| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604, 1605, 1606 ... 1888  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 pm 
Chip Strong

lavawitch wrote:
Now personal finance is required, so they are removing funding from science electives and art to pay for it.

That part is really not awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:53 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

guys, what do you do when you realize you've turned into your parent? I grew up having this almost triggering reaction to Supertramp, my dad would always put it on really quite loudly, get drunk and lock himself in his office. A lot of times it was school nights, too, and I'd be in my room trying to sleep and covering my ears with my hands and then at like 1 I'd hear my mum go down the stairs and they'd have a screaming match.

Now I keep wanting to listen to Supertramp. And I forkin love it. I'm sitting in my room with the door closed listening to Supertramp as loud as I can without bothering my roomies and drinking wine and really enjoying myself. Except when I realized what I was doing and now I'm a bit weirded out. But still going to do it because because! (that's what my dad used to say)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ariann wrote:
Still, skills are not the same as actual money, which people legitimately need more of sometimes to get through difficult times.

That's a great way of putting it. My parents received financial help from my grandparents on and off throughout their life, because they chose careers in the nonprofit world, with salaries on which they couldn't save much, and when funding for their organizations ran out they just couldn't support a family of 5 on unemployment benefits alone.

Conversely, apart from living with my mother during college, I haven't received much (any?) financial help from my family because I have been lucky enough never to need it. I got a lot of grants for women in STEM fields that supported me through unpaid internships, then I moved on to paid internships on which I could save, and then made it into a field with loads of jobs and excellent pay. I don't think I am bad with money, but who knows how I would do if I didn't have much of it? It's easy to feel like you have good money management skills when you just have, well, lots of money.

Vantine wrote:
In so many ways, it matters how much money your parents have. There is no way around that. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing that out.

It's not the only factor but it does make a huge difference.

This too, absolutely. Even if I didn't use it, knowing that I had a safety net allowed me to make different choices that helped me get where I am.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've spent most of my day running up and down the stairs and carrying stuff we're not keeping to the recycling station. Still have a bunch more stuff that needs to go before my stuff arrives on tuesday! This is going to be a looooong day! BUT yesterday I managed to hang up a rack for our clothes and today I managed to clean out the kitchen so there is room for my stuff! It's all coming along slowly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:35 am 
WRETCHED

aelle wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Still, skills are not the same as actual money, which people legitimately need more of sometimes to get through difficult times.

That's a great way of putting it. My parents received financial help from my grandparents on and off throughout their life, because they chose careers in the nonprofit world, with salaries on which they couldn't save much, and when funding for their organizations ran out they just couldn't support a family of 5 on unemployment benefits alone.

Conversely, apart from living with my mother during college, I haven't received much (any?) financial help from my family because I have been lucky enough never to need it. I got a lot of grants for women in STEM fields that supported me through unpaid internships, then I moved on to paid internships on which I could save, and then made it into a field with loads of jobs and excellent pay. I don't think I am bad with money, but who knows how I would do if I didn't have much of it? It's easy to feel like you have good money management skills when you just have, well, lots of money.

Vantine wrote:
In so many ways, it matters how much money your parents have. There is no way around that. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing that out.

This too, absolutely. Even if I didn't use it, knowing that I had a safety net allowed me to make different choices that helped me get where I am.

When I was trying to figure out my finances quite a few years ago, I joined an online board, similar to the PPK but for financial advice. You'd hear many stories of people who were drowning in debt, living paycheck to paycheck, worried about making their mortgage, etc, etc. I remember one woman in particular who stated her income was $300k+ and she was one of those people (living paycheck to paycheck). So I do think the skills are important because you can have all the money in the world and not know how to manage it. It is also the reason that many major lottery winners in the US have ended up filing bankruptcy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Got a Prada perfume sample the other day that I really liked. Went to Sephora online to research it more, and found out it's a men's cologne!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:40 am 
Dead by dawn

ScooterDiva wrote:
Got a Prada perfume sample the other day that I really liked. Went to Sephora online to research it more, and found out it's a men's cologne!

It's only a men's cologne if only men wear it. If you love it and it smells good on you then it's just a fragrance. For people.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

monkeytoes wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

It's only a men's cologne if only men wear it. If you love it and it smells good on you then it's just a fragrance. For people.

