| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1598, 1599, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604 ... 1851  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I had to work with this creepy guy in the last ged session. Every other sentence involved talking about a "hot chick" or a "very attractive woman" or similar. Considering we were talking about math, working that in took some talent.

Blech.

And when he found out I teach earth science, he started trying to "teach" me stuff about plate tectonics. I wanted to be a bisque and start talking way over his head about the latest geophysics research, but refrained.

I'm going to volunteer to teach a session next year. I feel that I can do a better job than some of the presenters we had today. I'm excited about this idea!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My pinky finger, for the last two days has been...not numb, but feeling less sensation than normal. Like half numb. Tell me I'm dying of some horrible nerve disease.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:40 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

This is the second time TODAY that I have heard a clock ticking in my living room. There is no clock in the living room.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50 pm 
And you never will.

kfad wrote:
This is the second time TODAY that I have heard a clock ticking in my living room. There is no clock in the living room.

Is there a sexy British man in your fireplace?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:01 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

strawberryrock wrote:
My pinky finger, for the last two days has been...not numb, but feeling less sensation than normal. Like half numb. Tell me I'm dying of some horrible nerve disease.

Sometimes my pinky fingers and also sometime toes do this. I have been tested for B12 and am fine-ish there. It does it for a couple days or so and then at some point I forget about it for a while and realize at some point they're back to normal. Either we're both dying from some horrible disease or maybe bodies just do this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:09 am 

Mars wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

Sometimes my pinky fingers and also sometime toes do this. I have been tested for B12 and am fine-ish there. It does it for a couple days or so and then at some point I forget about it for a while and realize at some point they're back to normal. Either we're both dying from some horrible disease or maybe bodies just do this?

Probably both dying.

My b12 levels were pretty high a year and a half ago when I got them tested last and I remember to take it sometimes so I feel like I am probably ok there...but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:22 am 

Sometimes I feel like everyone I know who seems to be doing well either receives financial support from their parents or received financial support while they were figuring their career shiitake out (post-college) and that's why they're doing well and I get super bitter. And then I've been kind of obsessed with reading personal essays and such about money lately which frequently reinforces that. I know it's not universally true and lots of young people don't have that. But I read this thing that had a casual mention of how the money for the deposit on the author's first apartment was her dad's money and I really wonder how normal that is and then I'm just like DOES EVERY PERSON HAVE SECRET PARENT MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 am 

strawberryrock wrote:
DOES EVERY PERSON HAVE SECRET PARENT MONEY.

A lot of people in our age group indeed do seem to. When ever I learn this about various friends I can't decide if I'm bitter/jealous about it or actually really grateful/proud for the little I do have.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 am 

Mars wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

A lot of people in our age group indeed do seem to. When ever I learn this about various friends I can't decide if I'm bitter/jealous about it or actually really grateful/proud for the little I do have.

I think I'm just bitter/jealous but it probably has something to do with how poor I am right now and how horribly my job hunt is going.

Also, I should say that I know that if I really needed some extra money to pay rent, I know my parents would help me, and I have asked my mom to borrow 100 bucks twice in my life before and both times she wrote me a check and said I didn't need to pay her back. So it's not like I've never depended on them, and plenty of people don't even have that, but the idea that parents support adults while they do unpaid internships to build their resumes, or so they can take Americorps positions but not live in weird attics in punk houses, or focus on freelance stuff that doesn't come consistently, or just do whatever with their lives without worrying about stuff like paying rent or massive credit card bills because of the huge amount of debt accrued from a sick kitten last year (um, for example) is so crazy to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

dropscone wrote:
jogirl wrote:
I spent the afternoon dressed as a giant pumpkin in an effort to engage the children I teach. I think I was moderately successful.

Please tell me someone took a photo?

Ha, there were photos! i will try and get hold of them and post one later.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:12 am 

I'm kind of realizing I have this brilliant idea for a little small business (side-job style) I could run for myself, and I really really really want to do this. Like, I'm so forkin' killer at this why am I not already doing this.

Spoiler: show
Basically I really want to make classy-as-shit gift baskets. Or, like, kooky gift baskets. Also I could even offer shelf-stable gift boxes to ship out.

A gift basket I made at the request of a customer at my work about a month ago (not a request we get often):
(Yes there's meat in there, I didn't have a say in that matter).
(But look there's also frakkin Don).

