| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1531, 1532, 1533, 1534, 1535, 1536, 1537 ... 1860  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm 
And you never will.

I drink tea! I shall drink some tea. And I shall bake. Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

you can do it!!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:16 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

poopiebitch wrote:
ETA: Also, please never let me agree to do another ice cream cake ever again. Ever.

Guess what I want for my birthday cake next year...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:48 am 
And you never will.

Well obviously I would do another one for Mars. But only you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:08 am 
Saggy Butt

the babysitting discussion in the pet peeves thread has made me think of my experience with my year trading babysitting for reduced rent for a room in someone's house. I want to share this with people who will understand.

I was very lucky with the family I babysat for. The mom was really awesome about my veganism, though she definitely wasn't vegan herself. She once found a vegan veggie burger recipe in a magazine and invited me to dinner (and even gave me different bread, since she was using naan for herself and her kid). On another occasion she borrowed the cookie book to make cookies for her friend and she also came to the food co-op's birthday party with me, since I made a cake for the event. (Cutest thing ever was the 6 year old being really, really proud of my cake and so excited to eat it before excited watching someone get oats from the bulk bin.) She was always really nice about whatever food I shared with her.

She actually explained to her kid that I was vegan and what that meant and that different people eat different things and that's okay. (She also told the kid that we shouldn't play the hunting video game he wanted to show me --they were a hunting family--and that we should play wii baseball instead. I thought that was cool, because this was right after I moved in and she kept me from being the bad guy.)

I don't actively try to change people's minds for lots of personal reasons. But I do ask for respect. This family showed me so much more respect and demonstrated considerably more open-mindedness about veganism than the "hunting is barbaric, so I'll buy my meat at the store" people I usually spend my time with.

Now, when I moved in, the kid's favorite food already was salad, so I'm hopeful that there will be more veggie burgers and vegan cookies in their future. But either way, they could have made my life very difficult that year and they didn't. And I will always appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I misread "Stews and/or Bourguignons" as "Stews and the Bourgeoisie", which could have been a very interesting thread.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Where is the best eggplant parm recipe? I've tried a bunch of different ones, but I've never made it frequently enough to have a go-to. I like the one in "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian," but that one uses egg. I have lots of the cookbooks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't wanna go to work today! It's a super sunny Saturday, which means everyone will need flats fixed, minor repairs, and major repairs that they will try to convince us are minor so they can jump ahead in the service schedule. Also, probably people will want to test ride 1 million bikes. Usually this is fun. But I want to sleep in and do personal projects.

Also, I hate fixing flats. Everyone with a bike should learn to do it themselves. I will even teach them. Just don't make me do it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

My boyfriend is a bike mechanic and is feeling the exact same way as you right now. I hope both your days go swiftly with a minimum amount of annoyance!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:26 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

It's funny, too, because as someone who is pretty scared to really touch/mess with anything on my bike due to mechanical ignorance, I love fixing a flat because it's the one thing I feel competent enough to do! I feel all bad-ass and accomplished afterwards. Peoples should definitely learn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I will never be able to dye my hair that beautiful coppery red that I admire. Today's dye job at least looks more natural than the last but it's still darker and doesn't really look much different.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I need to go to the store to get tofu and some cards and stuff to make pickles, but I just want to lie down and read. I'm so tired today, and have no idea why! Also, there's a super fun looking craft beer festival going on and my boyfriend's restaurant is vending, but I can't go because I never bought a ticket. Which was dumb, because it's just exactly the sort of thing I like doing...drinking beer, listening to music, and eating food. Drat.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I almost burned my building down! Well, not so much - nothing was on fire, but it was smokey as hell. I put on a pot of beans and forgot about them. The worst part isn't the smell or the burnt beans (though I'm sad about the beans because they were delicious chickpeas that would've covered 5-6 meals), but I might have destroyed my bean/soup pan. In fairness, I need to replace it because it has plastic handles (plastic handles + gas hob isn't a great combo), but I don't really have the money for that. Also, I don't really have the money to buy a bunch of tins of chickpeas because the only decent tinned ones are the expensive organic kind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

paperweight wrote:
This family showed me so much more respect and demonstrated considerably more open-mindedness about veganism than the "hunting is barbaric, so I'll buy my meat at the store" people I usually spend my time with.

