| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747 ... 1888  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wow, what a great surprise! What a lovely thing to do. It's at times like this I sorely miss emoticons, but I'm aiming hearts and smiling daisies at you choirqueer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mars wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
I wanted to die my hair blue but despite leaving the bleach on an hour the red dye didn't all come out. So now it's pink, red and light blonde.

Have you ever tried using a color stripper first before bleach?

The only brand I've ever seen is made by L'Oreal. It's Manic Panic dye and it usually bleaches out pretty easily. Now my hair is pink, which isn't bad, but it's not blue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 am 
Dead by dawn

We did it! Biker boy and I had his niece's 14-month-old last night and we managed to keep him alive! Actually, he's one of those sucker kids... the kind who's so easy that he suckers his parents into having a second one. Eats anything you put in front of him, sleeps like a champ, is totally OK with a virtual stranger (me) driving him away from his parents, listens when you tell him no... Fun, but exhausting!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:47 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I think marijuana should be legalized, and there have been increasing studies that question the efficacy of sniffer dogs (turns out they are 'alerting' to handlers' body language as often as scent), and yet I absolutely cannot stop laughing at this photo from this morning's news:

Ruh roh, Shaggy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:22 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I can't remember which thread had all the great talk about sex vs. gender. Was is the person who got mad at their mother-in-law for not knowing their cat genders? Anyway, I'm sure some of you remember it better than me and will appreciate this:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Good news... I appear to be recovering from my oh so deadly serious case of a cold. I may actually survive after all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:42 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I think marijuana should be legalized, and there have been increasing studies that question the efficacy of sniffer dogs (turns out they are 'alerting' to handlers' body language as often as scent), and yet I absolutely cannot stop laughing at this photo from this morning's news:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/l ... t_bust.jpg

Ruh roh, Shaggy!

This is so, so good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The amount of relief the glasses gave me just driving is amazing. But the bifocal bit is hard to adjust too. Makes me a little ill to my stomach if I move my head too fast.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A friend asked me to help him bake his birthday cakes for 50+ people next weekend. Of course by "help" he means he wants me to do it and he'll just stand there and watch. I said yes because I don't know how to say no to people, but now I'm overwhelmed. Damn it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Does he know what cake(s) he wants? If so, you could ask him if he has all the ingredients, make him pick them up if not, first off. Then ask him which bits of the recipe he thinks he'll need help with, the baking or the decoration? Make it clear you really are helping him, not actually doing the whole thing for him, unless he's a really good friend who has done you a lot of favours or you have some other reason you particularly want to make them. No point being obligated into giving up hours of your time for no reason!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night and have been up, tossing and turning for well over 2 hours. Blech. Stupid post-brunch nap yesterday. I'm sure as soon as I get out of bed I'll be exhausted, so work will be fun.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'd like to say I'm sitting around reading all day, but in reality, I'm only reading between chores. Womp womp. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to do a load of laundry or run the dishwasher. Probably the dishwasher since I've already done some laundry and we're out of clean cups. Then again, that gives me the perfect excuse to drink the cider that's been waiting for me in the fridge for several weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kfad wrote:
The amount of relief the glasses gave me just driving is amazing. But the bifocal bit is hard to adjust too. Makes me a little ill to my stomach if I move my head too fast.

I wear progressive lens and at first I got nauseated too, but that goes away. And so worth not having to change glasses.

Speaking of which I still haven't gotten my new glasses I ordered in June. Of course I have lost my receipt and paid cash so there is nothing I can do about it. It's so upsetting - they were close to $400.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 am 

dropscone wrote:
Does he know what cake(s) he wants? If so, you could ask him if he has all the ingredients, make him pick them up if not, first off. Then ask him which bits of the recipe he thinks he'll need help with, the baking or the decoration? Make it clear you really are helping him, not actually doing the whole thing for him, unless he's a really good friend who has done you a lot of favours or you have some other reason you particularly want to make them. No point being obligated into giving up hours of your time for no reason!