I should do this right?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 am 
WRETCHED

Mars wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I think once you notice it, you can't un-see it. I knew a lot of people that got their first cars from their parents, their parents paid for them to go to college, etc, etc. My mom always wanted me to go to college but she wasn't willing (or able) to really help financially. Although during my last couple years of school, my parents income jumped (from like $35k/your to $50k/your combined) due to various reasons, which negatively affected my financial aid. I needed to borrow $1k and I remember my parents had a huge fight about it. I just needed the money until my loan check came in or else I would have to drop out of school as I couldn't afford to live anywhere. Luckily, they lent it to me but I paid it back within a month once my loan check came in.

I will say that although I didn't go to my 20th year reunion, I found out and talked to a lot of my friends from high school in the past year. Despite many of us growing up fairly poor, many of us did pretty well. I have to say that I mostly lucked into a good paying career (right time, right place, etc, etc). Of course all of us are in our late 30s now but I'm sure there were many bumpy roads along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mars wrote:
I'm kind of realizing I have this brilliant idea for a little small business (side-job style) I could run for myself, and I really really really want to do this. Like, I'm so forkin' killer at this why am I not already doing this.

Basically I really want to make classy-as-shit gift baskets. Or, like, kooky gift baskets. Also I could even offer shelf-stable gift boxes to ship out.

A gift basket I made at the request of a customer at my work about a month ago (not a request we get often):

I should do this right?!

I vote yes, but I'd make sure you didn't have to up front costs too much, you know? I'd hate for you to buy stuff and not turn it (not that I think it's a bad idea; I just want to make sure you are comfortable and happy.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:11 am 

linanil wrote:
Mars wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I think once you notice it, you can't un-see it. I knew a lot of people that got their first cars from their parents, their parents paid for them to go to college, etc, etc. My mom always wanted me to go to college but she wasn't willing (or able) to really help financially. Although during my last couple years of school, my parents income jumped (from like $35k/your to $50k/your combined) due to various reasons, which negatively affected my financial aid. I needed to borrow $1k and I remember my parents had a huge fight about it. I just needed the money until my loan check came in or else I would have to drop out of school as I couldn't afford to live anywhere. Luckily, they lent it to me but I paid it back within a month once my loan check came in.

I will say that although I didn't go to my 20th year reunion, I found out and talked to a lot of my friends from high school in the past year. Despite many of us growing up fairly poor, many of us did pretty well. I have to say that I mostly lucked into a good paying career (right time, right place, etc, etc). Of course all of us are in our late 30s now but I'm sure there were many bumpy roads along the way.

Full disclosure, my parents helped with tuition by taking out some loans on my behalf. I think I have 27k of my own student loan debt, but would definitely have more without their help. So that is obviously an advantage that a lot of people don't have. That sucks that you had to go through that--how scary to not know if you could finish school. But then I also know a ton of people with no student loan debt because their parents paid for college out of pocket.

The number of jobs that require you to have your own car that I can't apply for annoys the hell out of me sometimes, and a lot of people I know are driving a car their parents bought them. It's even worse when I look at the salary and I'm like, even if I had that job, I still couldn't afford a car! How could anyone??

Since I'm searching for a job in the nonprofit world, Americorps, especially Americorps Vista, has been pissing me off a lot...it seems like a lot of people start out that way (I'm not exactly starting out, I've had a full-time nonprofit job before and work at one part-time now, but finding a full-time job this time has been impossible) but the pay literally puts you at the poverty line. The entire idea is that you're equal to the people you're serving (which I think is a pretty bullshiitake concept in general) but realistically it seems like a lot of people do it for a year, their parents pay their rent and expenses so they don't have to reduce their standard of living, and then they have experience that gets them a relatively well-paying job.

Bla bla rich people have advantages who knew etc someone give me a job.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Strawberryrock, where are you? I ask because I know a position that is coming open in Eugene (non-profit community development) and can get you the info for it when it opens. If you are interested, of course. You can message me.

I know people think we are helping out our kid too much. But, he works part time while searching for something else, so right now, he lives in my garage and I feed him. He does the rest. I don't mind. I was homeless at his age. And if I didn't get a little bit of help from my mom, who knows.

But no, I am not buying his car, and I can't afford to pay for his schooling.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:39 am 

kfad wrote:
Strawberryrock, where are you? I ask because I know a position that is coming open in Eugene (non-profit community development) and can get you the info for it when it opens. If you are interested, of course. You can message me.

