| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1767, 1768, 1769, 1770, 1771, 1772, 1773 ... 1900  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 am 
WELFARIST!

Do you guys have any idea how soul crushing it is to pull out The Lorax to read to several different groups of elementary students, only to have all of them exclaim that they saw that movie? Like…none of them has read it or had it read to them.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I can cross 'getting stuck in an elevator' off my bucket list... thankfully it was only ten minutes and we were stuck about 3" below the elevator's street-level starting point, so it wasn't too panicky.... but I missed my train and was almost 15 minutes late to work on a day I was actually going to be on time. So, not too stoked on that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I can cross 'getting stuck in an elevator' off my bucket list... thankfully it was only ten minutes and we were stuck about 3" below the elevator's street-level starting point, so it wasn't too panicky.... but I missed my train and was almost 15 minutes late to work on a day I was actually going to be on time. So, not too stoked on that.

That is one of my fears! Also, I hate how in movies, they show elevators suddenly dropping after stopping. Glad it wasn't too bad for you!
allularpunk wrote:
Do you guys have any idea how soul crushing it is to pull out The Lorax to read to several different groups of elementary students, only to have all of them exclaim that they saw that movie? Like…none of them has read it or had it read to them.

I cannot tell you how disappointing it is that parents don't read to their kids more. When I was a kid, that was my favorite thing ever and I wanted to learn how to read ASAP because I loved books so much. The best days of all at pre-school/kindergarten/elementary school? When we were read to. It can be so hard to get kids interested in books now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

allularpunk wrote:

Probably a lot liking teaching a few miles from DC and discovering most kids have never been to the air and space museum.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

That all seems like reading quite a lot into what kids say. I've read a lot of things to my daughter that she probably won't be able to tell you in a few years whether she's read or not, and we've been to a lot of places I'm sure she will also not remember.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:09 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I think 17-18 year olds living near DC would probably remember going to the air and space museum at some point. I just think it quite sad that so many families de emphasize education to the point that expensive season tickets to Kings Dominion 2 hrs away are a thing but going to a major free museum a 10 minute bus ride away is not.

Interestingly, my GED students with kids have all done that sort of thing and they live much further away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really resent how I feel certain people low-key screwed me over at a bad time in my life and haven't been very supportive since, and it's becoming more and more difficult to interact with them in a civil manner, but I know snapping at people will just reflect badly on me and make me feel worse about myself. I really need better control over my temper, but it's hard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Blech. i woke up with what I think is a really bad cold and what my mom thinks is the flu. My nose is running, I'm dizzy, mildly nauseous, freezing, and everything hurts. I should really go to the health center but I don't even have the energy to finish my bowl of soup no way am I walking a mile (roundtrip) any time soon. Whine whine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
That all seems like reading quite a lot into what kids say. I've read a lot of things to my daughter that she probably won't be able to tell you in a few years whether she's read or not, and we've been to a lot of places I'm sure she will also not remember.

Indeed. My daughter certainly can tell you a lot more about the plot of Finding Nemo than she can about the 200 books we regular read to her - she gets read to well over an hour a day and gets to see part of a movie maybe once a month. And I can't remember hardly any museum I visited as a kid and we were dragged to all of them - I've gone back as an adult and have absolutely no memory of the places. But I can remember seeing a show at the outdoor theater at Balboa Park and the way the actors knew how to freeze and be silent while a plane was flying overhead, and then go right back to the acting. Couldn't tell you what show it was, though! I went to the Air and Space Museum in DC in college to see the Star Wars exhibit, but I remember zilch from the actual museum (and just a little from the special exhibit), and lots from the six hour drive each way and snacks we ate in the car. If I had made that trip as a younger teenager, I probably wouldn't remember which museum it was that we visited.

It is highly unsurprising to me that teenagers (or adults even) would have fuzzier memories of having made a trip to a museum than the people who planned the trip. Comparing the answers that a group of parents give about their children to the answers a group of teenagers give about their own experiences is not an apples to apples comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i've never read the Lorax! Maybe those kids are reading more modern books or just happen not to have read that one. it might be that their parents don't read to them, but you don't know what the deal is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Sometimes kids are dirty, dirty liars too.

"Have you read this?"
"Nope"
"Really? You have eight copies and I read it to you yesterday"
"Oh yeah"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

dropscone wrote:
I really resent how I feel certain people low-key screwed me over at a bad time in my life and haven't been very supportive since, and it's becoming more and more difficult to interact with them in a civil manner, but I know snapping at people will just reflect badly on me and make me feel worse about myself. I really need better control over my temper, but it's hard.

Perhaps you should try to talk to those people about it and say how they disappointed you?
Or accept that they're are not the kind of "friends" you want(ed) them to be?

I know that's easier said than done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

They're not friends. They're also not very receptive to anything approaching criticism. I'm looking at ways I can avoid having to be in the same environment with them in future but it might take a bit of time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
I think 17-18 year olds living near DC would probably remember going to the air and space museum at some point. I just think it quite sad that so many families de emphasize education to the point that expensive season tickets to Kings Dominion 2 hrs away are a thing but going to a major free museum a 10 minute bus ride away is not.

Interestingly, my GED students with kids have all done that sort of thing and they live much further away.

If it makes you feel any better, my family visited DC once during my childhood, when I was 6, and the Air and Space Museum was my favorite thing that we did!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Once I worked at an after-school program and my group of 5th and 6th grade girls read a book (that lots of PPKers helped to buy, by the way, because we had no budget) that was the first in a series and when we were done with it and it was almost summer I told them that their local public library had the rest of the series, I had checked.

And you know what they said?

Where's the public library?

BECAUSE MOST OF THEM HAD NEVER BEEN.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm 

uggghhh. i was just looking for some cheese cloth and i found some, but it had all these little bugs on it! they looked kind of like flax seeds, so i didn't think anything was wrong for a second until one moved! ewww! i googled and i think they are black carpet beetles. now i have to clean everything, but i'm scared to find a nest or something. uggghhh. most of the ones i found were dead already, so that's good, but...ughhh!

freaking out a little bit!

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheet ... pet-beetle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Guys, I'm so nervous. I'm going to this queer camping thing for Sat-Tues, and have to leave my dog here. What am I going to do without Ginny, guys?! How will I handle being apart from her?! This is supposed to be fun and relaxing, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:11 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

butt.shingles.

ya, tmi, sorry but i am contemplating a trip to the urgent care, i am in so much pain my lower half is vibrating.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

missmuffcake wrote:
butt.shingles.

ya, tmi, sorry but i am contemplating a trip to the urgent care, i am in so much pain my lower half is vibrating.

OUCH. Feel better!

Mars, I am starting to freak out about leaving my guys when I go away for 10 days. I totally get it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:00 am 

zwingtip wrote:
Blech. i woke up with what I think is a really bad cold and what my mom thinks is the flu. My nose is running, I'm dizzy, mildly nauseous, freezing, and everything hurts.

This is how I feel. But I am still going to work for about ten hours, because I'm the only one who seems to care about our clients and I don't want this bride's day to be ruined!

I don't take pain/cold medication for health reasons--suggestions? I have been using oregano oil but I am nauseated and puking oregano oil is guaranteed to be the worst thing ever. It's just 7am and I've already had two baths with epson salts, which helped with the muscle aching.

I am so annoyed when I get sick! This is a very inconvenient time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We are going away for four days and I'll miss my fur kids. But! We're going to Niagara Falls and Buffalo. We're stopping in Syracuse to go to Strong Hearts Cafe. And the hotel has a pool!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My tooth-with-a-hole got a filling and didn't need a crown. So I'm not going to be forking over a ton of money for it... I hope. There is still a chance I'll need a root canal, which costs as much as a crown so will be really expensive (if I get a root canal, I need a crown too). I keep telling the roots that they are awesome and don't need any work. But for now, my mouth feels better. Or it should when the numbness and soreness from the work wears off. It tastes better anyway (rotting teeth taste bad). Maybe I'll have dental insurance before it needs any more attention.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

My friend just posting something about sharing crepes with her child and it took me several minutes to figure out what the hell she was talking about. Ohhhh, the pancakes!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made French onion soup in the slow cooker yesterday and now my house smells like onions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Kale is the devil, but kale chips are lesser demons that may have a shot at redemption.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47491 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1767, 1768, 1769, 1770, 1771, 1772, 1773 ... 1900  Next