Agreed. I used to wear men's cologne.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:03 pm 

Ariann wrote:

This is very true. It probably would be cool if I had a personal finance class in high school or something, but I don't think it would change that I have $7k of (necessary at the time) credit card debt, $27k of student loans and make $14,560 a year. I understood credit cards, but they were my only option. I probably had overly optimistic ideas about how much a college degree would help me, but I think everyone my age did (went to college 2005, finished 2010). It's not like I'm irresponsibly not saving because I think it's unimportant or I don't know how.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm so glad I didn't have to (and couldn't...) take student loans. I earn shiitake all (5000 euros a year) but I don't have any debts so I get by ok. But I do think it has to do with planing and ability, too. This month i kinda forgot to think about money and now on the 25th I got a tenner left and only a package of pasta and a kilo of onions.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:23 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Vantine wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
I mean, I think I would absolutely be better-off, career-wise, if my parents helped support me, absolutely. But I also think parents who support their adult children while they do unpaid internships and such are perpetuating a horribly unfair system. But of course everyone wants the best for their children and the wealthy can provide more for theirs.

Oh so true. And on the opposite end of the spectrum from aelle, I only pursued a 2-year college diploma post-secondary because I had no financial support from any family. I had no safety net, so I wasn't really able to just...go for it and pursue my "dreams". I wish so much that I could have, but it just wasn't in the cards for me. And absolutely that has greatly affected where I am today; I was an academically gifted kid, but that can't really go anywhere if you don't have lots of privilege to fall back on.

In other, less depressing, news, I went and got a makeover today! I had this card that entitled me to a makeover at Sephora, so after a shiitake week I decided to use it today. The woman who did my makeup was really knowledgeable about vegan/cruelty-free stuff and was super awesome at making sure everything we used was. And I feel pretty! Which is, as shallow as it sounds, a nice antidote to feeling depressed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 pm 

The cool thing is that if I work full-time for a 501(c)3 nonprofit for 10 years I can get my student loans forgiven. The uncool thing is that I can't find a full-time job in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

strawberryrock wrote:
Ariann wrote:

This is very true. It probably would be cool if I had a personal finance class in high school or something, but I don't think it would change that I have $7k of (necessary at the time) credit card debt, $27k of student loans and make $14,560 a year. I understood credit cards, but they were my only option. I probably had overly optimistic ideas about how much a college degree would help me, but I think everyone my age did (went to college 2005, finished 2010). It's not like I'm irresponsibly not saving because I think it's unimportant or I don't know how.

Yeah. I don't feel like an irresponsible adult. I carried a lot of credit card debt for several years because that's how I was able to take some risks, make big moves, go to grad school, etc., and it's now paid off. It was really hard to pay it off, though, and I couldn't have if I hadn't landed a reasonably good job. And then of course I married someone carrying $100k in student loans (compared to my $20k). So that's gonna suck basically forever and is the difference between us renting an apartment for the next 10 years instead of buying a house in the area we actually want to live in like a remarkable number of people our age are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just went to get Tegan in from the yard, and I noticed she was carrying something around in her mouth. Sometimes she picks up sticks or acorns and carries them, so I wasn't too concerned. I went over and took it from her and it was a vertebra! It wasn't something that maybe looks somewhat like a vertebra. This was 100% someone/something's backbone. What the fork. I freaked out and threw it over the fence, behind the neighbours' garage. (Sorry, neighbours!) Why are there bones in my backyard? What if there is an entire skeleton out there? What if there are multiple skeletons out there? They might come to life on Halloween and try to break into the house and attack me! Omg you guys, I think I need to move now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I think there is a perception that some people are carrying debt because they wanted cute shoes they could not afford. Medical bills and living expenses end up on credit cards as well. I know people who don't carry employer provided health insurance because they can't afford to pay their part of the premiums.

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh so true. And on the opposite end of the spectrum from aelle, I only pursued a 2-year college diploma post-secondary because I had no financial support from any family. I had no safety net, so I wasn't really able to just...go for it and pursue my "dreams". I wish so much that I could have, but it just wasn't in the cards for me. And absolutely that has greatly affected where I am today; I was an academically gifted kid, but that can't really go anywhere if you don't have lots of privilege to fall back on.

