| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472, 1473 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:01 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

This sounds really woo-woo and California-y, but I think I need to focus more on meeting crassholes with kindness. Or at the very least a zen-like calm. I've had several incidents over the past couple days with people are who just plain discourteous or idiotic, and even though I have every right to be annoyed at them and call them on their shiitake (and I do so, haha), it ultimately just leaves me feeling grumpy and annoyed because I allow those feelings to get stirred up in myself. Why should I give stupid crassholes such a portion of my day? It won't be easy, but I'mma try. Any tips from you cool cucumbers?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

erika soyf*cker, GOOD LUCK. I can't do anything about things like that at the time, but later I can ride my bike and it takes those bad feelings away. Also, that is a picture of me actually falling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Most of the time, I can come out of an interaction with a complete crasshole (usually at work) and just let it be. If I feel it starting to get to me, I'll walk away, take a deep breath, and thank God that my life isn't so miserable that I have to be like that to complete strangers. If that doesn't work, I'll just remind myself that this 5-minute interaction is truly irrelevant to the rest of my life, it's just an unhappy person having a bad moment, and every minute I spend on that is a minute of calmness & happiness that I've stolen from myself. 10+ years in retail has given me MANY opportunities to practice this, and I've gotten so good at it that I have a hard time answering interview questions about an interaction with a difficult customer or a conflict with a co-worker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's a great plan, Erika.

I need to do something similar for next year because now I don't trust any of the teachers I work closely with. They twisted things and told some outright lies for no real reason that I can see. I don't understand the behavior and didn't see it coming, but in retrospect can see that a tight clique formed early on that excluded me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ugh, I need to learn how to do that too. For my own good. I managed to not answer an asshole-ish email at work today, but I'm still letting it bug me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
This sounds really woo-woo and California-y, but I think I need to focus more on meeting crassholes with kindness. Or at the very least a zen-like calm. I've had several incidents over the past couple days with people are who just plain discourteous or idiotic, and even though I have every right to be annoyed at them and call them on their shiitake (and I do so, haha), it ultimately just leaves me feeling grumpy and annoyed because I allow those feelings to get stirred up in myself. Why should I give stupid crassholes such a portion of my day? It won't be easy, but I'mma try. Any tips from you cool cucumbers?

I am usually (but not always) pretty good at this. I think it's exactly what you pointed out - why do you want to feel crappy? I try to remember that when I act rude and nasty it's because I am in a really bad place. I try to think a good thought for them and their suffering, but I also try to get away from people like that pretty quickly so that I can protect my own sense of safety and serenity.

Sometimes I imagine people are like dogs and that helps me love them a little bit more.

Sometimes I fail at all of this and get sad and feel gross.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

ameyfm wrote:

Sometimes I imagine people are like dogs and that helps me love them a little bit more.

I love you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went to the store to get some soda, and I'm pretty sure I was the only person there who wasn't high as a kite. On the way to the store, I saw a young guy, shirtless, crouching down on the sidewalk and glancing around like he was on some kind of secret mission. Then he suddenly ran to the store, put his shirt on, and started pacing around. I went into the store, where the employees were all acting strangely (one kept walking outside, then turning around and walking inside, then outside, etc.) Formerly-shirtless-guy-who-was-now-wearing-his-shirt walked in with a young woman, and proceeded to make out with and grope her in front of the cash register. Then he started talking at a really loud volume to the cashier and thanking the cashier profusely for handing him his groceries. They finally left, and I went up to the cashier, who said, "You're paying in cash, right??" I was like, "Uh, yeah, sure," because he made it sound like paying by card wold be a really bad idea. The other employee was now walking from the back of the store to the front, and kept asking, "Can you charge five for five?" and the cashier said "Charge five for five? No, I don't think so. Five for five? No, I don't think so." And I just got the fork out of there, because nothing was making sense anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Do you actually live in a movie or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm very grumpy and do not want to share my falafel (and deal with crumbs everywhere), but the only way to avoid this is to lock Molly up somewhere, which seems mean.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

If you want to go full-on California woo-y you could try a loving kindness (mehta) meditation. It's really neat and super woo-y. You can find more info on Dr. Google and even videos that will walk you through it, I bet.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Erika, I'm not always great at that, but I try to think of it as picking my battles. Some things are always going to rile me up, and that's okay, but it doesn't mean that EVERYTHING has to rile me up. I find that just having that little hesitation where I try to decide if being upset over any given thing is worth it tends to help me let go of most of the stuff that's not worth my time, which means I spend less time being mad/frustrated/offended/whatever. It's tough, particularly when you know that your being pissed is justified. That said, even justified pissed offedness still usually feels bad.

