| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1603, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1607, 1608, 1609 ... 1872  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

interrobang?! wrote:
It's forking freezing and pissing it down and I'm soaked to the bloody skin but I don't even care because I'm on my way (if the bus ever turns up) to see forking Suede at the forking Barrowlands!! Somebody pinch me! Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Go you :D I saw them at the Dome many years ago and they were fab :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:07 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

kfad wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
vijita wrote:
I am an adult! My husband and I were approved for a mortgage! Now I can have 17 cats. And a big-ass bill for the next 25 years, but no more rent!

You crazy awesome beeyotch! Congrats!

Congrats!!!!!!

Joining the congrats frenzy! Congrats!!

Lavawitch, I hear you on the lack of preparation--I'm worried about the same thing with my teenagers. Everyone just ASSUMES that kids are growing up with unlimited technology and subsequent tech-savvy, but it's so not true. My kids are so resistant to having to type assignments because they don't regularly use computers, so they're kind of afraid of them. I'm really worried what's going to happen when all our standardized tests go computer-based, because students who OUGHT to pass will end up failing because of their tech handicap.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Bank Holiday tomorrow so I must get drunk. I'm attempting to have drink number 4. I feel this is going to be a disaster and I will be hugging the toilet tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

DarthCupcake wrote:

Lavawitch, I hear you on the lack of preparation--I'm worried about the same thing with my teenagers. Everyone just ASSUMES that kids are growing up with unlimited technology and subsequent tech-savvy, but it's so not true. My kids are so resistant to having to type assignments because they don't regularly use computers, so they're kind of afraid of them. I'm really worried what's going to happen when all our standardized tests go computer-based, because students who OUGHT to pass will end up failing because of their tech handicap.

Connecticut is transitioning to a computer based assessment (I think the school I'm interning at is using Smarter Balanced now) and this is a really big concern in the elementary grades as well.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

DarthCupcake wrote:

Yes! This has happened with our new state math tests the past two years. Scores dropped to the basement, but on the retake a week later, lots of kids did ok. They had trouble understanding how to manipulate the test, and these are kids who are in a relatively privaleged school district with access to lots of computers! I use a laptop set in my classes, and my students can do fine with basics, but if anything goes slightly awry, they are stuck. Some kids are savvy, but many are just robot users following learned steps. We really need to be teaching computer science to some degree.

My typical GED student is older, probably doesn't own a fancy smart phone (though perhaps half do), and has had limited opportunity to become co for table with computers/technology. They don't work in jobs that require these skills (construction, child care, retail, health care assistants, etc) or provide the opportunity to learn them. They don't have the disposable income to pay a monthly Internet bill, even if they could budget in a computer.

Ideally, the adult Ed programs help with that, and we do offer some free computer classes, but not everybody has the time to take them, and our offerings are limited and rely on volunteer instructors. We can easily find volunteer literacy instructors, but computer volunteers are hard to find. I'd do it if I could, but can't handle a third weeknight class with my schedule. Also, we don't have flexible scheduling because the computer labs we can use are in school buildings, with limited availability that doesn't fit the schedule of most people who work.

I'm really scared how many of these students will handle the new tests. They haven't been normalized* yet, so we have no idea how scoring will end up, but on top of being significant harder, requiring significantly stronger reading and comprehension skills throughout all subjects, the computer aspect will add a barrier. As an example, in some problems, the popup tools block parts of the problem. A student must know to move the windows around and/or how to close and reopen them.

* since they are normalizing them based on current high school students, it might not be too bad. I know that many of my high school students would struggle to pass the current GED, must less the new, more rigorous version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

interrobang?! wrote:
It's forking freezing and pissing it down and I'm soaked to the bloody skin but I don't even care because I'm on my way (if the bus ever turns up) to see forking Suede at the forking Barrowlands!! Somebody pinch me! Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I am so jealous and happy about this at the same time. Come back and tell us EVERYTHING. <3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

interrobang?! wrote:

A work colleague saw them in our town on Wednesday and said they were forking awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Mediocre Tart

zwingtip wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

I am so jealous and happy about this at the same time. Come back and tell us EVERYTHING. <3

I logged in special just to tell you about it :) OMG OMG OMG, that was the greatest I have EVER seen them (and you know I've seen them a bunch!) AMAZING!!! They played Still Life(!), Asphalt World(!!), The Drowners, Metal Mickey, New Generation, Killing of a Flashboy, Trash, Beautiful Ones, Filmstar... and, and, and... I forget. Basically everything you would hope. Brett spent half the gig down at the pit (soaked to the skin in a white shirt split almost to the navel- hello!) holding people's hands, and the rest jumping madly in the air off the monitors and shimmying his hips and swinging the mic everywhere as is his way. What a guy. It. Was. SPECTACULAR. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. It was so worth almost drowning in the street on the way there and back. And then some.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Oh, if the local library is part of a consortium, they might have access to something like LearningExpressLibrary that has ebooks and practice tests for a lot of different tests, including the GED.

