| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1723, 1724, 1725, 1726, 1727, 1728, 1729 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I am watching the video and crying again. SHE'S SO NERVOUS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:55 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Woah! I hadn't heard! that's awesome!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:07 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Aww I just watched the video. She is so nervous and adorable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:20 am 
Impressive boner

That was really poignant and touching. She looked like she was about to become overwhelmed with emotion a few times.

My security alarm is beeping every 30 seconds. It's mains powered but has a backup battery which I think needs replacing. I can't figure out where the battery comes out and don't want to go messing with wires etc myself. My landlady can be really slow at getting back to me regarding repairs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:37 am 
Saggy Butt

hi, folks! i hope everyone is doing well/coping okay.

it's my friend's birthday dinner today and i am wondering if a gift card either to whole foods or starbucks is a bad gift. i don't normally do gifts (or accept them--i'm not greedy), because i am SO bad at this and people are perpetually getting mad at me for giving gifts that are apparently rude.

i don't know this woman well enough yet to be able to choose something too personalized or to be able to explain my no gifts thing. i also know what some of her hobbies are, but i know so little about them that i couldn't even begin to get a related gift. she's an avid rockclimber whereas in my world extreme climbing is taking stairs two at a time. i tried to find a sporting goods store, but the weather made that prohibitive and i didn't even know which places she might like. i was thinking whole foods at least has energy bars and powder and stuff (do climbers use that? i don't know.), but either way, i'm pretty sure she eats food! i've never seen her with starbucks, but we get coffee from our campus coffee shop. so she should be able to use it or gift it away easily.

is a card+gift card+maybe some random neat small thing okay? would you be happy to have that?

this seems like it makes sense to me, but i was told off for rudely giving someone a barnes and noble gift card once and all i've ever wanted is for someone to enable my book habit. so i'm not sure. if there's anything at all weird or insulting about either or both, please tell me. teach me remedial social skills, ppk!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:45 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

It's a given that gift cards aren't the most thoughtful gift in the world, but if anyone told you off for getting one they're sort of a huge jerk. Unless you got them a gift card to the puppy kicking factory or something. Starbucks and Whole Foods seem safe to me, as long as you know she's a coffee drinker and a food eater.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 am 

Yeah, the person who told you off for giving them a gift card is the one who needs remedial social skills, not you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 am 

Do you know if she drinks alcohol? A bottle of wine might be appropriate, then you're not turning up empty-handed but it could be a contribution to the dinner and you can explain you don't do specific birthday gifts without looking mean?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Most all adult birthdays I've been to, almost all but the very closest of friends show up empty handed. In fact I'd feel super awkward giving a gift to someone whom I wasn't really close with in that scenario, as I'd probably be the only one doing so. I like dropscone's idea about a bottle of wine. (Unless of course you know she doesn't drink - that would be awkward!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

thanks so much, Fee, strawberryrock, dropscone, and Mars. i really appreciate your advice and feel approximately 1000% better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:27 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

ahah, someone just tweeted to our work account: "Thank you for understanding that my vagina is not actually a flower"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Uh, what line of business are you in?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Hallucinogenic research?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:13 pm 

haha basically :) but no, I work in female fertility/reproductive health. they were talking about our app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/clue-perio ... d657189652

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

lavawitch wrote:
I need to find something useful to do with my time. I don't know what I do all day (well other than Monday-Wednesday when I'm gone from 9am to 10pm). Thursday and Friday I'm home by 4 unless Friday traffic is extra miserable.

Best I can put together is candy crush, reading the PPK, doing NYT crosswords from the ipad app, and starting/reading 4 pages of random books before stopping, and sleeping. I watched the last Top Chef season with my mom. She watches TV, which isn't really my thing, but it hate to leave her alone and go burrow downstairs like I usually do.

I mean, I've been like this to some degree or other for a few years now, but the not reading thing is killing me. I've thought of Adobe illustrator or knitting again, but eh. Can't get the energy or interest.

