| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1456, 1457, 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462 ... 1768  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Every time I see "The Confessional" thread 'Ignition (Remix)' pops into my head.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:24 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've been trying to grow my beard, haven't shaved it in over a month (well, I shave my neck beard). It's getting SO ITCHY. ARGH. I want to try and wait it out, but argh!!!! I just want to see what I look like with a nice, good-sized, well-trimmed beard.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

did the shopping for my weekend away! I am stupid excited. I have not had a girls weekend away...ever!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've decided since I'm moving home for the summer Thursday, I'm going to go to WF to get delicious treats to snack on while I study tonight. This will probably not help my studying, but as I will no longer have easy access to WF soon, I feel like this is a good idea. (Or, you know, I could just be trying to avoid ochem, but whatevs, CUPCAKES! CHEESE PUFFS! Whatever else looks delicious!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Advice needed! How do you apply for a second job when you don't have a fixed schedule and are a shift worker? I really, really need a second job but it's difficult because my schedule is different week to week.

Also, stupid businesses that discriminate against people with piercings! Rage to you!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm 
Chard Martyr

I got a job offer today and I have another interview tomorrow and then my current boss has a new job offer for me. What the hell. I feel so pressured to make a massive decision ASAP, but I'm also really happy to have three options!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

Share please!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Advice needed! How do you apply for a second job when you don't have a fixed schedule and are a shift worker? I really, really need a second job but it's difficult because my schedule is different week to week.

Also, stupid businesses that discriminate against people with piercings! Rage to you!!!!!

When I had to do this, I just pleaded with my first job to give me a reasonably set schedule... which meant taking the crappy shifts that everyone else bitched about (3:30-midnight at a grocery store, ugh!). That meant I could work at my office job from 8am-2pm. It was a totally miserable existence for the 8 months that I did it, but I couldn't figure out any other way to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

vijita wrote:
I got a job offer today and I have another interview tomorrow and then my current boss has a new job offer for me. What the hell. I feel so pressured to make a massive decision ASAP, but I'm also really happy to have three options!

Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm 
Chard Martyr

vijita wrote:
I'm so excited for you! Take your time and go with your gut (is my advice, if you wanted it) Hugs!

I've been awesomely consistent with the gym the last 6 weeks but DAMN I got home from work today and just passed the hell out. I'm so tired and I think my body is struggling to fully recovery between workouts because my nighttime sleep is so shiitake.
The nap was lovely and I made it to my volunteering commitment on time, feeling a little more rested.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:32 am 
WELFARIST!

ashley wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

When I had to do this, I just pleaded with my first job to give me a reasonably set schedule... which meant taking the crappy shifts that everyone else bitched about (3:30-midnight at a grocery store, ugh!). That meant I could work at my office job from 8am-2pm. It was a totally miserable existence for the 8 months that I did it, but I couldn't figure out any other way to make it work.

Yeah, I already work the crazy hours, haha! I sometimes do 4am shifts, overnights, holidays, pretty much everything. For my current job I have wide open availability and I'm cross-trained in multiple areas so whenever someone needs me they can just grab me. I'm afraid that with trying to get a second job I'll either get less hours (which would kind of make it pointless to work at this job if they gave me even less) or I won't be able to get a second job because they don't know when to schedule me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

When I've applied for second jobs when I was waiting tables (so, same...never knew when I was going to be scheduled), I told the new job that I would appreciate a set schedule so that I could tell my current job just when I can work. That may not work for you though, since you're worried about losing hours. Also, seriously on the discrimination thing. Mine's about tattoos because I can take my lip ring out, but it's like...hey, this won't affect my job performance! Unfortunately, employers seem more worried about how customers or clients might perceive you, if you're working in a job like that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am 
Chard Martyr

I just feel like the tattoo thing is really ridiculous. I have freaking bunny on my left arm, a cat on my right, and foliage on my back. How are tattoos of cute animals even remotely offensive? And I have the tiniest stud in my nose. I have a lot of plain Jane business clothes and I know how to be professional--keep my skin out of this decision.

Of course there are going to be older patrons who aren't enthused about people with tattoos, but it's really their problem to sort out. I think there are SO FEW people who would actually stop patronizing a business because an employee has tattoos, I mean, at least in my part of the world.

Sometimes I really feel like things are sliding backwards. When I was a silly teenager, I wore really ridiculous clothes in an attempt at being punk rock but really knowing nothing about the culture, tonnes of glittery makeup, and my hair was always dyed different colours (and I even crimped it). All of my jobs were in retail or service, and I never once came across an employer who suggested I change the way I presented myself. Because I was good and professional at my job!

Now I'm old and I have a few tattoos that I completely love, a couple of degrees, a wardrobe of business smart and business casual, and suddenly I'm being discriminated against? Bizarre.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm in a really really really bad mood today. And it's funny because all I was able to pick up for breakfast was grapes from the gas station and they're sour. Sour grapes are pissing me off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 am 
WELFARIST!

Seriously, you guys! My piercings are so small anyway! The job I currently work at allows tattoos, piercings and dyed hair and I've never had any problems with customers and that kind of thing. Even the older ones. Even some of my hair was purple at one time and I feel like my sales were better during that time!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
UGH.

I am increasingly over my living situation. I've mentioned it before, but my boyfriend and I currently share a house with another couple. One half of the couple has had his sister come and stay with us (rent free!) while she's on summer break from college. She's fine, but a bit of a lump. She doesn't seem to have many interests beyond watching netflix and surfing the internet. Since she's been here, the house has definitely felt more crowded, and the alone time I normally count on during weekdays when everyone else is at work has been much less regular. I work from home, so it's not like I sit around eating bon bons. I use that time to work and to do things like cooking and cleaning and laundry and stuff that helps the household run more smoothly when everyone else gets home from work. Lately, largely due to the new housemate, the tv, which is outside boyfriend and I's room, is on almost all the time. Right now, I'm working, and my boyfriend is taking an online final for school, and the sister is watching forking Borat. She knows I'm working and that the boyfriend is doing schoolwork. She has a laptop and could watch things in her room. I am SO ANNOYED.

