| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1653, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659 ... 1888  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:37 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

torque wrote:
ashley wrote:
torque, do you mind pointing me toward your naan recipe?

http://holycowvegan.net/2009/11/grilled-naan.html

(it is okay, like eating a cross between a biscuit and a naan. it definitely needs more salt. my real favorite naan recipe is vegan richa's, i think, made with avocado instead of yogurt, but i didn't have the patience level for yeast naan yesterday.)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I get so annoyed at "some" vegan cookbook authors. So the cookbooks should be 100% healthy, right? But when i ask why it includes alcoholic drinks it's because "some people want a treat". LOL. You go on and on and on about how one drop of oil will probably kill me, but drinking alcohol (which the last meta studies showed to be unhealthy in any amount) is fine. Like, I don't care if you get drunk on your spare time, but you do that while judging me for using a teaspoon of olive oil?

I don't buy cookbooks from people who make unsubstantiated health claims. I am, however, suspicious of the idea that any amount of alcohol is unhealthy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This is what I was referring to: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/breast- ... h-is-safe/

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

pickledtreats wrote:
How old is your friend? Even my youngest students have heard of him because his quotes appear in so many places.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Have completely lost motivation to do anything at work. I only have 25 minutes left that I HAVE To be here but there's so much to do...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

VeganinBerlin wrote:

I am a) suspicious of claims that attempt to assign specific numbers or percentages of cases of disease to specific causes, because that is just poppycock and b) generally suspicious of Michael Greger. He does a lot of good work, but he also releases recommendations based on single studies as a matter of habit, I'm sure knowing full well that single studies are almost never significant on their own and it is the norm, rather than the exception, for conflicting evidence to come to light on nutrition/disease issues.

I also hate when I accidentally buy a cookbook that winds up making false nutritional claims (dear cookbook authors: you are not nutritionists or medical workers, stop pretending you are) or that demonizes particular foods. It's not always easy to tell on the surface that a book will do that, especially the ones that have tons of random text in addition to the recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:34 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I couldn't think of a title for my evolution project, so I've decided to call it "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"

I'm hoping my prof and TA are Wizard of Oz fans, or at least entertained by this, because it's making me giggle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I am a) suspicious of claims that attempt to assign specific numbers or percentages of cases of disease to specific causes, because that is just poppycock and b) generally suspicious of Michael Greger. He does a lot of good work, but he also releases recommendations based on single studies as a matter of habit, I'm sure knowing full well that single studies are almost never significant on their own and it is the norm, rather than the exception, for conflicting evidence to come to light on nutrition/disease issues.

I just linked to it because he was referring to the meta study on alcohol. I'm kinda obsessed with studies on alcohol and other drugs but I can't link to most of them since they're not openly accessible.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My mom is in the physical rehab place now. When she was there after her last surgery, the food was just as bad as the hospital (one meal was a blob of cottage cheese on a single iceberg lettuce leaf with some canned peaches). But this time the food is much better. Apparently after my mom's last stay, one of the dietary aids went to the dietician and said they needed to develop some healthy vegetarian meals and they actually did! Now they have things like homemade carrot ginger soup. So much nicer than the people at the hospital!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yay! That's the kind of place I work in and we are much more likely to work with preferences and special diets than the hospital because the people are there for so much longer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ariann wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I also hate when I accidentally buy a cookbook that winds up making false nutritional claims (dear cookbook authors: you are not nutritionists or medical workers, stop pretending you are) or that demonizes particular foods. It's not always easy to tell on the surface that a book will do that, especially the ones that have tons of random text in addition to the recipes.

He speaks at the McDougall events which means the no oil position is to be expected. What I hate about sites like that is the overwhelming implication that cancer and other diseases are really your fault and if you only would shape up and eat right, you would never get sick. That's a horribly unethical way to view the world.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Aah, why can't I go to bed at a sensible time?? I'm getting a lift tomorrow to go shopping and it'll be early to avoid to crowds but I've been spending ages messing around online and now it's gone 1am.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:13 pm 
Semen Strong

VeganinBerlin wrote:

Circular reasoning is circular.
Quote:
Any level of alcohol consumption appears to increase the risk of developing an alcohol-related cancer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm 

I'm relearning the bassoon! I hope to someday soon play in a community orchestra. Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

lillianp wrote:
I'm relearning the bassoon! I hope to someday soon play in a community orchestra. Yay!

