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Okay currently (including off the PPK) have 2 votes for #1 and 5 for #2. My default font is Adobe Caslon so I have a bit of a soft spot for it as well.

lutin, I can't speak for any other operating system, but on a mac I activated the US Extended keyboard (http://cl.ly/image/1I2q1q0d1g0b) and then a macron is Option+A, letter (i.e., an a with macron would be "Option+A, a")

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:06 pm 
And you never will.

I'm making a birthday cake for a friend's daughter today and it is not turning out at all how I had envisioned. After I finished a huge difficult bit of the decorating, I realized a different way I could have done it that would have been SO much easier and looked SO much better, but I don't have the time or ingredients to redo it now, so I just feel stupid and like the cake is a piece of shiitake. And I feel so guilty about charging my friend for it when it's not as good as it should have been.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks zwingtip! (I like your default font.)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aw, pb! Having seen your work, I bet it looks great and your friend will never know about the hypothetical better version that's in your head.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

poopiebitch wrote:
I'm making a birthday cake for a friend's daughter today and it is not turning out at all how I had envisioned. After I finished a huge difficult bit of the decorating, I realized a different way I could have done it that would have been SO much easier and looked SO much better, but I don't have the time or ingredients to redo it now, so I just feel stupid and like the cake is a piece of shiitake. And I feel so guilty about charging my friend for it when it's not as good as it should have been.

I bet it looks way better than you think it does, poopie! I know it doesn't really help to hear it from others if you're feeling bad about it, but I know your friend will like it and will not feel at all bad about paying you!
Maybe take a look at cakewrecks to make yourself feel better?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Pinko wrote:
I vote Palladio.

Me too.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PB, I wish you could make my b-day cake. I wouldn't even care if it looked like the nightmare My Little Cthulu cake that ijdi posted. I just want to have b-day cake of which I have no involvement in the making.

I just realised that we have a new start tomorrow and the other admin is off. So I have to set up the new person's computer (before she needs to use it), do her induction, and deal with the stuff the other admin usually does. I'm gonna be exhausted when I get home tomorrow. But at least the day will go by quickly. And I'm on holiday Friday through Monday! Woo! And my new waterproof gear will be with me on Tuesday - yaaay!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:49 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I thought it was nightmareish My Little Pony. Cthulu is a little less scary.

And, PB, I have utmost faith that your cake will be beautiful just as it is!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

zwingtip wrote:
Okay currently (including off the PPK) have 2 votes for #1 and 5 for #2. My default font is Adobe Caslon so I have a bit of a soft spot for it as well.

lutin, I can't speak for any other operating system, but on a mac I activated the US Extended keyboard (http://cl.ly/image/1I2q1q0d1g0b) and then a macron is Option+A, letter (i.e., an a with macron would be "Option+A, a")

Caslon! It's classic for a reason.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I agree. Pb is not capable of making a subpar cake.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:12 pm 
Impressive boner

j-dub wrote:
I thought it was nightmareish My Little Pony. Cthulu is a little less scary.

Never thought I'd ever encounter this concept!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm 
And you never will.

You guys are the nicest. I'm still not really happy with it, but my friend seemed pleased, and so did the birthday girl, so that's all that really matters. Plus I guess I learned something for next time?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You just have super high standards and are critically thinking about your work, so,you notice things nobody else ever would in a gazillion years.

My mom used to be like this with knitting. She would knit me a lovely sweater, I'd wear it and be happy, then one day I'd come home from school and my sweater would be unraveled back into yarn balls so she could redo it. The redo would be maybe a bit nicer, but I'd never have noticed otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Just sent in my application for a university. Waiting game. Oi.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

missdelaney wrote:
Just sent in my application for a university. Waiting game. Oi.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This probably won't mean much to anyone who isn't in the UK, but I just watched the British Soap Awards on TV because a friend of mine was nominated for a couple. It is very strange watching someone you know well being a celebrity (albeit one of the D list kind) on national television.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:43 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

poopiebitch wrote:
You guys are the nicest. I'm still not really happy with it, but my friend seemed pleased, and so did the birthday girl, so that's all that really matters. Plus I guess I learned something for next time?

Don't be too hard on yourself! I bet the cake looked good and you should never feel bad about charging someone for your services. You thought of a better way to do it and now you know for the next time. That's part of the creative process.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 pm 
Semen Strong

I never hear Gotye without thinking of goatse....