Is this a thing? I know my social and interpersonal skills were not as good when I was 21 (her age) as they are now, but I feel like I knew that watching Sacha Baron Cohen movies while two rent-paying housemates are trying to do work is pretty inconsiderate. I'm not going to bother bringing it up, because we're leaving in less than three weeks, but still. Jeeez.

I think sometimes people just do inconsiderate things without thinking, like they're not trying to be annoying but they just didn't do the extra step in their head between "action I'm taking" and "how it might affect other people". I kinda feel like everyone does this at least once in a while? So I would be inclined to say something once, give the person the benefit of the doubt (like "hey, maybe you didn't realize that we were working..." as opposed to "get the fork out of the living room, bisque!"), and then if she still continues the behavior it's reasonable to consider her an inconsiderate person instead of just a clueless one. Yeah, ideally she would think of this on her own and you wouldn't have to stay anything to her, but realistically...sometimes people just don't think first, they can't read your mind to know that you're annoyed by what they're doing, and they very well might be entirely happy to change their behavior if they knew it was bothering you.

Thanks. I don't think she's being inconsiderate on purpose, but like I said above, the issue of being considerate about the tv has been brought up to her before. I don't think she'd take terribly well to our mentioning that she's being inconsiderate/disturbing our work, since she's pretty defensive, even about stuff that doesn't involve her doing anything wrong (e.g. she drinks horrible flavored Dunkin Donuts coffee, so my boyfriend offered her some of my nice, locally roasted, awesome coffee, thinking maybe she might just like to try it, and she got super defensive and weird, which hopefully explains why I think she might not take all that well to me being like, "uh, hey, so could you stop doing this thing that is interfering with my ability to focus on my work, which you know already you should be more considerate about?") I'm also not super confident in my ability to bring it up without seeming either too aggressive aggressive or passive aggressive.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but honestly, since I'm leaving so soon, I'd rather just vent about it here a little, and not take it upon myself to educate this young lady on being a better room-mate. Is that the lazy way out? Yes, but I'm okay with that. :)

Ahh, yeah, I missed that you had brought it up to her before. Yeah it's definitely rude if she's still doing it after you've already said something to her about it! Glad you're getting out soon so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Haha yeah, I work at a giant corporation with lots of six-figure executive types, and I have an arm and legs with tattoos that I bare, and no one has ever said anything. Infact, I think in some ways, it helps me and sets me apart from people. I dress professionally, keep excellent hygiene, I just so happen to be tattooed as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am 
Chard Martyr

What's the deal with the turnaround time for accepting a job? Like I interviewed yesterday morning and was offered it by the afternoon but I am still unsure whether I want it. But the dude keeps calling and emailing me. I need a couple of days to think about it in conjunction with my two other options. Is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

vijita wrote:
What's the deal with the turnaround time for accepting a job? Like I interviewed yesterday morning and was offered it by the afternoon but I am still unsure whether I want it. But the dude keeps calling and emailing me. I need a couple of days to think about it in conjunction with my two other options. Is that too much to ask?

take your time, lady. be assertive in telling him you need a couple of days to review your options (if you need excuses: to discuss it with your lad, to review your budget to see if it will work, etc). it's not a bad thing imo

my only comment: if they're that pushy *before* you start, it's not going to be fun when shiitake hits the fan on the job

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 am 

joshua wrote:
vijita wrote:

take your time, lady. be assertive in telling him you need a couple of days to review your options (if you need excuses: to discuss it with your lad, to review your budget to see if it will work, etc). it's not a bad thing imo

my only comment: if they're that pushy *before* you start, it's not going to be fun when shiitake hits the fan on the job

I once had someone think that I was stalling for more money, so they offered me more money. It was awesome, except that it was the worst job I ever had (ranking below gas station attendant).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tough shiitake is tough. Grandma says she's "going through a lot" and is "under a lot of pressure" but isn't willing to concede that my mom and sister are, too. (Sister is failing her second quarter at chiro school because of stress from grandma's situation; mom is struggling at work.) This is my busy season = conference season at work, and I'm also failing to get major shiitake done because I'm busy with grandma all the time. The status quo still doesn't cut it, but because she has enough of a mind to insist on making decisions (even though she is utterly incapable of making any beyond her next meal), nothing happens. SO FRUSTRATING.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hugs to you, lutin. That's really rough.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Oof lutin, that's rough! I'm sorry.

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the year, and it's exams for fifth and sixth period. I've finished all my grading for first through fourth periods, and I can't finish fifth and sixth until tomorrow. Today was third and fourth, but third is my conference period and fourth turned in projects on Monday that I've already graded, so today was basically a nothing day. I'm really bummed because grades are due early Friday morning, which means that tomorrow, after proctoring exams for four hours, I will need to speed-grade 66 essays so I can finish my grades on time.

I can SEE the end of the school year. It's there, staring me down. But I just can't touch it until I dig through the freaking Great Wall of China of Grading.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You can do it, DC! Coffee-coconut ice cream is my secret weapon when shiitake needs to get done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

Today a resident at the nursing home where I work said "And make sure I get CHEESE burgers, I don't want any of those plain MURDER burgers!" It was hard not to laugh out loud. I mean, he really emphasized murder when he said that, but clearly, he eats meat and has no problem eating meat. I have no idea why he called them murder burgers.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 44176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1456, 1457, 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462 ... 1768  Next