| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748 ... 1890  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Sweet potato bread from the Vegan Girl's Guide to Life & salted caramel ice cream. SO good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:24 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Star wrote:
ashley wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Does he know what cake(s) he wants? If so, you could ask him if he has all the ingredients, make him pick them up if not, first off. Then ask him which bits of the recipe he thinks he'll need help with, the baking or the decoration? Make it clear you really are helping him, not actually doing the whole thing for him, unless he's a really good friend who has done you a lot of favours or you have some other reason you particularly want to make them. No point being obligated into giving up hours of your time for no reason!

He wants one big chocolate, one big vanilla, cupcakes on the side, and he would like the cakes to be ice cream cakes if at all possible. He wants to come do the baking at my house because "I probably have more ingredients." We are not good friends so this really just feels like he's mooching and is too cheap to buy cakes.

You could email him an invoice for the cost of the ingredients & your hourly wage. He may suddenly develop unknown baking skills and not require help.

I like this suggestion!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:50 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I like that too! Good idea!

poopiebitch wrote:
ashley wrote:
I think his own damn kitchen sounds like a much better idea, and I already told him the ice cream cakes would be too messy. There is nothing wrong with serving ice cream on the side if he must have it. I'm not totally opposed to helping, but he is for sure going to have to buy the ingredients, or at least pay me back. No forking way am I paying for all that shiitake.

Poopie, since you are official Cake Master, do you have a recommendation for recipes that work well for large cakes? I like kittee's vanilla cake and the chocolate cake from VCTOTW, but I've never done those in anything larger than 8" rounds, so I don't know how well the recipes stand up in a bigger pan. I have two 11x14 pans, so I figure one of each of those.

I've never made kittee's vanilla cake, but it looks like it will multiply well! I triple the chocolate cake from VCTOTW pretty much weekly, and I've even made a quintuple batch with great success, so it shouldn't be a problem. When I make a sheet cake that size, I turn the oven to 325 rather than 350 so the edges don't get crispy while the center bakes. Depending on how full you fill it, it'll probably only take about 5-10 minutes more than an 8" round.

You are awesome. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:13 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i wish people who've seen The Grand Budapest Hotel would stop getting in touch with me just to tell me how disappointed they were by it. you don't love wes the way i love wes, and you're hurting my feelings, and i think you're doing it on purpose, and it's mean and confusing and cut it out.

on a related note, i watched The Life Aquatic the other day as part of my preparatory wesfest, and now i have every david bowie song stuck in my head. it is lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

acr wrote:
i wish people who've seen The Grand Budapest Hotel would stop getting in touch with me just to tell me how disappointed they were by it. you don't love wes the way i love wes, and you're hurting my feelings, and i think you're doing it on purpose, and it's mean and confusing and cut it out.

on a related note, i watched The Life Aquatic the other day as part of my preparatory wesfest, and now i have every david bowie song stuck in my head. it is lovely.

Oh god I am so excited to see this. The Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr. Fox are favourites around here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:09 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

7-11 coffee (their big bold blend) is forking tasty!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

strawberryrock wrote:
You could just hand wash it in the sink if you're worried.

On second thoughts I'm too scared to wash it at all. It looks like someone may have made it out of curtain fabric or something, it has this really great huge floral print, and I don't want to risk forking it up (at least not until after I've worn it tomorrow). The smell isn't that bad, I'll just air it out overnight and wear a bit of perfume!

Looking forward to getting a picture taken by a professional, must try not to pull a silly face!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ashley wrote:
I like that too! Good idea!

poopiebitch wrote:
ashley wrote:
I think his own damn kitchen sounds like a much better idea, and I already told him the ice cream cakes would be too messy. There is nothing wrong with serving ice cream on the side if he must have it. I'm not totally opposed to helping, but he is for sure going to have to buy the ingredients, or at least pay me back. No forking way am I paying for all that shiitake.

Poopie, since you are official Cake Master, do you have a recommendation for recipes that work well for large cakes? I like kittee's vanilla cake and the chocolate cake from VCTOTW, but I've never done those in anything larger than 8" rounds, so I don't know how well the recipes stand up in a bigger pan. I have two 11x14 pans, so I figure one of each of those.

I've never made kittee's vanilla cake, but it looks like it will multiply well! I triple the chocolate cake from VCTOTW pretty much weekly, and I've even made a quintuple batch with great success, so it shouldn't be a problem. When I make a sheet cake that size, I turn the oven to 325 rather than 350 so the edges don't get crispy while the center bakes. Depending on how full you fill it, it'll probably only take about 5-10 minutes more than an 8" round.

You are awesome. Thank you!

I wish I could say no for you to the guy. I find it very easy to say no, I grew up with a mother who couldn't say no and she was always taken advantage of to the point of way beyond ridiculous, she despised the people that asked her to do things, she despised herself for doing it, yet she still did it. I think that cured me forever. I noticed there are a lot of people out there that are not afraid of asking for a lot and give nothing in return. I think those people need to hear no just as much as the person asked needs to say it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am confused by how much it bothers me that I cant get into Game of Thrones. It's one of these things were I think either Im too dumb to get it, or all the other people are watching a really bad show and comparing it to the bestest of shows out there? I understand that tv show and music and everything is subjective. But I'm still so so confused by it. I watched the whole first season, I gave the show three tries and I just couldn't get into it. And now whenever I hear people gushing about it I actually get angry because I feel left out. It's so ridiculous of me that a tv show is causing me so much distress. I've had this happen with other things everyone seemed to love, too. I once read a good critique of the show that made me feel less alone. Maybe I just need to get to know more people who dislike the show, too, and/or stop being so insecure about my own opinion so I wont need other people to validate it. Until then I'll probably end up watching the whole show and hating every second of it.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm 
And you never will.

