| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1457, 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462, 1463 ... 1826  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

because it kills him to eat them? i mean, doesn't everyone die a little when they're forced to eat something without cheese on it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Today a resident at the nursing home where I work said "And make sure I get CHEESE burgers, I don't want any of those plain MURDER burgers!" It was hard not to laugh out loud. I mean, he really emphasized murder when he said that, but clearly, he eats meat and has no problem eating meat. I have no idea why he called them murder burgers.

acr wrote:
because it kills him to eat them? i mean, doesn't everyone die a little when they're forced to eat something without cheese on it?

Oh man! Both these posts made me laugh out loud. Thank you both. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Today I wore 2 different shoes to work. And I didn't notice until 1:30.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'd call that one a win emmalv.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I've been secretaryin' since I was 12 years old and in 21 years this is the first time I've ever been asked to assist with an envelope opening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Today a resident at the nursing home where I work said "And make sure I get CHEESE burgers, I don't want any of those plain MURDER burgers!" It was hard not to laugh out loud. I mean, he really emphasized murder when he said that, but clearly, he eats meat and has no problem eating meat. I have no idea why he called them murder burgers.

My mom was once stuck in line at Burger King behind a customer who ordered "a cheeseburger without cheese". The employee kept saying, "So you want a hamburger?" and the customer kept insisting, "No! Not a hamburger! A cheeseburger with no cheese!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:38 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I had an interview-y typed thing today (well, two actually) with a pretty big (in terms of reputation) company. I was nervous as hell before it and that never happens to me! but about 30s into it, I called him a chump and it was all good times from there. I get to go in and meet the team next week! I'm not confident I'll be considered good enough or whatever, but it's enough so far to be invited in.. weee!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

My mom was once stuck in line at Burger King behind a customer who ordered "a cheeseburger without cheese". The employee kept saying, "So you want a hamburger?" and the customer kept insisting, "No! Not a hamburger! A cheeseburger with no cheese!"

And you are going to start that blog about your mother when?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:29 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

What do you all think my roommate is doing (other than being awesome):

Coming from his room for an hour or so yesterday and the past hour or so tonight is little clips from different Prince songs, over and over. Sometimes little 30 second bits, sometimes as little as 5 seconds. Never much longer than 30 seconds at a time. One after another, continuously.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mars, is he making his own Prince mash up? Of his favorite bits and maybe blending them into one unique song for his soul self?

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I've been secretaryin' since I was 12 years old and in 21 years this is the first time I've ever been asked to assist with an envelope opening.

I remember when I was secretaryin' and this girl WHO WAS NOT EVEN A MANAGER OF ANY SORT BUT FANCIED HERSELF TO BE handed me a letter and an envelope and instructed me to stuff it for her. And she worked in a different office, different room and had to walk to me, more effort expended than had she stuffed her own dumb envelope, but since I was departmental secretary, I guess she thought it was my tedious job to fold the paper for her and stuff the envelope and lick it shut. I was flabbergasted and speechless and just took it dumbly and did it but you know when I think of times where I've felt...I dunno...pathetically servile in my life and didn't speak up...that's the incident I think of. I was young and intimidated then. Later, she was actually promoted to manager and one of her staff told her to "fork off" and I got all schadenfreudy over that. I think she eventually got fired. I think she carried her 'tude too far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

How does one figure out what to do job-wise? I've basically done two jobs since college - administrative assistant and retail management. My degree is in psychology, but I got so burnt out at the end that I can't imagine doing anything with that. At this point, I just work because I have to pay the bills.

I desperately want to be in a job that I love (some days I'd be happy with just one that I LIKE), something that gives me more of a purpose than lining the pockets of a multi-millionaire, but how do I know what that job will be?? I live in a moderately small town, so I don't have the options of people in larger cities.

Are you guys doing what you love? If so, what is that for you? I'd love some ideas of what's out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:41 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Zelavie, I'm in a similar boat. My official title is office administrator and what I do is actually pretty neat but it's not, you know, what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm happy enough now (I do a lot of different things and have a LOT of autonomy-my boss is very (like, ridiculously) hands off which is the perfect style for me. I flip out if I have to deal with a micro manager) but would love to explore something new.

I'm organizing the filing system at the offsite (ish, it's the warehouse for my company) location today. It is so much quieter. Can I work here every day?!? Also, I'm drinking the swill that's called coffee here because I don't have any tea. I am not impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 am 
Chard Martyr

joshua wrote:
I had an interview-y typed thing today (well, two actually) with a pretty big (in terms of reputation) company. I was nervous as hell before it and that never happens to me! but about 30s into it, I called him a chump and it was all good times from there. I get to go in and meet the team next week! I'm not confident I'll be considered good enough or whatever, but it's enough so far to be invited in.. weee!
Awesome, Josh! Congrats! Text me deets I wanna know more!
zelavie wrote:
Are you guys doing what you love? If so, what is that for you? I'd love some ideas of what's out there.
I love my job a lot; it is in the psych field.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:28 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

When I worked as a secretary/receptionist, one of my jobs was retrieving the mail and opening all of the envelopes, but just opening them, not looking inside or anything. Because opening envelopes on your own is so so hard.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

zelavie wrote:
How does one figure out what to do job-wise? I've basically done two jobs since college - administrative assistant and retail management. My degree is in psychology, but I got so burnt out at the end that I can't imagine doing anything with that. At this point, I just work because I have to pay the bills.