Um, so I guess my advice is to try and reconceptualize it generally. I don't think I have anything useful to say as far as getting over things immediately/in the moment, because I think I probably suck at that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PSA to check your smoke detectors when you move into a new place. My house was on fire tonight, it started on the back deck and got into the door frame so we had to call the fire department. It wasn't serious, but holy crepe I'm lucky I didn't go to bed or go out tonight, the whole house would have went up if I didn't catch it and call my roommates home. Like I just went into my room to check something on my computer, and I came back out and the house was full of smoke and none of the detectors picked up on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:08 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Jeez! I hope there isn't much damage!

So karma might be at work. I got a call from manager yesterday. The post I might be going to was meant to go to one of the bullies a while back but for some unknown reason never did. Also, it was the same post I was moved from in my last job that I adored. It's not a given yet because it requires moving someone else so I won't know until next week. But seriously, I done some laughing. If I am put in this job I want to be a fly on the wall when the other find out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Shy Mox wrote:
PSA to check your smoke detectors when you move into a new place. My house was on fire tonight, it started on the back deck and got into the door frame so we had to call the fire department. It wasn't serious, but holy crepe I'm lucky I didn't go to bed or go out tonight, the whole house would have went up if I didn't catch it and call my roommates home. Like I just went into my room to check something on my computer, and I came back out and the house was full of smoke and none of the detectors picked up on it.

a fire! how alarming ... your typing reads so calm ...the smoke detector here works just fine (I am lousy at watching bread I am 'browning') ... I am glad all are safe there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just justified an hour-long walk to the shop with soy milk on sale to save about 90p over the shop that's a 5-minute walk away by remembering that I can also get Speculoos at the former. I just hope i don't get rained on.

ETA: Actually, I feel like sitting around at home all day, so I think I'll just go to the shop over the road.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Our one cat will not stop menacing and forking with our other cat. The aggressor is my boyfriend's cat and the one being forked with is mine. They've lived together for more than 7 months now and she could not care less about him, but he will not stop being a crasshole. It's driving me nuts. I'm thinking about it in particular right now because I've spent the last 15 minutes breaking up scuffles. I think the only thing that will stop it is a bigger place where that's a neutral territory, but we can't move for at least another 5-6 months. CATS, just ignore each other like every other set of roommates who don't get along.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:04 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Shy Mox wrote:

Holy shiitake! Glad you're alright.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Shy Mox wrote:

Wow, scary! Glad you're okay! I was just thinking that I needed to check our smoke detector downstairs (it's wired in, but it hasn't gone off the last couple of times I burned food, so I'm not sure it's working). Definitely putting that at the top of my to-do list!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

teacup wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

a fire! how alarming ... your typing reads so calm ...the smoke detector here works just fine (I am lousy at watching bread I am 'browning') ... I am glad all are safe there.

I was really not calm when it happened, by the time I posted that I was worn out XD It was a lot of smoldering more than big flames, but I could not think at all where the fire extinguisher was (it was under the sink) and I was panicking, so I threw a blanket on it and tried to call my sister, but on my cell when I tried to just click on her number it was like "HTC has encountered a problem and has to close." So I tried to memorize her number and dial it but kept getting wrong numbers. She reminded me where the extinguisher was but it was dark out and I couldn't see what I was doing or get the pin out. We got what was exposed out but had to call the fire department because there was still smoke coming out of the lock hole in the door frame, so they came and tore it up and doused it with water. No idea what caused it, maybe an errant cigarette but my sister swears that she doesn't leave her cigarettes out on the deck.

Today I just asked my brother to go to lunch with me to get out of the house, everything smells like smoke :( the landlord just dropped off an air filter thingy, so hopefully that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:56 pm 
Hip Goiter

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
julialegume wrote:
I was hiking with my dad and sister this weekend and I kept falling!

I'm assuming this photo was staged to illustrate the repeated fallings. At least I hope so, because it really made me laugh!

This is MY FAVORITE THING!! omg. I'm hysterical! I hope you are ok; it would be really bad to be laughing if you were hurt. :) The best part is your father with a 'volunteer' shirt and a walking stick pointing like "Onward, ho!" hahahahah

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:00 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Today I got to hang with lobsteriffic, seitanicverses and MeShell at Cedar Row Farm Sanctuary! It was great. BBQ, bake sale, animal friends, PPKers. I started feeling really melancholy and this past week started catching up to me and I had to leave...but it was so great while it lasted.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So I'm channel-surfing, trying to find something to watch, and I stumble across an all-dog production of Heidi. Let me repeat that. An all-dog production of Heidi. This is it folks. Life's all downhill from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I want raspberrycomplaint's life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472, 1473 ... 1873  Next