| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1504, 1505, 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

So, you know far in the distant future how the sun is gonna expand one day? Anyone know the latest astronomer's prediction as to how far out into our solar system this will go? Will the sun's giant fireball reach Jupiter? Get close to Kuiper's Belt? I always thought it would swallow all planets up to and including Mars but just seeing if modern theories are different now. If anyone knows, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Fee wrote:
A few weeks ago I was getting really bummed out at work and one of my coworkers drew a little cartoon dude to cheer me up and wrote "Hang in there! Some people suck" And I kept it next to my monitor ever since. Well apparently someone (who I don't know, I never meet night staff) wrote "like you" underneath! And I know it's supposed to be funny and it was nothing malicious, but I'm kinda pissed that they messed with my stuff. I liked that note and I was feeling really horrible and that's why my coworker wrote it. And while they're allowed in my office they're really not supposed to like sit at my desk and touch my things, especially personal stuff. I've kept it, but it's been tainted.

Awww...Even though I'm sure, too, the intent wasn't malicious, I'd still feel bad about it, too. Tainted, like you said.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Can you ask the co-worker to draw you another? Or stick stickers of hearts on the shitty addition?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That would make me feel really weird, Fee. I'm sorry that happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Aww, that really sucks, Fee. I'm sorry that happened.

What do people do when they don't work? I'm on Day 2 of unemployment and I'm already running out of ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:28 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

paprikapapaya wrote:

What do people do when they don't work? I'm on Day 2 of unemployment and I'm already running out of ideas.

during summer? tons! go for a walk and squirrel/people watch. take a book and a bag of fruit/nuts and there goes my entire afternoon :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

Look for freelance stuff! It can be tiresome, but dedicating a few hours to scouring the internet for opportunities could bring up a lot of interesting projects. Then go sit outside/make a cat fort/read a book/do some cooking. That's pretty much what I did while I was writing my thesis. And a little bit of volunteer work. It definitely takes a while to adjust from a 40-50 hour work week to "holy shiitake I have time", but you'll find another job so for now just accept that you are going to feel awkward and unproductive but you can change that with hobbies and a creative attitude towards the skills you have that could be utilized elsewhere in the meantime.

I totally get it though. I am a crazy workaholic right now and if I suddenly was let go I'd be hiding behind the couch. In a cat fort.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Paprikapapaya, is there anything that you'd love to be doing right now?

Also, you're a graphic designer - so you could start your own business and donate your skills to local shelters or causes you believe in to bring up your profile and see if you can drum up a little business. At worst, you're keeping your skill set up and filling a gap in your resume and at best you might make useful contacts and a bit of cash

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

vijita wrote:
I totally get it though. I am a crazy workaholic right now and if I suddenly was let go I'd be hiding behind the couch. In a cat fort.

Yes, this. I've been dreading unemployment since I first heard my contract wasn't being renewed. I really throw myself into my work, am passionate about it and really like the routine of 9-5...so...this is interesting. Hopefully it won't be too long before something else comes my way.

But yeah, I could solicit my services as a freelancer. And perhaps I'll ask if I can help out more at the farm sanctuary. There's only so much Facebooking/PPKing one can do...

Tofulish, I'd love to be travelling/planning to travel! But my travel plans for later this year went up in smoke when I heard I was losing my job. I have next to no money and can't justify travelling. But, um...other than that, I'm at a loss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

joshua wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

during summer? tons! go for a walk and squirrel/people watch. take a book and a bag of fruit/nuts and there goes my entire afternoon :)

Squirrel watching is the best! We have a tomato war going on right now, but the squirrels are winning. One of them just plucked off a nice big, ready tomato minutes before we got there and sat on the deck railing and ate the whole thing. They dive off the trees and throw acorns at each other (or they hit me in the head with them). They are very entertaining though. They also take baths in the bird bath.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
So, you know far in the distant future how the sun is gonna expand one day? Anyone know the latest astronomer's prediction as to how far out into our solar system this will go? Will the sun's giant fireball reach Jupiter? Get close to Kuiper's Belt? I always thought it would swallow all planets up to and including Mars but just seeing if modern theories are different now. If anyone knows, thanks.

I can google this but you guys are better than Google because sometimes I have to reformulate my question to find exactly what I want on google whereas youse know the first time I ask. I was asking for this poem I'm writing and I make reference to Kuiper's Belt and Jupiter (astronomy is a muse for me--I find much in astronomy allegorical to LIFE and human existence in general). I just learned today that Kuiper's Belt surrounds Neptune, not Jupiter as I wrongly thought. (Insert obligatory Uranus joke).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

As far as I know, expanding to about Jupiter is still the going theory. The sun is just an average size/mass star so it won't ever get as big as something like Betelgeuse.

