| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1540, 1541, 1542, 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546 ... 1825  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:59 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah I don't really understand that brunch thing description, but assuming its a group of people getting together for brunch and veganism has nothing to do with it, I don't think you have much of an argument.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:53 pm 
A Bad Person

bodhi wrote:
jean wrote:
I'm watching Star Trek TNG for the first time, on Netflix, and I love it! So what if I'm only 20 years later than everyone else - I'm hooked.

Perhaps this belongs on the confession thread, but we've been watching Hawaii 5 0 -the original every night while we eat dinner - and it's our favourite show!

I just watched Star Trek TNG for the first time about three months ago. I didn't know Star Trek was actually awesome. I thought it sounded kind of lame, but I love it too!
jean wrote:
I'm watching Star Trek TNG for the first time, on Netflix, and I love it! So what if I'm only 20 years later than everyone else - I'm hooked.

Perhaps this belongs on the confession thread, but we've been watching Hawaii 5 0 -the original every night while we eat dinner - and it's our favourite show!

As a long time Trekkie, I love hearing about people discovering how awesome Star Trek is because of Netflix! TNG is by far my favorite series, but Deep Space 9 is also excellent. And if I'm rating them, here we go!

TNG > DS9 > The Original Series > Enterprise > Voyager

But I wouldn't skip watching any of them. Even Voyager. I love Star Trek. We're overdue for a new series.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:03 pm 
Semen Strong

VeganinBerlin, I am so happy you're getting IRL support to help you navigate this! I think its really wise to be able know that you can't change him or be his therapist, but that you can draw healthy boundaries for yourself to keep yourself safe.

I just wanted to say, that I hear you saying that its not his fault, that your reactions are more than they should be because of your history, and just wanted to say that in a relationship, a kind partner looks at what you specifically are dealing with and supports you through it, even if it isn't something they can necessarily understand. And again, not to blame him, but just to say that you're not responsible for his treatment of you, because you are oversensitive, if that makes sense.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

brian wrote:
As a long time Trekkie, I love hearing about people discovering how awesome Star Trek is because of Netflix!

I will admit to having been a long time lover of the original series - we watched it as kids in the late 70s. But trying to re-watch it now as an adult - well, the thrill is gone. It's been really enjoyable getting into TNG - good to get my Star Trek fix once again. Brian, you've encouraged me to check out the other series as well. From what little I know about Gene Rodenberry (sp?) TNG strikes me as more in line with his vision for the original series, and perhaps television of the day wasn't ready for something so progressive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My friend's grandmother's wake was today, and I almost forgot because I am a terrible person! Or a forgetful person. Either one. I only remembered because I was on facebook and saw the obituary she had posted. The wake ended at 9, and I saw the obit at 8:30. Whoops. I did get there with about 5 minutes to spare. I would have felt so bad if I hadn't made it!

Open casket wakes always feel slightly surreal to me. I keep thinking about how we're all in a room with a dead body on full view, and everyone is just standing around and making small talk. I got boxed in (no pun intended!) next to the casket, and my friend was telling a funny story about her grandmother. I started laughing, and then I glanced to the right, and her grandmother's body was right there. It's such a weird feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yeah, that would be weird. Nice of you to make it there for your friend though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:36 am 
Nailed to the V

jordanpattern wrote:
Are you hosting the brunch? In that case, I'd just say, "hey, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer about this, but I have a vegan household, so it would be great if you could bring a vegan dish. Thanks!"

If you're not the host, is there a reason everyone else's contributions should be vegan? Is the host vegan? Is it a vegan event? If not, then I think it's not super reasonable to expect everyone to bring vegan stuff to a non-vegan event hosted by a non-vegan simply because you're making a vegan dish.

since when am I supposed to be reasonable? :P

As I said I dont expect people not to eat meat in my presence, the point is that scrambled eggs is similar to scrambled tofu: so I took it like "ok you're cute but I'll bring REAL eggs"...

So I told them that was kind of the same stuff (obviously they just don't know what scrambled tofu is) and that I'd take it bad and they understood. :)

Now all the pressure is on me to make the best scrambled tofu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ah, if it's scrambled eggs they were bringing that's totally understandable you would be peeved. Glad you managed to get it sorted with them though. Otherwise if they'd insisted (or if they change their minds) maybe you could do something like pancakes instead?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Emilie wrote:
urgent help needed:

I go to a brunch thing tomorrow and I offered to make scrambled tofu (aim is to show how to make it; for the records we were supposed to have a cuisine workshop that was cancelled, so I suggested that)

I just saw that another person offers to bring eggs and bacon.