That's great! I hope you are doing well... haven't seen much of you around here :)

I'm hungover today. I know it's my own fault, but I just want to eat and I'm pretty sure that won't end well. I'm banning alcohol for like a week or something!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:35 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm so confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

why confused!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Gorgeous improvisation on the theme of Amélie:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:56 am 
WRETCHED

I'm secretly obsessed with steampunk style clothing but other than online, I've never seen anyone dress like that. It seems fun. Do people dress like that regularly or just together? Then I liked a steampunk page on Facebook and they were showing a steampunk cruise which sounds like tons of fun... or not. Not that I'd go because well I'm not that obsessed and also, if I was crazy enough to go then realized on day 1 it wasn't for me, then you'd be stuck on a ship for 6 more days with people. But part of me wonders if it is something like nerds of a different type. I wish I knew. I am still researching.

My husband on the other hand thinks my newfound obsession is interesting but he also thinks I'm a bit odd. He also told me that he thinks it is something linked somehow to goth which is something I never fully understood either as I think I just missed the goth types as I graduated high school in early 90s and college in late 90s. Or maybe they weren't big in California.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:11 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My boyfriend thinks he's entitled to one gardein cheese sausage biscuit thing out of every box I buy. But there's only two in a box. Today is the day I eat them both before he wakes up and as soon as he's awake I'm going to tell him and ask if he wants to scrap.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I had a friend in college who was a goth/steampunk. she wore goggles on her head everyday and it looked pretty cool! I like steampunk, but I don't think people generally just dress like that. It would be totally appropriate at any sort of nerd convention or a ren faire. Maybe there just werent too many goths in your high school or college. I think the entire 90s was when it was happening (and I'm pretty sure there will always be goth kids. I think it's eternal.) My goth phase was around 95/96ish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 am 
WRETCHED

Fee, maybe you need a lock on your biscuit box.

IJDI - maybe! We had no goth kids at our high school, I knew 1 goth kid in my second college (UCI) but he was friends of a friend of mine, and I never saw any other goth kids in school. He was also a year younger and from out of state? I just think the clothes are so fascinating with steampunk. I totally want a victorian dress except it seems so hot, maybe a winter thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:
I'm secretly obsessed with steampunk style clothing but other than online, I've never seen anyone dress like that. It seems fun. Do people dress like that regularly or just together? Then I liked a steampunk page on Facebook and they were showing a steampunk cruise which sounds like tons of fun... or not. Not that I'd go because well I'm not that obsessed and also, if I was crazy enough to go then realized on day 1 it wasn't for me, then you'd be stuck on a ship for 6 more days with people. But part of me wonders if it is something like nerds of a different type. I wish I knew. I am still researching.

My husband on the other hand thinks my newfound obsession is interesting but he also thinks I'm a bit older . He also told me that he thinks it is something linked somehow to goth which is something I never fully understood either as I think I just missed the goth types as I graduated high school in early 90s and college in late 90s. Or maybe they weren't big in California.

There is a steampunk meetup in NYC. They had bookclub (why I joined) and events where people dressed up. Maybe there's something like that near you?

I just got unreasonably angry at a woman's tee shirt. It was for a hotel in Manhattan that's super trendy. I lived there in the 00's and it was dirt cheap ($567 for a decent sized studio!) but I lost a fight to keep it (I wasn't the renter). I am so sick of how expensive NYC is in pretty much every neighborhood in Manhattan. I would like to move back but I don't think I can afford to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mars wrote:
Is it bad that other than how the PPK uses it, I don't even know what stroganoff is?

What does stroganoff mean in PPK?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:

My husband on the other hand thinks my newfound obsession is interesting but he also thinks I'm a bit older . He also told me that he thinks it is something linked somehow to goth which is something I never fully understood either as I think I just missed the goth types as I graduated high school in early 90s and college in late 90s. Or maybe they weren't big in California.

There is a steampunk meetup in NYC. They had bookclub (why I joined) and events where people dressed up. Maybe there's something like that near you?

I just got unreasonably angry at a woman's tee shirt. It was for a hotel in Manhattan that's super trendy. I lived there in the 00's and it was dirt cheap ($567 for a decent sized studio!) but I lost a fight to keep it (I wasn't the renter). I am so sick of how expensive NYC is in pretty much every neighborhood in Manhattan. I would like to move back but I don't think I can afford to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 am 
WELFARIST!

sweet_potato wrote:
Mars wrote:
Is it bad that other than how the PPK uses it, I don't even know what stroganoff is?

What does stroganoff mean in PPK?

Sweet potato: Master Bates.

Mars: As a food dish, stroganoff is a flat noodly concoction, usually with a creamy sauce typically flavored by mushrooms, thyme, wine and usually sauteed strips of protein. There are many variations on this dish but that's the basic recipe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1531, 1532, 1533, 1534, 1535, 1536, 1537 ... 1860  Next