| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512, 1513 ... 1826  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 pm 
Dead by dawn

jogirl wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
KC has been dead almost twenty years

That just made me feel very old indeed.

ETA: in the sense of "Good God, where did the time go?"

Yup.

I got married 20 years ago next month. Which also makes me feel very old. I can't possibly be old enough to have been married 20 years! (I mean, obviously I haven't been married 20 years, but I could have been if it had stuck...) Biker boy said, "Oh yeah, we're old enough to have kids in college." And I replied that we are also young enough to have kids in diapers, which makes the early 40s a strange age indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a call from a worker in another department about a sick cat in the parking lot. I went to get my stuff so I could bring it to the vet, but his owners came and got him before I could. I went to their house and had to beg them to let me bring him to the vet. They finally gave in and thankfully the cat was FIV/FELV negative, but he needed meds for worms and a URI. I'm bummed because I had to give him back to people who don't give a shiitake about him. He wouldn't be considered neglected under the law, so there was no way I could keep him and bring him to the shelter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:01 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

All of the age talk is making me think about how when I was a teenager 27, which I will be by week's end, was really old but now I am here I don't feel really old. In fact, I feel pretty young. Perspective is funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

heh. my friend and i were just out with someone who's 28, and when she left we both said, "i like her, but she's so young." and then we whined about how we'd wasted our lives and were totally resentful of young people with all their optimism.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just don't know how you would find out something like their recording company without finding out he's dead and they haven't recorded an album in years. I mean, I just did a simple google search of "Nirvana" and the first thing to pop up on the right hand side was of Kurt Cobain's death date.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hahaha. I couldn't imagine knowing anyone at all who hadn't heard of Nirvana by age seven or eight and heard enough of their stuff on the radio to be sick of them by eleven. But that's growing up in Seattle.

Dude! Trains scare me! Like the subway in New York and the El in Chicago. Slippy slidey bus rides are fun and normal! Then again, growing up in Seattle...

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:24 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm so pleased that I figured out how to make accent marks on letters on my computer. Apple makes it so easy. So what if I don't need them every day? I can write words in Spanish now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My aunt just posted this on FB. I can't even.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 am 
Ninja Master

rachell37 wrote:

Wow.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The thing with my old friends went much better than I expected. It was great to see the one who had moved away, and I got to catch up with the others that were just work friends. The two that don't talk to me anymore were thick as thieves and didn't really talk to me, which is fine with me, because I didn't really talk to them either, except to acknowledge them in group conversations. I left before any of them, which is typical me (in that group). They're all at least 5 years younger than me, drink more, and don't have to be at work at 8:30 in the morning.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

rachell37 wrote:

I don't get it. What's wrong with it? The writing style is a bit sensationalist and overdone, and some alleged correlations might be sketchy, but all in all the suggestions are not wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I went to the employment agency that contracts through my old work are done through...they wanted to have me in to discuss other opportunities in the company. Well, the recruiter said there is one for a pricing analyst position, great pay, a 6-month contract with option to renew/hire...and so we submitted my resume! I would love to go back if I could...it'd be in a different building and with different colleagues, which, if you can remember all my complaining about both those things, would be a good thing. Fingers crossed for that one. The job market in this city is truly AWFUL so I'd be a lucky duck to get this.

I'd continue doing graphic design/art on a freelance basis, and I'd probably buy myself a DSLR so I don't get rusty with those skills, either. But - potential job!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anek wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I don't get it. What's wrong with it? The writing style is a bit sensationalist and overdone, and some alleged correlations might be sketchy, but all in all the suggestions are not wrong.

It's mostly the stuff about eating pure and things being toxic or poison, and making gluten seem like some kind of newfangled evil food additive. And the anti-vax stuff. And the bits about not taking medicines and depression being caused by eating "toxic" food. And the not drinking tap water stuff.

ETA - Good luck, pp! I hope you get it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:30 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rachell37 wrote:
Anek wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

It's mostly the stuff about eating pure and things being toxic or poison, and making gluten seem like some kind of newfangled evil food additive. And the anti-vax stuff. And the bits about not taking medicines and depression being caused by eating "toxic" food. And the not drinking tap water stuff.

