| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1752, 1753, 1754, 1755, 1756, 1757, 1758 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:12 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

spoilers! come on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:17 pm 
Semen Strong

I have no idea what is going to happen! But if a mod can edit it to the one speculative sentence abut Burke that would be great.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

It's my anniversary! One year of marriage. HoLY, it's been a year. But the one thing that has remained consistent is my lovely relationship. I am so lucky.

I made pancakes and we might go ice skating and we are having a catered meal for two dropped off tonight! Swoon. I never, ever, ever get days off these days and today is glorious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Why do women's trousers have to be short, medium or tall, and yet that's apparently subjective and often completely inaccurate? I think I'm slightly below average height at 5'5" but wouldn't say I'm short, or that I have stumpy legs, yet even the "short" women's jeans and trousers are sometimes too long for me. I've started buying mens trousers instead! If I'm buying a 30" leg I know what I'm getting!

I hope this doesn't come across as body shaming to people shorter than me, by the way, it's not meant to be, I just want to be able to know I can buy trousers I won't have to hem!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Every pair of pants (trousers) I own I have had to hem. I am of pretty average height. It is so frustrating. I really don't understand sizing for women's clothing.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:18 pm 

Trouser sizing in the UK seems to be completely random as far as I can tell. I am 5'6 and have what I think are average sized legs, yet in the wardrobe I have trousers labelled short, medium and long, all of which fit me and are thus obviously exactly the same length!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I think you need to find a brand and stick with it. I am 4'11" and get Old Navy boot-cut petites and I can get away without a hem. I hate supporting them and prefer to hunt in thrift stores but once in a while my crotch breaks free and I need a cover stat.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Just deleted the fifth email of the day from a kid whining about extra credit. Yes, it is the end of the quarter!

For more context, two weeks ago I posted a weather map extra credit assignment about our snow storm. 5 A students did that one, but, oddly enough, not a single one of these kids.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
And I am sad that there isn't more focus on her relationship with Meredith - I liked having a show that focussed on the friendship relationship between two female characters, rather than having the whole show be sexing up in the on-call room.

THIS. I haven't watched in a while, but I can't imagine watching without Christina. She's easily my favorite character on the show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:11 pm 

One of these days, I'll be able to play this like a pro. (But not today) Yes, that is a life goal.
http://youtu.be/wD-ovH3T8WM

Also, one of these days I'll figure out how to embed. (I click youtube insert the link and nada)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I'm in London just now and I think I am done with it forever. I've never been a fan, but I am done now. Why is your air so gross, London? Why is your water so minging, London? Why is everyone so forking rude, London? Is there a tax on saying 'sorry' or 'excuse me'? An irritating number of people who live in you, London, are terrible at gigs. I'm not saying all of them, but seriously, gigs in London, I have realised over time, are at least 72% less awesome than they are anywhere else in the country. Oh, and that rail replacement bus service from Acton this morning? Worst. Bus. Ever.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Call the Midwife is so good! I think especially if you work in health care.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I like Call the Midwife, too! I don't even work or have any experience in health care. I just like shows about women. This reminds me that I have yet to watch the second season since it was put on Netflix.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

and the third season started on PBS tonight!

in nursing homes, whenever an elderly person starts acting weird, they always take a urine sample because more often than not, it's a UTI. In this episode the old lady nun with dementia was acting weird and they tried to get urine from her and she said something like "you think my mind is fractured and the cause lies in my bladder." I cracked up.

It's an awesome show about women and the drama of it is very realistic, or at least seems realistic. Nothing like the super over the top Downton Abbey, which of course I still watch. Call the Midwife seems like it actually reflects the times.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 am 
Chard Martyr

Not that it's a thing but we had a pretty shitty anniversary, despite my excitement upthread. We ended up taking my sister-in-law to the hospital (which required driving many many kilometres more than we'd intended) and then waiting/worrying/freaking out for the whole of the day. She's had migraines for months, and needs to see a neurologist (appointment scheduled months ago for early April) and has a really hard time with serious panic attacks triggered by her crazy symptoms of the migraines and the drugs they have her on. A bit of a bummer, but at least she is reasonably okay right now (but still in the hospital). We did have a ridiculously amazing dinner, but we ended up just feeling kind of guilty about the whole thing. Oh well. I'm just being selfish because it was my only Sunday off in months and months and I really wanted us to have just a really chill and stress-free day before I go back to the grind tomorrow. I count myself as lucky that my sister in law is in good care, and humongously selfish even just typing this out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:36 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

guys, today is the day the verdict is announced in the Japanese whaling case. I'm nervous about it :/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:54 am 

