| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1759, 1760, 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765 ... 1825  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:36 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

VeganinBerlin wrote:
the german vegan blogosphere is so incredibly alienating...

You don't like to write about cleanses, detoxing or pseudo science?

But there are some good blogs, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

just one day, i would like to put water to boil for tea, and not end up, ten minutes later, saying "hm what's that strange sound OMFG THE TEA" and having to run into the kitchen like a maniac to rescue the kettle from becoming molten frigging lava.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

forking ant mustards got into my left over gf corn bread that was going to be made into croutons tonight. almost got into my chips as well. busting out all my natural remedies to fix the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Mihl wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
the german vegan blogosphere is so incredibly alienating...

You don't like to write about cleanses, detoxing or pseudo science?

But there are some good blogs, too.

What other blogs do you like? I do read a lot of them, maybe that's why I get frustrated with them so much, haha.

I love your blog, obviously. I just think a lot of the german blogs are very clique-y. I just can't relate much to most of them, but that's not their fault of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

torque wrote:
just one day, i would like to put water to boil for tea, and not end up, ten minutes later, saying "hm what's that strange sound OMFG THE TEA" and having to run into the kitchen like a maniac to rescue the kettle from becoming molten frigging lava.

Omg, that is me every day. I made sure to buy a loud kettle because I ruined the last one by forgetting about it for over 2 hours (It was really bad, and I'm lucky I didn't burn the house down!). Now every day, like clockwork, it's "What's that loud whistling noise?" and then I feel like an idiot because of course it's the kettle! It's always the forking kettle!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

choirqueer wrote:
I love that fully half a paragraph of that article is devoted to considering whether that concoction looks like a vagina.

yesssss so you can say hot dog in a croissant with or without the filter and you're still right

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Today was supremely crappy:

- Couldn't get my forking has tank open to buy gas. Suddenly, after 30 minutes of stress it decided to open.
- Got a speeding ticket I can't afford to pay. Well, I can, but it will take every scrap of fun money for the next three months. I'll have to return the Wacom tablet I bought myself for my birthday. I was speeding. Stupid. Wrong time I guess. People were zipping past me because I was only going 76.
- was late to work because speeding ticket took 20 minutes. Why, I don't know.
- period started super early. Could not leave class so, yeah. Lovely.
- I ate a fun size peanut butter cup that was on my desk. I don't think I meant to eat it but it did calm me down enough for me to find my forking last clonopin. Irrational, but now I feel gross.
- student confronted me in a scary aggressive and hostile manner in the hall after school
- took nearly 3 hrs to get home because of several accidents. None looked serious, thank goodness, but were the kind that block all lanes.
- now I have ulcer pains, am grumpy, no time to rest before GED, and Molly bit me

I might have forgotten to bisque about something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
torque wrote:

Omg, that is me every day. I made sure to buy a loud kettle because I ruined the last one by forgetting about it for over 2 hours (It was really bad, and I'm lucky I didn't burn the house down!). Now every day, like clockwork, it's "What's that loud whistling noise?" and then I feel like an idiot because of course it's the kettle! It's always the forking kettle!

I think it's time for both of y'all to get an electric kettle. They switch themselves off!

My new job just keeps getting better. I found out today that my already-negotiated-higher pay has been bumped up due to a change in pay structures for certain pay bands (including mine, obvs), so I'm getting about £400/year more than I thought. And then my manager sent me a thing to sign up for a conference. I know conferences are actually kinda shiitake, but I've never been to one because I've never worked for an organisation that was interested in putting in the time, effort and money to help me be the best at my job.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Now I'm in trouble for forgetting a field trip yesterday with GED. They think I said I was coming and waited for me. I know I told them there was no way I could make that time.

Basically I can't do anything right these days. No matter where I go or what I do, somebody is pissed off at me for something.

Also, I forgot my mug and tea bags, so no tea tonight during class. They already have the air conditioning on (!) and I drink vats of tea to stay warm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, put me in the group of people who absolutely need an electric kettle. I totally destroyed my MIL's adorable kettle once by leaving it on the fast stove way too long!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

rachell37 wrote:
I think it's time for both of y'all to get an electric kettle. They switch themselves off!

I'm absolutely sure I could still fork it up somehow. We have an electric kettle at our cottage. I used it once, and the automatic shut off promptly broke. Now I'm too scared to use it, because I'm absolutely sure I'd get distracted and forget it was on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I melted a plastic kettle once and had to evacuate all the birds for a few hours. Fun times. Electric kettles all the way. I have a fancy one that has different tea temperatures programmed in. The beep is pathetically quiet though. I think it's a Breville.

