| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548, 1549, 1550, 1551 ... 1891  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:41 am 
Inflexitarian

blondiefk wrote:
The smoke alarm keeps beeping at random intervals, waking me up. I've already been awake and hour. I tried to pull it down to take out the battery but even with a stepstool I'm too short to reach it. It's finally stopped. I think it was telling me it needs a new battery?

You have great patience ... I would have hit it with a broom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

teacup wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
The smoke alarm keeps beeping at random intervals, waking me up. I've already been awake and hour. I tried to pull it down to take out the battery but even with a stepstool I'm too short to reach it. It's finally stopped. I think it was telling me it needs a new battery?

You have great patience ... I would have hit it with a broom.

I thought about it but it's not my apartment - I'm cat sitting. I don't want to draw attention to this apartment because the owner is over the pet limit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:25 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

aelle wrote:

Awesome news of the day: my little sister went veg! We spent 1:30 hour last night on Skype swapping recipes.

Aelle, that's fantastic! Did you have any clue she might be interested, or was this out of nowhere?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Well, I'd like to believe that the cooking I did when I lived with my family helped break some misconceptions about plant based food (mostly, that it's delicious and satisfying, and that you can serve it to loved ones without shame!) and even though I moved out years ago I think everyone in my family has been eating less meat since I went vegan. The real trigger is that my sister got interested in social justice recently, met her own vegan friends and found her own reasons to do the switch.

I'm really psyched - I've never been pushy about my veganism and it's so awesome to see again and again that cupcake activism opens minds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:53 am 
Chip Strong

aelle wrote:
it's so awesome to see again and again that cupcake activism opens minds.

Cupcakes save lives, man. Animal lives.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You know how in Scooby Doo, whenever Velma looses her glasses, she crawls all over the floor and exclaims: "My glasses! I can't see anything without my glasses!"? Well, that is me right now. I apparently took them off when i was dying a few of mt dreadies, but i seriously can't find them anywhere.
Okay, so as i was typing this, i realized maybe they never left my face. Maybe they are still on my head, stuffed into the plastic grocery bag i tied there to keep hair dye from getting on things. And i was right.
Being able to see things is great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've decided Comcast gets some brownie points for giving me the discount they said they could on my current plan even though I said I'd call back and switch or cancel the service later. That was a nice surprise to here everything had been taken care of when I called today.

Now, if only I could actually get through to change my address...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:34 pm 

Okay, Comcast loses all said brownie points. Waited on hold for 10 minutes for the moving people, and they can't even do what I needed (suspend services for the week in between my old place and new), but said the main customer services can...but I didn't hear any options on the main customer service line that fit... so now I've been transferred back and still don't know what extension I need. And just getting to the options again on the main customer service line involved another ten minutes of waiting.... blah.

I give up, I'll try again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Comcast is the worst. We downgraded to just internet... and within 48 hours lost internet for a day and a half.

They don't have an easy way to get any services tended to. And when we moved they kept screwing up the service.

I hope you can get it sorted.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:20 pm 

Thanks! I wanted to downgrade to just internet, but unless we wanted 6mb/s, we weren't going to get anything cheaper (we have just basic cable with internet right now). Right now we have 25 (which supposedly was upgraded to 50) and it freaking sucks and is just dragging, so I'm afraid to go that low!

Also, finally got a hold of our leasing company to get our unit number, and now I'm really confused. We had to go up a flight (at least, I thought we went up more) and apparently our unit number is 6... that sounds like it's on the ground floor? Their weren't any apartments on the entry floor because of the parking garage, so being unit 6 could be fine because of that....but now I'm freaking out that we accidentally signed for the wrong apartment. We only saw two apartments in that building, and this was the more expensive of the two (the other one had clearly meant to be a studio originally and was now a two bedroom.... don't care how much I'd save, so not living in a closet), so it's probably fine and I'm just getting this building mixed up in my head between the other ones I looked at. But GAH, what if I get there and it's totally different than we wanted?!?!?! Really looking forward to qualifying for apartments that aren't geared towards students where I'm not signing the lease four months before I move in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:09 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

@EliTerry: I just met you / and this is crazy / but here in Ukraine / we just got this song / it good! / wolf ate my wife

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:16 am 
WELFARIST!

