| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1769, 1770, 1771, 1772, 1773, 1774, 1775 ... 1874  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:43 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4330
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I think I might have to finally accept that I have various health issues. Like I have definitely needed glasses since I was about 12, and it's just getting worse. Every time I read now, I find myself squinting at the page. And I probably should admit to myself that I do have asthma. (I had an inhaler prescribed to me years ago that I never used, because "haha, I don't have asthma!" Because I am stupid, I guess.) And my tetanus shot has to be 3 or 4 years out of date now. There is a new community health center down the street that I could walk to and that I think takes my shitty state insurance. But I would have to call the health center to confirm that they accept my insurance, then call my insurance company to have them switch my primary care provider to one of the doctors at the health center, then call the center again to set up the appointment. And I am so afraid of telephones that it's possible I would rather sit here and die of tetanus and/or not breathing than make all those phone calls. I don't know, ppk.


One phone call at a time. Least scary one first.

I'm having trouble coming to terms with these things also, very specifically the fact that I really should get my eyes checked. The frequency with which I get headaches are indicative of needing glasses, or having a brain parasite.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:47 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 3245
Location: Almost Boston
emmalv wrote:
I dont ever even recall getting a tetanus shot. That might be problematic.

It's supposed to be done every 10 years. My last one was when I was still in school. I really should get mine boosted, because I cut my hands on the metal fencing at work constantly.

I don't even want to know what my house really looks like. I'm sure there's a coating of dog hair that is currently invisible to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 pm 
Offline
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3051
Location: Soy City
lavawitch wrote:
Brian got out of the Army just in time!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/che ... tid=pm_pop

Ha! Yeah, sometimes the Army didn't care about functionality so much as not looking like dorks and the PT uniform was strict about no dorks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 3245
Location: Almost Boston
Moon wrote:
One phone call at a time. Least scary one first.

They're all scary! Seriously, calling my friends is scary, never mind strangers.


Quote:
I'm having trouble coming to terms with these things also, very specifically the fact that I really should get my eyes checked. The frequency with which I get headaches are indicative of needing glasses, or having a brain parasite.

Aw, yeah, sounds like glasses would benefit both of us. I'm coming to terms with needing them. Both my parents have poor eyesight, so it was only a matter of time. Or it could be a brain parasite! (I do stupidly worry that I'll go to the doctor, and they'll say, "Oh no, you don't have [minor problem]. What you have is [serious fatal disease]!")


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I've seen tons of guys doing PT at Ft. Belvoir. Can't recall ever looking at their feet.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 1114
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I think I might have to finally accept that I have various health issues. Like I have definitely needed glasses since I was about 12, and it's just getting worse. Every time I read now, I find myself squinting at the page. And I probably should admit to myself that I do have asthma. (I had an inhaler prescribed to me years ago that I never used, because "haha, I don't have asthma!" Because I am stupid, I guess.) And my tetanus shot has to be 3 or 4 years out of date now. There is a new community health center down the street that I could walk to and that I think takes my shitty state insurance. But I would have to call the health center to confirm that they accept my insurance, then call my insurance company to have them switch my primary care provider to one of the doctors at the health center, then call the center again to set up the appointment. And I am so afraid of telephones that it's possible I would rather sit here and die of tetanus and/or not breathing than make all those phone calls. I don't know, ppk.

You say the health centre is down the street- could you walk there and check face to face that they accept your insurance? I always book my doctor, dentist and optician's appointments by walking in and talking to the person at the front desk. The secretary or clerical assistant or whatever they are. And of course you can go back to set up the actual appointment.

That leaves only one phone call, to your insurance company. I would write down what you need to say (even if it's just one sentence with the name of the health centre) so that if you panic and your mind goes blank you can read it off. Use the toilet, blow your nose etc. first so you won't be worried about being distracted by needing that. Have a pen ready in case you need to write anything down from the insurance company.
Then a tip that someone else said worked well for a phone call they were particularly dreading: sit in a comfy chair and wedge cushions around yourself so you feel safe, comforted and secure. Take a deep breath and make your phone call.
Promise yourself a reward after you've made the call- a mug of tea (it could be brewing while you make the call), half an hour to read a book without feeling guilty, some time outside, chocolate, whatever.