And yes, PB, you're amazing! I wish I could buy cakes from you!

And Lavawitch, that is kind of an amazing level of perfectionism!

I feel very half-assed in comparison :)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So much processing in my head today. Also, grumpy today. Feeling like I really need to figure some shiitake hardcore out. Like realizing... I only actually have two friends I consider close in Portland. And they are not very considerate to be honest. They talk about things they do after-the-fact all the time and in my head I'm just left wondering... Why the heck was I not included in this? Not even a mention until after. Obviously I don't expect to be included in everything ever but to this extent it makes me feel like a second choice. Which I am also that to my BFF's boyfriend. Again, fine, but sometimes even pre-planned stuff will be cut short due to this factor. Should I try to make more super close friends here in Portland? Or Gould I go back to Vancouver where there are two friends that I love and my parents... Or should I move to California where there is another friend I love and also amazing weather?

All of these questions are currently rhetorical. I will ask more in depth probably as time goes on. This is just what my brain is doing today.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My friend's graduation was today. My mother ended up giving me the dress she was going to wear, because she has to wear a knee brace and she wanted something longer to cover the knee brace. The dress was okay, but it was so tight in the chest! My mom said, "Don't stretch out my dress!" and I was like "I can't make my boobs smaller, sorry!" I felt like I could barely breathe. And then when I got home, I couldn't get the dress off because of how tight it was on my boobs. I had to have my mom help extricate me from the stupid dress. Not my finest moment.

But the graduation was okay. We missed the first hour of it, because my mom wasn't paying attention, and went 40 miles past the exit before we realised! So we missed all the long speeches at the beginning, but got to see the part where everyone got their degrees. I jokingly asked my mom if she was going to get lost on the way to he reception, and she said "no, of course not!" Well, guess what. She missed the exit again. But finally we made it to the country club. There was a powder room. A powder room! I couldn't get over that. (My mom and I snuck down the hallway to see what the men's room was called. It was just called the mens room. How disappointing.) My friend had asked the club to have some vegan options, so they had salad, bread with little tiny vegan smart balance packages, all the vegetables were made without butter, and there was a pasta bar that had marinara sauce and various veggies you could mix in. My friend apologised because she was going to stop at whole foods and get cookies for me, but she had been too busy. She was feeling bad that she didn't have time on her own super busy graduation day to get me cookies! She's so nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
little tiny vegan smart balance packages

WHAT?! I wonder if these are for retail sale? Also, your friend sounds super nice!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, they're useful! They are tiny round tubs and they say "100% vegan" right on them! I'm not sure if they are available to individuals. They seem like something that is sold in bulk. I first saw them at a restaurant last year, and took them all home with me. And then when my mom was in the hospital, they gave her a couple every day with her gross hospital meal (and I stole them all, because I am a terrible daughter). I can just grab one from the fridge and toss it in my purse. My relatives always do veggies without butter for me, so then I just add the smart balance. Also good for those restaurants that serve free bread.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

jogirl wrote:
This probably won't mean much to anyone who isn't in the UK, but I just watched the British Soap Awards on TV because a friend of mine was nominated for a couple. It is very strange watching someone you know well being a celebrity (albeit one of the D list kind) on national television.

I think I'd find it weirder to see them playing a character in a soap! Or don't you follow the series they're in?

Sorry you're feeling left out Mars. Do you say to them 'how was I not invited to this?' when this stuff comes up or has it become too big a deal in your head to feel you can mention it? I think you should start saying it each time and only take offence if they continue not to invite you or mention stuff at the time. (I'm well known for feeling upset if people I'm close with meet up and don't include me so whenever they are talking about seeing each other without me they qualify with the reason I didn't hear about it at the time, it's quite sweet really!)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Further to that Mars I'd say you should definitely try to forge new friendships regardless of whether things improve with those two friends. Things change and people move away, you can't rely on local friends staying local - plus if you meet someone you think you can connect with you should always take the leap to try getting to know them better. As a 46 year old I think friends are increasingly hard to find as you get older (often they have established friends already, have different interests, are busy with other stuff going on - its hard to find the time andhe space to make lasting connections unless you are forced together by work or something). So my advice is to make friends while you are young and it is easy - people are open to finding friends at certain stages of life, in your twenties you tend to do more open social things which it is easy to join in with and you can cement friendships with all your shared adventures and build a shared history of tales to tell and laugh about in the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431 ... 1842  Next