| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1606, 1607, 1608, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1612 ... 1828  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8162
Location: Philly/London
I can't believe this hasn't been properly explained yet.

NOODLING, TO NOODLE. v.



"Your arm's the noodle."

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8384
Location: Maryland/DC area
Oh and speaking of this discussion, a group of us (work people) are going out tomorrow and the comment made by the person coordinating is that because we need a place that is vegan friendly for me, we can't go to the Italian restaurant... I don't know why they think Italian isn't vegan friendly and I looked at the menu, it looks fine to me.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:56 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3135
Location: Ireland
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Last week I heard news that a semi-homeless schizophrenic guy who is sort of a regular at our office (some of the attorneys have done pro bono appearances for civil disobedience stuff he does) was hit by a train earlier this month and lost half a leg. We're discussing it at work and someone pointed out to me that if you Google his name, a man by the exact same name (including same spelling) was struck and killed by a train across the country in PA exactly two weeks later.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.


That is seriously strange!!!! Hope the guy will be ok and get the support he needs to recover.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 1982
Location: NYC/Schenectady, NY
linanil wrote:
Oh and speaking of this discussion, a group of us (work people) are going out tomorrow and the comment made by the person coordinating is that because we need a place that is vegan friendly for me, we can't go to the Italian restaurant... I don't know why they think Italian isn't vegan friendly and I looked at the menu, it looks fine to me.


I went for Italian food recently and all the pasta was made with egg. I ended up having broccoli with marinara, made specially and lots of bread.

_________________
If a milkshake is going to change the world then it should be at least be an Oreo one. - daisychain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5368
Location: BRLA
Some blog I read went on a "you're wasting your time watching YouTube!" rant and it really pissed me off. What is everyone's obsession with not wasting time? And EVERYONE wastes time. I know for damn sure the hour I waste on YouTube is by far not the least enjoyable time wasting hour of my day. I waste the day at work. I waste the day driving home. I waste the day watching YouTube and showering and cooking and eating. Who cares. Who forking cares. I'll waste the whole goddamn thing if I want to! I'm an adult and I'm pretty sure I've wasted every hour I've been alive so far SO GET OFF MY NUTS

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9985
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
There is a really stupid restaurant in my hotel (White Spot, for Western Canada dwellers) and seriously nothing affordable to order in, even though this is one of the best food cities in the world (Vancouver)! Ugh. I think I will putter down to White Spot for an angry boring salad and I will do it wearing my pyjama pants. Christ, this is the birthplace of lululemon so at least THAT should be accepted.

I did buy a beyond meat "chicken" salad from Whole Foods for dinner but it is disgusting. I guess this should go in the adgjahsdkywuiqywuid problems thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4808
Location: WV
blondiefk wrote:
linanil wrote:
Oh and speaking of this discussion, a group of us (work people) are going out tomorrow and the comment made by the person coordinating is that because we need a place that is vegan friendly for me, we can't go to the Italian restaurant... I don't know why they think Italian isn't vegan friendly and I looked at the menu, it looks fine to me.


I went for Italian food recently and all the pasta was made with egg. I ended up having broccoli with marinara, made specially and lots of bread.


Yeah, this. The same thing happened with me at an Italian place recently, but luckily the spinach linguine didn't have egg, so I could have some of that. (Too bad they ruined it with giantly cut, uncooked vegetables.) I know a lot of cheap pasta doesn't have eggs in it, but most people assume that all pasta does. It took months of explaining and label showing to my (Italian) dude to convince him that you don't have to have eggs in pasta.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:07 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 am
Posts: 914
My parents made plans to come visit me for thanksgiving a few months ago. A few weeks ago, my partner's brother and his girlfriend asked if they could come for thanksgiving too, and we said sure, as long as you're ok with it being a tight fit. Now today my sister texted me 17 times (I counted) to ask if she can also come. I was at work but when I had a chance to respond, I said sorry, if you had asked earlier it would have been fine but now there are too many people. She just called me and yelled at me a out how I'm the worst person ever and now she's never going to visit me again. There really is no other context here except that whenever she calls or texts me it has to be a ton of times in a row and can never be just one civilized text. She's the ridiculous one and I'm not actually a horrible person, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:19 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5368
Location: BRLA
All of that is weird. Especially the part where people ask if they can come over for thanksgiving. I hope that's not a thing people start doing to me ever.

I'd ignore anyone who texted me 17 times without an answer on principle. That's a motherforking game.

So I think I'm a horrible person and you're safe for now.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
mooo wrote:
My parents made plans to come visit me for thanksgiving a few months ago. A few weeks ago, my partner's brother and his girlfriend asked if they could come for thanksgiving too, and we said sure, as long as you're ok with it being a tight fit. Now today my sister texted me 17 times (I counted) to ask if she can also come. I was at work but when I had a chance to respond, I said sorry, if you had asked earlier it would have been fine but now there are too many people. She just called me and yelled at me a out how I'm the worst person ever and now she's never going to visit me again. There really is no other context here except that whenever she calls or texts me it has to be a ton of times in a row and can never be just one civilized text. She's the ridiculous one and I'm not actually a horrible person, right?

The correct response on her part would have been "okay. I hope you have a great time and let's get together soon!" That's all. She was way out of line and I'd be tempted to take her up on that whole never-visiting-again thing.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:25 pm 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm
Posts: 942
Location: Baltimore
mooo wrote:
My parents made plans to come visit me for thanksgiving a few months ago. A few weeks ago, my partner's brother and his girlfriend asked if they could come for thanksgiving too, and we said sure, as long as you're ok with it being a tight fit. Now today my sister texted me 17 times (I counted) to ask if she can also come. I was at work but when I had a chance to respond, I said sorry, if you had asked earlier it would have been fine but now there are too many people. She just called me and yelled at me a out how I'm the worst person ever and now she's never going to visit me again. There really is no other context here except that whenever she calls or texts me it has to be a ton of times in a row and can never be just one civilized text. She's the ridiculous one and I'm not actually a horrible person, right?


Yes, texting someone 17 times in a row to ask the same question is ridiculous. But why can't she come for Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is, for me, about family and being with people and also about sharing what you have and spreading the love. Unless you already have trouble feeding yourself and you really can't afford to feed someone else or you live in a really tiny apartment. Or your sister has been rude or selfish towards you lately. I don't know.

You're not being a horrible people. She seems to be acting immature, but I don't know the situation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
Gosh, I dunno, but I'd be really hurt if my sister said I couldn't come to a family event when the rest of the family were invited. Is there a very strong reason for you not wanting her there, cos from what you posted it sounds a bit like you don't want her to mess up your table layout - and that does sound a little bit jerky. What's the bigger context?

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:54 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I so so so didn't want to go to school today, so I stayed home. I was home yesterday as well, because I was moving. I just want to unpack and be done with this huge, stressful thing so I can focus on schoolwork, which would be impossible with all the things I need to do.

But I am LOVING living with my boyfriend!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1475
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Ruby Rose wrote:
Gosh, I dunno, but I'd be really hurt if my sister said I couldn't come to a family event when the rest of the family were invited. Is there a very strong reason for you not wanting her there, cos from what you posted it sounds a bit like you don't want her to mess up your table layout - and that does sound a little bit jerky. What's the bigger context?


I have to say that I agree. I don't know if there is a bigger context about your relationship with your sister, mooo, or if Thanksgiving is typically not a family thing or a big deal in your family, but if one of my siblings was hosting a family gathering and told me I couldn't come, I would feel really rejected and hurt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:06 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9985
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Hi PPK! I'm up insanely early ready to fly to Boston. I've never been to Boston! I am excited. Oh and I just realized my passport expires in seven days. shiitake. But I will return on November 4th so they won't give me shiitake at the border, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:12 am 
Online
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4032
Location: Toronto, ON
vijita wrote:
Hi PPK! I'm up insanely early ready to fly to Boston. I've never been to Boston! I am excited. Oh and I just realized my passport expires in seven days. shiitake. But I will return on November 4th so they won't give me shiitake at the border, right?


They might remind you that it expires soon but if you have your return ticket booked and it's clearly before the expiry date I don't see why they would give you grief. Note, I'm not a border agent, nor do I fully understand their thought processes 100% of the time.

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:17 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8384
Location: Maryland/DC area
lobsteriffic wrote:
vijita wrote:
Hi PPK! I'm up insanely early ready to fly to Boston. I've never been to Boston! I am excited. Oh and I just realized my passport expires in seven days. shiitake. But I will return on November 4th so they won't give me shiitake at the border, right?


They might remind you that it expires soon but if you have your return ticket booked and it's clearly before the expiry date I don't see why they would give you grief. Note, I'm not a border agent, nor do I fully understand their thought processes 100% of the time.


Some countries will not let you in if your passport expires within 6 months of entry. It appears that the US is one of those countries BUT it seems like there are certain citizens that are exempt including Canadian citizens. You might get some grief due to that but as long as you show a return flight prior to your passport expiring, you should be ok.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 am 
Offline
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 3313
Location: idontevenknowanymore
yeah! the six-months validity thing is usually a problem. I have < 6 months left on my US visa so I'm nervous for next time I enter. good luck!

_________________
reap/sow, risk/reward


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4808
Location: WV
aelle wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:
Gosh, I dunno, but I'd be really hurt if my sister said I couldn't come to a family event when the rest of the family were invited. Is there a very strong reason for you not wanting her there, cos from what you posted it sounds a bit like you don't want her to mess up your table layout - and that does sound a little bit jerky. What's the bigger context?


I have to say that I agree. I don't know if there is a bigger context about your relationship with your sister, mooo, or if Thanksgiving is typically not a family thing or a big deal in your family, but if one of my siblings was hosting a family gathering and told me I couldn't come, I would feel really rejected and hurt.


I was torn about this, but generally I agree with Ruby Rose and aelle. I would be so freaking annoyed if a family member texted me that many times about something (unless it was an emergency), but I'd also squeeze someone in if they wanted to come to Thanksgiving. Granted, it is annoying for people to invite themselves, but those big family holidays can do weird things to people. Also, all families interact differently, so who knows what your dynamic is! I just know that in my family, even if it meant someone would be stuck perching on the edge of the coffee table, if they wanted to come, I'd be expected to make room. (Not that I'd love it, but...that's my family dynamic.)

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:45 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7713
Location: Brasil
i'm reading about being on the antarctic research stations for winters and people getting "three-quarters syndrome"- basically going mental when they are 3/4 through their tour. coincidentally, we are nearing 2/3 of our own bizarro tour here in the US and the parallels are striking. I wonder if I'm going to end up locking myself in my room with a stash of canned goods and only stumbling out in January with matted hair and unseeing eyes.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am 
Offline
ugh
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 2623
Location: north of Boston, MA, USA
Can't we give mooo the benefit of the doubt and assume that if she says there isn't room then there probably isn't enough room? I mean, she already said it would be a tight fit to add her partner's brother and his girlfriend. I can totally understand being disappointed but surely her sister can make plans to visit on another day rather than sending a million texts and then refusing to visit again ever.

_________________

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 9985
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I am in the US! Well, not really. I'm in Vancouver and I just bought a chai latte with twoonies. But they let me in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 am 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5368
Location: BRLA
I wouldn't really see two people from each side "the whole family" - because for me that's like 1/20th of the family, but yeah if she really wouldn't have anywhere else to go it might be a little mean. I just assume everyone has the overwhelming bevy of familial options that I have. The idea of someone pestering to go a particular family thanksgiving is foreign to me.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2592
Location: England
b.vicious wrote:
Can't we give mooo the benefit of the doubt and assume that if she says there isn't room then there probably isn't enough room? I mean, she already said it would be a tight fit to add her partner's brother and his girlfriend. I can totally understand being disappointed but surely her sister can make plans to visit on another day rather than sending a million texts and then refusing to visit again ever.


We can and we do but having asked for an opinion I assume she wants a real one? I wouldn't sent 17 texts but I'd also be incredibly hurt if my family were getting together like this and I was told I couldn't come.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6547
Location: Modesto, CA
Is this creepy:

Last night in a ckd (cat kidney disease) group I was sharing my love and sadness over Mar. This women posted some nice things and said she was from CA. I saw she was an hour away, said thank you (and going on a bit about grief) and pointed out that I was only an hour away. She comes back and asks me my age, tells me her age, something about that set off a red flag. I told my boyfriend that and he said I was overreacting - I tend to get paranoid.
I check FB this morning and she has went through my photos (some albums are public) and has changed her profile to a picture of Mar. I find this forking wrong and really creepy. I do not know how to respond.

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1606, 1607, 1608, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1612 ... 1828  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Squeak and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer