| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1567, 1568, 1569, 1570, 1571, 1572, 1573 ... 1900  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Spent the afternoon trying to banish the smell of peas...

I'm obviously the opposite of torque in that I forgot about the actual filters and thought you were being strange about small green legumes. For a moment I was genuinely puzzled. Guess I need sleep!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I went to a gunstore/indoor shooting range today to ask if I could fire a handgun.
(I just wanted to do that once to know what it's like and to know how a gun sounds)

I figured being a tourist from Europe would be an issue, but it wasn't. I told them I had no experience with handguns, and expected that some one would stand next to me to check if I was doing things right.

Instead I got a revolver, a box of ammo, glasses and hearing protection and they told me which door lead to the shooting range. No one checked if I loaded the gun the right way ... (there were cameras in the shooting range though)

Shooting itself is not exciting at all, but I am really surprised they gave me a gun with minimal instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

welcome to north america, praise the Lard and pass the ammunition, as we say.

[i was actually considering taking my kid to one while we're here. i am pretty anti-gun but i learned to shoot when i was young, and it's come in handy.]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 am 
Ninja Master

I am going away for the weekend and I think I've got my workmate's lurgy. GAHH! Hopefully it won't develop.

So pissed off.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

First bear of the year in the driveway!! eating the trash. it was SO large. not quite polar bear but much bigger than a large dog. good-sized pony at least.

i have such mixed feelings about the bears. they are a danger to people and themselves (because of car crashes, not because they're people-attacking monsters). We've destroyed their habitat and now it's their fault that they eat the trash. but i went outside to scare it away (since i had to clean up the trash after it) and it was so timid and just reminded me so much of my dog. i don't have any delusions about how they want to be my frieeeeeeends or anything like that but aside from their tendency to eat things that people like (trash, birdfeeders, etc) they are pretty harmless. i hate to think of them being shot. it's amazing that within an hour-ish from one of the largest urban centers in the world, there are these huge animals wandering around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 am 
WRETCHED

torque wrote:
welcome to north america, praise the Lard and pass the ammunition, as we say.

[i was actually considering taking my kid to one while we're here. i am pretty anti-gun but i learned to shoot when i was young, and it's come in handy.]

My husband's work was talking about a bonding activity by going to a shooting range. My husband asked me what I thought, I told him I'd be nervous and then I looked into shooting range accidents and they aren't that rare. I told him it was his choice but I didn't like the idea. They ended up never doing it due to lack of interest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was just reading this New Yorker article about Dr. Oz yesterday: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013 ... ct_specter

He is a paradox.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

linanil wrote:
shooting range accidents and they aren't that rare.

i'm not suprised. my brother was a police officer and he's got access to some military/police spaces that are a bit more on the up-and-up than the good-ole-boy crazy places we have around here (which seem more like roller rinks or arcades, and alcohol flows freely).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 am 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
linanil wrote:
shooting range accidents and they aren't that rare.

i'm not suprised. my brother was a police officer and he's got access to some military/police spaces that are a bit more on the up-and-up than the good-ole-boy crazy places we have around here (which seem more like roller rinks or arcades, and alcohol flows freely).

I went to a shooting range with my guy this summer. I don't really know what I was expecting. (A building, at least?) It was just a field with an open air structure set up with tables to lay out your guns and ammo and what-have-you. No attendant, except for a lonely looking dude who was sweeping up shells. Scared the living daylights out of me. People were courteous though, when they wanted to go out and set up a new target (like full 2 liters and watermelons!) they shouted out and everyone stopped shooting until they got back and gave the all clear. But...I can totally see how someone could just get shot in a scenario like that, and my friend later told me that at that particular range, accidents are not really that infrequent. Yikes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

allularpunk wrote:
full 2 liters and watermelons!.

ha, this is totally what it's like out here, except around here you would shoot at that in your back yard. we moan about hunting season being the time for crazy people but really, we hear guns all the time out here. pumpkins were on sale at the shoprite and i heard someone talking about how at that price they were good for settin' up and shootin'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That's such a forked up attitude. Food waste always irritates the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no shiitake, right? i wanted to ask if they don't have tin cans anymore. i want to eat all the pumpkins....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 am 
WELFARIST!

Agreed. But I have to admit that seeing a watermelon and a 2 liter explode was pretty cool. But I obviously wouldn't make a habit out of it. Maybe save it for a watermelon that's about to rot or something.

