| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1633, 1634, 1635, 1636, 1637, 1638, 1639 ... 1858  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My mom made tofu scramble (she often does on a day when I work both jobs so am gone all day until 10pm). I can't eat it. I'm super hungry, but this is just so gross, I can't eat anymore. It's so sweet tasting that I can't even taste the spices (VWAV). Is the Tofu Plus stuff really this awful, or is it me being weird today? I kept trying to eat just another bite, but reached my wall. Ick.

I've never met a tofu scramble that I didn't love before.

Need to diplomatically dispose of this so she doesn't feel bad or that her efforts were wasted or not appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yesterday my aunt posted a thing about a movie called The Christmas Candle that claimed that only 500 theaters around the US were showing it because, as a film with a pro-Xian message, it's too risky. After checking IMDb, I suspect that it's too risky because it's just forking awful (the most recognisable name is Susan Boyle*, and the premise just looks terrible). Well, it turns out that the production company that made the film is owned (at least in part) by Rick Santorum.

*There are other recognisable actors (e.g., John Hannah and Sylvester McCoy), but I suspect she's the most recognisable to most people.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

It's a sad forking world where Susan forking Boyle is more recognisible than John Hannah or Sylvester McCoy. Mind, if it is as you say, I don't want to know who those people are anymore. Boo!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Today the scariest thing happened. I went with the head of the rescue to pick up two cats from the shelter. We took a cab to her house and were walking from the corner when the box I'm carrying breaks and the cat explodes out. He took of down the street with us tearing after him. He almost got hit by a car then ran under a car where she was able to crawl under and grab him by the scruff. (We don't like to scruff but desperate times etc.) my heart was pounding! We're SO lucky he didn't go farther and faster. We never would have gotten him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mollyjade wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
something uncool about work. i feel guilty for getting super frustrated with one of my patients. i'm sure she's had a hard life, but she's super manipulative and i give her pretty much anything she wants because there's no real reason she can't eat what she wants. i also spend a lot of time just listening to her tell me about her life, which i really don't mind. i like talking to my patients, but she's so incredibly ungrateful. I know I shouldn't expect her to thank me, but i pay way more attention to her than most people would and i go out of my way to help her out and she just complains about it. today she said she wanted to get a fruit cup at lunch, so i said i'd add it to her menu and i happened to have one in my pocket (pears), so i gave it to her and she said "well, i don't really like pears, but i'll take it because i have nothing else." another time i gave her a pair of slippers that i had been given as a gift but didn't need because she was complaining that hers were falling apart. she said "i don't know if i like these, but i have to try them for a few weeks to find out." i got so frustrated and was pretty short with her and said "you're welcome!" i felt like such a crasshole. i don't expect thanks for just doing my job, but sometimes the amount of no thanks i get really gets to me. there are other people that i hardly do anything for and they are super appreciative. those people are few and far between, but it's nice.

You don't owe her anything, but for your own sake you might think of it as making her happy by giving her something to complain about. She's obviously getting *something* out of complaining about everything.

And completely unrelated literary reference, this reminds me of the Pollyanna books where the old lady complains every time someone brings her something to eat. So one day Pollyanna brings all of the food so that when the woman says, "Oh, you brought chicken noodle soup? I was really hoping for jello" she can bring out the secret stash of jello at which point the old woman feels like a jerk and turns into a happier version of herself. (real life wouldn't work this way)

haha. i like that scenario! that's a good point, mj. she probably does just like having someone to listen to her complain and something to complain about.

tonight was the thanksgiving celebration (they do it early so that family members can make it) and it renewed my faith in everything. the complainers were still complaining, but they had fun despite themselves. everyone was really happy and it was super fun for them to have a really nice meal outside of their normal routine.

and thanks for all your earlier replies everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

people need to understand minimum wage does not = living wage.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My company is being bought out, which means good for us and not bad.
Also I am very hungry today and can't seem to fill up no matter what I do. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

lavawitch wrote:
My mom made tofu scramble (she often does on a day when I work both jobs so am gone all day until 10pm). I can't eat it. I'm super hungry, but this is just so gross, I can't eat anymore. It's so sweet tasting that I can't even taste the spices (VWAV). Is the Tofu Plus stuff really this awful, or is it me being weird today? I kept trying to eat just another bite, but reached my wall. Ick.

I've never met a tofu scramble that I didn't love before.

Need to diplomatically dispose of this so she doesn't feel bad or that her efforts were wasted or not appreciated.

That is super weird. I've bought the Tofu Plus stuff on occasion when it was on sale. I usually try to stock up on Trader Joe's because it's so much cheaper. But the Tofu Pus tasted exactly like the regular Natsoya to me. Did your mom add anything sweet such as: lots of carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, mirin, hoisin sauce, sherry, or maybe mistook sugar for salt?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Don't think so. She ended up finding it as peculiar as I did, so we tossed it. It did have two carrots, but we eat this every week.

Maybe we got a strange batch. She said it looked and smelled normal. I'm envisioning some poor tofu neophyte tasting it and being scarred for life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The HFS I just started working at is located inside a huge drug store (think Walgreen's, but locally owned with only 3 stores). They had me train on the cash register in the regular part of the store for my first night and it was really weird. The register part itself was really easy and self explanatory, and goodness it is a heck of a lot easier to be nice to customers when you only see them for a minute or two and your wage doesn't depend on it (unlike waiting tables). But the regular drugstore workers were just...I dunno. Not my type of people. Like, they kept calling each other 'shiitake head' and laughing about how overweight they were and telling me who was a bisque ('But just ignore her!') and who was a weirdo ('He doesn't mean to be so offensive.') and they were just kind of generally goofing off. The HFS section people I've encountered have always been much more reserved and always seem to be busy actually doing something, so I'm happy to be going back there today! I mean, I can be goofy and friendly and whatever, but it takes me a long time to warm up to people, and I like to work while I'm at work. At one point, I had been standing around just waiting on people to check out and I asked the head cashier if there was something I could or should be doing. She told me, 'Nahh, you're training! Enjoy the free time!' And I'm thinking, 'Lady, I've been working since 10am at 2 other jobs, the last thing I want to do for the next 4 hours is stand around counting down the clock...give me something to do!' They probably think I'm a big stick in the mud. Oh, bonus: One guy (the 'weirdo') opened a bag of chocolate covered pretzels he was stocking ('We have to try them! They're new!') and they offered me one. I asked what they were, they told me and I said, 'No thanks, I'm vegan.' And the head cashier automatically exclaimed, 'You suck!' I just smiled and said, 'Thanks anyway, though.'

Oh well, I get to work with vitamins and fun food and 'dry' people (that's how they described the HFS workers) from now on! Also, I totally bonded with a lady who was buying Vegenaise and Dandies, so hopefully there will be more of that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:46 am 
Ninja Master

I recently set us up a company twitter page but my boss doesn't know how to tweet. So now she keeps sending me photos from a show with 'funny' captions to tweet.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:51 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I can't think of one good dessert to bring for Work Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm having so much self doubt. Everything I like I keep thinking "well I like it, but they'll hate it"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:29 pm 

Fee wrote:
I can't think of one good dessert to bring for Work Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm having so much self doubt. Everything I like I keep thinking "well I like it, but they'll hate it"

We had a potluck breakfast today for an intern that is leaving to go back to Germany, and I brought a fruit salad platter from Whole Foods. Everybody descends on it like vultures...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I just spent nearly three hours wandering around an Extra forking Ginormous Wegmans. It took me over an hour to drive back (took my mom out to get Thanx baking supplies) and I still feel like I got caught in a tornado or something. This place was bigger than most airports.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Fee wrote:

I have never had anything other than crazy success with the Maple Pecan Pie from PPKBlog/VPITS.

Also, the new rosemary chocolate chip cookies are AMAZING. So amazing.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Fee wrote:

Can I throw a vote in for the Ooey Gooey Chocolate Brownies from Vegan Diner or the Salt Caramel Bars from Chloe's Kitchen?

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

PMSL.... I was talking to my uncle for a minute on the phone tonight. He said he was worried about me after our last conversation because I didn't sound good at all. I had to break the news to him that I don't even recall the conversation and didn't even realise we had even talked on the phone until a few days later when I noticed the call logged on my phone. It would have been about an hour or 2 after I took my night medication which means I would have totally been asleep. Yep...... I managed to answer my phone and have a full conversation while fast asleep. Didn't get to hear what was even said during the conversation because someone just called to his door and now I have to wait until tomorrow! Gah!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just translated a quote into English that was itself a translation of medieval Latin into modern French and I am most displeased. The original quote was such beautiful, inspired, lyrical prose. My translation is accurate, but functional. Why can't I assume my classmates speak French for the purposes of this presentation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Fee wrote:

Pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes. Mighty fine.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I have been at work since 6am and have drunk a half gallon jar full of iced coffee. I am starting to feel like shiitake, like I way overdid it on caffeine. Obviously that was not a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh for fork's sake, what a wasted day. My house already had an alarm system in it when I moved in but I have never used it (never armed it, or paid to have it monitored.) Biker boy, with his history of break-ins, feels strongly about it so we are having ADT replace some of the stuff with their stuff and set up the monitoring, etc... The installer guy showed up 30 minutes early this morning, full of questions that biker boy and the sales rep had already hashed out, so I didn't really get breakfast. Now he has been here for over 5 hours and still isn't done. And the stupid automated door lock that biker boy wanted but I didn't doesn't even work (works with a key, but not with the code, defeating the purpose.) I am so aggravated right now. The dog has had to be in the bathroom the whole time, and the guy keeps disappearing and coming back smelling like cigarette smoke. I really thought he would have been gone hours ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 pm 

DarthCupcake wrote:
torque wrote:
the first year is hard. i was really lucky that my first year teaching HS was half time before I got thrown into the the fire for real. but you get better, you get your teaching style down, you make allies, you learn your materials and such. the first years of developing lessons (i taught in two different areas, so I went through that learning curve twice) are real mustards but if you can reuse lessons, future years will be easier.

It's true! I'm in year three, so I still feel like I'm going through the wringer, but nonetheless, Torque speaks truly. It is getting easier, both with dealing with kids, learning tricks and techniques to make marking easier, and having a supply of lessons and skills and so on.

I totally feel you on the burn out and feeling like 9 to 5 is a dream. I still feel that way (I know that's not heartening), but it is so much easier. I feel like I have chances to come up for air, as opposed to before, when it was just constantly drowning. And I hear it keeps getting easier.

Ah, I hope it gets easier! I am going to stick it out at this (pretty tough) school for at least another academic year after this one, I think, largely so I can see my most senior class through their exams in summer 2015. It doesn't help that the other new teacher in the department is also a worrier and is planning on leaving in the summer - I seem to soak up other people's anxieties.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

Six hours, needed a jump to get his car started, left his bag here. I don't have a number for him, so I guess we'll just have to see how long it is before he realizes he doesn't have it and takes up the rest of my day getting it back... And to top it off, biker boy is extracting tone from text messages that isn't there and thinks I am frustrated with him. I think I need to bake something to take my mind off my irritations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:09 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

just opened up a food order to find the contents of the box is soiled in bbq sauce...:/ there goes my bbq soy curls tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

zebedee wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:
torque wrote:
the first year is hard. i was really lucky that my first year teaching HS was half time before I got thrown into the the fire for real. but you get better, you get your teaching style down, you make allies, you learn your materials and such. the first years of developing lessons (i taught in two different areas, so I went through that learning curve twice) are real mustards but if you can reuse lessons, future years will be easier.

It's true! I'm in year three, so I still feel like I'm going through the wringer, but nonetheless, Torque speaks truly. It is getting easier, both with dealing with kids, learning tricks and techniques to make marking easier, and having a supply of lessons and skills and so on.

I totally feel you on the burn out and feeling like 9 to 5 is a dream. I still feel that way (I know that's not heartening), but it is so much easier. I feel like I have chances to come up for air, as opposed to before, when it was just constantly drowning. And I hear it keeps getting easier.

Ah, I hope it gets easier! I am going to stick it out at this (pretty tough) school for at least another academic year after this one, I think, largely so I can see my most senior class through their exams in summer 2015. It doesn't help that the other new teacher in the department is also a worrier and is planning on leaving in the summer - I seem to soak up other people's anxieties.

Hang on in there! Like others have said, the first year is always the worst. I don't think I did anything other than work and sleep in my first year. I hear you on the challenging school/core subject front - my school is only recently out of special measures and it has been a complete nightmare. If one more person says to us "you need to work smarter, not harder" I may have to punch them. One thing that was said to me very early on (and I've been teaching 25 years now) that really helped, was that "you are never going to be able to do everything, so work out what is honestly really important and do that". It will change from week to week: for me at the moment that means getting Year 11 controlled assessments marked and moderated, and not worrying too much that I haven't marked Year 7 books for three weeks. I will get to them soon. And just when you think you can't take it any more, one of your classes/students will have a breakthrough moment that will make you think "yes!!" and that will keep you going till the next one. It can be a thankless job a lot of the time, but you will make a difference in people's lives, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1633, 1634, 1635, 1636, 1637, 1638, 1639 ... 1858  Next