I would say there are a few things that resemble the truth slightly (like gluten makes some people constipated, sure, and food affects our health in many ways), but most of it is insane and some of it is pretty offensive. Saying that people who take medication are idiots? Demonizing fluoride, one of the most exciting public health innovations in recent history? "Toxins" and "superfoods"? Also some of these symptoms really need to be checked out by an actual doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:36 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

strawberryrock wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Anek wrote:

I would say there are a few things that resemble the truth slightly (like gluten makes some people constipated, sure, and food affects our health in many ways), but most of it is insane and some of it is pretty offensive. Saying that people who take medication are idiots? Demonizing fluoride, one of the most exciting public health innovations in recent history? "Toxins" and "superfoods"? Also some of these symptoms really need to be checked out by an actual doctor.

Hm, what I got out of it mostly was that if you eat junk you'll feel bad, and I guess for the average person that is already news enough. How many people do we know who have no idea what goes into the food they eat? I know many, and for their knowledge level this advice is not so bad. The PPK is more nutrition-aware so we know that eating more fruits and veggies and less junk food will make us feel better, but strangely enough for some people this is still news.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:17 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rachell37 wrote:
Anek wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Gah, that article made me really stabby, especially the tap water thing. And as someone who has had fairly severe eczema/psoriasis on and off since birth, that bit made me want to punch the computer.

(ETA: to clarify, what makes me angry is the underlying assumption that things like depression, eczema, psoriasis etc can all always be "cured" by a change in diet, and therefore that if one still suffers from them it is somehow one's own fault)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't like saying that everyone who takes medication is an idiot and that all medications are bad. I don't think my bone infection would have been cured by a change in diet. And making the suggested dietary changes including cutting out gluten had no effect on my mental illness.

Eta - though she doesn't say all medications are bad. Maybe taking antibiotics is okay by her.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:52 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Anek wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Hm, what I got out of it mostly was that if you eat junk you'll feel bad, and I guess for the average person that is already news enough. How many people do we know who have no idea what goes into the food they eat? I know many, and for their knowledge level this advice is not so bad. The PPK is more nutrition-aware so we know that eating more fruits and veggies and less junk food will make us feel better, but strangely enough for some people this is still news.

Demonizing food(s) will never lead to a healthier relationship with food.

This:
Quote:
Gluten is "mutant" GMO food "glue" and causes constipation

is both not true and leads to people cutting out entire food groups for no good reason and restrictive dieting can be the first step toward disordered eating.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

Good luck, pp!!! <3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

j-dub wrote:
Anek wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Demonizing food(s) will never lead to a healthier relationship with food.

This:
Quote:
Gluten is "mutant" GMO food "glue" and causes constipation

is both not true and leads to people cutting out entire food groups for no good reason and restrictive dieting can be the first step toward disordered eating.

I agree with all this, and also basically it's just annoying and rude to demonize food in this way. Believe or not, I think the average person has already heard from a million different sources that this thing or that thing is bad for them or toxic. After awhile it becomes fatiguing and like so much white noise, and people start filtering it all out anyway.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:40 pm 
Hip Goiter

baps wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Wow.

This part makes me feel like an Onion staffer is behind this:

Quote:
You are caught in a massive brain fog: Did you just drink some tap water? Did you just get a flu shot or a vaccine?

Like...I can't even respond to that, so I'm going to pretend it's funny. Hahaha

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:30 pm 
Chard Martyr

rachell37 wrote:
"Without further adieu..." haha
RandiJM wrote:
Like...I can't even respond to that, so I'm going to pretend it's funny. Hahaha
exactly.

YAY done with work for the week. Love my new job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:01 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My oldest is out apartment hunting today. I am glad he feels like he can do this. And at the same time I am not sure he is stable enough to do this.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Good luck PPP xxxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Just heard someone tapping on the porch screen door and the dogs flipping out. I knew the house door was open. Turned out to be my mom's friend, but it scared the shiitake out of me. I was sure someone was trying to get in the house.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1507, 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512, 1513 ... 1826  Next