T got me a kitchenaid stand mixer for my birthday. I can't even compute that right now. I've wanted one for SO LONG. And all I can think about making is the challah from the sandwich book because it says in the directions that you can only make it in a stand mixer. Challenge accepted!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow, ap, that's pretty awesome.

Mike and I got up just after 11am. We didn't eat breakfast because we were supposed to have lunch with his dad some time in the afternoon, and usually when his dad says afternoon, it means 5 minutes to noon. So we didn't eat breakfast. Around 2, Mike called his dad to see when we were going for lunch, and it turned out we were meeting for dinner. D'oh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:41 am 
WELFARIST!

rachell37 wrote:
Wow, ap, that's pretty awesome.

Mike and I got up just after 11am. We didn't eat breakfast because we were supposed to have lunch with his dad some time in the afternoon, and usually when his dad says afternoon, it means 5 minutes to noon. So we didn't eat breakfast. Around 2, Mike called his dad to see when we were going for lunch, and it turned out we were meeting for dinner. D'oh.

I would not have lasted that long without at least one snack!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am so lucky. I left my keys in my front door (that opens directly on to the street) last night and they were still there this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just got asked where I get my protein in Portuguese, and managed to answer successfully in the same language, without needing to use a dictionary, talking with people who don't speak any English! I feel really pleased that I managed it, as there's no way I could have done before I came to Brazil.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

twice this week people have tried to give me their seat on the subway. all my fat goes to my stomach. that's just the way my body is, but i really don't think i look THAT pregnant. one of these days i swear I'm going to tell someone "no thanks. not pregnant. just got a fat stomach." i try to be ok with the way i look, but i'm pretty sick of being offered a seat. and this is NYC where people do not just offer seats to women or anything. I don't have a limp or a cane, so the only option is that they think i'm preggers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:09 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

that's so silly. you must have been on the two trains in nyc carrying people who've never actually seen a pregnant woman or something. i actually bought some maternity dresses at a thrift store this summer because they were cheap and in good shape and i like the look of a high waist, and i worried for about four seconds that people might think i really was pregnant, but then i figured i could just tell them not to worry because it was only a food baby, and if it was a girl i was going to name it candy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ha! It happens to me all the time! And then ofcourse whenever I'm standing on a train with an actual pregnant woman no one gives her a seat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:04 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I'm going to a vegan potluck (here, in Tijuana what the fizzle). I hope things don't get bad enough for me to go all vegan police-y and annoy everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:06 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

acr wrote:
that's so silly. you must have been on the two trains in nyc carrying people who've never actually seen a pregnant woman or something. i actually bought some maternity dresses at a thrift store this summer because they were cheap and in good shape and i like the look of a high waist, and i worried for about four seconds that people might think i really was pregnant, but then i figured i could just tell them not to worry because it was only a food baby, and if it was a girl i was going to name it candy.

This made me laugh out loud.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:39 pm 
Hip Goiter

Haha acr I love that response of saying it's a food baby! I usually just get insanely flustered and embarrassed, which is LAME. I love sassy answers.

I am woefully unprepared for mofo! I have a plan for every single day, but I didn't actually get around to doing any of the planning. Oops! It'll be interesting.

I have the first wedding of my fall wedding season tomorrow. I have so many it's ridiculous. Tomorrow's is the one where there will be no food for me. Fun times.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:48 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The pumpkin beer I just bought (Elysian Dark O the Moon) is so sad. I don't like it, but I spent too much money on it to not drink it.

Grawr.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:48 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

ndpittman wrote:
acr wrote:

This made me laugh out loud.

You could name it Stu!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Something involving heavy machinery is going on outside. It woke me up, just after 7am. I worked yesterday so today is my only weekend day, was hoping to sleep in, but apparently not.

Better get on with my first MoFo entry then!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548, 1549, 1550, 1551 ... 1891  Next