| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1477, 1478, 1479, 1480, 1481, 1482, 1483 ... 1769  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I write a note on every recipe I make stating date, any modifications, and if I liked it. Sometimes they end up a bit cheesy looking back (e.g. cashew ricotta is "Divine!!").

I also tick off the recipes made in the index. I used to be a no-not-never cookbook writer and then I realized this is a way I make the book my own and that I like interactive media.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I hate getting food on my cookbooks (though I rarely cook so they are at small risk!) so I use a perspex book stand/cover.

I have one or two recipes I make for picnics or parties and have noted the increased quantities in pencil in the margin but I'd never write in pen on them. I do use bookmark stickers for my favourite recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:56 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I may have just made my dog a fb account so I can have conversations with myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just made Bad Hummus--a hitherto undiscovered variation.

This can easily be replicated by running out of lemons in the middle of making a triple batch. Blech. Even with extra cumin and extra paprika and extra salt, nothing can save it. I'll try adding some more lemon tomorrow I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I may have just made my dog a fb account so I can have conversations with myself.

Your dog can talk to Molly's instagram account! Molly has an increasingly limited vocabulary though. She used to say all kinds of stuff, but now she seems to stick to "let's take a bath, bath" "you have pretty feathers" and "are you sleepy?"

I need to teach her some new words! Any suggestions? (of course, she picks up what she wants to pick up)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

post-its and stickies satisfy my 'I need to take notes' along with 'I want to keep this pristine'

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

seitanicverses wrote:
If something savory has cinnamon where I don't think it belongs and I try it once just to see if this recipe is some freak of nature and then I decide I don't like the cinnamon and I was right after all so I write Leave Out the Cinnamon! Underlined, like three times. I often yell at myself in my own notes.

Hello, we are the same person.

As for writing in cookbooks, aside from writing 'Leave Out the Cinnamon!' and 'Reduce Vinegar' since I'm a vinegar wimp, I just put these 4 symbols: :D for the best of yummies, :) for acceptable yummies, :/ for meh yummies, and :( for never make again nasties. Every single recipe I try gets one of these symbols. I have so many cookbooks that I would definitely otherwise make recipes I didn't like when I tried them before if I didn't mark them.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

allularpunk wrote:
'Reduce Vinegar' since I'm a vinegar wimp

:( But... vinegarz!!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:39 pm 

Mars wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
'Reduce Vinegar' since I'm a vinegar wimp

:( But... vinegarz!!!!

I'm getting better! As long as I don't smell it first, I can tolerate it. Smelling vinegar makes me barfy :(

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

When I looked at my address on google maps,it showed the back side of my house, in the alley. For some reason, I find this more unsettling than if it were the front of the house. Maybe because I have been known to pop outside in my underwear to take recycling out?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

I want to friend your dog.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Sure! Anyone can friend her, just let her/me know you're from the ppk, so I know it's not spam.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:03 am 
WELFARIST!

Sure! Anyone can friend her, just let her/me know you're from the ppk, so I know it's not spam.

I just friend requested her but the privacy settings are up so that non-friends can't send her messages.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mr. Shankly wrote:

I just friend requested her but the privacy settings are up so that non-friends can't send her messages.

Same!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:16 am 

Ugh speaking of FB, a co worker of mine that I have literally never spoken to once just friend requested me. I hate that whole 'being friends with someone you aren't actually friends with' thing. I do not want all my coworkers to be FB friends! Not at all! I've actually denied requests from quite a few coworkers because of this. But the thing that's so annoying about her doing it is I do think she's super adorable, and I could totally see being friendly with her in the future! But... I mean, I didn't even know her name until this (random with no message or anything) friend request. Ugh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:23 am 
WELFARIST!

Maybe that's her passive way of trying to become friends with you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:24 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I have a firm no current coworkers on facebook rule. It lets me have good work/life boundaries and it's an easy out for the people I definitely don't want on. When I move on I can add people I'm friendly with if I want.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:30 am 

Sure to her maybe. But to me this just means I'm less likely to talk to her because I'll feel all awkward and forced because of it, now. And because I'll feel guilty for just having her request in the limbo 'haven't accepted but haven't denied yet'.

It's just a complaint about how the majority of people tend to use FB. I just feel that if you are requesting, somewhere, anywhere... to be something that's very specifically labelled 'friend'... why would you do that if you were mostly a stranger to someone?! I have a hard enough time justifying having PPKers as friends on there!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27 am 

Starting to wonder if I'll ever sleep through the night again. T's dog is driving me batty. He's anxious because T is gone, plus he doesn't listen to me because I'm about half T's size with a voice about 2 octaves higher. He's just pacing around the bedroom, randomly barking at me, wanting to go out, but then he'll just bark his head off out there. I'm all about helping out and taking care of this pup, because I love him to pieces, but my brain is turning to mush. Luckily I'm off tomorrow, so I'll spend the afternoon with him, but then I'm sleeping at home. My cats will appreciate that as well...they're feeling neglected, too. It's hard to spread yourself between two sets of animals in different houses that need lots of attention!

4 more days. Then sleep can resume.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Have you done any training with the dog? I would look into positive reinforcement training. Even in just 4 days it could bring you a lot of relief. It's not just about reinforcing obedience; training sessions are also entertaining for the dog and a way for them to focus - so they don't feel like barking randomly out of boredom.

I don't really believe in the bigger voice = better obedience thing, dogs can be trained to respond to whatever - and right now the dog is trained to respond to T's voice. I mean, my dog can respond to the sound of a vegetable peel falling on the kitchen floor...

I really like Kikopup's videos for starting on dog training: http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:09 am 

aelle wrote:
Have you done any training with the dog? I would look into positive reinforcement training. Even in just 4 days it could bring you a lot of relief. It's not just about reinforcing obedience; training sessions are also entertaining for the dog and a way for them to focus - so they don't feel like barking randomly out of boredom.

I don't really believe in the bigger voice = better obedience thing, dogs can be trained to respond to whatever - and right now the dog is trained to respond to T's voice. I mean, my dog can respond to the sound of a vegetable peel falling on the kitchen floor...

I really like Kikopup's videos for starting on dog training: http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

You're exactly right about the fact that he's just trained to respond to his voice vs mine. I just remember with Rowdy that he always responded better to my ex's (slightly) deeper voice as well, even though I did most of the training (or trying to train) with him. I have the next few days off, so I will try to work on some training. Even T admits that he hasn't had the time to work with him like he needs to. I will admit that I am not a very patient person when it comes to training dogs (especially willful, non puppy dogs that seem to have their own ideas about how things should be done), but at the very least it will be a way for us to interact for a couple of afternoons! And thanks for the video link.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:52 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

there was a snake on my kitchen floor when I got home tonight. haven't been up close with one in a while, so I had to channel my inner Steve Irwin to wrangle it into a pillowcase. I think it was a python. either way, crikey, she was a beauty

the worst part was destroying a coat hanger to use as a hook. ah well

Last edited by joshua on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 am 
Discovered unobtainium

gak. thats the stuff of nightmares.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:16 am 
Semen Strong

Where are you, Josh?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm hoping he is in an equatorial jungle somewhere, because pythons in the kitchen <shudder>.

They are beautiful creatures, but in the jungle far, far, FAR away from me.

Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1477, 1478, 1479, 1480, 1481, 1482, 1483 ... 1769  Next