Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Space to post things that do not go with any other topic...
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155
Page 1556 of 2108

Author:  linanil [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

jordanpattern wrote:
jogirl wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I really should learn that being a do-gooder never works out well when it comes to my crazy family!!! Had a chat with my uncle in law last night about how manipulative she and my other aunt are. Going to nab her psychiatrist at work during the week and beg her to refer her to the social worker and occupational therapist. She is due to see her in a weeks time but I'm hoping to lay down the plans with her beforehand because I don't want to risk her sabotaging the appointment like she has with the past ones.

Okay, I was hesitating about posting this, but here goes. I agree with paperweight that the situation sounds dreadful, but... surely your aunt's relationship with her psychiatrist should be confidential and nothing to do with you? If you didn't work there you would have no contact, and it sounds a little bit manipulative to me. I get that you have her best interests at heart, and please forgive me if this is none of my business ( which it really isn't), but it just sounds a warning note with me.


I completely agree.


It is my understanding that daisychain has taken over medical care for her aunt and is even be paid for it, albeit underpaid. I think it is good to check if the conversation is appropriate but it may be due to the home care position she has taken with her aunt.

Author:  rachell37 [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

I'm so freaking tired. It's almost 2.30pm and I *still* feel like I'm only half awake. Stoopid medication.

Author:  allularpunk [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

I had a really good Sunday. I got all Steelers-ed up and T and I went to brunch and there was lots of yummy lovin' before and after and then we met his friends at a bar to watch the first half of the games. They were super hung over (there was a home game Saturday and we STOMPED our competition, so lots of celebrating was going on the night before) and ended up leaving, so we just got some frozen pizza and wine and went home to finish it. We lost, so in order to make ourselves feel better, we watched Office Space (arguably the funniest movie ever) and then played music and danced in the living room. It was right nice.

Author:  Simply_Love [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

Reasons I hate Comcast even more now:

1) Apparently you get charged a fee for changing your service address. I feel like after how much they are already ripping everyone off this is bull crepe

2) They have double charged me for two over lapping weeks between my old payment schedule and my apparent new one. Now I get to spend all morning trying to deal with this. Yay

Author:  strawberryrock [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

Mars wrote:
I've decided that to fulfill all my wants and dreams I need to become a singer in a country band. Problem is I have no idea how to even remotely make that happen.


Post an ad on Craigslist. There are so many people looking for bandmates here.

Author:  ndpittman [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

Mars wrote:
I've decided that to fulfill all my wants and dreams I need to become a singer in a country band. Problem is I have no idea how to even remotely make that happen.


Make a Youtube video of you singing Coal Miner's Daughter that goes viral? Or something like that. I don't know why that's the first song that came to my head, but it was. I think I like the juxtaposition of a hip, handsome dude singing that song.

Author:  8ball [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

Spikey-blob has some sort of kidney problem, possibly a stone or infection. He's on painkillers and antibiotics and will have a checkup on Saturday. I hope he recovers well as kidney failure seems the likely cause of Vlad's death last month.

Author:  blondiefk [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

acr wrote:
i was just the only person at a free rooftop screening of the dark crystal. THE ONLY PERSON. as fun as it was to have my own private rooftop theater for a night, i am seriously disappointed in brooklyn right now.



I wish I had known about this!

Author:  allularpunk [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

I just splurged and went to the grocery store. By 'splurge', I mean that I got 2 lemons, an avocado, an onion, 4 bananas, toilet paper, and 2 rolls of paper towels (for cleaning up cat pee, fun!). I only spent $9, but it still makes me queasy. Hate having budget issues...is it October yet? Sheesh.

Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to make some bread. Mmmmm. Bread.

Author:  daisychain [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

linanil wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Okay, I was hesitating about posting this, but here goes. I agree with paperweight that the situation sounds dreadful, but... surely your aunt's relationship with her psychiatrist should be confidential and nothing to do with you? If you didn't work there you would have no contact, and it sounds a little bit manipulative to me. I get that you have her best interests at heart, and please forgive me if this is none of my business ( which it really isn't), but it just sounds a warning note with me.


I completely agree.


It is my understanding that daisychain has taken over medical care for her aunt and is even be paid for it, albeit underpaid. I think it is good to check if the conversation is appropriate but it may be due to the home care position she has taken with her aunt.



Thanks for the input jogirl. As it is if I don't take her to medical appointments she won't go or wouldn't even know when they are. She doesn't even go collect her prescriptions or medication when she is supposed to. I checked with her GP and her pharmacy when I was trying to sort out her new prescriptions and she hadn't been exactly consistent in collecting them so has been going long spells without medication or at the wrong dose because of not taking letters to her GP. She has even been taking the wrong meds at the wrong time. She can't manage even the simpliest of tasks at home....... she flooded my bathroom and water poured into my kitchen, she leaves the house unattended for hours at a time with doors and windows wide open, broke my house alarm, completely delusional 90% of the time which is completely resistant to rationalisation. If anything goes even slightly haywire with her I get my other aunt telling me off for not doing enough and that everything is all my fault and then she fires up my cousins too. Literally out of all my family members only one of them would back me up and he isn't even blood related so his opinion would be shot down by them too. If I meet with the consultant at the appointment my aunt will get completely paranoid and then deny there are problems where there are problems then in the same breath turn around and demand I solve the problems.

It's hard to explain because the family dynamics are so damn complicated then coupled with the fact that she does have no insight to the fact she is experiencing a mental illness. It's just too much for me to be trying to get a handle on after working a full day with people with mental illness while trying to keep my own mental health in check.

Oh... forgot to add.... I will only be really giving collateral to the doctor, not seeking information from her. Therefore no confidentiality issues.

Author:  RandiJM [ Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

VAMOS!!!!

Anyone else screaming at the tv watching the Open finale? I hope it's a 5 setter pleeeease be a 5 setter.

Author:  Anek [ Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

Lunch today with a colleague I like and need to keep a good relationship with:
Me: so how was your holiday, did you do something fun?
She: I made a hunting licence, it was so interesting and the animals and blah blah blah
Me: *keep munching on my tofu and say nothing*

Author:  allularpunk [ Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

If I can just make it through this week... Today I'm working 10-5, then have to meet up with cooking class lady to get all my groceries, which will take who knows how long, then laundry (hopefully if I'm not too tired). Tomorrow I'm working 10-5, then have to prep everything for my cooking class, including putting ALL of the kitchen things I will need into boxes to be carted out the next day because I won't have time on Thursday. Then Thursday I'm working 10-5, have to come home and grab the stuff I boxed up, get to the cooking class site, and be prepped by 6 to teach a cooking class from 6-8. I haven't had time or money to practice making any of the dishes I'm preparing for it (though I have made them all at least twice before). And I'll be teaching all week, which I'm finding to be more and more exhausting. Just...wishing for Friday right now.

Author:  blondiefk [ Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

So far today is a winner. I left my house keys in NYC and the SO is out so I can't go anywhere. The built in timer on our stove goes off nonstop so it has to be unplugged which means moving the stove away from the wall if I want to use it. I'm being harassed by the infusion company insisting I didn't pay for my antibiotics that were COD. And I can't find the receipt and service plan for my tablet. When I bought it the salesman said they would register it but of course that didn't happen. So I wasted the money on the plan and have a broken tablet.

Hopefully I'll get to go to TCBY though.

Author:  torque [ Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

on the phone with the IRS trying to figure out the last 3 years. oh joy.

Author:  bodhi [ Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

torque wrote:
on the phone with the IRS trying to figure out the last 3 years. oh joy.

Ack, US tax just sucks my soul right out. The IRS and I are not happy with each other right now - I've been out of the country for 6 years. I only recently found out that American expats still have to file taxes (although no other country requires non-residents to file). Bah! Good luck to you!

Author:  torque [ Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

i have to say, i always have good interactions with the IRS people (unlike social security, about whom i have nothing nice to say).
it is so easy, we are so completely exempt from a ridiculous amount, but actually filing always gets headachey. so it was more a call to "please help me figure this out" than the usual torture session.

Author:  lutin [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

So tired. So, so, so tired. I want to go to bed at 8pm every night, and can't because of mountains of stuff to do. I have a friend's wedding to go to on Friday night, and then my dude will be here all weekend, and I just want to curl up on the couch with a pot of tea and snooze while watching the storm.

Author:  teacup [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

I am so tired of walking down the pavement / sidewalk and encountering 2 or 3 people walking on the same pavement / sidewalk approaching me ... now back in Canada those approaching would form a line so allowing the on-coming person to continue walking ... do they do that here in England? They do not. Then come relentlessly on often causing me to step into the road ... argh! who raised these ill-manner hooligans?

Author:  allularpunk [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

teacup wrote:
I am so tired of walking down the pavement / sidewalk and encountering 2 or 3 people walking on the same pavement / sidewalk approaching me ... now back in Canada those approaching would form a line so allowing the on-coming person to continue walking ... do they do that here in England? They do not. Then come relentlessly on often causing me to step into the road ... argh! who raised these ill-manner hooligans?


This happens almost daily on my walk to work on campus. I usually stand my ground to try to make at least the one in my direct path move, but I am a stubborn mule. If my shoulder gets bumped, it's on.

