| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1738, 1739, 1740, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

missmuffcake wrote:
i do not understand hospital food. my dad is in a nursing home right now. he has cholesterol probs & high insulin right now. dinner was 2 hamburgers, mashed potatoes and potato wedges....um?

UGH. When my sister was in the hospital as a young adult, she was put in the pediatric unit after we complained that she wasn't getting very attentive care in the post-surgical unit and apparently in the pediatric unit, your choices are hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, grilled cheese, and pizza. No fresh vegetables. Even when my sister isn't sick she doesn't eat those things and eating cheese and fries certainly wasn't helping her get better. We wound up bringing a lot of food and getting the hospital dietician to get on top of things, but that was only for 2 weeks, a nursing home should have a lot better control of those things because most patients are long term, no? And usually have lots of co-morbidities in addition to their chief medical problem(s).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ariann wrote:

UGH. When my sister was in the hospital as a young adult, she was put in the pediatric unit after we complained that she wasn't getting very attentive care in the post-surgical unit and apparently in the pediatric unit, your choices are hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, grilled cheese, and pizza. No fresh vegetables. Even when my sister isn't sick she doesn't eat those things and eating cheese and fries certainly wasn't helping her get better. We wound up bringing a lot of food and getting the hospital dietician to get on top of things, but that was only for 2 weeks, a nursing home should have a lot better control of those things because most patients are long term, no? And usually have lots of co-morbidities in addition to their chief medical problem(s).

I hated being in the pediatric ward as a teen when I was really sick. I was about to turn 16 and to comfort me they brought me a stuffed bear...Something I felt embarrassed by. I remember being given really crappy food for veg choices. I was only there for a few days and did not eat much so all was good. My friend's mom is a nurse and on Monday at her hospital they have Meatless meals, like tofu stir fries and stuff! Say what!?

My dad has been there going on his second week. He had to stay due to medication being provided by drip due to a blood infection he got from a hospital stay. He will go home soon. But he said some people have been there for 10 years...When he broke his hip like 5 years ago - the rehab he was in had awful food. Like cheap pizza and a wilted grey salad...that was Italian night! Um, my dad came over from Sicily...what an insult!

I brought him baked goods to share with his roommate and hope others think to do the same for their loved ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

blondiefk wrote:
My cats Daniel is sick. I'm worried it's serious - when I put him in the carrier he felt cool and his back legs are all wobbly. I'm worried it's his kidneys just like Oliver.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you :-)

π

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks for the well wishes. He has lymphoma in his liver and lungs. He's only three and I just lost another cat and it's not fair.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

missmuffcake wrote:
i do not understand hospital food. my dad is in a nursing home right now. he has cholesterol probs & high insulin right now. dinner was 2 hamburgers, mashed potatoes and potato wedges....um?

I work in a care home for the elderly and this is a pet peeve of mine. One day last week lunch was cold corned beef and potatoes, dinner was cold meat (including corned beef) and chips (i.e. thick French fries) and salad, and if you didn't want that the choice (for either meal) was smoked sausage and baked beans.
A very common meal is egg, chips and tinned spaghetti hoops. Where are the vegetables? Hoops don't even have much tomato in.

And yes, we do have lots of people with other conditions- diabetes, soft diet due to throat problems or stroke, allergies. If the menu can't be easily converted for a soft diet, we can ask for: soup, scrambled eggs, corned beef and hoops, corned beef and potatoes, baked potatoes with cheese or butter, tinned macaroni cheese. The people who are on soft diets are SO SICK of those options and no wonder. And they never say what the soup is if it's part of the menu, so often it turns out that you think that the woman on a soft diet will at least get soup and pudding, but then it contains barley, peas or beans which she can't have due to swallowing.
And the number of times they completely forget to send anything up for the person with allergies who has lived there for years is ridiculous.
And the snack which gets sent up for them to have with their afternoon cup of tea or coffee we don't get to choose. So blimmin' often we get a separate snack labelled 'Mr X' which is diabetic friendly (yay, well done for remembering to check your special diet chart, cooks) but is hard and dry and impossible for him to eat with his chewing and swallowing difficulties (less yay for not seeing the rest of the description, on the same line of your chart, for the same person).

