| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1585, 1586, 1587, 1588, 1589, 1590, 1591 ... 1901  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:33 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

postnothing wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
What kind of piercings?

uhhh nipples. not sure why i feel sheepish typing it! hah.

You definitely gotta be clean and careful for that one. I think mine took about 6 weeks to heal but it'll still occasionally get a little inflamed and I've had it for about three years.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:38 am 
Smuggling Raisins

i'm glad to hear 6 weeks... most info i find says about 3-6 months, but i've been reading stories of people who've dealt with healing for a year, which kinda scares me. i'm generally a fast healer so i hope that isn't the case for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:16 am 
WELFARIST!

I am 100% sure that I am going to regret eating my leftover half of a giant tofu sandwich for breakfast an hour before going to yoga.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

postnothing wrote:
i'm glad to hear 6 weeks... most info i find says about 3-6 months, but i've been reading stories of people who've dealt with healing for a year, which kinda scares me. i'm generally a fast healer so i hope that isn't the case for me.

I am definitely not a fast healer but that one was okay. Probably because I took very good care of it.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

postnothing wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
What kind of piercings?

uhhh nipples. not sure why i feel sheepish typing it! hah.

They take a while to heal. I had surgery 3 months after getting mine and had fishing line put in and I still needed to go to a piercer and have them stretched to get the jewelry back in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i love it when people come to the door and i'm working in my usual Big Lebowski gear*. "sorry, we know that people are trying to relax on a saturday morning," "no worries, but i'm kind of working" and they look at me like 'oh rilly'.....

*minus the glasses, this could be me on any given day. i do take some liberties with my feet, i'm wearing lumberjack socks and adidas flip flops

and in trying to find a picture of my attire, i found out that i have just missed the event of the year this weekend....
https://lebowskifest.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am 

Im in toronto! And actually in the city instead of near the giant airport! The supernatural conventiom has been hilarious so far. Ty Ollson is amazing and drunk all the time, and Samantha Smith has just become a new role model. /dork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:47 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I hadn't seen this in years, then I thought of JGL and had to find it:

From hitRECord Morgan M Morgansen.

http://www.hitrecord.org/records/65444

It improved my mood by 1000%.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Was there a thread about figuring out to do with your life? It vaguely rings a bell, and I could use it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My boyfriend just told me I should hang it with people in groups more and it really irked me. I'm 24, at this point I should be quite certain that I simply dislike being in groups. It makes me nervous because I can't focus on everyone, because I'm shy and scared, and when there's more people the likelyness that they'll say something sexist/racist/generally stupid is even higher.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

strawberryrock wrote:
My girlfriend mentioned today that a friend of hers our age (who I knew made quite a bit of money, like 45k a year or something, over three times what I make) has 20k in savings which is so beyond my comprehension that I basically just want to cry about it forever while I google selling plasma.

I'm 35, and probably the biggest thing I've been able to recently admit to myself is that I suck at money. By this point, I should have a healthy savings account and a good budget going, etc, etc. But nope - paycheck to paycheck like it's always been. I have a decent paying job, I just have a terrible habit of increasing my spending to match my income, and I don't record any purchases. I know ALL the things I need to do to be better at money, but I never can seem to get them to stick. I'll try to start keeping on budget, and I'll blow it within a week, and 'round and 'round we go. This behavior baffles me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:51 pm 

My mother just said "it might be your prostate". I'm officially and unmistakably not young anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

zelavie wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
My girlfriend mentioned today that a friend of hers our age (who I knew made quite a bit of money, like 45k a year or something, over three times what I make) has 20k in savings which is so beyond my comprehension that I basically just want to cry about it forever while I google selling plasma.

I'm 35, and probably the biggest thing I've been able to recently admit to myself is that I suck at money. By this point, I should have a healthy savings account and a good budget going, etc, etc. But nope - paycheck to paycheck like it's always been. I have a decent paying job, I just have a terrible habit of increasing my spending to match my income, and I don't record any purchases. I know ALL the things I need to do to be better at money, but I never can seem to get them to stick. I'll try to start keeping on budget, and I'll blow it within a week, and 'round and 'round we go. This behavior baffles me.