I wish I could go somewhere over spring break, just for a few days. My money situation is drastically reduced now though because my mom needs help with her income cut in half. Did you know that when a retiree dies, the military takes back the last deposited check? My dad died end of January, so they took back the January check. They will return it after an application that will probably take six months or even more. That has to be disastrous for some families. We are ok, but it's not great, obviously. That is so heartless.

Oh yuck. Are the checks coming from DFAS or the VA? Have you been in touch with anyone helpful at the VA? My mother in law is still sorting through things and finding about new benefits to which she's entitled (and my FIL was a retired reservist, not active duty for 20 years). If she needs immediate help the Navy-Marine Corps relief may help. Husband's at work now (of course, why would being relieved by a new guy and being about to check out of his command stop him from preparing incident reports on a saturday?!) but might know where to contact. I know he spent a bunch of time looking at benefits after my MIL told us about things she was confused with over the holidays.

If it's a financial hardship it may be possible to work something out with DFAS if you talk to someone. They usually try to help servicemembers and families in the event of hardship, but this can take a phone call or two sometimes.

ETA: I just looked up on their website and it does look like Navy/Marine Corps Relief helps retirees and surviving spouses. I bet they would be a great resource to help her make it through the transition and figure out where to go for which benefits, and they do things like financial counseling to help people get back on their feet. They're a really good organization.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm not sure who she has been talking to. She is still waiting for forms they keep promising to send. They were very quick about taking back the money though. That was gone the same day she notified online.

It's not an urgency now, but will be if they don't start her benefits in a reasonable time frame.

Thanks for the advice. Would they work with Air Force?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh! Sorry, didn't realize you were air force.

https://www.afas.org

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

joshua wrote:
haha basically :) but no, I work in female fertility/reproductive health. they were talking about our app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/clue-perio ... d657189652

that kind of makes me want to have an iphone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I love it! I have a stupid droid or I'd be all over that!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
Ninja Master

I just showed my mum thong song on youtube and it was hilarious!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:30 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I love it! I have a stupid droid or I'd be all over that!

hold that thought :) it's happening...eventually

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:46 pm 
Mediocre Tart

strawberryrock wrote:
I am watching the video and crying again. SHE'S SO NERVOUS.

I knew something had happened when I woke up and my phone was bursting with twitter-following news of her. The wee dote. I watched the video on my way to work and wanted to jump through the screen and hug her so much.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:17 pm 
Dead by dawn

It's really irritating me that people on fb are talking about Ellen Page coming out and saying, "Why am I supposed to care who she sleeps with?" I'm pretty sure you caring who she sleeps with has exactly zero to do with why she came out; in fact, I'm sure that her coming out had exactly zero to do with you, period. I mean, I know they're trying to say that someone's sexuality shouldn't make a difference to anyone else, but way to make it about you, people. And hey, how lucky for you that you're straight and so surrounded by your liberal bubble that you can afford to forget that it matters because there are people who do think someone else's sexuality is their business.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:42 pm 
Mediocre Tart

monkeytoes wrote:
It's really irritating me that people on fb are talking about Ellen Page coming out and saying, "Why am I supposed to care who she sleeps with?" I'm pretty sure you caring who she sleeps with has exactly zero to do with why she came out; in fact, I'm sure that her coming out had exactly zero to do with you, period. I mean, I know they're trying to say that someone's sexuality shouldn't make a difference to anyone else, but way to make it about you, people. And hey, how lucky for you that you're straight and so surrounded by your liberal bubble that you can afford to forget that it matters because there are people who do think someone else's sexuality is their business.

Seriously. It's pure doing my nut in. Fine, ok then, you people think it's nbd? I dearly wish these days it wasn't, but it is. And I guarantee these people have not watched the video. Because WHAT.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

this is pretty stupid, but i'm annoyed with people thinking that it's a "good problem to have" that i've lost weight and now i have to buy all new clothes. i mean, of course, i wanted to lose weight and i'm doing it in a healthy way, but it's really annoying to have my pants falling down all the time or have my jeans all lumped up in the knee. I hate clothes shopping!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1723, 1724, 1725, 1726, 1727, 1728, 1729 ... 1873  Next