| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1511, 1512, 1513, 1514, 1515, 1516, 1517 ... 1767  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am kicking around the idea of a free library for my cul-de-sac. I know that I can pick up a ton of books super cheap and I think it would be a nice thing.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
My mom is having a hip replacement surgery tomorrow. (Left one now, right one will be done 6 months later. The doctor said he's never seen hips so bad in someone so young, so it's probably genetic. Great.) So of course I am worrying! Can anyone tell me a story about someone who had a hip replacement and they turned out totally fine and I shouldn't worry so much?

I can! I had a hip replacement two years ago, and I am utterly and totally fine now! I had "severe degenerative arthritis" according to the doc and was in a LOT of pain, but the operation was a complete success and I recovered with no problems at all. Feel free to PM me if you want more details/have any questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:18 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thanks, jogirl! I'm glad your surgery went well! I hope my mom will feel so much better once she has both hips done. I know she gets really frustrated now because the pain is so bad that she can barely walk and she really wants to be able to be active again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I worked for the day at a local agency who I know and did some design work for them. Going back tomorrow. They've made it clear that they don't have the capacity to hire, but I can do some odd jobs while I look for other work.

My anxiety is exacerbated by unknowns, unfamiliars and new things, so this is a really fun time for me. Urgh.

In other news, DO NOT eat spicy salsa and salty tortilla chips when you have bad coldsores in the corners of your mouth.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm 

Thanks, jogirl! I'm glad your surgery went well! I hope my mom will feel so much better once she has both hips done. I know she gets really frustrated now because the pain is so bad that she can barely walk and she really wants to be able to be active again.

Well obviously I can only speak from my experience, but i was in the same boat as your mom: I was unable to walk at all without pain or without a stick, I couldn't climb stairs at all, it hurt standing up/sitting down/lying down - all the time basically. And that arthritic pain went away INSTANTLY after the operation (obviously there was still some pain, but it was "recovering from surgery" pain easily dealt with by painkillers). Good luck to your mom!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:41 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
I worked for the day at a local agency who I know and did some design work for them. Going back tomorrow. They've made it clear that they don't have the capacity to hire, but I can do some odd jobs while I look for other work.

My anxiety is exacerbated by unknowns, unfamiliars and new things, so this is a really fun time for me. Urgh.

I'm wondering if it would help to think you've got "nothing to lose".

What sometimes helps for me is to think "I'm new at this, so I'm supposed to screw up something".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Random guy I passed while walking my dog: "Ohhhh, so pretty!"
Me (ecstatic that someone is FINALLY acknowledging my dog): "Thanks!"
Random guy: "Yeah, and the dog's nice too."
Me: :/

I am seriously considering asking friends to station themselves along my walking route, so my dog can meet someone who is not a total creepster who will stop and pet her. She wants to say hi to people so much, and the only people who ever acknowledge our presence are people I really don't want to interact with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Random guy I passed while walking my dog: "Ohhhh, so pretty!"
Me (ecstatic that someone is FINALLY acknowledging my dog): "Thanks!"
Random guy: "Yeah, and the dog's nice too."
Me: :/

I am seriously considering asking friends to station themselves along my walking route, so my dog can meet someone who is not a total creepster who will stop and pet her. She wants to say hi to people so much, and the only people who ever acknowledge our presence are people I really don't want to interact with.

Haha my brother had the inverse of this interaction recently. He was walking along and this woman's dog started sniffing at him, as dogs tend to do, so he asked if he could pet said dog, and she said okay but seemed fairly certain he was hitting on her.

Also: gah. My dad's having a wee shindig at our beach house tonight for a particular group of friends, to which I'm invited. A select handful of these people are really cool. Another, larger handful are people who say shitty things about the one gay man in the group the second he walks away, and use ethnic slurs for Muslims, and say things like "Well, you can give [poor people] what they want or you can increase your police force!" It's a half hour drive and I kind of want to be social with the people that I like, but also I want to avoid head-explodey language and goddamnit I wanna eat popsicles and watch movies.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:06 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so tired that i just forgot how to use my sink--like, for a really long time forgot, even though i've used it every day for two years. i couldn't understand why the water was getting colder instead of warmer, but of course it was because i was turning the hot water off. *sigh* i thought yesterday was today and i took all the wrong vitamins, and today i was in panic mode for at least fifteen minutes because i thought i'd forgotten to do something that i don't need to even start until tomorrow, and . . . sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've been doing an ongoing experiment and have come to the conclusion that I am yogurt intolerant. At least I know I am coconut, Greek coconut, and almond milk yogurt, since I can't find any soy yogurt right now. Anyway, every time I eat yogurt I get a terrible stomach ache.

