| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432 ... 1891  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:57 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rentaghost wrote:
jogirl wrote:
This probably won't mean much to anyone who isn't in the UK, but I just watched the British Soap Awards on TV because a friend of mine was nominated for a couple. It is very strange watching someone you know well being a celebrity (albeit one of the D list kind) on national television.

I think I'd find it weirder to see them playing a character in a soap! Or don't you follow the series they're in?

Ha, not really, it's an afternoon soap so I am usually at work, though I did watch a couple of times so I could say I'd seen it. His character has been killed off now!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

rentaghost wrote:
As a 46 year old I think friends are increasingly hard to find as you get older (often they have established friends already, have different interests, are busy with other stuff going on) so make friends while you are young and it is easy as people are open to finding friends, tend to do more open social things and you can cement friendships with all your shared adventures and build a shared history of tales to tell and laugh about in the future.

This is a good reminder. I am 26 and have a hard time making friends that are my age, the people I connect with are usually 32-47. The specific two Portland friends I mentioned have known each other only exactly as long as I have known them (we really have always been a threesome and that's part of the reason it feels bad when they do that) BUT sometimes I do feel that freind jealously with people that have known each other a decade longer than they've known me, which is super silly.

So a little more detail, because why not. So, moving to Vancouver seems... the safest? of options, but... while I do pine for it sometimes, I look hard at myself and I feel pretty sure that it's not the long-term city for me. It feels odd, it really does, to be born and raised in Canada for 20 years and to be saying this, but I really don't feel Canadian. I mean, I know I'm Canadian, and I like embracing the silly stereotypes with it, like how I say "zed", but the idea of ever living there again feels a little odd. Like I feel unsure that even if I met and fell madly in love with someone there would I really want to stay there for too long. I don't know. And the queer community there felt so disjointed. Not like the family that PDX is...

Then there's Portland. It feels like home. But yet, I have no ties here... other than friends. I have some really special people I can call friends here. But only two do I feel are that 'close' kind that I yearn for, and even then I feel left wanting (via examples previously). I have even more really really forking amazing people here that I can call acquaintances. But I've never been able to get any of those to 'the next level', and I'm fine with that. Sometimes people are always just good acquaintances.

Then there's SoCal. I have two friends in San Jose right now, one of them being a particularly close friend. They are both probably moving eventually, but the one I'm closest with will stay in SoCal. Also, I have some friends/acquaintances in LA, too (okay, like, two, but w/e). Well, the one friend I'm really close with in SJ... He's kind of my ideal friend. When he lived here it was perfect. He's considerate, thoughtful, pays attention to me... I want to live in the same town as a friend like that. Also, I've always pined for SoCal. Before I met him even, I went on my first, and still only, vacation by my self... to LA. I forking love the shiitake out of palm trees. But it seems so risky. It's expensive, I have no job leads and no savings. And I'd be SO FAR from people I love not only here, but Vancouver. At least PDX seems reasonable to get to from Vancouver.

And there is my current dilemma! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:43 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

My thought is- go to the place that you want to be. It never hurts to try...and you're young! you can! why not! You can always come back to Portland!

(however, if you like portland, you'll love Seattle way more, and I'm totally selfish and would be your best friend and go out with you all the time and dance and eat vegan food and we'd have a lovely time of it)

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

my friend is literally the coolest person I know.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I dithered about spending money I shouldn't really be spending, managed to rationalise it on Tuesday when eBay was still telling me I could expect delivery on Friday, but then once I'd paid it told me Saturday, then I got a message from the vendors telling me to have someone available at my address on Monday, so I phoned my boss and he said I was okay to take it as flexi time (even though I only have 2 hours accrued, so that was nice of him).

The email said that from this morning I'd be able to find out my one hour delivery slot for today. That would be very handy, I'd be able to have a shower, or run some errands, but every time I refresh it still just says "at delivery depot". Gah! I bet it will turn up at around 5pm or something stupid. Or I'll return from a trip to the toilet to find a non-delivery card on my doormat.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 am 
Impressive boner

jogirl wrote:
rentaghost wrote:
I think I'd find it weirder to see them playing a character in a soap! Or don't you follow the series they're in?

Ha, not really, it's an afternoon soap so I am usually at work, though I did watch a couple of times so I could say I'd seen it. His character has been killed off now!

One of my friends was in Hollyoaks for time, playing a serial killer. That was odd to see, but it was stranger seeing him as a breakfast television presenter.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 am 
WELFARIST!

dropscone wrote:
I dithered about spending money I shouldn't really be spending, managed to rationalise it on Tuesday when eBay was still telling me I could expect delivery on Friday, but then once I'd paid it told me Saturday, then I got a message from the vendors telling me to have someone available at my address on Monday, so I phoned my boss and he said I was okay to take it as flexi time (even though I only have 2 hours accrued, so that was nice of him).

The email said that from this morning I'd be able to find out my one hour delivery slot for today. That would be very handy, I'd be able to have a shower, or run some errands, but every time I refresh it still just says "at delivery depot". Gah! I bet it will turn up at around 5pm or something stupid. Or I'll return from a trip to the toilet to find a non-delivery card on my doormat.

And this is exactly why all forms of the post makes me crazy.

Had a nice enough weekend with my family. My aunt is a bit of a bisque, but she was generally ok. We're just really different types of people, and she's done some hurtful things to my mom that I find it difficult to get over, but...family. I had a long talk with my mom about T, which was good for both of us. And I got to hang out with my totally awesome nephew, who kept giving me big big hugs. I love it when kids love me. I never experienced that before the past couple of years because kids always made me nervous, and I think they could tell. It's really the one thing I have gotten out of teaching small children...being able to be comfortable around them.