Out of sheer curiosity, do you guys carve pumpkins for Halloween? I never thought about that being wasteful, but I guess it would be.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

I don't carve pumpkins. I don't think my mom does pumpkins anymore but we used to use a magic marker to draw on the pumpkin and then we would cook it after halloween. I think my mom would just cut out the parts with the marker then boil the pumpkin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

When I carve a pumpkin, I always keep the fleshy bits from inside to make tasty pumpkin soup.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I've done both of those things - scoop out and use flesh ( and sometimes roast the seeds) or draw on then use after. When I was young, pumpkins weren't as readily available in my village or perhaps were too spendy, but anyway we carved out swedes instead, and used the insides in stew. Only I loved raw swede so I just ate the innards as they came out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm still wondering how torque learning to shoot when she was young comes in handy!

I'm having a bad cake day. I went to a new vegan cake place and bought three different cakes which were all pretty disappointing. In another normally good place I got a chocolate covered doughnut - only when I bit into it I found it was just chocolate sponge in a doughnut shape. It was okay but not at all what I wanted. And from elsewhere a chocolate, beetroot, walnut & chilli muffin I'm now eating is pretty hard going. Talk about a bad streak - not one yummy cake in a binge of 5.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:57 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I definitely use the insides of pumpkins as food if I'm carving the outside. But even if someone's not going to do that, I'd still advocate in favor of using them for craft purposes, but against using them for target practice. Generally I am pro-art and anti-gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:02 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Aren't the pumpkins you carve not the same as the ones you eat? I tried to roast a carved pumpkin one year to use for soups and stuff, and it was inedible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

I once bought a pumpkin to carve and never got around to it, so I roasted it sometime in November and it was fine. Maybe roasting it after it had been carved and sitting out made it gross? I know the little pumpkins are sweeter and better for pie and such, but I've never heard that big ones aren't for eating.

So, those of you that are cooking the insides of your pumpkins...do you mean the gloopy pulpy stuff? I only ever take that stuff (and the seeds) out. That gunk is cookable?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

rentaghost wrote:
I'm still wondering how torque learning to shoot when she was young comes in handy!

fair enough, especially as a self-confessed peacenik (nowadays).
i spent a summer working at a camp on the NY/Canada border in college. Lots of rednecks and preppers, even back then. Everybody had guns, mostly shotguns but lots of handguns too. There were a few creepy times when I found myself the only woman in a group of men who just seemed to notice that fact. Or when we were out in the bars, even as a group ("bars". more like a keg in a shack.). When a man made a comment about how nervous a girl might feel around so many men with guns, it was nice to be able to say "hey nice gun, want to go outside and let me try it?" or go knock down some targets. It changed the atmosphere a bit. This also happened once in Japan, of all places, but that's a different story.
And I certainly felt a bit better knowing I had one more resource at my disposal, heaven forbid it should ever come to that.
Which is why I think I'd like my kid to learn too (and why she's gotten her first driving lessons, and once we get a lighter motorcycle, she will learn how to drive it.... Girls and boys both, but especially girls, I think, should have as many tools in their belt as possible. I hate to think that she should ever need to use it, but one never knows.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh my grandma used to grow pumpkins and they look like the same ones you see in the store. Those were the ones we decorated. We used to make pumpkin bread from them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

rentaghost wrote:

fair enough, especially as a self-confessed peacenik (nowadays).
i spent a summer working at a camp on the NY/Canada border in college. Lots of rednecks and preppers, even back then. Everybody had guns, mostly shotguns but lots of handguns too. There were a few creepy times when I found myself the only woman in a group of men who just seemed to notice that fact. Or when we were out in the bars, even as a group ("bars". more like a keg in a shack.). When a man made a comment about how nervous a girl might feel around so many men with guns, it was nice to be able to say "hey nice gun, want to go outside and let me try it?" or go knock down some targets. It changed the atmosphere a bit. This also happened once in Japan, of all places, but that's a different story.
And I certainly felt a bit better knowing I had one more resource at my disposal, heaven forbid it should ever come to that.
Which is why I think I'd like my kid to learn too (and why she's gotten her first driving lessons, and once we get a lighter motorcycle, she will learn how to drive it.... Girls and boys both, but especially girls, I think, should have as many tools in their belt as possible. I hate to think that she should ever need to use it, but one never knows.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My sister in law used to have a pumpkin farm. The difference is that the really big ones are not so great for pies, but just fine for soups and curry. The little ones are sweeter and better for baking.

I do miss the days when I could fill up the trunk of my car with pumpkins and squash for free....

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

The seeds can be roasted. The rest is probably better if you puree it first.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1567, 1568, 1569, 1570, 1571, 1572, 1573 ... 1900  Next