I don't feel like I'm bad at money really, I just don't have enough of it...there was a year when I was making $27k at a job that made me absolutely miserable (like 70 hour work weeks and an emotionally abusive boss) and I felt somewhat financially stable and was able to save but since then I have made dramatically less and feel like I will never make that much again.

And now I am going to go sell some books to the bookstore so I can pay my credit card bills.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:06 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

There was this girl on property brothers the other day who was like a photographer - definitely no more than five years older than me and she was buying a house for like 170,000 outright. Out forking right. Like she had that money in her possession. I made up a huge backstory for her in my head that involved a lawsuit against a multimillion dollar company, but maybe she just had that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It's more likely that she inherited or was given the money than that she had saved up 170,000 dollars in a few years working as a photographer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:15 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Maybe. Or maybe she like sold a photo that is now on Hallmark cards. I don't know, but it made me feel inadequate. And her sassy friend pronounced "cabinetry" with like 8 syllables.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Drinking on an empty stomach last night and then posting stuff on the internet/sending emails around 1am was probably a mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:22 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

strawberryrock wrote:
zelavie wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I don't feel like I'm bad at money really, I just don't have enough of it...there was a year when I was making $27k at a job that made me absolutely miserable (like 70 hour work weeks and an emotionally abusive boss) and I felt somewhat financially stable and was able to save but since then I have made dramatically less and feel like I will never make that much again.

And now I am going to go sell some books to the bookstore so I can pay my credit card bills.

Yeah, I'm 33 and have actually recently come to the opposite conclusion. I'm not terrible with money (I'm not GREAT, but I do a decent job of sticking to a budget, managing my baby credit card, etc.). I just don't make anywhere near what someone with my education and experience would be making (adjusted for inflation) from the previous generation, and so it's not realistic for me to expect that I could do the things people did with my type of income 30 years ago or whatever. In the 80s, my income would have me living a secure middle-class life, but as it is now, I mostly live paycheck to paycheck, and I make a decent wage. After the bills, rent, taxes, and groceries, I don't have much money left to save, and when things like medical bills or other unexpected expenses come up, I have to empty my meagre savings to pay them, because I am trying to build credit and buy a house. I don't shop, go on expensive vacations (I don't go on vacations at all - so far this year, I've taken 2 days to go camping 2 hours away), or spend any real money on aesthetic stuff. My spending money generally goes towards bike stuff (race fees, repairs, equipment), and the odd pizza and beer night.

I think this weird moralizing that our society does with money (if you don't have savings, property, etc. then it means you're "bad with money") is kind of a major capitalist cop out. It's way easier for the people who benefit from our current, unjust, shitty system to blame the face that there are people who are working hard and not getting ahead on their own stupidity/ineptitude than to otherwise explain why some people are getting super rich (hint: it's not because they are better at saving than others) while others are struggling despite working hard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:53 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

torque wrote:
i love it when people come to the door and i'm working in my usual Big Lebowski gear*. "sorry, we know that people are trying to relax on a saturday morning," "no worries, but i'm kind of working" and they look at me like 'oh rilly'.....

*minus the glasses, this could be me on any given day. i do take some liberties with my feet, i'm wearing lumberjack socks and adidas flip flops

and in trying to find a picture of my attire, i found out that i have just missed the event of the year this weekend....
https://lebowskifest.com/

Haha on weekends when I don't have plans I tend to stay in my PJs until I go running, just while I'm doing homework or cleaning or whatever. Then someone comes over to hang out with/pick up my brothers or something and I feel like a slob.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

jordanpattern wrote:

I think this weird moralizing that our society does with money (if you don't have savings, property, etc. then it means you're "bad with money") is kind of a major capitalist cop out. It's way easier for the people who benefit from our current, unjust, shitty system to blame the face that there are people who are working hard and not getting ahead on their own stupidity/ineptitude than to otherwise explain why some people are getting super rich (hint: it's not because they are better at saving than others) while others are struggling despite working hard.