Vijita, you aren't any more selfish than anyone else and it's OK to feel disappointed. You've had this day planned for a while, right? So you had some expectations about how it would go and it was going to be fun and a full day off. It sounds like you put a lot of expectations into the day (for good reason and totally valid) and now that the plans were thrown out the window (for good reason) it's hard not to feel disappointed to have missed out on something. I think it's completely ok to feel disappointed since you're obviously also showing concern over your sister in law. I think most people feel selfish (I certainly do) and perhaps women are socialized to feel guilty for wanting anything for themselves and being disappointed when it doesn't happen (NOT your SO, just society/culture).

Just my 2 cents. Please don't feel guilty for feeling disappointed! I hope your SIL gets to the bottom of this mystery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:16 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

joshua wrote:
guys, today is the day the verdict is announced in the Japanese whaling case. I'm nervous about it :/

Good news! *contains potentially upsetting photo*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

fezza wrote:
joshua wrote:

Good news! *contains potentially upsetting photo*

fork. HOLY fork. that's forking awesome. I've been so worried all morning.

I'm still worried they'll work around it. I feel like they're arrogant enough about it to continue. specifically this line: "While Japan has committed to abide by the court's ruling it is free to continue whaling if it withdraws from the 1986 moratorium or the 1946 treaty."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lillianp wrote:
Vijita, you aren't any more selfish than anyone else and it's OK to feel disappointed. You've had this day planned for a while, right? So you had some expectations about how it would go and it was going to be fun and a full day off. It sounds like you put a lot of expectations into the day (for good reason and totally valid) and now that the plans were thrown out the window (for good reason) it's hard not to feel disappointed to have missed out on something. I think it's completely ok to feel disappointed since you're obviously also showing concern over your sister in law. I think most people feel selfish (I certainly do) and perhaps women are socialized to feel guilty for wanting anything for themselves and being disappointed when it doesn't happen (NOT your SO, just society/culture).

Just my 2 cents. Please don't feel guilty for feeling disappointed! I hope your SIL gets to the bottom of this mystery.

This.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm 
Chip Strong

interrobang?! wrote:
I'm in London just now and I think I am done with it forever. I've never been a fan, but I am done now. Why is your air so gross, London? Why is your water so minging, London? Why is everyone so forking rude, London? Is there a tax on saying 'sorry' or 'excuse me'? An irritating number of people who live in you, London, are terrible at gigs. I'm not saying all of them, but seriously, gigs in London, I have realised over time, are at least 72% less awesome than they are anywhere else in the country. Oh, and that rail replacement bus service from Acton this morning? Worst. Bus. Ever.

All of this. I moved out of London at the age of 18 and have never wanted to go back. I visit quite often for training weekends and meetings, which just serves to remind me why I left!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm 
And you never will.

I'm reading all the thread title wrong today. So far I've read "Logo design request" as "Lego design request" and "Stopping a heeler dog from heeling baby??" as "Stopping a healer dog from healing baby??"

I was starting to think the PPK had lost its damn mind, but nope. It's just me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I also read it as "Stopping a healer dog from healing baby??"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Jeez, dog, stop healing that baby already! We get, you're soooooo good at miracles, la-dee-da.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

jogirl wrote:
Trouser sizing in the UK seems to be completely random as far as I can tell. I am 5'6 and have what I think are average sized legs, yet in the wardrobe I have trousers labelled short, medium and long, all of which fit me and are thus obviously exactly the same length!

I feel like sizing in general has become completely unreliable and arbitrary according to each brand (and sometimes not even then). I have always been in the US 10-12 range, but in recent years I have been wearing pants labeled Size 6 up to Size 12. I have a pair of '12's that are skin tight and a pair of '6's that are loose enough to make me think I could have gotten away with a '4'. Ultimately the only reliable 'sizing' I've come across is by actual waist measurement, because hey, you can't suddenly redefine the length of an inch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1752, 1753, 1754, 1755, 1756, 1757, 1758 ... 1828  Next