That's awesome! I played bassoon in middle school, but then we moved to a high school where we had to provide our own instruments and bassoon rental was out of the question,even with my part time job. I gave up music after that.

My favorite was when I got to do the solo in Tchaikovsky's Blue Lake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:32 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm wearing like fifteen layers and I'm still freezing. My old (rented) house is so drafty I may as well be sitting outside.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:05 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
lillianp wrote:

That's awesome! I played bassoon in middle school, but then we moved to a high school where we had to provide our own instruments and bassoon rental was out of the question,even with my part time job. I gave up music after that.

Fun! I got to do this thing in high school where it was just four of us playing at the beginning and the end, http://youtu.be/piSieyTruog, and I just listened to it recently and really wanted to play again. I luckily own a bassoon and can do this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lavawitch wrote:
lillianp wrote:

Good for you lillianp! That is very cool!
Lavawitch, I didn't know you played bassoon! The world always needs more bassoonists. It's a shame you didn't get to continue. When I am queen every child will have access to music lessons.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Woot, finished my evolution project. One thing off my to do list! Hoping I can finish my take home final for stats this weekend as well (may not have time though with studying for my evolution final...). If I can manage to, after Tuesday I'll be on Winter break! Almost four weeks of having to worry about nothing accept research. Until January.... then my life is going to suck. WHY did I sign up for these classes?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

Circular reasoning is circular.
Quote:
Any level of alcohol consumption appears to increase the risk of developing an alcohol-related cancer.

That's not circular reasoning. The question wasn't whether alcohol increases the risk of alcohol-related cancer (as you said, duh) but at which amount it starts to.

Quote:
He speaks at the McDougall events which means the no oil position is to be expected. What I hate about sites like that is the overwhelming implication that cancer and other diseases are really your fault and if you only would shape up and eat right, you would never get sick. That's a horribly unethical way to view the world.

I never got that feeling from his site and I dislike McDougall with all my heart. I got hooked on the nutritionfacts site because Jack Norris recommended it. I'm also a bit surprised that McDougall would be okay with him talking, since he's so pro-nuts.
He does say no-oil or low-oil is healthier, but just saying that is hardly saying "it's your own fault if you're ill". If I show someone the studies of how eating unhealthy is unhealthy, if they ask me, that's not the same as telling them their disease is their fault. He sometimes jumps to conclusions too fast (like when there's one study down and he says "this shows" etc) and i find that annoying, but I really enjoy getting to see the studies.

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:43 am 
Impressive boner

I just went to buy a train ticket back from my parents to Nottingham on 23 December via The Trainline. They wanted to charge me £81, which is more than a return, so I checked Transpennine Express and East Midlands Trains and got my fare for £22 instead. The Trainline is a swizz!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We have 90 bars of vegan chocolate to sell as a fundraiser for the rescue. I've already eaten two.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just bought a bag over vastly over-priced almonds ... why? The label says Maple Coated & will xmas in full swing here in shops & events this Canadian is feeling homesick ...

Anne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sound good! Where did you get them from/what brand are they, teacup? I'm always on the lookout for reduced nuts after Christmas! Sorry you're homesick though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
lillianp wrote:

Good for you lillianp! That is very cool!
Lavawitch, I didn't know you played bassoon! The world always needs more bassoonists. It's a shame you didn't get to continue. When I am queen every child will have access to music lessons.

Yes, the bassoon is clearly the king of all instruments! I don't listen to much classical music (as opposed to opera), but I do love bassoon concertos. They kind of make me sad though because I've always missed playing. I could have played something cheaper, but my heart wasn't in it. Before that, I played bass clarinet, another instrument too expensive to rent or buy. See a pattern? I think now though the school helps kids get instruments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1653, 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1659 ... 1888  Next