HOW could I diplomatically dissuade her (without being the extremist that doesnt want others to eat meat in her presence - but making clear that it would be disrespectful for my own contribution and initiative)

Might be a bit late now, but are any of the guests keeping hallal or kosher? Bacon is not a very inclusive food and not the best to bring to a potluck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:39 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

rachell37 wrote:
linanil wrote:
Ugh, why are tickets to Europe so expensive? I am feeling the travel bug lately

If you come to Edinburgh, at least you won't have to worry about paying for a place to stay!

This goes for Brighton too! Come visit!

NDP I'm suuuuper excited for you guys!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a set of keys on my key ring and I have NO idea what they're to. It makes me worried I've completely forgotten some client.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 am 
Chard Martyr

blondiefk wrote:
I have a set of keys on my key ring and I have NO idea what they're to. It makes me worried I've completely forgotten some client.

I always seem to have at least two keys that I swear I have never once used. I think I fail to hand in extra keys when I leave a job or move, but still, the fact that they are so unfamiliar makes me think something spooky (and possibly exciting...what can I find?!) is going on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Figured out the keys! It was really bothering me.

I just got a call from a friend of mine who has been in prison. He said he's been writing to me but I didn't get any of the letters. He sent them to my old address but they should have been forwarded. It's weird and it's making me question if my SO kept them from me.

Eta-I really don't think that is the case though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My neighbor is SO LOUD and I don't know what to do about it. He blasts his music and tv so loud it drowns out my own music. And he'll go outside in the middle of the night and scream at his dog (not in a bad way... just lots of loud encouragement to take a shiitake). Sometimes he'll go outside and start singing. He's a nice old guy and I like him, but I hate living next door to him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We went to a Tom Waits Day thing at the pub over the road. It was supposed to be live music, but none of the live musicians turned up by the time we left, so (luckily) we just got to listen to Tom Waits albums and drink Waits-themed rum-based beverages. The Rain Dog (Sailor Jerry, lime, simple syrup) was pretty good, but the 4 of us all decided that the best drink was the Christmas Card from a Hooker (Sailor Jerry, Triple Sec, cherry, lime, something else I can't remember). I was worried that it would suck, but it was pretty good. And we basically had the entire back room to ourselves because no one else seemed to want to share the room with us (people kept poking their heads in and leaving, even though there was loads of space). It was a good day, and I'm just starting to sober up. Woo!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:15 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

This is stupid, but I have a driving lesson next week, and the instructor is going to take me to an estate...only trouble is I have a weird phobia about the town the estate is in (for reasons that don't matter) and I am so stressed out :( I don't want to go there! :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ashley wrote:
And he'll go outside in the middle of the night and scream at his dog (not in a bad way... just lots of loud encouragement to take a shiitake). .

I am having way too much fun imagining what this entails, exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:04 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Moon wrote:
ashley wrote:
And he'll go outside in the middle of the night and scream at his dog (not in a bad way... just lots of loud encouragement to take a shiitake). .

I am having way too much fun imagining what this entails, exactly.

You mean you don't have your own shiitake coach? No-one should poop without one!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh boy, what a day. Biker boy's friend who was renting the house went home to CO this morning so today would have been the day bb moved back home. Instead Project Temporary Cohabitation is officially over but only because it's permanent now. I mean, who knew when he moved in with me for the summer that held never end up spending another night at his house?! We're about a quarter of the way packed up over here, lots of stuff has gone to the dump and he's on his way to a friend's house with his old dining set while I sort through the kitchen and decide what comes over to my place. He tries not to let on but I think he's pretty emotionally fried right now. Lots of changes!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:28 pm 

Interesting times, monkeytoes! I hope the move goes smoothly and that he manages to get someone who can take care of themselves to buy the place (you said previously that he's selling it, right?).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 pm 

My current avatar makes me much hungrier than the previous ones. Many a time I catch sight of it and remember how tasty that batch of scones was.

Hmmm. I've been racking my brains for a MoFo theme, maybe it could be scones and their many types and variations!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jean wrote:

YESSSS!!! I watched all of Star Trek (all 5 series and all the movies) last year. SO forking GOOD.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Considering messaging an old friend/crush/fling person I haven't talked to in a few years to hang out.... My bestie moved five hours away a few weeks ago and I'm getting a bit lonely. But I feel like this may be a bad idea... Ugh, WHAT SHOULD I DO PPK?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Simply_Love wrote:
Considering messaging an old friend/crush/fling person I haven't talked to in a few years to hang out.... My bestie moved five hours away a few weeks ago and I'm getting a bit lonely. But I feel like this may be a bad idea... Ugh, WHAT SHOULD I DO PPK?

And just when I had thought I'd decided not to, I was like what the hell and sent it anyway. I should not be allowed on Facebook when I am tired and lonely haha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 am 

There was torrential rain and horrendous flooding where I live yesterday. Luckily my road was not too badly affected, but the building where my flatmate has his workspace was completely flooded. We are off there now to start the clean up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1540, 1541, 1542, 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546 ... 1825  Next