Author:  ndpittman [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

allularpunk wrote:
teacup wrote:
I am so tired of walking down the pavement / sidewalk and encountering 2 or 3 people walking on the same pavement / sidewalk approaching me ... now back in Canada those approaching would form a line so allowing the on-coming person to continue walking ... do they do that here in England? They do not. Then come relentlessly on often causing me to step into the road ... argh! who raised these ill-manner hooligans?


This happens almost daily on my walk to work on campus. I usually stand my ground to try to make at least the one in my direct path move, but I am a stubborn mule. If my shoulder gets bumped, it's on.


I've been known to clip people if they do this during my run. This is one of my biggest pet peeves ever. It's ridiculous around the pond where I usually run, because it'll be two people, each with baby strollers that are gigantic, and one with a dog on a leash that is sniffing something on the other side of the path from where they're walking, so the leash is a trip line.

The only thing that gets me more riled up is an adult riding a bike on the sidewalk and ringing the bell.

Author:  monkeytoes [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

I use a multi-use trail for training a lot, usually riding it to and from the route I want to ride, then doing my transition run on it. When I'm riding I hate the runners/joggers/walkers because they insist on the two and three and four abreast thing and don't control their dogs. I call out my passes but most of them are wearing headphones and can't hear me. When I'm running I hate the cyclists because, even though I run alone and way over to the right, they'll pass so close that they almost touch me without calling out their passes (I am wearing a team cycling kit when I do brick runs so they have don't have the excuse of thinking I'm not going to know what "on your left" means!) I don't get what's so hard about trail etiquette.

Author:  jordanpattern [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

monkeytoes wrote:
I use a multi-use trail for training a lot, usually riding it to and from the route I want to ride, then doing my transition run on it. When I'm riding I hate the runners/joggers/walkers because they insist on the two and three and four abreast thing and don't control their dogs. I call out my passes but most of them are wearing headphones and can't hear me. When I'm running I hate the cyclists because, even though I run alone and way over to the right, they'll pass so close that they almost touch me without calling out their passes (I am wearing a team cycling kit when I do brick runs so they have don't have the excuse of thinking I'm not going to know what "on your left" means!) I don't get what's so hard about trail etiquette.


Pretty much this. I do see a way higher prevalence of walkers/joggers running 18 abreast than cyclists passing too close, but it certainly does happen. I use a very wide, gravel trail (like, as wide as a 2-lane road or wider) for training a lot. It goes uphill for 5 miles, and then you turn around and go back down. Going up isn't too bad, but coming back down is always terrifying, because joggers and walkers will be walking several abreast, often with strollers, up the wrong side of the path. Instead of being able to ride at a normal, reasonable speed for that type of trail, I have to slow waaaaaaaay down because I'm constantly having to swerve to avoid groups of clueless yoga pantsed folks on the wrong side of the trail. The worst is that some of them make tut tutting noises at me like I'm doing something wrong by simply being there. Yeesh.

Author:  monkeytoes [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

jordanpattern wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
I use a multi-use trail for training a lot, usually riding it to and from the route I want to ride, then doing my transition run on it. When I'm riding I hate the runners/joggers/walkers because they insist on the two and three and four abreast thing and don't control their dogs. I call out my passes but most of them are wearing headphones and can't hear me. When I'm running I hate the cyclists because, even though I run alone and way over to the right, they'll pass so close that they almost touch me without calling out their passes (I am wearing a team cycling kit when I do brick runs so they have don't have the excuse of thinking I'm not going to know what "on your left" means!) I don't get what's so hard about trail etiquette.


Pretty much this. I do see a way higher prevalence of walkers/joggers running 18 abreast than cyclists passing too close, but it certainly does happen. I use a very wide, gravel trail (like, as wide as a 2-lane road or wider) for training a lot. It goes uphill for 5 miles, and then you turn around and go back down. Going up isn't too bad, but coming back down is always terrifying, because joggers and walkers will be walking several abreast, often with strollers, up the wrong side of the path. Instead of being able to ride at a normal, reasonable speed for that type of trail, I have to slow waaaaaaaay down because I'm constantly having to swerve to avoid groups of clueless yoga pantsed folks on the wrong side of the trail. The worst is that some of them make tut tutting noises at me like I'm doing something wrong by simply being there. Yeesh.

Oh yeah, the people on foot are definitely worse than the cyclists overall, but man it's scary when a bike whizzes past you so close that if you reached up to adjust your sunglasses at the wrong moment, you'd elbow the cyclist in the ribs! So unnecessary that it sometimes feels like they are menacing me on purpose.

Author:  kfad [ Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic

I NEEEEEEED roasted cashews for breakfast.

Page 1556 of 2108 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/