Yeah, I have an aunt who's a retired surgical nurse who chewed me out for being in debt. She has never used a credit card in her life. She and her hubby own two houses, one in the mountains. She doesn't understand that not everyone has the same opportunities as she has. Plus, if she was just starting now as a nurse, the financial opportunities that she got in the decades she worked there aren't as great now. She got in it when the economy was good, way back before the 80s. Back then, big companies set up retirement plans for you with 401Ks and retirement benefits. Do they even do that anymore?

And another relative who (I was told) gets $3600 a month in social security and retirement benefits from the tire plant he worked at for decades. Do they think young people nowadays are going to get that much for their retirement?

I have a great big handful of retired relatives who are living very well off of their SS and retirement benefits. Something I will never see or experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:15 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm so hungry for snacks but have nuuuuuthing, I really almost just opened a can of beans planning to eat them plain and cold with a fork.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:57 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm having a dilemma about a work event happening on Monday. My company is sponsoring a golf tournament, and pretty much everyone in our office is going to hang out, play, and/or work booths. There is also a dinner afterwards. My boss asked me multiple times if I wanted to go, and I repeatedly said yes. The alternative option presented to me was to stay at the office by myself all day and answer the phone.

He acted like he didn't believe me when I said I wanted to go, and eventually offered me the "option" to come into the office for half a day and then go to the golf thing in the afternoon. But I was not invited to the dinner because he "tried" to arrange a vegan meal for me and failed. (My boss is the pushiest person on the planet and does not take no for an answer if he really wants something; I have no doubt he could have at least gotten me a salad or something.) Truthfully, he just didn't reserve a seat for me. He invited a bunch of guests who are clearly more important than me. I am a manager at the company, by the way, and I have been there longer than most others. It's not like I'm an intern who started last week or something.

Clearly he doesn't want me to go at all, so I have been telling people that I'm just not going. I talked to a friend/co-worker about it tonight, and he thinks I'm only proving my boss right if I skip the event. He thinks I should show up for the afternoon and try to have fun. But, like, then what? Go home like a loser when everyone else is heading to the fancy dinner? I think it will just make me feel worse about myself when I'm already feeling pretty shitty.

I am not very social (especially with work people!), and this is not the first time I've been excluded from stuff. I don't know why I'm suddenly so bothered by it, but I am. I can't decide what I should do! (other than quit my job, tell my boss to go fork himself, etc etc).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:15 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Go to the afternoon, be the life and soul of the party (in true 'fake it til you make it' style). Then sit down at the dinner and eat the amazing vegan food you bring with you. There's no way in which the caterers can say that they can't let you use a chair and silverware. If anyone asks why you had to bring your own, say it how it is: "Boss man couldn't arrange a salad for me, so told me I couldn't come to have dinner with everyone else".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm good with money but I only earn 400 euros a month and get 400 euros in support from my parents still. Which is, uh, good because I wouldn't get a loan from the government because my parents own a house (which is actually still owned by my grandmother who still lives there, and it's really old and in another part of the country... not sure how the government thinks that pays for my studies). My rent is 400 euros + heating & water. Effectively I live on 300 euros a month and it's going well. But I'm 24 and while tons of people here at university live off their parents alone and don't work at all (like my boyfriend for instance) it makes me uncomfortable and I really want to earn the other 400 euro, too. But everything that I'd like to do looks like I'd need to be self-employed and the tax equation and getting started confuses me so much.

At this moment I'd really like to find work that lets me earn 800-1000 euro, let's me for my pay insurance & still lets me study.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm good with money because I spend it all, every red cent , from pay cheque to pay cheque. Life is short, and you can't take it with you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1585, 1586, 1587, 1588, 1589, 1590, 1591 ... 1901  Next