You would be surprised how many people start out with one foot higher up because of how much their parents have.

But hurray for the makeover!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh dear, I seem to have completely lost the ability to give a shiitake. At least where this job and my douchy pseudo-boss type person are concerned. I just hung up on him mid-sentence. In my defense, it was a ridiculous sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It's friday night and I kind of want to go out, but I think I'm going to stay home. Again. Because I am broke and half my friends moved out of the country. I hope I can find a decent tv show to keep me company!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

monkeytoes wrote:
Oh dear, I seem to have completely lost the ability to give a shiitake. At least where this job and my douchy pseudo-boss type person are concerned. I just hung up on him mid-sentence. In my defense, it was a ridiculous sentence.

Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Vantine wrote:
You would be surprised how many people start out with one foot higher up because of how much their parents have.

And also surprised by how invisible that privilege is.

e.g. My mom took out a $10k loan to cover housing for my first year of college (forking awesome, let me tell you) and then co-signed all of my loans (which I am still paying back). My cousins, in contrast, have received everything from my uncle and Don't Get what a forking awesome gift it is to have no pressure to work through college, no pressure to find a job immediately after college, or how lucky they are to have him sign a cheque for anything they want (from airfare for fancy places to cars to tuition). It's awesome that their dad can do it -- I'm absolutely jealous that I don't get the same treatment from my dad -- and I'm pretty annoyed that I don't see any recognition on their end for what their dad is able to do for them OR for the stuff my sister and I have had to go through to make our own education possible. For them, it's "just normal". And yeah, it is, BUT....

eta. I guess invisible privilege isn't really a surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm 
Hip Goiter

My first HelloGiggles post is up! So fun! http://hellogiggles.com/cook-like-the-g ... mac-cheese

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:51 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Love it, RJM!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I just went to get Tegan in from the yard, and I noticed she was carrying something around in her mouth. Sometimes she picks up sticks or acorns and carries them, so I wasn't too concerned. I went over and took it from her and it was a vertebra! It wasn't something that maybe looks somewhat like a vertebra. This was 100% someone/something's backbone. What the fork. I freaked out and threw it over the fence, behind the neighbours' garage. (Sorry, neighbours!) Why are there bones in my backyard? What if there is an entire skeleton out there? What if there are multiple skeletons out there? They might come to life on Halloween and try to break into the house and attack me! Omg you guys, I think I need to move now.

My dog did this once but it was something's leg. Most certainly not human, but it thoroughly freaked me out. However, we live in the woods so it's not super surprising.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Weirdly related to the financially independent conversation you guys have been having...

I was going to move back in (kind of) with my mother and her husband in January to help afford school. I'd still be helping pay utilities and electricity, and purchasing my own things/paying my insurance/etc, but I wouldn't be paying rent, therefore saving $600 a month. Now, her stepson refuses to give up the basement apartment. He's sixteen and is throwing a hissy fit when he has literally an entire house and recently redone bedroom. I mean, I'm refusing to be genuinely upset about this because it's his house and I was asking a favor, but damn. I was really looking forward to being able to cut back my hours at work and really focus on school. Not to mention maybe repairing the absolutely destroyed relationship I have with my mother.
So now I'm stuck in this awkward place of figuring out just how to work enough to afford living + school, while attending class, and studying, and all the other things that go with living and studying. It doesn't help that I'm on academic probation when I return, so I won't be getting any scholarships or grants and am taking a loan (including interest) from my dad until I'm off probation.

Somehow, I hope all this is actually worthwhile. ONE DAY I WILL BE A PROFESSOR, DAMNIT.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

RandiJM wrote:
My first HelloGiggles post is up! So fun! http://hellogiggles.com/cook-like-the-g ... mac-cheese

that recipe looks amazing, and i love your writing style! plus, i am SHOCKED (shocked, i tell you) that you don't actually look like Björk in a swan dress.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lepelaar wrote:
i am SHOCKED (shocked, i tell you) that you don't actually look like Björk in a swan dress.

i'm just disappointed =/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604, 1605, 1606 ... 1888  Next