I desperately want to be in a job that I love (some days I'd be happy with just one that I LIKE), something that gives me more of a purpose than lining the pockets of a multi-millionaire, but how do I know what that job will be?? I live in a moderately small town, so I don't have the options of people in larger cities.

I ran my own business for five years and did love my work (dog daycare) but not being a business owner.

Now I work two retail jobs and in a psychotherapy clinic once a week doing reception stuff. This is all fine as an interim thing but I'm in the same spot you are - what do I want to do now? Sometimes I think I'd like to be a counsellor, or get back in the animal industry (working at a shelter?), library sciences, or maybe sommelier.

I don't know what I am passionate about anymore, and that makes me sad. If you find answers, let me know!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 am 
Keepin' It Seal

A group of my friends and I are going to a cabin in Lake George for the weekend, so I prepared a box of fun stuff to do on the road. I made my own version of this I spy type of game and there's coloring book pages (of awesome stuff like Buffy, Doctor who, unicorns), connect the dots, mazes, harry potter trivia, a cryptogram, bubble wrap, and play doh. I showed two friends last night and they were unimpressed. sigh. I may be the only one who is super excited about this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joyfulgirl wrote:
A group of my friends and I are going to a cabin in Lake George for the weekend, so I prepared a box of fun stuff to do on the road. I made my own version of this I spy type of game and there's coloring book pages (of awesome stuff like Buffy, Doctor who, unicorns), connect the dots, mazes, harry potter trivia, a cryptogram, bubble wrap, and play doh. I showed two friends last night and they were unimpressed. sigh. I may be the only one who is super excited about this.

Sounds amazing to me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 am 
WELFARIST!

I was thinking to myself last night before I went to bed about how the world would be if clothes were never invented and everyone just walked around naked all the time as if it was the most natural thing in the world?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am 

seitanicverses wrote:
I was thinking to myself last night before I went to bed about how the world would be if clothes were never invented and everyone just walked around naked all the time as if it was the most natural thing in the world?

Oh my goodness, I could not cope. I'm weirded out by public seating as it is. Can't shake the image of never being able to sit down in a public place. I'm very glad people must cover their bits.

Unless people were forced to carry towels and put them down before they sat anywhere, but what it they put dirty side down and then my towel would get their bit juice............ugh, I can't bear thinking about it. I have to go wash my hands now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:09 am 
WELFARIST!

jean wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Oh my goodness, I could not cope. I'm weirded out by public seating as it is. Can't shake the image of never being able to sit down in a public place. I'm very glad people must cover their bits.

Unless people were forced to carry towels and put them down before they sat anywhere, but what it they put dirty side down and then my towel would get their bit juice............ugh, I can't bear thinking about it. I have to go wash my hands now.

Ha! I'm glad too, actually, and I enjoy clothing but I think what got me thinking like this is I was watching the beginning of that movie Norma Jeane & Marilyn before I went to bed last night and in the very first scene, Ashley Judd (as Norma Jeane) is completely naked and is walking around in church with all these clothed people around her and everyone was acting like it was the most natural thing in the world and she wasn't naked at all (it's a dream sequence in the film) and the casualness of the scene just made me wonder what the world would be like if we were conditioned to never wear clothes at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:27 am 
Inflexitarian

I'd bet that if walking around naked all the time was totally ordinary and sitting on seats naked happened all of the time, anxieties about crotch juice and chairs might be less common (though worse for those who do have it). That, or we'd develop rules of politeness about towels or wiping off seats afterward... Would body shaming be a thing if everyones body was constantly visible?

Also we'd get more sunburns and freeze to death in the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I believe I heard of someone who visited a nudist commune or something for a while (was it someone on here?) and they said the custom was to carry around your own towel for sitting on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I was thinking that such anxieties would be less common (crotch juice, etc.) because the conditioning would be not worry about them, or as much, sort of thing. And also cold climes (there would be some instances where folks would have to wear a wrap, I guess) and sunburnt climes and I was also thinking a lot about clothing as social status and body shaming, etc. Where would the judgement for social status fall with no clothing on anyone, ever? To their houses? To their "things"? Just interesting thoughts for me to ponder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am 

Yes, as humans we can be insecure little creatures. I believe judgement would fall elsewhere. *sigh. Too bad really.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It is derecho-ing all over my town right now and I'm freaking out because my boyfriend texted me saying 'tornado clouds'. I can't see tornado clouds, but I'm on the third floor and I wonder if I should go to the basement. I am so forking terrified of weather.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1457, 1458, 1459, 1460, 1461, 1462, 1463 ... 1826  Next