| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1602, 1603, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1607, 1608 ... 1900  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:19 pm 
And you never will.

Come drink and bake with me! It's fun!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

poopiebitch wrote:
Drunk baking is kind of awesome. I don't know why I've never done this before.

Once a friend and I drunk baked this incredibly hideous lemon-lime cake (we were drinking gin, lime seemed to make sense) and then walked to another friend's house and gave it to him.

Probably one of the worst cakes I've ever made in my life (oh god so sweet) but it was an enjoyable experience!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:45 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Imogen wrote:
I just finished watching the 2 UK series of Queer as Folk. So tell me: is it worth watching the American version too?

YES. The pilot is a little rough, but stick it out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

poopiebitch wrote:

I done that about 3 weeks ago. Then at 3am I got to see evidence of what I baked in the loo. Seemed like such a good idea at the time to make that batch of cookies.

Apparently there is a storm on the way. That means I need to get my buttocks moving quickly and get the pooch out for a walk but I really, really want to be super lazy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:08 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Be careful poopie!! I always end up burning myself while taking things out of the oven, and that's usually only a glass of wine as I cook. Full disclosure, I have no alcohol tolerance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ashley wrote:
Imogen wrote:
I just finished watching the 2 UK series of Queer as Folk. So tell me: is it worth watching the American version too?

YES. The pilot is a little rough, but stick it out.

Yeah, I really liked the US version. I preferred it to the UK version, but maybe that's because I wasn't yet used to UK TV. The US version uses a lot of the same stories as the UK version but stretches them out (and generally gives them fewer or less fatal consequences). And I also feel like the characters weren't such crassholes in the US version - I found a lot of the UK characters really unlikeable.

I just remembered the weird-ass dream I had. I was at some kind of function, and someone said that the queen wasn't meant to be there until tomorrow. And I said, she's here now, right over there. And there was the queen sat at a table, and I was trying to get a good look at her. But the cast of Cheers was at the table between me and the queen, and they started basically telling me I was crazy/needed to be in an asylum or something. And I told Ted Danson that I was gonna stop watching Cheers *and* CSI, fork you very much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:32 am 
WRETCHED

So yesterday, my husband and I went to lunch at our normal vegan place (Chinese restaurant). There was a couple with 2 kids and the father was very insistent about teaching the kids to say hello in Chinese. It is a nice gesture and some people with young kids who are regulars there do the same. Anyway, a little while later, the server comes over (he is Hispanic - I guess somewhere in central America, maybe Guatamala/El Salvador), and the guy says to his kids "say thank you to mr <spanish word>" and I was a bit shocked. I mean... don't people know that it is rude/offensive to give spanish speakers a random name that isn't theirs? Or anyone who happens to be serving you? Why not ask him what his name is if it is important to you to have your kids say thank you to him by a name?

Anyway, I mentioned later to my husband that the guy said a few words wrong in Spanish to his kids and his Chinese pronunciation wasn't very good and my husband said it is noble to teach your kids to be bilingual but hard when you aren't yourself. Then I told him about the waiter incident (which he didn't quite catch) and his comment was "oh so he is teaching his kids to be crassholes in 5 languages".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

poopiebitch wrote:

I did drunk bread baking many years ago ... I used to make bread all the time and one Saturday a long time pal dropped in for lunch which we ate in the kitchen as I started the bread. Now a person needs a g&t before lunch (perhaps even two), a glass or two of wine with lunch, then while waiting for the bread to rise (while expounding on how the rise time can be controlled by the amount of yeast) and nattering at the kitchen table one might just as well finish the bottle which tasted so splendid that another of the same needed uncorking ... the bread was baked emerging in perfect whole wheat splendour from the oven.

I then decided I would give one of the loaves to my neighbour, a nice fellow whose wife has recently run off with a pal of his ... so over the street we tottered putting the loaf on his back door step ... we then decided to tidy his shed the door of which was open ...

The next day he called round to thank me for the bread and when I apologised for any upsets in his shed he said he had only notice that some spanner he had been looking for was suddenly to be had ...

this was decades ago in another country ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Nice going, teacup, you can drunkenly leave me bread and tidy my shed any time!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

rachell37 wrote:
I just remembered the weird-ass dream I had. I was at some kind of function, and someone said that the queen wasn't meant to be there until tomorrow. And I said, she's here now, right over there. And there was the queen sat at a table, and I was trying to get a good look at her. But the cast of Cheers was at the table between me and the queen, and they started basically telling me I was crazy/needed to be in an asylum or something. And I told Ted Danson that I was gonna stop watching Cheers *and* CSI, fork you very much.

Excellent dream.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:50 am 
And you never will.

ndpittman wrote:
Be careful poopie!! I always end up burning myself while taking things out of the oven, and that's usually only a glass of wine as I cook. Full disclosure, I have no alcohol tolerance.

