| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1514, 1515, 1516, 1517, 1518, 1519, 1520 ... 1864  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1480
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
rachell37 wrote:
My cousin just found out that she's having a boy. They're naming him Jaxyn.

Oh dear God.

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:30 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2268
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
rachell37 wrote:
My cousin just found out that she's having a boy. They're naming him Jaxyn.
I choose to believe that's pronounced Yak-Swine. Congratulations to her all the same : )

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10331
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
seitanicverses wrote:
Thanks, guys! Totally looking forward. Robert Wagner is going to be on board. My sister immediately pointed out the Natalie Wood tragedy when I mentioned RW was one of the celebrity guests (NW, RW's wife, died falling off their boat, The Splendour in 1981). And RW was in a movie version of Titanic (1953). I wonder if they'll screen it on the cruise?

The food pickings don't look good though--I mentioned I was vegan when I booked and she said there's a buffet "all the time" and I should be able to find stuff to eat, but the cruise, for me, isn't about food it's more about the classic movie theme so whatevs. My sister says if there's a salad bar I should be able to get chickpeas and rice and dressing and I can build my own salads and stuff. The cruise is only five days with two stops in Bahamas so I should be fine.

I'm going to work a lot the next couple of months to pay for it, but I really want to go so bad that even though I can't really afford it, I decided I'd just take on extra work and do it. I've never taken a vacation by myself like this where I'm just going to do something I've chosen myself--you know, no input or influence from anyone else and I'm really excited and loving having this now to look forward to!

I'm so happy for you! That sounds amazing. I love solo vacations too (or is your sister joining you?). Either way, hopefully in the wee hours you can do some inspired writing! I'm sure you can live off of boring vegan options for five days. Bring some treats (chocolate!) either way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 3225
Location: Almost Boston
I was visiting my mom today when her lunch tray arrived. It had two sad-looking salads, a small dry bread roll, an iced tea, and a cup of hot water. We thought at first that the hot water might be to make hot tea, but there was no teabag or anything. Just a mug of hot water. My mom doesn't know whether she was really high on pain meds when she ordered her meal, or whether the hospital just screwed up. Yesterday, after telling the staff that she was a vegetarian, they brought her a turkey sandwich.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5132
vijita wrote:
I'm so happy for you! That sounds amazing. I love solo vacations too (or is your sister joining you?). Either way, hopefully in the wee hours you can do some inspired writing! I'm sure you can live off of boring vegan options for five days. Bring some treats (chocolate!) either way.

Thanks! Nope, my sister isn't going. I'll be alone which will be fun and might inspire me to make new friends since I don't have a companion this trip. I will be bringing choclates and whatever treats I'm allowed. I'm a bit worried about getting seasick but the girl who booked my cabin told me she put me in the middle of the ship where it's more stable so hopefully, I'll be all right. I've always been fine on boats--in fact, I love them but I've never been on a voyage, you know, just cruised around lakes type thing.

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 pm 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6146
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
Mars, WHY are you homeless? I must've missed something :( I hope you are okay.

Today, I am listening to records and making a ton of food for the freezer. That way, when I get a job again, I have a freezer full of stuff to make the transition back to working easier. Next up, Ted Leo and chickpea cutlets. So PPK.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7898
Location: Seattle
Everyone in my office just left for a softball tournament with other offices. Even though I wasn't planning on playing, I was looking forward to going if only to get out of work for the afternoon. But I have to stay behind and be responsible to my customers who are expecting to close their home purchase on Monday. So it's just you and me, PPK, until my underwriter tells me we're cleared to draw up documents.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3654
Location: Nashville, TN
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I was visiting my mom today when her lunch tray arrived. It had two sad-looking salads, a small dry bread roll, an iced tea, and a cup of hot water. We thought at first that the hot water might be to make hot tea, but there was no teabag or anything. Just a mug of hot water. My mom doesn't know whether she was really high on pain meds when she ordered her meal, or whether the hospital just screwed up. Yesterday, after telling the staff that she was a vegetarian, they brought her a turkey sandwich.