Hot pizza: delicious. Cold pizza: delicious. Luke-warm pizza: disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

veganinberlin, I feel the same way sometimes but I figure I'm just awesome and sometimes my tastes don't follow the mainstream.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 pm 
Chip Strong

acr wrote:

Some people just really, really dislike him!

I, on the other hand, would totally watch even this if it were a movie:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:50 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

madeleine.teacup wrote:
the midnight coterie of sinister intruders

<3<3<3<3<3

protractor, picture of edith piaf, little flag = things i will carry with me all the time forever

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

dropscone wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
You could just hand wash it in the sink if you're worried.

On second thoughts I'm too scared to wash it at all. It looks like someone may have made it out of curtain fabric or something, it has this really great huge floral print, and I don't want to risk forking it up (at least not until after I've worn it tomorrow). The smell isn't that bad, I'll just air it out overnight and wear a bit of perfume!

Looking forward to getting a picture taken by a professional, must try not to pull a silly face!

Yes! Hang it outside and get some nice fresh air on it and it should be just fine. And some good perfume never huts anything either. I once soaked a pretty poke a dot second hand scarf just to make sure it was clean before I wore it, and the colors bled. I still wear it, but it makes me sad that it doesn't look as nice as when I bought it.
Post pics of yourself all dressed up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

aw man. i love wes anderson! i haven't seen the movie yet, but i really really want to asap. i wish it was playing at the theater near me, but that won't happen. i just have to find some time after work to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:41 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

let me know if you want company, ijdi! haters be damned!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:43 pm 

Ashley, if this guy is coming to your house to use your ingredients, mess up your kitchen, use your gas and/or electricity, and take your time, he had better damned well be either paying you upfront for all of that or else bringing you a "gift" of a very nice bottle of wine and a case of Whole Soy yogurt, and doing all the clean up while you PPK with your feet up and your favorite music playing. He said he wants to come to your house because you probably have more ingredients? Is that assuming that your ingredients are at his disposal to use for free? I am getting so angry on your behalf! Don't let him take advantage of you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I agree about cake dude. He sounds very presumptuous. He can make his own damn cake. Is he vegan?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 pm 

poopiebitch wrote:

I never realized this. But I believe you. Still, I may have to double check and see if it is true, for science. Speaking of science, why isn't there a research department somewhere working on why this is and how we can build a pizza that tastes good luke warm?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:49 pm 

I think that's exactly what he's assuming. I'm not really excited about him inviting himself over anyway. He's a nice guy but I'm super weird about inviting people into my house. We have to be pretty close for me to be comfortable with that. Especially to cook in my kitchen!

I'll send him a grocery list and offer to go help him at his house if he buys all the stuff. I think that's the most I'm willing to do.

And nope, not vegan!

I used to work with him, and he used to bring a cooler to work potlucks and take home ALL the leftovers afterwards. It was really weird. So the fact that he's trying to mooch again does not surprise me at all.

Last edited by ashley on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have a final tomorrow and my roommate has a friend over. Which, whatever, but they're loud. She said they were going to hang out in her room, but he's been over for an hour and they're still in the living room, which is literally right outside my door. Grumble. I just want to study in peace!

I should probably go to the library instead of waiting for them to finally go to her room, but it's raining and the library will probably be full. Ugh. I can't wait to live alone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:59 pm 
And you never will.

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

I never realized this. But I believe you. Still, I may have to double check and see if it is true, for science. Speaking of science, why isn't there a research department somewhere working on why this is and how we can build a pizza that tastes good luke warm?

It might not be true of all pizza, but pizza made with Daiya? *shudder* I'm all for science building a better pizza for all temperatures!

ashley wrote:
he used to bring a cooler to work potlucks and take home ALL the leftovers afterwards.

What the actual fork.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:02 pm 

Best part was that he never contributed to the potlucks in the first place!

Cold and room temp daiya pizza both sound pretty terrible to me. Cheeseless pizza is acceptable at any temperature, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I am confused by how much it bothers me that I cant get into Game of Thrones. It's one of these things were I think either Im too dumb to get it, or all the other people are watching a really bad show and comparing it to the bestest of shows out there? I understand that tv show and music and everything is subjective. But I'm still so so confused by it. I watched the whole first season, I gave the show three tries and I just couldn't get into it. And now whenever I hear people gushing about it I actually get angry because I feel left out. It's so ridiculous of me that a tv show is causing me so much distress. I've had this happen with other things everyone seemed to love, too. I once read a good critique of the show that made me feel less alone. Maybe I just need to get to know more people who dislike the show, too, and/or stop being so insecure about my own opinion so I wont need other people to validate it. Until then I'll probably end up watching the whole show and hating every second of it.

I've felt like this about a couple of TV shows & movies. I just assume that there's something really deep/witty/funny that I'm never going to get. This doesn't stop me from trying multiple times, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have now gone from slightly annoyed to seriously pissed off. They finally went into her room, but then proceeded to play her instruments and sing. This is a common occurrence, generally I don't care. But she knows I have a final tomorrow, which is why when she told me he was coming over she said they'd hang out in her room. After over an hour of trying various things to be able to concentrate(ear plugs, white noise, legitimately plugging my ears with my fingers) and them just continuing to get louder/me more annoyed, I finally said something. And it hasn't even been ten minutes, and they're doing it again. OMFG. Yeah, this is her apartment too, but I feel like I should be able to have it reasonably quiet when I need to study. The only time I have ever asked her to turn it down/be quieter is when I have a test, and generally I try to study in the library to avoid this, because I know she is loud. I give up. I'm just going to the library. Staying here is just going to get me more pissed off, and I really need to be able to concentrate on studying.

(Sorry for complaining ppk, I just needed to vent.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748 ... 1890  Next