Our GED and ASVAB books are checked out and never returned. It happens like clockwork every year. The few copies that are returned end up with long wait lists.

Lavawitch, I think buying $160 worth of books is a little beyond what you should be doing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:23 pm 
Cranky

Vantine wrote:
Dr. Apricot wrote:
Oh, if the local library is part of a consortium, they might have access to something like LearningExpressLibrary that has ebooks and practice tests for a lot of different tests, including the GED.

Our GED and ASVAB books are checked out and never returned. It happens like clockwork every year. The few copies that are returned end up with long wait lists.

Lavawitch, I think buying $160 worth of books is a little beyond what you should be doing.

Yeah, I was going to add that ours were always stolen, which is why the databases are a better bet if you have consistent internet access. Even our reference copies were stolen!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I agree, however, I am not coming up with any other alternatives. I've got 8 students who were supposed to get books and don't have them. We give books after 30 hours, and they have over 60.

This has really been stressing me out. I've exhausted my other resources and need practice tests for them. This is only an issue because I'd have to give stuff up to buy them. If I could do it without that, I wouldn't care and would have ordered them ages ago. This probably really makes me selfish, like I'd rather buy myself a lipgloss than - book or two for my students, but so be it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

It's not selfish to not want to use your own money to buy course books for other people! It sounds like you massively care about these students and are making a lot of effort for them, but it's not fair the place you're working isn't providing proper resources, and you shoudn't have to foot the bill yourself! How much is each book? Is there any way students could club together and share?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

interrobang?! wrote:
zwingtip wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

I logged in special just to tell you about it :) OMG OMG OMG, that was the greatest I have EVER seen them (and you know I've seen them a bunch!) AMAZING!!! They played Still Life(!), Asphalt World(!!), The Drowners, Metal Mickey, New Generation, Killing of a Flashboy, Trash, Beautiful Ones, Filmstar... and, and, and... I forget. Basically everything you would hope. Brett spent half the gig down at the pit (soaked to the skin in a white shirt split almost to the navel- hello!) holding people's hands, and the rest jumping madly in the air off the monitors and shimmying his hips and swinging the mic everywhere as is his way. What a guy. It. Was. SPECTACULAR. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. It was so worth almost drowning in the street on the way there and back. And then some.

Reading this is legitimately the best thing about my day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
I agree, however, I am not coming up with any other alternatives. I've got 8 students who were supposed to get books and don't have them. We give books after 30 hours, and they have over 60.

This has really been stressing me out. I've exhausted my other resources and need practice tests for them. This is only an issue because I'd have to give stuff up to buy them. If I could do it without that, I wouldn't care and would have ordered them ages ago. This probably really makes me selfish, like I'd rather buy myself a lipgloss than - book or two for my students, but so be it.

It's not selfish, it's necessary. If we make so many sacrifices that we can't ever enjoy life, that's how burnout happens! (That's what happening to me.)

I give kids money for bus fare after school, I buy books for my classroom, I buy printing supplies so that they can print work in my classroom, but there's always MORE that they want from me/that I could be giving. And at some point, you have to draw to the line and recognize that you have needs and you aren't defined purely by being a teacher-of-endless-giving. It's not sustainable, and it prevents you from enjoying life outside of work. As has been said, you work SO HARD for your students and give so much! You are amazing, and they are lucky.

Get your lipgloss and enjoy it. You deserve to be treated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The lipgloss was rhetorical, but I am going to get another iPad, fiscal responsibility be damned. It's probably the only thing that makes me happy.

I'm also going to get my hair cut/colored next Friday. I'm going to splurge on that big time since I only ever do it once a year, if that. My hair has been awful since spring. I tried making an appointment for when I got paid on the 1st, but the stylist keeps fully booked, so I've been impatiently waiting.

I'm too ridiculous to do anything with the style, but I'm deciding on color. Either dark red or a darker brown with some purple. I want something dramatic. I like what I did last year and I trust this stylist/colorist, so I'll tell her to go for it.

