| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1505, 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511 ... 2108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dropscone wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
A good friend of mine came to me and said that a friend of hers was curious about veganism. She asked if I would be interested in teaching her a bit about it. Of course I am, right? So this person finds me on Facebook. I accept the request and go over to check out her page . . . and it's full of racist, ignorant bullshiitake. Multiple posts about "this white person was shot by this black person and you never heard it on the news, so why is Trayvon such a big deal?" And "Obama should resign!" I have no tolerance for that stuff these days. Help me be a good person, PPK.

Is it stuff they've posted, or stuff they've let other people post on their wall? They could just be a bit clueless about how fb works if it's the latter (I had a friend who suddenly had a horrible racist thing appear, when we asked him what the fork he was talking about it was something someone else had posted in a group he was a member of, and he had the heads up to remove it from his timeline). If they're genuinely interested in veganism though, the chances are you're going to point them in the direction of great forums like this, where they'll be exposed to alternative viewpoints!

I was thinking about it last night, and I think that compassion for the animals opened me up to genuine compassion for people. Maybe there's hope.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

baps wrote:
Fee wrote:
I spend a lot of time wishing I could come into huge amounts of money and could afford to be unemployed forever. But that would take millions. And with the way I eat, like tens of millions. I'm not one of those super-work ethic people, I could sit and do nothing and feel good about myself. I have no shame. If I won the lottery I would most certainly quit my job and rot in my golden mansion.

Me too, for sure.

If I had a job that enriched my life in some way I might still do it part time or something. But my job sucks for the main part so yeah, I would quit in a heartbeat and fill my day with stuff I want to do rather than stuff I have to do to pay bills.

Same. I work so I can buy things, not because I love my job. I like it just fine, but I wouldn't hesitate to drop it if I came into enough money. Give me a good internet connection, some fun games, good music, lots of craft supplies, and some cute little kitty faces and I'm good.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:06 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My job is actually pretty enriching and I think I'm doing some good in the world, but I don't have much patience and it would take like 3 seconds for me to get aggravated at work and just quit because I'm a millionaire and I just can't fix another paper jam.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My bank's website is being a dick, so I'm paying some bills over the phone. AUGH my gawd automated phone systems can suck a serious nasty dick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

tofucheez wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

What do people do when they don't work? I'm on Day 2 of unemployment and I'm already running out of ideas.

Volunteer at an animal shelter or retirement home. Yes, both places smell bad, but you can bring so much joy just by being there. Obviously the animals appreciate you, but it's also heartbreaking how little positive interaction those elderly folks have with anyone in the "outside." Many of them never have any visitors.....like, for years, no one comes to see them. Just a few hours a week makes a world of difference to these folks/animals. At the retirement places, you can do stuff, or not....ie just be there and talk with them. They often have some good stories to share and are soooo appreciative of company and a smiling face.

....and you'll still have plenty of time for Skyrim :)

I think that's a really good idea if it's something you'd be up for paprikapapaya. I kind of hate talking to people, so I don't know if I could do it. An acquaintance of mine had a scooter accident and was in a rehab facility after knee surgery, and he said that there were so many people who just really wanted a someone to talk to. He had an older lady he'd eat lunch with, and he said you could tell that she just loved having someone to talk to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars wrote:
My bank's website is being a dick, so I'm paying some bills over the phone. AUGH my gawd automated phone systems can suck a serious nasty dick.

I hate automated phone systems. The worst are the ones where you have to tell it what you want. We have that with our office landline, and I hate having to call it. I always forget about it, and then I have to quickly think of what our issue might be (other than "phone's dead") so I can tell the computer that will inevitably mishear me or something.

I asked Mike to buy some ice cream on his way home because I'm on my period and I'm broke and I wanted ice cream. So he bought it before he got the train home, and it sat out for about an hour. I put it in the freezer when he got home, and we had dinner, but it was still almost completely melted when I got it out. Then he claimed it made him ill (before he even finished it, and after having 2 servings of beans and rice). I'm pretty sure it wasn't the ice cream, but whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:15 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

You know your data is unreliable when... a heavily weighted parameter in your calculations is RateMyProfessor.com where for at least one university less than 1/3 of the faculty is listed (even fewer reviewed because the university has its own internal rating system) and there are at least 3 fictional characters claimed to be in the department of Physics alone.

But I'm not bitter about poorly executed statistical analysis or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm 

My dad is so freaking weird. Every single time he gets an EOB from his insurance that like I went to they gyn or had a prescription filled he calls and asks me what I went to the doctor for. It's not a bill, I pay everything up front, it's just a notice insurance was used and he HAS to know. For everything. Ever. I just pretended to not know for my last nuva ring prescription.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My phone is so stupid. T texted me forever ago that he was coming over after the gym, and it seemed to be taking longer than usual, but I didn't want to be all like 'where the hell are you?' when he was probably just in the sauna or whatever. He finally called and said he had sent me 4 texts asking if he should pick up a movie/get wine/come over now/etc and I didn't get a single one of them. Lamesauce! I like only paying $25/month for this piece of shiitake, but the service is soooooo bad sometimes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Fee wrote:
My dad is so freaking weird. Every single time he gets an EOB from his insurance that like I went to they gyn or had a prescription filled he calls and asks me what I went to the doctor for. It's not a bill, I pay everything up front, it's just a notice insurance was used and he HAS to know. For everything. Ever. I just pretended to not know for my last nuva ring prescription.

Make up something superbly embarrassing and see if he asks again?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 pm 

No he loves embarrassing stuff. He called to remind me to get a Pap smear a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I cannot imagine my dad doing that. He did way more than his fair share of midnight tampon/peanut butter cup runs when I was a teenager (without ever asking what the fizzle I didn't stock up before) and he will listen to my mom and I talk without squirming, but you can tell it takes him a little effort not to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 pm 

The weird thing is that he barely talks to me otherwise. We only see each other twice a year max and has never gone on a tampon run in his life. But I guess he's up on my vaginal health? Good, I'm glad someone is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

living as the only male in a house full of females was not enough to shake my dad's conviction that none of his offspring had any reproductive parts of any sort, and i think everyone is pretty grateful for that. nothing going on down there, dad! not since the diaper rash!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So that person who I'm teaching about veganism . . . the first question they asked me is "Can you get protein from anything other than tofu?" I laughed, because that is SO predictable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 am 

This HAS to be fake: http://www.collegehumor.com/article/690 ... homecoming

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So it turns out that scooping up a cold used teabag in with your fruit when you throw it in the blender isn't a very good idea. Who'd have thought?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
So it turns out that scooping up a cold used teabag in with your fruit when you throw it in the blender isn't a very good idea. Who'd have thought?

Mmm... fibery, leafy goodness....

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:03 am 
Impressive boner

Annie's (of Annie's Burger Shack) mother owns the house that The Conjuring is set in. Apparently people are wandering around the property at night with torches and have been trying to break in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

8ball wrote:
Annie's (of Annie's Burger Shack) mother owns the house that The Conjuring is set in. Apparently people are wandering around the property at night with torches and have been trying to break in.

Wow, really? The Arnold Estate in Rhode Island? That's pretty terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:08 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Mr. Shankly wrote:

i hope so? i mean, it refers to nirvana as a "her."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

acr wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

It's on Sub Pop's tumblr too. VT is a pretty good school and it's hard to believe a student there would be so stupid.

http://subpop.tumblr.com/post/562808690 ... e-received

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 am 
And you never will.

I'm getting my hair cut for the first time in six months, by a stylist I've never been to before, in less than two hours. My stomach is in knots and I'm starting to feel sick. Tell me it will be okay! It's just hair, right? The only thing keeping me from just canceling out of paralyzing fear, is the fact that my panic at screwing someone over by canceling an appointment at the last minute is like a million times worse than my panic over getting my hair cut at a new place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

starrynight87 wrote:
A good friend of mine came to me and said that a friend of hers was curious about veganism. She asked if I would be interested in teaching her a bit about it. Of course I am, right? So this person finds me on Facebook. I accept the request and go over to check out her page . . . and it's full of racist, ignorant bullshiitake. Multiple posts about "this white person was shot by this black person and you never heard it on the news, so why is Trayvon such a big deal?" And "Obama should resign!" I have no tolerance for that stuff these days. Help me be a good person, PPK.

Obviously that stuff sucks, but I don't see why that would stop you from teaching this person about veganism!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 am 

blondiefk wrote:
acr wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

It's on Sub Pop's tumblr too. VT is a pretty good school and it's hard to believe a student there would be so stupid.

http://subpop.tumblr.com/post/562808690 ... e-received

""Let's go Hoagies!!!" or something like that" HAHAHAHA!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1505, 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511 ... 2108  Next