Portland, so close but not quite! And I don't think there's anything wrong with letting your adult kid live with you. I also don't think there's anything wrong with helping your adult kid with expenses to help them survive. It's just frustrating when a lot of people have these huge almost invisible advantages, but I guess that's capitalism.

Extreme example. but I used to work with this girl when I worked at a nonprofit full-time. She was a part-time employee but it was basically a hobby for her because she was completely supported by her parents. Like, they rented a beautiful huge apartment for her that I couldn't have come close to affording on my salary, gave her money for designer clothes and a fancy new car and all this stuff. I would completely understand helping her out while she was only working part-time for not very much, because it would have been really hard to make ends meet. (Though I'm doing that now, and it is, but whatever, not my point.)
But they were paying for a lifestyle that she couldn't even realistically afford for herself in the next several years most likely, as an English major working at a small nonprofit. So they weren't helping her get on her feet, they were just straight-up paying for whatever she wanted. That's super weird right? Like I can't understand why parents would do that, I would think if I were a parent any help I provided would be with the goal that eventually my children would be independently-functioning adults.

But really, her I'm not jealous of at all. I would like to think that even if my parents offered that I wouldn't take it, I would rather actually experience being an adult.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mars wrote:

I should do this right?!

Yes! Classy vegan gift baskets! Such a great idea :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:48 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I certainly think they were not doing her any favors. It is hard to be an adult and remember all the things you need to. And it is really difficult to budget (no matter what the top end of that is). From an outside perspective they are giving her unrealistic expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I have a friend who didn't work all through college, but she always had an apartment. She was so picky that she didn't get a job at all until at least a year after she graduated (refused to do service work of any kind), and somehow still had money to live on her own and take regular trips to Europe. She eventually did find an admin job at her former (private! more expensive than my university!) high school, but she quit that after 3 years because she got bored. Now she's unemployed and posting on facebook all the time that she's looking for part-time work. Meanwhile, she's still living alone and just got back from 3 weeks in France.

I look at her life and think, wow, I really can't relate to you at all. She's 25 years old but I don't think she's had any real taste of adulthood yet. She probably never will; her parents will support her forever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 am 

There's a local council election here today and I've not received any information at all about any of the candidates. I just don't know how to decide who to vote for! Closed eyes and stab at the sheet of paper with the pencil maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Can you look up info about them online?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 am 

I've found some candidate's statements online, but pretty much all of them just say something along the lines of "I live in the local area and I like it. I want to make good things happen here but I'm going to be totally unspecific about what those things might be. Vote for me"

There is one exception, which is someone who says:

Quote:
[...] Every organisation I am involved in is riven with discord and conflict. This is purely coincidence.

Purely based on this alone, I quite feel like voting for him!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:32 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

monkeytoes wrote:
Biker boy signed his side of the house sale documents today; his buyer will sign tomorrow and they will close on Friday. Three weeks exactly from the day it went on the market to be sold and closed is lightening fast! He was just over there now dropping off keys, locking up, and walking away for the last time. Bittersweet.

Gah, I am so jealous of BB on behalf of my guy. His house has been on the market since around January, and no one has even put in an offer. I don't really understand why...the house is completely remodeled with brand new kitchen appliances, countertops, flooring, fantastic bathrooms, open floor plan... The only thing we can think of is that it's the only ranch style house in that neighborhood, where people seem to go more for 2 story brick homes, and it doesn't have much of a back yard to speak of, but the front yard is lovely, and it's on a corner lot, so it's a big front yard. He needs a new realtor, clearly.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:32 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am doing a little rearrangement of my living room. And in the middle I realized that I am painting in about a week. Why am I bothering?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I work as a freelance writer. A few months ago I wrote a number of vegan recipes for a client, who was contracted by a large company who didn't want it known where the articles were going. I was just thinking about it, so I ran one of the saved copies of my recipe through a plagiarism checker so I could see if it was online yet and figure out where they'd been posted. This one was on a large general information / ehow-style website attributed to a fairly well-known and respected vegan cookbook author. Once I've finished writing a piece and been paid for it, it's no longer mine, so I have no qualms with that side of it... but I just thought it was kind of interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1598, 1599, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604 ... 1851  Next