Poor Mom! I was in the hospital two years ago, and the food they brought me was either so unvegan (with daily phone calls from the cafeteria discussing what they could bring me!) or so inedibly gross that I lost 7 pounds in 3 days. I ended up getting so frustrated/stressed between being super sick and super hungry that I ended up eating dairy and going back to lacto-ovo for a few months after that. I also was brought turkey, and cheese, and barley vegetable stew (with beef stock).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8206
Location: Philly/London
seitanicverses wrote:
Thanks, guys! Totally looking forward. Robert Wagner is going to be on board.


SV DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT STAND ABOVE DECK ANYWHERE NEAR HIM OMG OMG OMG MURDERERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Have fun :)

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:15 pm 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4081
Location: Nottingham.
rachell37 wrote:
My cousin just found out that she's having a boy. They're naming him Jaxyn.


My friend's nephew was going to be called Tazer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7524
Location: Portland
monkeytoes wrote:
Everyone in my office just left for a softball tournament with other offices. Even though I wasn't planning on playing, I was looking forward to going if only to get out of work for the afternoon. But I have to stay behind and be responsible to my customers who are expecting to close their home purchase on Monday. So it's just you and me, PPK, until my underwriter tells me we're cleared to draw up documents.


I am having to put off riding my bike until I get the cash to close on a deal for today. Super lame.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4995
Location: WV
I got paid to organize art supply closets all day, which basically was just me putting everything exactly where I want it to be and getting to chat with my pal who popped in about every 30 minutes or so to talk. Sweet stuff.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:01 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 3225
Location: Almost Boston
creep wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I was visiting my mom today when her lunch tray arrived. It had two sad-looking salads, a small dry bread roll, an iced tea, and a cup of hot water. We thought at first that the hot water might be to make hot tea, but there was no teabag or anything. Just a mug of hot water. My mom doesn't know whether she was really high on pain meds when she ordered her meal, or whether the hospital just screwed up. Yesterday, after telling the staff that she was a vegetarian, they brought her a turkey sandwich.


Poor Mom! I was in the hospital two years ago, and the food they brought me was either so unvegan (with daily phone calls from the cafeteria discussing what they could bring me!) or so inedibly gross that I lost 7 pounds in 3 days. I ended up getting so frustrated/stressed between being super sick and super hungry that I ended up eating dairy and going back to lacto-ovo for a few months after that. I also was brought turkey, and cheese, and barley vegetable stew (with beef stock).

It's terrible. Even my mom's doctor agreed that "the food here sucks." You'd think that hospitals would have a lot of healthy veg options, but nope. Tonight she got a plate of plain white rice and steamed carrots, so I guess they finally figured out what vegetarian means. Yum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 2086
Location: NYC/Schenectady, NY
I was in the hospital for six weeks once when I was vegetarian and they gave me American Cheese and bread for every meal, even breakfast. I had visitors every day though so I got at least one decent meal a day.

_________________
If a milkshake is going to change the world then it should be at least be an Oreo one. - daisychain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7898
Location: Seattle
jordanpattern wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
Everyone in my office just left for a softball tournament with other offices. Even though I wasn't planning on playing, I was looking forward to going if only to get out of work for the afternoon. But I have to stay behind and be responsible to my customers who are expecting to close their home purchase on Monday. So it's just you and me, PPK, until my underwriter tells me we're cleared to draw up documents.


I am having to put off riding my bike until I get the cash to close on a deal for today. Super lame.

On the upside, it's raining on them and I'm here at the office, dry and warm. So, that's something. Facebook tells me we're up 25-1.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am
Posts: 794
Location: with my dog....on a trail
monkeytoes wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
Everyone in my office just left for a softball tournament with other offices. Even though I wasn't planning on playing, I was looking forward to going if only to get out of work for the afternoon. But I have to stay behind and be responsible to my customers who are expecting to close their home purchase on Monday. So it's just you and me, PPK, until my underwriter tells me we're cleared to draw up documents.


I am having to put off riding my bike until I get the cash to close on a deal for today. Super lame.

On the upside, it's raining on them and I'm here at the office, dry and warm. So, that's something. Facebook tells me we're up 25-1.



that's pretty ironic timing.....driest July here since 1960, and their tournament falls on the one day we have rain...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:44 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 2086
Location: NYC/Schenectady, NY
I called my doctor this morning to call in a prescription for me. I went by the drugstore at 3 and they told me they were working on it. Now I went to pick it up they never received the prescription and it's too late to call my doctor and it's Friday.

