| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1486, 1487, 1488, 1489, 1490, 1491, 1492 ... 1901  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: St. Louis
it is 80f and 90% humidity at midnight in maine rn.


helpp

_________________
Space has stared into the tiny syrup holes of our shame and it does not judge us. - Amandabear

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4115
Location: Austin
I'm so glad I don't live with my parents. I would go crazy. If I didn't starve first. Who offers someone raspberries and then gives them just four raspberries? That's like a quarter of a serving. And they took me to two burger joints for lunch on Thursday. Two! Double french fries and a handful of peanuts for lunch when I'm in an area with at least ten vegan restaurants and countless vegan-friendly ones.

My parents have many admirable qualities, but by day three of a visit, they're hard to remember.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
Shopped till she dropped
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:36 pm
Posts: 1690
Location: the land of too much wine and wind
I'm trying to fit my resume on one page and it's haaaaaard. I did it, but it still looks weird. If I cut out jobs, it lessens valuable experience I gained there or leaves gaps in my employment. And since I've had several positions at WF, it's really awkward to format. Ugh. Sigh. Grumble.

_________________
I just brought out the carrot sticks. This is war. - paprikapapaya

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:58 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12279
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
The one page thing is a myth. You need it to look good on one page, but if you have relevant stuff, don't cut it out! They will quickly determine if they are willing to read the second page or not based on the quality of your cover letter and the top portion of your resume.

You may be able to move some stuff to your cover letter, which is what usually counts the most anyway.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 am 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4183
Location: Nottingham.
I don't know if it's due to the warm weather, DOMS or medication but I'm having trouble staying asleep. I went to sleep at about half 9 last night but was awake again before 3am and didn't really get back to sleep. SO annoying!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:08 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2341
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
lavawitch wrote:
The one page thing is a myth. You need it to look good on one page, but if you have relevant stuff, don't cut it out! They will quickly determine if they are willing to read the second page or not based on the quality of your cover letter and the top portion of your resume.

You may be able to move some stuff to your cover letter, which is what usually counts the most anyway.
Agreed. Make the first page impressive, but don't think it has to cover everything.

_________________
Moon - "This is the best recipe in the history of recipes forever."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4018
Location: Edinburgh
seitanicverses wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Just watched Murray claw his way into the semi-finals at Wimbledon by the skin of his teeth: I feel exhausted now!

yay! It's Wimbledon weekend. I believe Andy Murray's British (isn't he?). I remember the Tim Henman days. He always made a good showing at Wimbledon--or did when I watched. I haven't been following but I usually watch the semis and finals. Woot! I loves me some tennis.

pandacookie wrote:
I think Murray is from Scotland.
edit, yes he is.

He's British if he's winning, Scottish if he's losing. He's in the final, so he's British right now and will stay that way if he wins, but if he loses, he's back to being Scottish.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3659
Location: Nashville, TN
Friend who I love but don't really spend time with anymore is having a baby shower an hour away. It's a busy weekend already, and it feels like a chore to go. But I feel like a jerk for feeling that way. I'm a jerk!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
mollyjade wrote:
I'm so glad I don't live with my parents. I would go crazy. If I didn't starve first. Who offers someone raspberries and then gives them just four raspberries? That's like a quarter of a serving. And they took me to two burger joints for lunch on Thursday. Two! Double french fries and a handful of peanuts for lunch when I'm in an area with at least ten vegan restaurants and countless vegan-friendly ones.

My parents have many admirable qualities, but by day three of a visit, they're hard to remember.

Ooh, this sucks. And four raspberries is like one bite of food!

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 am 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7746
Location: Portland, OR
Gulliver wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
The one page thing is a myth. You need it to look good on one page, but if you have relevant stuff, don't cut it out! They will quickly determine if they are willing to read the second page or not based on the quality of your cover letter and the top portion of your resume.

You may be able to move some stuff to your cover letter, which is what usually counts the most anyway.
Agreed. Make the first page impressive, but don't think it has to cover everything.

Yes to all this! Never cut out relevant experience to make it fit one page! They want to see that! Jus put the juiciest stuff on the first page.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:40 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am
Posts: 1127
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
allularpunk wrote:
Hey, everybody? Can someone with expert google skills help me convince my boyfriend that he is not 'Latin'? His heritage is Italian and he keeps insisting to me that he is Latin because Italian is a Latin based language, which is the craziest argument ever. Unless I'm wrong? Am I the one who is wrong? It does not matter in any way, shape, or form, but I'm genuinely curious if Italy is classified as a Latin country. I feel like that's more of a Mexico/Central and South American thing. I'm sorry if I'm being horribly obtuse, I am shiitake at things like geography and history and...culture? I mean, I know some stuff about various cultures, but not a lot. School me, PPK!


Italian is based on Latin, which was spoken by the Romans (who came from Rome, Italy). However, Latin speakers aren't generally described as being 'Latins' as far as I know! As others have suggested, the idea of being Latin American came from speaking Spanish and Portuguese, which are romance or Romanic languages as well as Latin.

