| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1542, 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548 ... 1851  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have a Master's degree and I get paid shiitake (not in my field), and occasionally report to a 20-year-old. I don't really care, because we're all working, and status and hierarchy are total bullshiitake anyway. It's about the quality of the work we do in relation to our work ethics. I mean, I can and have written a novel, but I'll do that with as much gusto as cleaning a toilet at the cidery. Work is work. I think that when I am able to counsel a friend, be there for a family member in a time of illness, make a delicious dinner, or even freaking clean my cat's litterbox, I have achieved just as much as the most challenging stuff I've ever faced at any job. Pay structures are so forked and most people take themselves far too seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

blondiefk wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
I was just at the shelter to pick up a kitten (I was there when he was surrendered and promised a crying little girl I'd make sure he got out) and they couldn't find him. I walked though the whole shelter with the rescue coordinator and he was nowhere. He told me sometimes volunteers take kittens. I hope that's what happened..

They found him! He's in foster through the shelter until he's old enough to go to adoptions. Which could be good or bad, depending if he gets adopted or not. I wish they had just let us take him then he'd be safe for sure.

Yay for the lil boo being found!

vijita wrote:
I have a Master's degree and I get paid shiitake (not in my field), and occasionally report to a 20-year-old. I don't really care, because we're all working, and status and hierarchy are total bullshiitake anyway. It's about the quality of the work we do in relation to our work ethics. I mean, I can and have written a novel, but I'll do that with as much gusto as cleaning a toilet at the cidery. Work is work. I think that when I am able to counsel a friend, be there for a family member in a time of illness, make a delicious dinner, or even freaking clean my cat's litterbox, I have achieved just as much as the most challenging stuff I've ever faced at any job. Pay structures are so forked and most people take themselves far too seriously.

Sing it sister! I don't have a master's degree but my work ethic is always there, no matter what I do, be it cleaning, cooking, working at my paid transcription/editing work or my own creative writing, and whatever I'm doing at any given moment gets my best effort.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 pm 
WRETCHED

creep wrote:
I guess I should clarify that I do agree that what I said was rude! I've done her exact job though, and the pay for what I did then vs. what I do now is totally appropriate.

Yeah your initial post didn't make that clear. And I agree, she shouldn't have brought up pay as a reason for you to do more work. If you aren't doing work when you aren't getting paid for it, then that isn't fair but also shouldn't be an issue between the two of you, it should be an issue between her and her management and you and your management.

And regarding not pissing off someone in her position, I've been friends with many receptionists/admin assistants and if they feel they aren't valued, they have a way of making you show that they are valuable. If this person is taking appointments, answering phones, greeting your clients, taking payment from your client, ordering supplies, etc, etc, that doesn't sound like someone you want to start working against you. Also, watch the movie 9 to 5 if you want examples (kind of, not really, but kind of :) )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:32 pm 
Impressive boner

I have my first official sports competition next Sunday. I am already getting flashes of nervousness over it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:40 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

choirqueer wrote:
I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants.

this story and every story, my friend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Creep, why does everyone know how much you make? I think that money issues can be so rough. I once worked at a German law firm, where everyone else was paid German scale and I was paid US scale, which was much higher. And once that got around, people didn't like that at all.

I think you need to take up the division of tasks with your management - she can't just foist stuff she doesn't want to do on you, and if you're doing it, then you should be being paid for it as well. And definitely apologize and bring in cookies or something to re-establish good will!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Creep, why does everyone know how much you make? I think that money issues can be so rough. I once worked at a German law firm, where everyone else was paid German scale and I was paid US scale, which was much higher. And once that got around, people didn't like that at all.

I think you need to take up the division of tasks with your management - she can't just foist stuff she doesn't want to do on you, and if you're doing it, then you should be being paid for it as well. And definitely apologize and bring in cookies or something to re-establish good will!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:

They all know that I make 50% commission, which is the industry standard, so if they know how much I'm charging for grooms, they can figure it out pretty easily. I did complain on a slow week that "I only made $200 this week!" but I generally don't go around talking about it. One of the managers (she's only 23 and not super mature) has said in front of other employees that I make more money than she does. It actually may have been when I was complaining about that slow week.