Darn, I can't remember the title, but I just read a book on the sun a few months ago. I talked about it in the reading thread.

Asteroid Belt = between Mars & Jupiter
Kuiper Belt = trans-Neptunian stuff
Oort Cloud = comets; mostly theoretical spherical boundary of the solar system, basically the point beyond which the sun has no influence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, lava. I had the asteroid belt mixed up with Kuiper Belt. I must investigate this Oort Cloud thing as I haven't brought this into anything. I sometimes deploy black holes, too, but whenever I try they never seem to work out in my poem/ideas...but one day...I'll find the perfect thing for them. They are kind of obvious, though, imagery-wise so maybe that's why they never work out for me. I also want to read more about neutron stars because something about them compels me.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. See? PPK folks ARE better than google! <3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

8ball wrote:
Keep at it! I was like the panda when I started but can lift 200lbs now.

Um you are the absolute best. I want to be cool and strong like you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A good friend of mine came to me and said that a friend of hers was curious about veganism. She asked if I would be interested in teaching her a bit about it. Of course I am, right? So this person finds me on Facebook. I accept the request and go over to check out her page . . . and it's full of racist, ignorant bullshiitake. Multiple posts about "this white person was shot by this black person and you never heard it on the news, so why is Trayvon such a big deal?" And "Obama should resign!" I have no tolerance for that stuff these days. Help me be a good person, PPK.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:09 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

starrynight87 wrote:
A good friend of mine came to me and said that a friend of hers was curious about veganism. She asked if I would be interested in teaching her a bit about it. Of course I am, right? So this person finds me on Facebook. I accept the request and go over to check out her page . . . and it's full of racist, ignorant bullshiitake. Multiple posts about "this white person was shot by this black person and you never heard it on the news, so why is Trayvon such a big deal?" And "Obama should resign!" I have no tolerance for that stuff these days. Help me be a good person, PPK.

You're already feeling the right feelings for being a good person! Not tolerating that stuff! Dude in no way do I think you should help this person!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:10 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

paprikapapaya wrote:

Get addicted to World of Warcraft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

starrynight87 wrote:

Is it stuff they've posted, or stuff they've let other people post on their wall? They could just be a bit clueless about how fb works if it's the latter (I had a friend who suddenly had a horrible racist thing appear, when we asked him what the fork he was talking about it was something someone else had posted in a group he was a member of, and he had the heads up to remove it from his timeline). If they're genuinely interested in veganism though, the chances are you're going to point them in the direction of great forums like this, where they'll be exposed to alternative viewpoints!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

just realized that if my neighbors can hear the noises my computer is making they could absolutely assume it's just a REALLY powerful vibrator.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mars wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Get addicted to World of Warcraft
Skyrim's good! Get addicted to Skyrim. You can get married, gather herbs, buy a house and become an artisan jewellery maker. Also something about dragons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

paprikapapaya wrote:

Volunteer at an animal shelter or retirement home. Yes, both places smell bad, but you can bring so much joy just by being there. Obviously the animals appreciate you, but it's also heartbreaking how little positive interaction those elderly folks have with anyone in the "outside." Many of them never have any visitors.....like, for years, no one comes to see them. Just a few hours a week makes a world of difference to these folks/animals. At the retirement places, you can do stuff, or not....ie just be there and talk with them. They often have some good stories to share and are soooo appreciative of company and a smiling face.

....and you'll still have plenty of time for Skyrim :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wish I could just be unemployed. I know people say they get bored, but if I know I'm financially stable without a job, I'm good to go!

Read all the books on my list.
Do big cooking projects.
Exercise and keep the house clean without feeling like I'm wasting time I could be doing fun things, because I have all the time in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:48 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I spend a lot of time wishing I could come into huge amounts of money and could afford to be unemployed forever. But that would take millions. And with the way I eat, like tens of millions. I'm not one of those super-work ethic people, I could sit and do nothing and feel good about myself. I have no shame. If I won the lottery I would most certainly quit my job and rot in my golden mansion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 am 
Ninja Master

Fee wrote:
I spend a lot of time wishing I could come into huge amounts of money and could afford to be unemployed forever. But that would take millions. And with the way I eat, like tens of millions. I'm not one of those super-work ethic people, I could sit and do nothing and feel good about myself. I have no shame. If I won the lottery I would most certainly quit my job and rot in my golden mansion.

Me too, for sure.

If I had a job that enriched my life in some way I might still do it part time or something. But my job sucks for the main part so yeah, I would quit in a heartbeat and fill my day with stuff I want to do rather than stuff I have to do to pay bills.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, me too. I hate my job, and I generally find that I just don't like working. I'd love to be able to do whatever I wanted all the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1504, 1505, 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510 ... 1828  Next