Electric kettles are on my top 10 appliance list.

Raspberry, that happened to me too, which is why I forked out for the fancy stainless steel kettle. So far it has outlasted two of the cheap ones I bought before. Fingers crossed! I'd like to think I'm done buying electric kettles for a while.

Last edited by lavawitch on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really want a real kettle that has different temps for different teas.

Damn chia seeds are expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Here is mine. It's actually Cuisineart. I did not pay $90. Might have been a Macy's sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK-17- ... lle+kettle

I think it's on it's 3rd or maybe 4th year. The beep is crepe though. If you are standing next to it, you can kind of hear it, otherwise not really.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:29 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm pro just loud-ass-whistle kettle. If you're the type like torque, rc and myself who forget even what the whistling is about when we put on tea, we're totally not going to remember about our desire for tea until about like an hour after the electric kettle's already switched itself off and is cool. Then we'll have to switch it on again and wait for it to boil again, and then forget about the water again in which it gets cool again.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, I do often forget that I boiled water in my electric kettle, but once it's boiled once it takes mere seconds to reboil. I relied on an electric kettle to cook all of my meals when I was living in Israel, and then couldn't live without one when I came back (although I no longer cook things actually in the kettle!).

Zojirushi (something like that, it's the same brand as my rice cooker) makes an electric kettle that heats water near-instantly to perfect tea temperature for different teas. I bet it's spendy, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So far in April: 5 people I went to high school with have gotten engaged and/or married, another has moved to Las Vegas to become a professional poker player/blogger, while another is apparently now a well known professional body builder/fitness model.

It's only the 9th. I wonder what else will happen this month.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

rachell37 wrote:
My new job just keeps getting better. I found out today that my already-negotiated-higher pay has been bumped up due to a change in pay structures for certain pay bands (including mine, obvs), so I'm getting about £400/year more than I thought. And then my manager sent me a thing to sign up for a conference. I know conferences are actually kinda shiitake, but I've never been to one because I've never worked for an organisation that was interested in putting in the time, effort and money to help me be the best at my job.

That's awesome! I actually (mostly) enjoy conferences and training seminars. Sometimes you come away with a ton of really helpful info, but even if you don't, it's nice to meet other people who are doing what you do. I'm not good at networking, so having it handed to me is great. And I like the break from the norm, even if it does triple the work I have to do when I get back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When I make tea, I just heat the water in the microwave. 90 seconds, boom! That's the only way there's any chance I'll still want tea by the time it's ready.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I remember my fascination the first time I saw an electric kettle, in New Zealand. I had only ever used water boiled in a pot on the stove before.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

LW, hope you have a better day today, sounds like you need one!

i had a nice electric kettle, but when it finally got worn out and gave up the ghost I couldn't replace it due to space issues. But now that I've done some rearranging in the office, I could conceivably put it in the office instead of in the kitchen.... Will have to think about it (++ tea in the office, -- steam near my equipment).
My mother came back from Ireland with one, raving about them, and when I was in the US I gave that damn kettle a real workout. Awesome. (here they are spendy, insulated or not... trying to think of an equivalent.... between the price of half and a full tank of gas.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:17 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I volunteered to make brunch for about 8 people today and i'm staying in a house where there's only a couple of pots and one wooden spoon. This'll be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wait, there are people who don't use electric kettles? CULTURE SHOCK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think UK electric kettles (can't really speak about EU) are slightly different than US ones. After I moved here, I raved about my electric kettle - it was so fast and easy! So I convinced my mom to get one (in the US), and hers was so slow, she really might as well have boiled the water on the stove.* Maybe it was just the one she had, but I felt bad because it didn't really seem worth it. I think they're also a lot more expensive. You can get a kettle here for £5, whereas I think you're looking at $20+ in the US (though that was 6-7 years ago, so maybe they've gotten cheaper).

*My mom's tea-drinking habits would make most tea drinkers cringe. She boils water for a full pot of tea, uses 2 teabags, and leaves the pot to sit pretty much all day. So she'll make tea in the morning and come home to the same pot of tea (with the same 2 teabags still in it) and just reheat it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

What I don't understand is how people can forget about their desire for tea. I always want tea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1759, 1760, 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765 ... 1825  Next