_________________
If a milkshake is going to change the world then it should be at least be an Oreo one. - daisychain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 pm 
Offline
Shopped till she dropped
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:36 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: the land of too much wine and wind
The other wine buyer had a relatively minor, preventative surgery last week. She was originally told she could come back to work next week but now her doctor's office is saying 6-8 weeks. I heard about this a few days ago, but I've suddenly realized that I am now in charge of one of the largest wine departments in the company until she gets back. Uh, what!? I'm technically only the assistant wine buyer, and I really don't know how to adult, so this should be interesting.

_________________
I just brought out the carrot sticks. This is war. - paprikapapaya

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 am
Posts: 606
Location: Cambridge England
kara kara wrote:
The other wine buyer had a relatively minor, preventative surgery last week. She was originally told she could come back to work next week but now her doctor's office is saying 6-8 weeks. I heard about this a few days ago, but I've suddenly realized that I am now in charge of one of the largest wine departments in the company until she gets back. Uh, what!? I'm technically only the assistant wine buyer, and I really don't know how to adult, so this should be interesting.




did you mean 'how to be adult' or 'how to audit' ? either way this is a great opportunity to show how you can a) step things up b) keep a safe, steady course ... you know which would be best ...

_________________
"happiness is difficult to find within, impossible to find elsewhere"
"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2004
My hair looks like shiitake, I'm wearing one of my frumpiest dresses... and ofcourse I meet the most gorgeous veg*an I've ever seen in Belgium! Oh well, it's probably one of those "he's in a long term committed relationship with his high school sweetheart & they have 2 children" situations anyway. Or he's gay. But still!

_________________
When it comes to, you know, modern technology, think of me somewhere in the Middle Ages, training my hedgehog friends to knit socks. ~Phoenix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7466
Location: Portland, OR
paprikapapaya wrote:
Mars, WHY are you homeless? I must've missed something :( I hope you are okay.

It's okay ya'll! It's just chosen & situational homelessness. Just was really silly to get a place for August when for most of it I would be in CA with my friends.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 am 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7466
Location: Portland, OR
Ps; I need some suggestions! I'm going on a second date tonight with that guy who gave me his number, but we haven't picked what to do yet. I want to offer up some ideas, but I have none! What should we do, PPK? (Other than make out)

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 pm
Posts: 2145
Mars: going out for a vegan milkshake would be a pretty cute date!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:34 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7524
Location: Portland
Hey, Mars:

Living out of your car can be really dangerous. After reading your posts, I asked my bf, who lived as a homeless person in Portland for several years, what he thought about the potential risks faced by someone in your circumstances. He said that particularly now, in the summer, there are a lot of folks out on the streets who maybe aren't super balanced and mentally healthy. He said you're at risk for having your stuff stolen, and your person and your truck forked with. Basically, he said that it's dangerous out there, and while you might be perfectly fine, it's a pretty big risk you're running. He said he'd feel worried about anyone in your situation, given his experiences. On top of that, technically speaking, living in your vehicle is illegal, so if you have any trouble, your living situation could make it difficult to go to the police or access other services you might need.

I'm not trying to stigmatize either your situational/voluntary homelessness or homeless folks in general, but honestly, you being out there alone in your truck makes me worried. I seem to recall you've had offers of couches and spare rooms, and maybe it would be a good idea to take advantage of those.

I hope I don't sound judgmental or jerky here. I know you've had a rough couple of months, and it sounds like you've felt pretty alone lately. I totally get the urge to just say, "fork it" and do something kind of crazy to get it all out of your system (ask me how I know!). I'd just hate for it to result in you getting hurt. You're obviously a grown-ass person, and you can make whatever decision you want about what you want to do. <3

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7466
Location: Portland, OR
Seriously there's no need to worry to much folks! Not only is it only for a couple more days, I think I'm also very smart about it. I have a couple different spots I've scouted out and I'm at a different one each night. And these spots are very private, but also in safe residential areas. I can't even imagine these 'folks out on the streets' ever even seeing me remotely.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1514, 1515, 1516, 1517, 1518, 1519, 1520 ... 1864  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aelle, bsd, Google [Bot], pannkakan and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer