| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512 ... 1887  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was doing a purchase order and noticed that we've paid out £10,500 for a consultant to do up to 42 days worth of work for us. That's nearly 2/3 of my yearly salary. So we can't afford to increase staff pay to meet inflation, but we can afford to pay someone £250 per day to consult for us (with no guarantee of results).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

rachell37 wrote:
I was doing a purchase order and noticed that we've paid out £10,500 for a consultant to do up to 42 days worth of work for us. That's nearly 2/3 of my yearly salary. So we can't afford to increase staff pay to meet inflation, but we can afford to pay someone £250 per day to consult for us (with no guarantee of results).

Ugh, that happens ALL of the time in my department. My manager says we can't increase our staff, but we spend SO much on consultants, that have less training than I do but are paid more because they are consultants.

The thing that irritates me about it is that we are a CHARITY, and we are wasting charitable dollars.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:18 am 
WELFARIST!

lobsteriffic wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Ugh, that happens ALL of the time in my department. My manager says we can't increase our staff, but we spend SO much on consultants, that have less training than I do but are paid more because they are consultants.

The thing that irritates me about it is that we are a CHARITY, and we are wasting charitable dollars.

I worked for this one doctor in the late 1990s and she was hired as an expert witness to give testimony in a court case relative to her subspecialty in doctorin'. She prepared for the case, maybe spent all of three hours reviewing stuff for it, and was prepared to go to Montreal to testify (for three days--all expenses paid) but then she was informed she was not needed after all so this never happened. A week later, the lawyer's office who called her as an expert witness and then canceled her appearance on the stand sent her her fee of $23,000 anyway for her trouble, for what turned out to be three hours preparation work on her part for a task that never happened. Hmphf.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:30 am 
Dead by dawn

Ugh. A couple of adults just got on the bus with a dozen or so kids from the Boys & Girls Club (that's not the ugh part!) There's an old dude on the bus who must have said something to the woman who got on with them as she passed because she said to him, "Don't worry, they won't yell and scream, I promise." To which he started muttering loudly about how they shouldn't be allowed to take the bus because they're taking up valuable space 'for working people.' Whattadouche. Dude, it's public transportation. You know, for... the public.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:44 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Maybe he should buy them all cars so they stop crowding up his working people bus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am trying to sell a bunch of stuff on craigslist. Sigh. I hate the process. But need to clean out the garage.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Fee wrote:
Maybe he should buy them all cars so they stop crowding up his working people bus.

<3

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
acr wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

i hope so? i mean, it refers to nirvana as a "her."

It's on Sub Pop's tumblr too. VT is a pretty good school and it's hard to believe a student there would be so stupid.

http://subpop.tumblr.com/post/562808690 ... e-received

Obviously, I want to defend VT's honor. While it is an excellent engineering school and has a kick asparagus geology program (one of the best on the east coast), the, uh, football program is questionable. Football is king in Blacksburg, even with a giant walking turkey as our mascot,

I'm hoping this is some drunk joke cooked up; the flower paper makes me think it is. But, I've had students stunned to find out that I listen to Nirvana. I think they feel that all music exists only today and older music was just held in some cryogenic vault until they were born.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think young people are just surprised when their teachers have interests? My 34 year old teacher friend played The Cure in her 8th grade classroom, and they told her it was "old people music."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Ugh. A couple of adults just got on the bus with a dozen or so kids from the Boys & Girls Club (that's not the ugh part!) There's an old dude on the bus who must have said something to the woman who got on with them as she passed because she said to him, "Don't worry, they won't yell and scream, I promise." To which he started muttering loudly about how they shouldn't be allowed to take the bus because they're taking up valuable space 'for working people.' Whattadouche. Dude, it's public transportation. You know, for... the public.

Goddamn kids, who told them they could leave the house?

(That is ridiculous.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lobsteriffic wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

So do I! I'm always trying to find ways to save money on stationery and shiitake so that, apparently, we can blow it all on consultants.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:33 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Seattle's pretty hilly. You'd think the busses would have grippy fabric on the seats. Nope. I've nearly slid right off so many times on this trip.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:37 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

creep wrote:
I think young people are just surprised when their teachers have interests? My 34 year old teacher friend played The Cure in her 8th grade classroom, and they told her it was "old people music."

