| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1474, 1475, 1476, 1477, 1478, 1479, 1480 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think it's super weird that she's not only saying these things to you but getting other customers involved. That's so....terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

joshua wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-26/australia-opens-case-against-japanese-whaling/4783688

I hope this ends well

Me, too! I'm glad Australia is doing this. Where can I follow what's going on with it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

seitanicverses wrote:
I will say that with age, that sort of random and unwanted/uninvited attention has passed, at least for me. And for me, that's a relief!

I don't mind a good compliment, like 'ohh you look nice today' or 'love your hair'* but sometimes people just go way to far. I found it kinda odd when some guy in TJs came up to me I was really pretty...Really? Nice, but not cool.

Around winter time this dude at Trader Joe's kept giving me the googly eyes, looking me up and down, kept commenting on my weight loss/body. I told him that my body is none of his business. I then brought the boyfriend into the store and the boyfriend gave him a look and that was then end of that. He now leaves me a lone.

I am pretty talkative, maybe they see that as a invitation to put in their 2 cents? I dress up for myself, makeup/hair time is my time to dance around, rap in front of the mirror, have fun. People need to stop ruining it for me...

*I also try to give compliments like 'nice nails' or 'cool shoes!'...but I do not go crazy...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I think I broke my gmailz... :(

(I decided I wanted all the photos on my camera off of it, but not on my computer either, so I emailed a millionz of them to myself and now it's just decided to not let me do anything for the past 30 minutes)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Whoa, what the hell is happening with Nelson Mandela???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 pm 
Semen Strong

He is on life support, last I read. I am not ready for a world without him.

eta: they stopped life support. I am so sad.

Last edited by Tofulish on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

missmuffcake wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I will say that with age, that sort of random and unwanted/uninvited attention has passed, at least for me. And for me, that's a relief!

I don't mind a good compliment, like 'ohh you look nice today' or 'love your hair'* but sometimes people just go way to far. I found it kinda odd when some guy in TJs came up to me I was really pretty...Really? Nice, but not cool.

Around winter time this dude at Trader Joe's kept giving me the googly eyes, looking me up and down, kept commenting on my weight loss/body. I told him that my body is none of his business. I then brought the boyfriend into the store and the boyfriend gave him a look and that was then end of that. He now leaves me a lone.

I am pretty talkative, maybe they see that as a invitation to put in their 2 cents? I dress up for myself, makeup/hair time is my time to dance around, rap in front of the mirror, have fun. People need to stop ruining it for me...

*I also try to give compliments like 'nice nails' or 'cool shoes!'...but I do not go crazy...

I think that like most people, I like to be complimented - but on things I have chosen or done (I think it was Erika or j-dubs who made a great post about that somewhere?). If people go too far with their creepy-ass compliments, I try to be really offputting, which is not the most mature response, but it makes me feel better!

A man who was significantly older than me and in a position of authority told me that he thought I was "really a beautiful person." My actual response was "I know, it's unfair to other people." He stopped talking to me!

Compliments are great, but I think that it is important to compliment something that the person willfully did - something like saying you really like someone's outfit, or you like the way they did their hair, if you want to compliment their appearance. I try to frame it as "I like your (blank)," or "Your (blank) is awesome," rather than "You look (blank)," and I hope that it makes people feel less like objects? The most common compliment I get is about my eyes, and I hate it because instead of talking up something I have control over, they are picking a physical feature that I cannot change and am actually quite self conscious about (because I have eyes like a big ol' bug!).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 pm 

You guys ever wondered what would happen if you put a pair of perfectly good shoes in undiluted bleach?

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:

No :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I can't find a reputable source now. And if he were to pass I am sure it would be every where....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:

Where did you see that? I've been checking the news updates and everything still just says he is on life support.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

Same here. I saw a report but no reputable source. I think some people are jumping the gun. This is still sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Can't get the timing "right" for tomorrow's joint talk. It's hovering around 10 minutes, and I have to get it down to 7-8. I just rearranged some stuff. I hope I talk better in the morning (!) so I can practice when I get up and rock it, because we're on at 8:35am.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:55 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

DrakeRedcrest wrote:

Compliments are great, but I think that it is important to compliment something that the person willfully did - something like saying you really like someone's outfit, or you like the way they did their hair, if you want to compliment their appearance. I try to frame it as "I like your (blank)," or "Your (blank) is awesome," rather than "You look (blank)," and I hope that it makes people feel less like objects?