So that's weird.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

"Vegetarians Abroad" just followed me on Twitter, so I went to their site. started reading an article about NZ and some places I'd been to. then I read this:
"Kaikoura is also famous for it’s fresh seafood including delicious crayfish."

DELICIOUS CRAYFISH! veg*ns love crayfish! especially delicious crayfish!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 pm 
Chard Martyr

I think this is how karma works... on my way to work I got to pet a french bulldog on the subway, then later I held a door open for a guy in a wheel chair who was having trouble reaching the door handle and then on my home I got to pet two more dogs. 3 dog pets for one door holding seems fair, right?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm starting to really realize I'm about to live in my truck, and what that means for me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Mars wrote:
I'm starting to really realize I'm about to live in my truck, and what that means for me.

How did that come about? Did something happen?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Veg_Eric wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I'm wondering if it would help to think you've got "nothing to lose".

What sometimes helps for me is to think "I'm new at this, so I'm supposed to screw up something".

You're right. At this point, I have nothing to lose. I just have terrible, terribly anxiety and it plays tricks on me and makes things way worse than they need to be.

I'm just so uncomfortable with unknowns. I wish I were one of those people who could just be all, "it'll all work out for the best, I just believe it will!" but I'm not.

And anyway, probably after tomorrow that's all the help they'll need from me. Then it's back to...I don't even know what.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Once more unto the breech!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

How many popsicles is too many popsicles?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

kfad wrote:
How many popsicles is too many popsicles?

i can't even count that high.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 pm 

Fee wrote:
Mars wrote:

On the sixth I leave to go to California for three weeks, and I've been needing to get out of this place I'm living in now, too, just for metal health, I don't want to live here anymore. So, it didn't make sense to pay rent for a month where I wouldn't be here for most of it. But that means about six days living in my truck, and maybe a week of that also when I get back from my trip, unless I can find a place where a room is available earlier than the 1st.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:42 pm 

Also want to rant about a FB thing on my feed now:

So a friend of mine is posting before, during and after photos of a VERY large tree being removed from outside his home. He's not making any comment on this situation other than it's happening. But then all of a sudden there's a ton of comments like "That's TERRIBLE!", " :( ", " What?! Why would they do that?!?!". I'm resisting commenting, so hard, because I don't know these people, about how ridiculous they're being. It's a tree in the middle of a city. It's way outgrown the space, is probably hugely dangerous to both the city's pipes, and for falling onto homes. And seriously, it's one tree. I bet these people love buying paper products, which trees get felled by the thousands for. The wood's going to get used for something, and the city plants trees all the time, more than making up for what they take.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 am 

Mars wrote:
Fee wrote:
Mars wrote:

On the sixth I leave to go to California for three weeks, and I've been needing to get out of this place I'm living in now, too, just for metal health, I don't want to live here anymore. So, it didn't make sense to pay rent for a month where I wouldn't be here for most of it. But that means about six days living in my truck, and maybe a week of that also when I get back from my trip, unless I can find a place where a room is available earlier than the 1st.

if you need a bed for a little while, there's one here. no strings. but cookies/cupcakes are appreciated.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:06 am 

That's sweet! I don't think I'll have to take you up on it, I think the actual sleeping at night part will be the easiest. What I'm getting concerned about is mostly a combo of dog-logistics, and storage space.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 am 

ah, well, if you're in a bind, I can help with both of those too without too much hassle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I think this is how karma works... on my way to work I got to pet a french bulldog on the subway, then later I held a door open for a guy in a wheel chair who was having trouble reaching the door handle and then on my home I got to pet two more dogs. 3 dog pets for one door holding seems fair, right?

Do unto others as you would help dogs enjoy pets!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dbl post

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 44161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1511, 1512, 1513, 1514, 1515, 1516, 1517 ... 1767  Next