*cries*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:48 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

blondiefk wrote:
acr wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

i hope so? i mean, it refers to nirvana as a "her."

It's on Sub Pop's tumblr too. VT is a pretty good school and it's hard to believe a student there would be so stupid.

Maybe I'm totally off base, but it just read to me as a letter from someone that's originally from a non-english speaking country that's probably never heard of Nirvana. The grammatical errors like calling Nirvana a "her" didn't seem stupid as much as...foreign?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

acr wrote:
creep wrote:

*cries*

Ha. I think young people are surprised that their teachers have lives at all. If I see a student in town at the weekend, on Monday they'll say to me in an awed voice; "Miss, I saw you in town on Saturday!", as if A. I'm so senile I might have forgotten, and B. they think I spend out of school hours on a camp bed in the stationery cupboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I go a $15 coupon code for Vegan Chic when I ordered the Vegan Cuts snack box, and neither me nor my husband can find anything on that website that we want, and it expires August 1st. I'm just going to post it here, and anyone feel free to use it. One time use, obviously, so I guess just give it a try and hope no one else got to it first? Here you go:

Quote:
VeganCuts!!)(*!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Fee wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Maybe I'm totally off base, but it just read to me as a letter from someone that's originally from a non-english speaking country that's probably never heard of Nirvana. The grammatical errors like calling Nirvana a "her" didn't seem stupid as much as...foreign?

i don't know; i didn't think there were that many grammatical errors. it was probably a form letter that didn't get updated completely after being sent to some other label/artist. but the student definitely didn't know anything about nirvana, because she was super stoked to get that video of four random Sub Pop staffers claiming to be the band.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think it's entirely possible that someone doesn't know who Nirvana is/was, even in this day and age. KC has been dead almost twenty years, that might span this student's lifetime.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

So like...I'm noticing even in reference books where I'd find nary an error in sight in years past...like, the physician listings I reference, for example, I'm getting lower case NAMES. I.e. dr. john smith (address, etc.) This never used to happen. Never!!! e.e cummings would have lost all his monikered uniqueness in this day and age.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GUYS I THINK I FINISHED PACKING MY ENTIRE LIFE UP 3 DAYS EARLY???? I'M FREAKING OUT AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THIS. IF I DRANK I WOULD GO GET A BEER DANG.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:26 pm 
Dead by dawn

kara kara wrote:
Seattle's pretty hilly. You'd think the busses would have grippy fabric on the seats. Nope. I've nearly slid right off so many times on this trip.

Story of my life!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

A friend of mine who moved away last year is back in town for a wedding and wants to get together with our old restaurant friend group for dinner. I'm all in knots about it because ever since I quit and started dating T, two of them no longer talk to me and the other two or three were just at work friends. And one of them is my ex-friend that totally flipped her shiitake when he and I started dating and became a huge bisque to me and tried to start all sorts of drama. I haven't spoken to any of them in months, except the girl who moved away. They're all still friends. I'm nervous! E (the drama girl) is just the sort to say something rude and hateful to my face which would just make me feel all flustered and angry. I'm hoping that she can be civil and when the topic of me dating him inevitably comes up (I mean...we all used to work for him...) that she will just keep her nasty thoughts to herself. I suppose that I could just...not go, but that would be letting my anxiety win. And I want to see my out of town friend! She doesn't have time to do anything else since she's just in for this wedding, so it's this or nothing.

Also, one of my campers totally pushed another camper today, and the pushee totally smashed the side of his head on a rock and had a bloody ear. Everyone was fine, albeit a bit sore and butt-hurt. I am so over this week!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

seitanicverses wrote:
I think it's entirely possible that someone doesn't know who Nirvana is/was, even in this day and age. KC has been dead almost twenty years, that might span this student's lifetime.

Nirvana is pretty popular again among teenagers. Or at least was the last two years. They definitely know the band and songs, but beyond that, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:47 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Nirvana is pretty popular again among teenagers. Or at least was the last two years. They definitely know the band and songs, but beyond that, I don't know.

This is definitely true. Although, when I first heard Nirvana in the early 2000's it was a while before I knew their whole backstory--but I was 11 and had no older siblings and the internet was not what it is now.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:53 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

seitanicverses wrote:
KC has been dead almost twenty years

That just made me feel very old indeed.

ETA: in the sense of "Good God, where did the time go?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1506, 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512 ... 1887  Next