Really good point. I always compliment nails, I figure if they paid $ to have them done or did them up they might appreciate a compliment. People always compliment my skin...I just say I have good genes and a Clairsonic. I do not mind if people say nice skin, but when they start questioning my ethnicity (like trying to guess what I am) I get kinda bisque-y.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

This is a real book and has high ratings... http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1048 ... ertificate

"I didn't read this book from cover to cover, too much detail and too much repetition. BUT having said that, one cannot read this book without coming to the VERY REAL CONCLUSION that our President, one Barak Housein Obama is not a natural born citizen of the United States"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:15 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Mr. Shankly wrote:
joshua wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-26/australia-opens-case-against-japanese-whaling/4783688

I hope this ends well

Me, too! I'm glad Australia is doing this. Where can I follow what's going on with it?

http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/index.php ... e=148&k=64 is probably the most official source, but I'll just mostly stick to news outlets. Sea Shepherd seem to have some coverage, but I take that with a grain of salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just got messaged on Grindr by someone who was clearly younger than should be on there but above the legal age of consent (and told me this like it somehow made it okay). I gave him a friendly, not pushy talk about how he should possibly be looking for someone nearer his age and there's a world of sleaze out there that he hopefully doesn't even know about and he should look after himself and then reported him to the app makers as underage. That was the right thing to do, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Definitely the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:50 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

missmuffcake wrote:
DrakeRedcrest wrote:

Compliments are great, but I think that it is important to compliment something that the person willfully did - something like saying you really like someone's outfit, or you like the way they did their hair, if you want to compliment their appearance. I try to frame it as "I like your (blank)," or "Your (blank) is awesome," rather than "You look (blank)," and I hope that it makes people feel less like objects?

Really good point. I always compliment nails, I figure if they paid $ to have them done or did them up they might appreciate a compliment. People always compliment my skin...I just say I have good genes and a Clairsonic. I do not mind if people say nice skin, but when they start questioning my ethnicity (like trying to guess what I am) I get kinda bisque-y.

I was raised that it was impolite to notice the possessions of anyone or make personal remarks about their appearance.
If someone says 'you look so nice today.' ... ah, so I looked like pounded garbage yesterday?
Talk unconnected to money is best ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

DrakeRedcrest wrote:
Compliments are great, but I think that it is important to compliment something that the person willfully did - something like saying you really like someone's outfit, or you like the way they did their hair, if you want to compliment their appearance. I try to frame it as "I like your (blank)," or "Your (blank) is awesome," rather than "You look (blank)," and I hope that it makes people feel less like objects? The most common compliment I get is about my eyes, and I hate it because instead of talking up something I have control over, they are picking a physical feature that I cannot change and am actually quite self conscious about (because I have eyes like a big ol' bug!).

This precisely! I always feel very awkward when people say they love or are jealous of my natural hair color, but when I had pink or green or purple hair I thought it was very sweet when people said they liked it. Ditto makeup (as in, "I really like that eyeliner" or something, not "You look better with makeup") or outfits or things like that.

I'm sorry people are saying shiitake like that to you mmc. That's way out of line and I can understand feeling unable to bring it up.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm waiting to hear back about a second interview. They said it would be the end of this week, but I'm super impatient. I wish they would hurry up and make a decision, even if it's just to tell me that I didn't get to the 2nd interview stage. I hate waiting for stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I bet no one remembers me because I was gone for months. But I am still alive. And I got married and finished my PhD.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:40 am 

Thessaly wrote:
I bet no one remembers me because I was gone for months. But I am still alive. And I got married and finished my PhD.

We remember you! Sup, Dr.?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Gulliver wrote:
I just got messaged on Grindr by someone who was clearly younger than should be on there but above the legal age of consent (and told me this like it somehow made it okay). I gave him a friendly, not pushy talk about how he should possibly be looking for someone nearer his age and there's a world of sleaze out there that he hopefully doesn't even know about and he should look after himself and then reported him to the app makers as underage. That was the right thing to do, wasn't it?

Why shouldn't he use the app if he's a legal adult?

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1474, 1475, 1476, 1477, 1478, 1479, 1480 ... 1873  Next