The key is careful and persistent tolerance building, which I have been doing for some time now. Five shots of bourbon and three beers, and I still managed two loaves of bread, one batch of brownies, one Oreo cheesecake and two double batches of icing. And I'm not even hungover! Score.

dropscone wrote:
Nice going, teacup, you can drunkenly leave me bread and tidy my shed any time!

Ha! For real!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I am an adult! My husband and I were approved for a mortgage! Now I can have 17 cats. And a big-ass bill for the next 25 years, but no more rent!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:20 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I am so stressed out by my GED classes. All my new students need books and we don't have any and none will be ordered until January.

I've been using cobbled together stuff for them since the summer, but they want books, and I dont know how to prepare them past where they are without the leveled materials that are keyed to their test scores. Also, they need experience with the question styles. They are all at different places so I can't just make materials or that's all I'd be doing.

I do not want to spend $160+ on books for them because I want a new iPad. (I already bought a couple) My iPad crashes all the time and is just no fun to use anymore (I have the 1G so it's always crashing because of not enough ram) I already buy lab supplies, etc for my day job. I really want to just say "fork this" and not have to spend my money on things I don't want myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lepelaar wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
I am an orange cat. Anyone who has met me can confirm!

you look so soft. i just want to pet you and boop your pink nose. is that creepy?

Not at all! Boop away, I love it.

My back is superfucked from the farm visit yesterday! It hit me overnight. Guess I'm spending the day lying down!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
I am so stressed out by my GED classes. All my new students need books and we don't have any and none will be ordered until January.

I've been using cobbled together stuff for them since the summer, but they want books, and I dont know how to prepare them past where they are without the leveled materials that are keyed to their test scores. Also, they need experience with the question styles. They are all at different places so I can't just make materials or that's all I'd be doing.

I do not want to spend $160+ on books for them because I want a new iPad. (I already bought a couple) My iPad crashes all the time and is just no fun to use anymore (I have the 1G so it's always crashing because of not enough ram) I already buy lab supplies, etc for my day job. I really want to just say "fork this" and not have to spend my money on things I don't want myself.
is it a stupid question to ask why they can't buy their own books or get them from a library?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I can't ask them to buy their own books. Books are supposed to be included. Besides, at least some could not afford it. I have one student who misses class at the end of the month because she doesn't have gas in her car. I'm not sure what to do about this because offering her a ride or a gas card both seem like they would offend her.

The library here is very small and not well stocked. They definitely do not have enough books for multiple people to keep checked put long term.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 am 
Cranky

lavawitch wrote:
I can't ask them to buy their own books. Books are supposed to be included. Besides, at least some could not afford it. I have one student who misses class at the end of the month because she doesn't have gas in her car. I'm not sure what to do about this because offering her a ride or a gas card both seem like they would offend her.

The library here is very small and not well stocked. They definitely do not have enough books for multiple people to keep checked put long term.

You may want to ask the library directly if they'll order some of what your students need. It isn't a great long-term solution, but most libraries are willing to order requests even if they have a very limited budget.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

What kinds of books, LW?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:47 am 
Discovered unobtainium

As far as I know they are still on a buying freeze. Also, the test changes in January, so I need these books yesterday. I was expecting them at the October faculty meeting. That's a good idea for the future though--I can make a list of books that would be useful. But most won't go to the library anyway. I always give them the homework of reading anything as long as its something, but nobody ever does.

Nd, just the usual official GED prep math materials with official practice tests, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:45 pm 
Cranky

Oh, if the local library is part of a consortium, they might have access to something like LearningExpressLibrary that has ebooks and practice tests for a lot of different tests, including the GED.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We have something similar ourselves, but most students don't have computers or Internet and struggle to arrange child care so they can go to the library and work.

One student has gone and done that during the children's story time that I found for her.

I'm very worried about the test switching to all computer interactive because our students don't have the computer skills and we have no budget or access ourselves. The school I teach in will not even allow me access to their wireless network so I can bring in own computers. This is especially maddening as we sit in a class with a mini computer lab but are barred from using it. This is a really serious concern statewide (nationwide, I assume) and we talked about it a lot at the conference. To make it worse, our already strained budgets have to be used for setting up the new Pearson mandated testing labs.

Everybody talks about adult education; nobody wants to actually fund it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

vijita wrote:
I am an adult! My husband and I were approved for a mortgage! Now I can have 17 cats. And a big-ass bill for the next 25 years, but no more rent!

You crazy awesome beeyotch! Congrats!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:49 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

RandiJM wrote:
vijita wrote:

You crazy awesome beeyotch! Congrats!

Congrats!!!!!!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:58 pm 
Mediocre Tart

It's forking freezing and pissing it down and I'm soaked to the bloody skin but I don't even care because I'm on my way (if the bus ever turns up) to see forking Suede at the forking Barrowlands!! Somebody pinch me! Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Neighbour took in a rescue dog. It's great she went for a rescue but it's been barking quite a bit since it's arrived and since it is a bark Lexi doesn't recognise she is joining in with him. The other neighbours are probably cracking up big time because of Lexi barking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1602, 1603, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1607, 1608 ... 1900  Next