I definitely don't believe that the work the other employees do is less valuable, but generally, these are college kids working part-time while they're in school, or just temporarily until they find something else. While I don't necessarily want to groom forever, it is more of a career path, and it requires a skill, so I just don't understand why there's any resentment over the difference in pay or why it was even brought up to begin with.

I've done the cleaning she asked me to do for two days now. So far I've managed to do it early enough in the day that I'm only cleaning up after myself when I'm done bathing dogs, so she'll still be responsible for any mess that's made on that side of the room after the daycare dogs are bathed. I'm okay with this scenario as long as I'm able to keep it up. My only problem is that if I wait until right before I leave, when I clean up my own space, then I'm cleaning up after everyone else as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:23 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Quote:
When "I" is replaced with "we" even "illness" becomes "wellness"

This sentiment makes me stabby. So much bullshiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mollyjade wrote:
Quote:

That makes me want to throw my laptop across the room.

So much going on in my head after a way too dramatic and emotionally draining night and I can't even say it here because even though it happened on my personal time it is tied in with work. Definitely a case of being in the right place at the right time but I wish so bad that I had been in the right place at the right time to save my aunt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My wee nephew's 1st birthday is Sunday, and I just bought him a bunch of awesome books. I realised when I was telling my sister about them that 3 of the 4 things I bought were things she loved when she was little. I also bought him a counting book based on Dracula because it's cool. I'm the best aunt and sister!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made socca tonight for the time. It was so flippin easy and so delicious! I guess I'll be making this all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

mollyjade wrote:
Quote:

hahaha. That's great. My health woes have only been a matter of changing some letters around. What was I thinking? Or should I say, what was we thinking?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm watching Jon Richardson's "A little bit of OCD" and it really affects me. I think I've never taken my OCD very seriously, also because it's ever-changing for me. When I was very eating disordered my whole OCD was in there, now it's affecting me less but it's all over the place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:21 am 
Ninja Master

I work with a right pair of miserable boots. The faces on them this morning! I know it's kinda like Monday morning as yesterday was bank holiday but jeez.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 am 
And you never will.

I'm finally watching Torchwood (I know) and I am so disappointed in the PPK for not telling me about the kiss/fight scene between John Barrowman and James Marsters in S2. If I had known I could watch Captain Jack and Spike making out I would have watched sooner!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:32 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

poopiebitch wrote:
I'm finally watching Torchwood (I know) and I am so disappointed in the PPK for not telling me about the kiss/fight scene between John Barrowman and James Marsters in S2. If I had known I could watch Captain Jack and Spike making out I would have watched sooner!

Haha! Yes! A friend of mine posted that online before I knew about Torchwood and it's what made me want to watch it.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ugh, passive aggressive people. would i really tell someone "i think you're useless because you don't have children?" i am so angry and yet trying really hard to not engage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Overall, I really did not like torchwood. Jack & Spike smooching was the only thing that kept me hanging on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 am 
WRETCHED

I watched one episode of Torchwood wand really didn't feel it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I'm sure I've said this before, but Torchwood just felt like Dr Who After Dark - same silliness with adult themes and a lot of gratuitous sex. Or at least, that's what the first season felt like. I didn't really pay much attention to it after that.

A situation at work is making me stabby. Serenity now!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

choirqueer wrote:
I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants.

Absolutely! I'm glad you found your ID and bank card. I would have been panic stricken if I thought I lost those.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am 
And you never will.

Yeah, honestly, I'm not loving Torchwood. I had previously seen the Children of Earth episodes (series 3) which I quite liked, but I'm pretty disappointed with the first two series so far. James Marsters smooches make up for it though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I've been having some health issues recently and I've been having tests and stuff for the last 6 weeks or so. Today I finally got an answer and it turns out I have crazy low ferritin, like so low the doctor said he didn't understand how I was even managing to get outa bed! I'm super relieved that it's not coeliac and I cannot wait to start feeling better!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:27 am 
And you never will.

I'm sorry you've been feeling so bad jojo, but I'm very glad they were able to find out what's going on and that you can now be on your way to getting better!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1542, 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548 ... 1851  Next