And when my mum, who is diabetic so gets by much better if she has a generally healthy diet, had to go into hospital for a few days for an operation, she asked for a heart-healthy diet. The person taking down her details looked at her as though she had three heads, or had asked for steamed microgreens imported from France with organic chia seeds. How can people heal if they don't even have the option of food with some vitamins and complex carbohydrates etc etc aargh khgkhgdrylbu;';oowrg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:21 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My mom sent me home with a HUGE cookie cookbook. I will be baking and experimenting for months.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:24 pm 
Impressive boner

GreenDuck wrote:
I work in a care home for the elderly and this is a pet peeve of mine. One day last week lunch was cold corned beef and potatoes, dinner was cold meat (including corned beef) and chips (i.e. thick French fries) and salad, and if you didn't want that the choice (for either meal) was smoked sausage and baked beans.
A very common meal is egg, chips and tinned spaghetti hoops. Where are the vegetables? Hoops don't even have much tomato in.

And yes, we do have lots of people with other conditions- diabetes, soft diet due to throat problems or stroke, allergies. If the menu can't be easily converted for a soft diet, we can ask for: soup, scrambled eggs, corned beef and hoops, corned beef and potatoes, baked potatoes with cheese or butter, tinned macaroni cheese. The people who are on soft diets are SO SICK of those options and no wonder. And they never say what the soup is if it's part of the menu, so often it turns out that you think that the woman on a soft diet will at least get soup and pudding, but then it contains barley, peas or beans which she can't have due to swallowing.

Wow. Is it local authority or private?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

blondiefk, I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Forrrrrrkkkkk, blondie, I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry to hear that. Sending you and Daniel many good thoughts <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

blondiefk - i am so sorry. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 pm 
Hip Goiter

blondie <3 <3 <3

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

blondie, I am so sorry. That isn't fair. Many, many chin scritches, nose kisses and whisker tugs for sweet Daniel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

awww. blondie, I am so sorry.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So sorry blondiefk

π

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel like I can't talk to anyone right now and I know I'm being selfish but meh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 am 
WRETCHED

I'm so sorry blondie <3

fisticuffs, you have us? :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to be such a downer in this thread. I was kind of in shock after the vet yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

blondiefk wrote:
Thanks guys. I didn't mean to be such a downer in this thread. I was kind of in shock after the vet yesterday.

Absolutely no need to be sorry. These things are awful and could happen to anyone. I do feel for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

So sorry blondie!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Blondie. How awful. I hope there is something they can do to keep Daniel comfortable at least.

8ball wrote:
GreenDuck wrote:
rant

Wow. Is it local authority or private?

Local authority.
Of course, I picked out examples of bad days- sometimes they do cook good, nutritious meals and the vegetables, chips, cakes and biscuits are all made from scratch. But their thoughtlessness when dealing with special diets is an on-going issue which really annoys me. There are various things in place now to try to get the cooks to understand the issues, so maybe it will improve. Not that I'm holding my breath, as this has been brought up so many times and they've always had a nutritionist they could contact and none of our residents have odd or unusual dietary restrictions, in the context of care homes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm so sorry blondie, huge hugs xx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:02 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm so sorry, blondie.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:12 am 
Chip Strong

*hugs for Blondie and Oliver -I'm so sorry blondie.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

blondiefk wrote:

No need to apologize! I think you are safe here talking about cat issues - anyone is. I felt pretty 'safe' posting Mar stuff when he battled cancer and kidney disease, stuff I did not post on my FB because no one on the ppk (to my knowledge) would say - just get another cat, or to give up...

I know how heartbreaking it is to have a sick cat. All you can do is try to make them content, tell them you love them and hope for the best. I am tearing up thinking about Mar right now and I know how hard it is/how much it hurts. If I can do anything for you talk/send you a card, some tea or cat toys please let me know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1738, 1739, 1740, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744 ... 1873  Next