| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1730, 1731, 1732, 1733, 1734, 1735, 1736 ... 1860  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

My food processor (Prossie) that I've had for ~27 years fell off the counter while kneading the dough for Vegan Diner's Rosemary Sandwich rolls this morning and cracked and busted up big time. The dough was okay when I checked it post catastrophe and ready to rise anyhoo and I pulled a few plastic shards from it and massaged it to pull out any smaller ones before I set the dough aside to rise and then, like a true Canadian, I used our all-purpose quick fix of duct tape to finish off some other cooking jobs:

I washed Prossie out, taped her up and soldiered on, grinding up some bread crumbs for some breaded tofu for later, and then I water tested her with her bandages on as I have to make a sauce in her later still and she has to run for five more minutes to puree the sauce for pasta and that will be her last lap. Then, Prossie will sadly be relegated to the great landfill in the sky.

I've had this baby since 1987 she's frothed so many smoothies, pureed so many sauces, gravies and soups, ground so many soaked cashews, (and every other nut or seed under the sun at some time or other), made falafels, doughs of all sorts maybe even crushed a bit of ice here and there--when I had her original grating attachments (long lost in moves) she grated and sliced, too. Those were the days! Now she was down to her only her last spinning blade and the still strong running motor of her heart. She didn't die of her own volition either, she died because I left the kitchen and she "walks" whenever kneading dough and I wasn't there to catch Prossie when she fell this time. *sniff* RIP my friend. It's been a good run.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:04 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

27 years is an amazingly long run for any kitchen appliance! She served you well!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:08 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Awwww! RIP, Prossie. Is it possible to buy a replacement bowl for her? I broke the bowl on my ancient Cuisinart (my in-laws wedding gift, actually, so from the 70s) and was devastated until I looked up its part # and realized I could buy a new bowl for it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have the exact same machine!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

^It's a great little thing, Veg_Eric. My Braun's been going strong for 27 years (is still going, it's just the casing is broken but the engine is fine) and it gets seriously hard core use and has sustained a lot of abuse over the years. It's probably gotten used at least once a week for all the years I've owned it (and very often more than that, depending on the week's menu).

paprikapapaya wrote:
Awwww! RIP, Prossie. Is it possible to buy a replacement bowl for her? I broke the bowl on my ancient Cuisinart (my in-laws wedding gift, actually, so from the 70s) and was devastated until I looked up its part # and realized I could buy a new bowl for it.

I've actually already had one replacement bowl for her. Twelve years ago or so, Prossie was dropped by butterfingers me and went somersaulting down three storeys worth of concrete stairs at my old apartment building and her engine still rattled on even after that but the bowl was broken (like it is now). Back then my sister, who had the exact same model but never used it, just gave me her bowl and so that was one replacement.

I really think it's time for a new food processor though, especially since all her handy attachments and accessories are now gone and all I have left is the spinning blade. It's definitely been on my mind awhile to buy a new one anyway (I need a more sophisticated model with a true dough hook, frother, grater, slicer and so on) especially with the amount I've used Prossie over the years. The timing is terrible though! Lots of demands on my wallet right now and I promised myself when I buy a replacement FP, I'd get a pretty sturdy or high end one (I was hoping to buy a Vitamix next) because I cook enough to justify the expense. I don't think I have the cash right now for a Vitamix though but I'll commence shopping and comparison pricing for a new one next weekend...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Poor Prossie. RIP. We will never forget you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm 
And you never will.

Awww, RIP Prossie.

You guys, I seriously need someone to come feed me. This is becoming a problem. I've been on my own for over three full days now, and in that time I've had a Tofurky sandwich, 3/4 of a burrito, and two Jammy Dodgers. I have zero appetite or motivation to go cook something for myself :( This isn't like me! I love food! I just miss my family.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm at a bar that has lots of vegan options and a good happy hour, and a heated, covered patio that allows dogs. They replaying Prince, I'm here alone, and Ginny is curled up beside me on top of my scarf. Perfect for us!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mars, that sounds awesome!

Today I hula hooped continuously for about two minutes, several times over!! I really thought I was a lost cause.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I went out for dinner with an ex-coworker tonight and ended up going back to his place to watch The Walking Dead. He promptly changed into his pajamas and tried to peer pressure me into smoking pot. I learned more about this guy in three hours tonight than I did in the past three years of working with him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:41 am 
Dead by dawn

Biker boy and I get to play parents and corrupt his niece's kid for a weekend next month. Biker boy has never changed a diaper and I haven't in like 25 years. What could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

monkeytoes wrote:
Biker boy and I get to play parents and corrupt his niece's kid for a weekend next month. Biker boy has never changed a diaper and I haven't in like 25 years. What could possibly go wrong?

Projectile diarrhoea? Heh.

If it's a boy, just remember to put a facecloth over his peen as soon as you open the nappy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

RIP Prossie! In solidarity, my processor Crackers McShardley also went to the great crapola heap this weekend. He had already been wearing strips of electrical tape for some years now (I kept saying "just one more batch of falafel" and it sort of stretched into eternity). However, this batch of peanut butter was extra strong, apparently, and he gave up the ghost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I'm gonna try to grow a mullet. wish me luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Poor Prossie!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:46 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

joshua wrote:

Good luck! Also please take photos at regular intervals and make us a time-lapse gif.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I want to travel and see places outside of Europe so badly. And also Europe... I miss Iceland. And I really want to travel to Greenland. I spent half a year writing my BA thesis about Greenlandic nation identity problems and I feel like such a phony, I've never even been there!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

choirqueer wrote:
joshua wrote:

Good luck! Also please take photos at regular intervals and make us a time-lapse gif.

+1 Yummy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:44 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I want to travel and see places outside of Europe so badly. And also Europe... I miss Iceland. And I really want to travel to Greenland. I spent half a year writing my BA thesis about Greenlandic nation identity problems and I feel like such a phony, I've never even been there!

Come to Canada, I'll take you to a maple sugar bush!

(I'm going to a maple bush this weekend so I have that on my mind.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

RIP Prossie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
RIP Prossie! In solidarity, my processor Crackers McShardley also went to the great crapola heap this weekend. He had already been wearing strips of electrical tape for some years now (I kept saying "just one more batch of falafel" and it sort of stretched into eternity). However, this batch of peanut butter was extra strong, apparently, and he gave up the ghost.

You give me hope, torque. I might just let Prossie live on all taped up because I really can't afford a new FP right now. And I prefer your Crackers McShardly as a name. Imma try and think up a new name for Prossie's new battle-scarred state. Battlescars McHazard. Wounded Notknee. Handleless McSlippage. Bandaged McShrapnel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

be careful there, Sir Crackers cut me up really good as I was trying to assess the damage (not the blade, the bowl part?! those cracks are sharp!) and I was Sniffly McCrybaby for a few days (of course it's always on the part of the right thumb you use for typing, knitting, cutting, everything.....)

I am making homemade masa for tortillas (not using Crackers, sadly, I hope my augur juicer thing is up for this challenge....) and using a few blogs to figure out what to do. The subset of people who make their own tortilla masa is pretty small, I guess, and unique! I found a blog that made me laugh so hard. The person decided to make their own masa after calling the local tortilla masa-making places and deciding that all of their processes were not authentic enough. And then went totally inauthentic in the ingredients, the process, and the use of the masa. Delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:18 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

i do not understand how a person goes from mourning the loss of one dog to 'hey look i got a new dog for a gift' the next week. i know we all mourn differently, think of companion animal differently but it just puzzles me...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:28 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Leicester Libraries finally got copies of Isa Does It in stock! So glad we're getting more and better vegan cookbooks in these days.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I suddenly wanted soda and biscuits, but I didn't have either of those things. And then I remembered we were almost out of milk. Woo! I probably paid more at the wee shop than I would have at Tesco, but I'm now supplied with Irn Bru and Oreos.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1730, 1731, 1732, 1733, 1734, 1735, 1736 ... 1860  Next