Also, begin day one of basically non-employment! I am terrified. I mean, I have a few days of work...a couple teaching sites, 3 gallery shifts, maybe teaching a cooking class, but most days I am going to be on my own. Feels odd. I'm going to read a lot and watch movies and run and do yoga and pilates and see my friends and pull weeds in T's garden, and after this weekend, swim a bunch. That should keep me occupied enough, yeah?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:38 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

booberthefraggle wrote:

my friend is literally the coolest person I know.
Your friend misspelt mise-en-scène, which is conventionally hyphenated and italicised. Deus ex machina is conventionally italicised, but not hyphenated, so that is sort of misspelled as well. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aha I'll let her know!
the key words in there were Mulder and Buffyverse though.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

How is Mulder not recognised?! MULDER!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

missdelaney wrote:
My thought is- go to the place that you want to be. It never hurts to try...and you're young! you can! why not! You can always come back to Portland!

I agree you should go where you want to be. There doesn't seem much point building a life and friendship circle somewhere you are not going to want to stay long term - it could lead you to be stuck there because you don't want to lose what you have with your freinds.

However if you like Portland you could try to sort out the issues with your two friends and try to move things on with one or two of your favourite aqaintences. Years back someone I would meet and chat to regularly at union meetings bit the bullet and said "hey, this might seem a bit weird but I've recently decided to be proactive in making friends - I really like you and we get on, I feel we could become good friends, do you want to hang out with me? Shall we do something?" And we became good friends and I met my partner through her! If you feel able to be upfront and say something like that you might be pleasantly surprised! Why not give it a few months while you try to save a bit for California and see if you still want to move when you reach your deadline?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

dropscone would it work to put a note on the door to the delivery person asking them to give you a few minutes to get to the door? Then if you are in the bathroom you should have time to jump out of the shower if needed.

Enjoy your enforced 'holiday' AP!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I worked a wedding until 1 am yesterday (this morning?) and today, despite it being a provincial stat, I have to work at 8:30. Grumble moan complain. My body is so, so tired. Moving 70 pound tables at midnight really sucks.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 am 
Inflexitarian

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I really wish I known about recreation therapy before I became an rd. That job seems so awesome! Career change in 10 years maybe?? Sigh!

One of my ex's did recreation therapy. It sounded really super cool! Nothing wrong with career changes :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 am 
ugh

It kinda makes me sad when people post that thing on Facebook about everybody wishing for lots of different things but cancer patients only have the one wish, to cure cancer. I mean, yes, cancer is awful and obviously people with cancer don't want to have it. But they are still regular people who would actually like to win the lottery or whatever.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

b.vicious wrote:
It kinda makes me sad when people post that thing on Facebook about everybody wishing for lots of different things but cancer patients only have the one wish, to cure cancer. I mean, yes, cancer is awful and obviously people with cancer don't want to have it. But they are still regular people who would actually like to win the lottery or whatever.

Most of the stuff people post on facebook makes me sad, or mad, depending on my mood. Sometimes, I tell myself I'm swearing off it. However, I use it to message my husband who is a continent away, so... I also don't like all the games, so I block them all

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

The place where I work started carrying Earth Balance Aged White Cheddar Popcorn. It's $4.50 a bag, but so forking good. There goes my food budget.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had the most exhausting day. I didn't get a break until after noon, and I didn't get to go to lunch until after 2. Ugh. And now I don't feel like doing anything at all, but I have to make dinner. Maybe I can get away with not making dinner. If I were single, I'd be living off of cereal right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

rachell37 wrote:
I had the most exhausting day. I didn't get a break until after noon, and I didn't get to go to lunch until after 2. Ugh. And now I don't feel like doing anything at all, but I have to make dinner. Maybe I can get away with not making dinner. If I were single, I'd be living off of cereal right now.

Maybe you can have a 'fend for yourself' night? Or just something easy like pasta with marinara. Don't overdo it, lady!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Mars wrote:
The place where I work started carrying Earth Balance Aged White Cheddar Popcorn. It's $4.50 a bag, but so forking good. There goes my food budget.

I got the puffs the other day and they were so good. I may have eaten the bag in two days, oops.

Regarding your previous posts:
1) I think it's easy for loneliness to be majorly amplified when you're getting out of a relationship, so maybe wait and see how you feel when you're in less pain because of that and 2) you should come to Blow Pony and/or Hey Queen this weekend with me!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Maybe you can have a 'fend for yourself' night? Or just something easy like pasta with marinara. Don't overdo it, lady!

We had tofu scramble! Easy and delicious.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

Aaaaarrrggghh! Every time I step away from my desk for two minutes I come back to a voicemail. And every time I check my voicemail five emails come in. I'm not getting anything done today... stop the madness! I know, how do I have time to be on the PPK? I'm just trying to step away and calm down for a minute; hoping to break the cycle. Why,, oh why, didn't I buy a powerball ticket on Saturday? :P

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've spent more time than I probably should thinking about whether I can use a weekend course in medieval latin and my dad's birthday combined as a cover to take a week off school and fly to England to see Suede with Boyfiend in October. This is a terrible idea... right?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tea wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I really wish I known about recreation therapy before I became an rd. That job seems so awesome! Career change in 10 years maybe?? Sigh!

One of my ex's did recreation therapy. It sounded really super cool! Nothing wrong with career changes :)

heh, thanks! but....i JUST graduated from Columbia. So, maybe after I pay off my $100K in loans, I can switch. Also, I think I could find a less stressful RD job where I actually go to spend time with patients rather than just glance at them and then spend the whole day doing paperwork.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:30 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i just skinned my elbow on my desk. i am so good at living. so good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432 ... 1891  Next