By the logic of your post, anyone from a country which speaks romance languages such as Spanish, French, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian or a bunch of other languages would be classed as Latin. I wouldn't call them Latin myself as I feel it has a strong connotation of Latin America in everyday parlance anyway!

_________________
My blog about travel, campaigning, activism, vegan food and stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:52 am 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4722
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
rachell37 wrote:
He's British if he's winning, Scottish if he's losing. He's in the final, so he's British right now and will stay that way if he wins, but if he loses, he's back to being Scottish.


+1 for serious. So sick of that shiitake.

Bloody Scottish losers.

_________________
#sexysocialism

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:34 am
Posts: 2446
Angelina wrote:
Well, I'm Italian and I consider myself Latin. After all, Italy is where Latin was spoken first and Latins lived. I know that here we consider Latins as Spanish speaking people, but Italy was where it all began!


I've never heard of people who call themselves Latin, and maybe not correct but I would associate Latin with Latino. From wikipedia: " a term used chiefly in the United States to refer to people of Latin American extraction or descent,"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:15 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
Imogen wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Hey, everybody? Can someone with expert google skills help me convince my boyfriend that he is not 'Latin'? His heritage is Italian and he keeps insisting to me that he is Latin because Italian is a Latin based language, which is the craziest argument ever. Unless I'm wrong? Am I the one who is wrong? It does not matter in any way, shape, or form, but I'm genuinely curious if Italy is classified as a Latin country. I feel like that's more of a Mexico/Central and South American thing. I'm sorry if I'm being horribly obtuse, I am shiitake at things like geography and history and...culture? I mean, I know some stuff about various cultures, but not a lot. School me, PPK!


Italian is based on Latin, which was spoken by the Romans (who came from Rome, Italy). However, Latin speakers aren't generally described as being 'Latins' as far as I know! As others have suggested, the idea of being Latin American came from speaking Spanish and Portuguese, which are romance or Romanic languages as well as Latin.

By the logic of your post, anyone from a country which speaks romance languages such as Spanish, French, Portuguese, Romanian, Italian or a bunch of other languages would be classed as Latin. I wouldn't call them Latin myself as I feel it has a strong connotation of Latin America in everyday parlance anyway!


Yeah, that's how I feel about it, too! Oh well, he can be Latin if he wants to be, I don't mind.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:17 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
mollyjade wrote:
My parents have many admirable qualities, but by day three of a visit, they're hard to remember.


That just made me laugh out loud. I was just saying this about my parents after their last visit. That the first day is great because we're all so happy to see each other, but by the following morning (I can't imagine three days with them) my mom is back to harping about my job and how much money I don't make and how I don't have health insurance, and my dad's off color jokes and loud public farting (and then blaming it on me) get pretty old. At that point, I'm suuuuper ready for them to go.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:56 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4018
Location: Edinburgh
Nearly all of my living relatives are in one place right now (celebrating my grandma's 79th b-day), so I've been trying to call my mom. As per usual, she doesn't have her phone on. So my cousin asked if I wanted her number, and I said she could just tell my mom to turn on her phone. She said mom was doing the dishes and would turn on her phone in 10 minutes. Because obviously the dishes are more important.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3400
Location: idontevenknowanymore
http://theconversation.com/whaling-in-t ... onds-14490

week 2 of the Japanese whaling court case

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:12 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5349
Location: Gallifrey
joshua wrote:
http://theconversation.com/whaling-in-the-antarctic-week-2-japan-responds-14490

week 2 of the Japanese whaling court case

Wow, I don't think it's just because I love whales but it seems really clear cut to me. Japan really doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Ireland
My nose is seriously blocked. I've had a mega hectic day so I've [ut my homemade deodrant through its paces. I want to know if my pits are stinky or not but can't smell anything. Anyone think I should have a lick?

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19339
Location: Cliffbar NJ
You can lick your own armpit? I think we need video of that.... SO, I guess my answer is yes.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Ireland
I managed to totally forget to do it before getting in the bath. But I did test it out and yes I can manage to lick my own pit. Not really well but there is definitely tongue to pit contact.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:48 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
Everyone thinks I've gone nuts because of that hey everyone thread that I did not start!

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Ireland
allularpunk wrote:
Everyone thinks I've gone nuts because of that hey everyone thread that I did not start!


You are nuts but that's why we luffs ya x

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
daisychain wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Everyone thinks I've gone nuts because of that hey everyone thread that I did not start!


You are nuts but that's why we luffs ya x


xo

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4722
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
Mutherfuckin Orange bullshiitake marches still ruining my day. It's such bullshiitake that you're not allowed to cross them.

_________________
#sexysocialism

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1486, 1487, 1488, 1489, 1490, 1491, 1492 ... 1901  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fisticuffs, Google [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer