| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1652, 1653, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658 ... 1860  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The colleague of mine who made me cry last week lied to my face this morning about fictional timetable changes because he doesn't like me. Last week, I reported him for repeatedly losing his temper and not doing his job. I've made similar complaints before.

I got back to my department and found a colleague in the middle of writing an incident report that happened when he should have been in the room but wasn't. I hope he gets fired. He's a very stupid, negligent man.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jordanpattern wrote:
I am right now awake against my will because my stupid cat has randomly decided not to bed down tonight. He only wants to run and scratch and be a crasshole, so I am out on the couch spraying him with a water bottle when he scratches at the bedroom door because my boyfriend needs the sleep more than I do.

This was exactly me all night. Puddy was a little jerk and now she's a snoozing ball of fur lazily watching the snow fall outside. I saved Jay's asparagus by keeping the cats from starting a marching band at the bedroom door last night.

Also, SNOW. I hate snow on the west coast. Wet and slick and no one knows how to drive.

Incidentally, I bought a new car battery right on time yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The hospital dietician went to my mom's room today and asked her how she could possibly get any protein on a vegetarian diet. Is it too much to ask for people who work in the field of nutrition to actually know something about it? What exactly do they teach at dietician school?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
The hospital dietician went to my mom's room today and asked her how she could possibly get any protein on a vegetarian diet. Is it too much to ask for people who work in the field of nutrition to actually know something about it? What exactly do they teach at dietician school?

I couldn't agree more, I have a dietitian and when I became vegan I went to see both her (who apparently trained in nutrition for 3 years) and my GP (who took a 1 day seminar in med school). The GP was very supportive and said for a diabetic its a great idea, the dietitian tried to persuade me to eat free range eggs/organic meat or to not be vegan when I eat out.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:54 pm 

RC and Star, I'm sorry about your experiences. I'm an RD and I know meat, dairy and eggs are generally used as the go to options for protein, but you have to have at minimum a bachelors + 1 year internship to be a dietitian and they should know how to research something if they don't know much about it. Ugh. RC if the dietitian is really interested, I can send you some materials to show to her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ijustdiedinside wrote:
RC and Star, I'm sorry about your experiences. I'm an RD and I know meat, dairy and eggs are generally used as the go to options for protein, but you have to have at minimum a bachelors + 1 year internship to be a dietitian and they should know how to research something if they don't know much about it. Ugh. RC if the dietitian is really interested, I can send you some materials to show to her.

Thank you :-) . I should point out she did give me 1 sterling piece of advice about not eating/drinking organic plant milks/yoghurt's/margarines as in the UK they legally cannot be fortified with vitamins, this is something I was not aware of and certainly appreciated being told.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm incredibly annoyed and frustrated with a coworker. INCREDIBLY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Yeah, it was really weird. It's a hospital so I assumed she must be certified in some way but seemed completely unaware that protein is found in other things besides meat! My mom isn't even vegan, just veg, and she seemed surprised that my mom was still alive. I don't think she was interested in learning; she just seemed shocked and judgemental. I was thinking of maybe getting a copy of Vegan for Life and mailing it to the hospital with a note saying, "Your dietetic staff was asking questions about how a vegetarian diet could be healthy, and I thought they might be interested in the info in this book." I have no idea if they'd read it though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've been to a couple of RDs and while I wouldn't say they actually knew anything about how to have a healthy veg*n diet, they have been 100% willing to learn and absolutely not judgmental or trying to talk me out of veganism. The RD I saw during my pregnancy had me keep a food journal and I did it through a program that calculated all my percentages and she was really happy to see how much I was getting of various nutrients - there was also zero concern about protein because I ate tons. The only downside of that RD is I went to see her to stop gaining so much weight during my pregnancy and she really didn't have anything to tell me about how to manage that; she wasn't willing to tell a hungry pregnant lady to eat less!

The RD I see now has really zero clue about veganism, but she told me what the protein/fat/carb breakdown of my diet needed to be and I am just figuring it out. I show her my food log each week and she is very happy and getting a sense of how a vegan could eat higher carb/lower protein without too much fuss. She has helped me a TON, but mostly through providing a framework for me to follow and then helping to keep me accountable. I have to figure out the what to eat part on my own.

Based on my experience I think a vegan without much nutrition knowledge going to an RD might get frustrated because they don't necessarily have the tools at their fingertips to help you create a healthy vegan diet that is easy to execute. It would be great if something like Vegan for Life was required reading in dietetics programs, but the harder part is creating daily eating plans for vegans with varying needs and even VfL doesn't necessarily give you enough info to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I get so annoyed at "some" vegan cookbook authors. So the cookbooks should be 100% healthy, right? But when i ask why it includes alcoholic drinks it's because "some people want a treat". LOL. You go on and on and on about how one drop of oil will probably kill me, but drinking alcohol (which the last meta studies showed to be unhealthy in any amount) is fine. Like, I don't care if you get drunk on your spare time, but you do that while judging me for using a teaspoon of olive oil?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:40 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Yeah, it was really weird. It's a hospital so I assumed she must be certified in some way but seemed completely unaware that protein is found in other things besides meat! My mom isn't even vegan, just veg, and she seemed surprised that my mom was still alive. I don't think she was interested in learning; she just seemed shocked and judgemental. I was thinking of maybe getting a copy of Vegan for Life and mailing it to the hospital with a note saying, "Your dietetic staff was asking questions about how a vegetarian diet could be healthy, and I thought they might be interested in the info in this book." I have no idea if they'd read it though.

they might because it's written by an RD! but they also might not care... that makes me sad.

here's some good info from the Vegetarian Nutrition dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. the hospital dietitian couldn't really have any argument against info you get from here http://vegetariannutrition.net/faq/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ariann wrote:
I've been to a couple of RDs and while I wouldn't say they actually knew anything about how to have a healthy veg*n diet, they have been 100% willing to learn and absolutely not judgmental or trying to talk me out of veganism. The RD I saw during my pregnancy had me keep a food journal and I did it through a program that calculated all my percentages and she was really happy to see how much I was getting of various nutrients - there was also zero concern about protein because I ate tons. The only downside of that RD is I went to see her to stop gaining so much weight during my pregnancy and she really didn't have anything to tell me about how to manage that; she wasn't willing to tell a hungry pregnant lady to eat less!

The RD I see now has really zero clue about veganism, but she told me what the protein/fat/carb breakdown of my diet needed to be and I am just figuring it out. I show her my food log each week and she is very happy and getting a sense of how a vegan could eat higher carb/lower protein without too much fuss. She has helped me a TON, but mostly through providing a framework for me to follow and then helping to keep me accountable. I have to figure out the what to eat part on my own.

Based on my experience I think a vegan without much nutrition knowledge going to an RD might get frustrated because they don't necessarily have the tools at their fingertips to help you create a healthy vegan diet that is easy to execute. It would be great if something like Vegan for Life was required reading in dietetics programs, but the harder part is creating daily eating plans for vegans with varying needs and even VfL doesn't necessarily give you enough info to do that.

I had to see an RD before they'd let me get on an insulin pump to "learn how to carb count" (something I've been doing for about 20ish years). I didn't really get much out of the two visits because I already had that skill, but I was super excited that their carb counting booklet included tempeh, tofu, and some other veg foods. I think it's completely luck of the draw whether you get an RD who is interested in learning about new subjects or not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

We're getting a 15 year old female chihuahua. An old woman owned the dog and she died yesterday so her only son was going to have the dog put to sleep because he's an insane soulless mustard. So my hubby offered to take the dog. We already have 6 cats and three dogs. I don't really mind, as long as my other pets don't get upset and try to hurt this dog. I just don't want our uptight neighbors thinking we're animal hoarders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i've been cooking for two hours and then made fresh naan bread (with baking powder, it's the goddamn bomb) on the spur of the moment, and now i'm waiting for everyone to appear to eat and it's been over an hour and there's a forking yelling fight going on upstairs. jesus. i can't wait to go home and eat dinner with my dog. in my jammies. on my back porch. drinking whisky from a mug. could use some right about now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

a mug is the best way to drink whiskey! bonus points if it's a fancy teacup, because that's the way my university roommate and i would hang out and escape in the middle of exams because everything was way. too. much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

torque wrote:
i've been cooking for two hours and then made fresh naan bread (with baking powder, it's the goddamn bomb) on the spur of the moment, and now i'm waiting for everyone to appear to eat and it's been over an hour and there's a forking yelling fight going on upstairs. jesus. i can't wait to go home and eat dinner with my dog. in my jammies. on my back porch. drinking whisky from a mug. could use some right about now.

torque, do you mind pointing me toward your naan recipe?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I get so annoyed at "some" vegan cookbook authors. So the cookbooks should be 100% healthy, right? But when i ask why it includes alcoholic drinks it's because "some people want a treat". LOL. You go on and on and on about how one drop of oil will probably kill me, but drinking alcohol (which the last meta studies showed to be unhealthy in any amount) is fine. Like, I don't care if you get drunk on your spare time, but you do that while judging me for using a teaspoon of olive oil?

Yes. This definitely played into the food anxieties I had last year. I think I'm still forking myself over.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Omg my friend just asked me, "Who's Nelson Mandela?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

How old is your friend? Even my youngest students have heard of him because his quotes appear in so many places.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ashley wrote:
torque, do you mind pointing me toward your naan recipe?

http://holycowvegan.net/2009/11/grilled-naan.html

(it is okay, like eating a cross between a biscuit and a naan. it definitely needs more salt. my real favorite naan recipe is vegan richa's, i think, made with avocado instead of yogurt, but i didn't have the patience level for yeast naan yesterday.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just stood up for myself at work. I have to put out the recycling, and it's been forking disgusting for months. It got worse this time with people basically just throwing anything and everything into the recycling boxes, so I spent ages digging through it to separate it. So I took pictures and emailed my line manager, telling her that she'll have to find someone else to do it if people don't take some forking personal responsibility and do it right. She came back agreeing with me and said she'd think of a solution. I'm not holding my breath since I was told that at the beginning of the year (for other issues), but at least I've aired my grievances.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:54 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Gross! I've been in charge of waste and recycling at a major fundraiser here, and the things people do never cease to baffle me. I hope you get a reasonable solution!

For me: Yesterday was super productive and awesome. I guess today is the karmic balance of that, since I have so far got nothing done. (Well, one thing: I found an error in a spreadsheet and did some recalculations, but not the major actual work that has to be done.)

Awesomely, my prof. is doing a lot of spreadsheet work on my project for me since it all involves stuff I don't know how to do -- and she used to know how, so she's suffering through the trial-and-error, rather than leaving me alone with it and the help ("help") of the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

This storm is nuts! Basically every hour we rotate between rain, snow, hail, and bright blue sky. The house is shaking and when I walked Orion (who almost flew off when he lifted his leg to pee btw, too much surface to the wind...) there were torn tree branches all over the place. So glad I took the day off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't showered in two days and I've just been laying around with this cold. I feel like I just lost two days to foggy headedness. I'm so over having a cold. This is the second time in three months that I've had a cold, which is so rare for me! Crazy germs are blowing in the wind over here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:01 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It is snowing here. I really don't like snow. Especially since now I won't be hanging out with my bff.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1652, 1653, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658 ... 1860  Next