Darth, you do way more for your students than I do. I refuse to spend money on classroom stuff for the most part. I keep snacks around for kids who are hungry, but I consider that just being a decent human being who doesn't want kids with rumbly tummies! I do not provide tissues or pencils or hand sanitizer. We are fortunate in that most of our classroom needs are covered. We get paper and toner without limit, though someone might say something if it was abused. We try to do things electronically as possible anyway.

GED is kind of a different thing though because adult Ed funding is a joke. We struggle and write 10 grants for every penny that we get.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Paper and toner without limit? That's crazy! No wait...that is how it should be! I have to beg borrow and steal paper and toner at my school.

Maybe you could copy the GED books since you have the paper hookup. (I know, copyright laws, be damned.) I have sooooooooo many pencils. If a ppker needs pencils I might be able to work something out. I don't use pencils, but a shiitake ton get donated every year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I dont have copy machine access to do that. People would wonder why I'm copying math stuff. (different schools/districts for my day job and GED)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 am 

Oooh, post pictures when you get your hair done! I'm hoping to get my annual trim/fix up the style this December, and I kind of want to do something fun with the color, but I'm going to spend Christmas with the bf's family and since we're starting to do the "we will probably get married" talk, I don't want them to be horrified (they are pretty traditional and so on). So I think I will do color myself after New Year or something. But hair cut is exciting!

I LOVE the idea of purple! If you go for that, pictures are a must!

I feel like I don't do enough for my kids, even though I know I do so much more than most teachers at my school. Still, it feels like they're constantly getting the shiitake end of the stick, and there just isn't enough I can do to make up for it.

Have you considered DonorsChoose for GED books? I imagine you have, but if you haven't, do it, and I will publicize the hell out of it. I have a lot of friends in Silicon Valley who feel better about being part of the 1% by donating (they have honestly said that to me; I am not putting words in their mouths!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You guys. Remember when I stole a cat? Now I seem to have lost a cat. I mean, I KNOW she is here in our apartment somewhere, but I can't find her anywhere and our apartment is NOT very big. We are considering adopting her so we had a trial run last night. She was definitely a hider and Puddy was being a bossypants jerk, but I have no idea where she is. We just tore our apartment apart. There's no way she got out so she has to be here and I am so mad staring at Puddy who clearly must know where she is but is just sitting there all smug like she ate her or something.

How do I get the cat to show herself? I've tried little plates of wet food, shaking treats, etc. I am getting really worried but I have to keep telling myself that there is no way she could escape.

And I woke up in the middle of the night to look for her and then I found out Lou Reed died and I had a morning dream where Lou Reed and I were looking for Smoky (soon to be renamed Leonard Cohen if (WHEN) I find her!) and just woke up confused and sad and now I have a meeting with my boss in an hour but I can't focus on that because there is a MISSING CAT in my apartment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 am 

OKAY I just heard a meow that wasn't a Puddy meow. I still can't find her!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
I am an adult! My husband and I were approved for a mortgage! Now I can have 17 cats. And a big-ass bill for the next 25 years, but no more rent!

Adding to the crazyawesome frenzy here of congratulations!

Also, Thurston used to hide like Puddy--so well, I couldn't find him. (I mean, I seriously couldn't! there's still a place in my apartment he used to hide in and I still have no idea where that was because I've looked everywhere and he'd be nowhere to be found! It's still a bit of a mystery.) Anyway, at least you can pin down the general location of the unfamiliar meow and stake out that region now. Good luck! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 am 

Puddy isn't a hider. She is sitting like the big boss on top of the fridge while Leonard Cohen hides in fear. I don't know what to do! I actually considered that Puddy ate her. Crazy, I know, but Puddy has been puking all night and she never pukes. Cats are such crassholes! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH.

<3 Thanks for the congrats! Given that my apartment that I will soon own (as in, in 25 years I'll own it) is now covered in cat puke stains, the mortgage comes at a good time. I hope that in 25 years cat puke stains are in vogue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:30 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We had a hider. I thought we lost her for about two days once. She was wedged behind the couch in a tiny ball.

Good luck.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Can you figure out if there is a room she is definitely not in and shut Puddy in there for a bit to see if she'll come out?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 am 
Dead by dawn

My first kitty tore a little hole in the flimsy fabric on the bottom of my mom's boxspring and would crawl up inside it and perch on the wooden slats. We'd never have found here there if it weren't for fhe dog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1603, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1607, 1608, 1609 ... 1872  Next