| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1618, 1619, 1620, 1621, 1622, 1623, 1624 ... 1872  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

missdelaney wrote:
I went to apply for an apartment yesterday that- since my parents agreed to loan me money for school- was easily affordable, but a requirement of application and lease-signing was the rent was less than 35% of your income. 35%!!! I know very few people who spend less than 35% of their income on rent.

I wonder if this is becoming more popular? My son is looking for a place and knows he can do about 40 to 45% of his income in rent. But most places are saying the 35% is the requirement. And a couple have said that the total rent should be that even with roommates. And these are not the luxury places either.

It baffles me that there are these restrictions in a town with so many vacancies in rentals right now. Apartments are staying empty for months and houses are so cheap, it is likely they will stay that way. (Of course there are no jobs here right now either)

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

places around here tend to want you to make 40 times the rent annually, and that makes it almost impossible for most people i know to live without roommates, even though they make decent money. my rent on my one-bedroom is pretty close to half of my average after-tax income. but my income is well above minimum wage, and my rent isn't far from what a lot of people pay for 100 square feet in a shared apartment in other parts of the city, so i guess i still don't know how "normal" people do it. it doesn't help that the taxes are ridiculous here. in addition to the ny state tax, which is high, you have to pay a city tax if you live within the five boroughs (about 3%). in massachusetts i was making about the same salary and paying more in rent, but i had so much more money in my account. like, hundreds more every month.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:06 pm 
WRETCHED

kfad wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
I went to apply for an apartment yesterday that- since my parents agreed to loan me money for school- was easily affordable, but a requirement of application and lease-signing was the rent was less than 35% of your income. 35%!!! I know very few people who spend less than 35% of their income on rent.

I wonder if this is becoming more popular? My son is looking for a place and knows he can do about 40 to 45% of his income in rent. But most places are saying the 35% is the requirement. And a couple have said that the total rent should be that even with roommates. And these are not the luxury places either.

It baffles me that there are these restrictions in a town with so many vacancies in rentals right now. Apartments are staying empty for months and houses are so cheap, it is likely they will stay that way. (Of course there are no jobs here right now either)

35% was pretty common when I rented in Colorado and California. Californian apartments also stuck it to you to require first and last months rent plus a security deposit equal to rent so you needed $3k just to move in.

Last edited by linanil on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Oh and you don't have to have cars, I guess. That probably makes it work better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:11 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

well, it does and it doesn't. if you have to ride a train or a bus twice a day to get to and from work, you have to budget at least $100 a month for transportation, plus extra for anywhere you want to go aside from straight to work and straight home. i'm out of touch with gas prices, but that's the same as car insurance. and i'm not even thinking about cab rides, which are beyond extravagant in my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I pay like $1200/year for car insurance...gas prices are like $2.95/gal right now which is low, but I drive an hour each way so if I took out all the extra driving it would be like $1200/year for gas too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

missdelaney wrote:
Mars wrote:
Yeah, as far as rent goes, we're pretty lucky in Portland. But I guess we must get paid less generally too? Cause otherwise I don't understand how people could even physically make that kind of high rent happen.

Oregon has the second highest minimum wage in the country. Washington has the highest. At least, as of last year.

Oregon also have a very high underemployment rate--17% last year. A high minimum wage doesn't help much if you can only find part-time, if any, work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:31 pm 
WRETCHED

And I'll admit that I've been lucky, but my first apartment after graduating college was the most expensive place I've lived relative to my income and the rent was 23% if my income.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Ruby Rose wrote:
Well done, baps! A courageous step, and the right one. Making space in your life for the good things to start flowing in.

Yes! Onward!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Fee wrote:
I've always been baffled as to how normal people afford to rent in NYC. Someone explain it to me.

People who make low wages move out to less fancy neighborhoods and live with roommates, in some cases multiple roommates in a place that should only be for 2 people. As neighborhoods gentrify, they continue to move farther out to avoid the rent increases. Lots of people pay a huge percent of their income for the rent and really scrimp on things like food. There are also a lot of "bad" neighborhoods where your rent will be cheaper but you might not have steady heat or water or not live in a building up to code. A lot of stuff in NYC is done under the table and in cash, so it's possible to find a way to live it just might not be easy. And some people will bounce from residence to residence as they can't pay the rent and get evicted. Lots of people also work more than 1 job to make ends meet.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Holy crepe. Prison cells in Denmark are more luxurious than those NYC rooms. I'm not even kidding. You get your own room with a TV and a fridge and a bed and a desk and a closet and stuff like that.

http://cphpost.dk/sites/default/files/s ... ll_web.jpg
http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/module ... _0_0_0.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:00 pm 
Impressive boner

It appears there's a large Guy Fawkes mask wearing protest happening outside parliament right now and it's not being televised.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ahhh y'all are reading my mind about this NYC apartment nonsense, as I'm currently searching and being jerked around by various owners and realtors. Yep 40X the rent is absolutely standard at this point apparently, even though I'm looking in un-hipper parts of the city. And for the love of christ, I'd say 80% of the apartments are NO PETS, even cats. We're having a hard time, no doubt because we have 2 little kids and are thus being a little more choosy than I've ever been, but I feel even worse for our neighbors (we're all being evicted) who have 2 pit bulls and 5 cats. They are forked and it's just not fair.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:09 pm 
WRETCHED

That is insane. I've read some stuff about Hong Kong and it even seems worse than NYC. They have apartments that have been super sub divided and basically only fit a bed, no running water or anything. My current area isn't that bad but there are a lot of places near me that the average person cannot afford. My city is one of the most affordable places in my county to live but still way to pricey for some working minimum wage jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:48 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Fee wrote:
Oh and you don't have to have cars, I guess. That probably makes it work better.

Yeah, it definitely does. I pay $112/month for an unlimited metro card + occasional cabs (<$50/month) + a rental car a few times a year ($200-$300). But no monthly car/insurance payments, no maintenance, no registration etc...
I don't think it makes up for the crazy rent, but it's nice not to have to worry about a car.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

smoothie wrote:
Holy crepe. Prison cells in Denmark are more luxurious than those NYC rooms. I'm not even kidding. You get your own room with a TV and a fridge and a bed and a desk and a closet and stuff like that.

http://cphpost.dk/sites/default/files/s ... ll_web.jpg
http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/module ... _0_0_0.jpg

whoa. those look like the rooms at the nursing home where I work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Holy crepe. We pay just over $800/month for a spacious 2-bdrm with a huge balcony. We lived in horribly dumpy basement apartments with no windows in Toronto for a lot more than that a month, and yet even that is a steal compared to some NYC places. I really couldn't do it, as much as I love NYC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've always wanted to live in NYC, even just for a year, but the prices kept me away. I don't do so well with roommates, and I really don't do well with crappy landlords. I can't imagine ever making enough money to not have to deal with those two things, so I guess it'll just have to be a vacation city for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My husband and I were SO SURE we were going to move to NYC after we visited for our honeymoon. But then we started apartment hunting. Our smallest place we've ever lived in together was 1400 sqft, and it was packed full of stuff. The last place we rented was a three bedroom, 2200 sqft house, shared with a roommate, and it was $1650, divided three ways, which is probably less than what we'd pay for a small apartment in New York. We already knew we'd have to get rid of a lot of belongings, but it was looking like we'd have to get rid of more than we could keep, and we have three animals, one of which is a border collie mix who needs to be able to expend energy frequently. Decided it was more reasonable for us to live in Nashville with lots of space and spending money, and just visit NYC as often as possible, which hasn't happened again yet, but someday!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think it's been hard for me to find a balance between stuff I want surrounding me and cost of living. I don't think I have found my "perfect" place to live yet.

Chicago isn't crazy expensive for rent (it can be expensive if you live in certain neighborhoods) but food and gas and the sales tax seem expensive to me. Every time I visit my parents in Montana where there's no sales tax and stuff is really cheap I'm like, "THIS IS A MAGICAL WONDERLAND" but I don't think I could live without certain things I'm used to here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Today I am just tired of people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I always wanted to live in NYC for some time, too. I pay 400 euro rent for one room at the moment (550 US dollar) and I couldn't pay any more. When I tried to find a room in Copenhagen it was insane. Everything I found was insanely expensive, 1000 euros + . But I was really lucky and through connections I found a woman who got rid of her "painting room" for 6 months and I only payed 150-200 euros a month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:14 am 
Impressive boner

We pay £550 per month ($885 or 655 euros) between two of us for a large three bedroom house. Nottingham isn't a bad city by any stretch and the area we live in may not be the most desirable but it's not bad.

When I lived in London I paid £350 per month for my share in a tiny two bedroom flat on the edge of East Dulwich. If you stood in a certain part of the bathroom you could smell the downstairs neighbours cooking their dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:48 am 
Ninja Master

8ball wrote:
We pay £550 per month ($885 or 655 euros) between two of us for a large three bedroom house. Nottingham isn't a bad city by any stretch and the area we live in may not be the most desirable but it's not bad.

Holy crepe, really? I used to pay £700 for my one bedroom flat. Surrey is really forking expensive.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 am 
Impressive boner

I guess there must be a lot of commuters wanting to live in that area. Nottingham seems to have a lasting reputation for gun crime so the prices stay low, relatively speaking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1618, 1619, 1620, 1621, 1622, 1623, 1624 ... 1872  Next