He wants one big chocolate, one big vanilla, cupcakes on the side, and he would like the cakes to be ice cream cakes if at all possible. He wants to come do the baking at my house because "I probably have more ingredients." We are not good friends so this really just feels like he's mooching and is too cheap to buy cakes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:48 am 
And you never will.

ashley wrote:
He wants one big chocolate, one big vanilla, cupcakes on the side, and he would like the cakes to be ice cream cakes if at all possible. He wants to come do the baking at my house because "I probably have more ingredients." We are not good friends so this really just feels like he's mooching and is too cheap to buy cakes.

Don't do it! At least, don't do the ice cream cakes. They are a giant pain in the asparagus and expensive and the bigger they are the harder they are to do. I understand having a hard time saying no and stuff, but if he's not really a good friend it definitely sounds like he's taking advantage. If there is any way you can change to possibly helping him somewhere other than your place (like maybe his own damn kitchen?), I would do that. He's probably planning to stick you with all the ingredients costs ($$$), all the work, and all the clean-up. Don't do it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

ashley wrote:
dropscone wrote:

That sounds an awful lot like mooching to me. Plus, then you are stuck with all the clean-up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:01 am 

I think his own damn kitchen sounds like a much better idea, and I already told him the ice cream cakes would be too messy. There is nothing wrong with serving ice cream on the side if he must have it. I'm not totally opposed to helping, but he is for sure going to have to buy the ingredients, or at least pay me back. No forking way am I paying for all that shiitake.

Poopie, since you are official Cake Master, do you have a recommendation for recipes that work well for large cakes? I like kittee's vanilla cake and the chocolate cake from VCTOTW, but I've never done those in anything larger than 8" rounds, so I don't know how well the recipes stand up in a bigger pan. I have two 11x14 pans, so I figure one of each of those.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm going to a black tie event tomorrow and I just found a perfect, hand-made dress in a charity shop. It's in really good condition but has that second-hand shop smell. It's some kind of synthetic fabric but I don't know exactly what, am I likely to ruin it if I put it on a quick, cool wash cycle?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

You could just hand wash it in the sink if you're worried.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 pm 
And you never will.

ashley wrote:
I think his own damn kitchen sounds like a much better idea, and I already told him the ice cream cakes would be too messy. There is nothing wrong with serving ice cream on the side if he must have it. I'm not totally opposed to helping, but he is for sure going to have to buy the ingredients, or at least pay me back. No forking way am I paying for all that shiitake.

Poopie, since you are official Cake Master, do you have a recommendation for recipes that work well for large cakes? I like kittee's vanilla cake and the chocolate cake from VCTOTW, but I've never done those in anything larger than 8" rounds, so I don't know how well the recipes stand up in a bigger pan. I have two 11x14 pans, so I figure one of each of those.

I've never made kittee's vanilla cake, but it looks like it will multiply well! I triple the chocolate cake from VCTOTW pretty much weekly, and I've even made a quintuple batch with great success, so it shouldn't be a problem. When I make a sheet cake that size, I turn the oven to 325 rather than 350 so the edges don't get crispy while the center bakes. Depending on how full you fill it, it'll probably only take about 5-10 minutes more than an 8" round.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:35 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

blondiefk wrote:
Speaking of which I still haven't gotten my new glasses I ordered in June. Of course I have lost my receipt and paid cash so there is nothing I can do about it. It's so upsetting - they were close to $400.

Did you get them from a brick and mortar store? I'd suggest going in and talking with them, if so. There very well might be proof on their end you never got them! Maybe they got returned to sender, something like that? I think if you talk to them in a way that's not accusatory, they'll want to at least look into it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mars wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

Did you get them from a brick and mortar store? I'd suggest going in and talking with them, if so. There very well might be proof on their end you never got them! Maybe they got returned to sender, something like that? I think if you talk to them in a way that's not accusatory, they'll want to at least look into it!

I've been by several times and each time the guy promises he'll have them next week. And being the non confrontational person I am I accept that. Next time I'm bringing my friend who is more forceful than I am.

I've been going to this store several years and I like the owner but enough is enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That's awful, blondie. If you paid on your credit card, get them involved in getting your money back!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ah yes, that's a bummer. Sounds like he's probably trying to cover up a flub of his own. But at least it seems acknowledged that you never received them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ashley wrote:
dropscone wrote:

You could email him an invoice for the cost of the ingredients & your hourly wage. He may suddenly develop unknown baking skills and not require help.

π

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747 ... 1888  Next