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:07 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Jungles of America
I'm waiting for the day that someone on a juice fast asks me where I get my protein.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:44 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5026
Location: WV
I'm supposed to be writing up a bunch of quotes for our college's PR person. She came over yesterday and asked me for some, since I'm the new director. I said, 'Sure, about what?' and she was like, 'You're the director, aren't you?' Uh…I'm not sure what she wants? One of our galleries got written up on a top ten list of galleries to visit in our state, so I'll say something about that, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. I have about 2 hours to get this done. Sometimes being in charge is kind of the worst.

Also, I have this annoying hacking cough that just will not go away. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't breathe and I have to disappear away from all people and chug water and hack until I can be functional again. It's majorly embarrassing, and I just want to go home and be in bed.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 am 
Offline
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3051
Location: Soy City
allularpunk wrote:
I'm supposed to be writing up a bunch of quotes for our college's PR person. She came over yesterday and asked me for some, since I'm the new director. I said, 'Sure, about what?' and she was like, 'You're the director, aren't you?' Uh…I'm not sure what she wants? One of our galleries got written up on a top ten list of galleries to visit in our state, so I'll say something about that, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. I have about 2 hours to get this done. Sometimes being in charge is kind of the worst.

Also, I have this annoying hacking cough that just will not go away. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't breathe and I have to disappear away from all people and chug water and hack until I can be functional again. It's majorly embarrassing, and I just want to go home and be in bed.

The proper response is "As director, my time is valuable and I'm not going to waste it trying to read your mind. Please give me your concise requirements and I will do my best to fulfill them."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am 
Online
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10432
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Guess who voluntarily planned all the small little parties we've had for staff leaving my workplace, despite not being paid the OT and oftentimes footing the bill for the food? No one else would have done it, but in this business so completely inappreciative of its employees, I felt it a crime not to at least make a gesture.

Well, my last day is Monday, and I am pretty sure that no one will bother with anything for me. I guess it nicely bookends my decision to move on, but I can't help sulking a little bit. It's kind of being turned into this whole stressful OMG WE'RE LOSING VIJITA SO BUSY thing and no one cares about giving me a little handshake to thank me for what I've contributed.

Oh well, maybe I am wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:31 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7552
Location: Portland
brian wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I'm supposed to be writing up a bunch of quotes for our college's PR person. She came over yesterday and asked me for some, since I'm the new director. I said, 'Sure, about what?' and she was like, 'You're the director, aren't you?' Uh…I'm not sure what she wants? One of our galleries got written up on a top ten list of galleries to visit in our state, so I'll say something about that, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. I have about 2 hours to get this done. Sometimes being in charge is kind of the worst.

Also, I have this annoying hacking cough that just will not go away. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't breathe and I have to disappear away from all people and chug water and hack until I can be functional again. It's majorly embarrassing, and I just want to go home and be in bed.

The proper response is "As director, my time is valuable and I'm not going to waste it trying to read your mind. Please give me your concise requirements and I will do my best to fulfill them."


Yes. You're no doubt plenty knowledgeable about your gallery, but that doesn't mean you can psychically know what kind of quotes this person needs.

Alternately, you could provide her with totally un-useful quotes, like, "The gallery has a total of 13 toilets and 6 paper towel dispensers," and "We use only the finest nails to hang our paintings."

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 2593
Location: Midlands, UK
Jordanpattern those are the best quotes! I would really want to visit a gallery that bragged about its nails! Shows a sense of humour.

_________________
"I would hug the heck out of a venomous maneating whistlepig." - 8ball


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5193
vijita wrote:
Guess who voluntarily planned all the small little parties we've had for staff leaving my workplace, despite not being paid the OT and oftentimes footing the bill for the food? No one else would have done it, but in this business so completely inappreciative of its employees, I felt it a crime not to at least make a gesture.

Well, my last day is Monday, and I am pretty sure that no one will bother with anything for me. I guess it nicely bookends my decision to move on, but I can't help sulking a little bit. It's kind of being turned into this whole stressful OMG WE'RE LOSING VIJITA SO BUSY thing and no one cares about giving me a little handshake to thank me for what I've contributed.

Oh well, maybe I am wrong.

Well, I know you're amazing. I'm sure they do, too! I hope they rustle up a little shindig to honor your leaving as you deserve it. They'll surely miss you!!! <3 <3 <3

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:24 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10739
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
aw, vijita! i hope they do something for you. i was an office manager at this company for a while and i planned every birthday, event, goodbye, etc...and i was fully not expecting anything on my last day, but they ended up getting me vegan cupcakes and i was soooo surprised! i hope you're pleasantly surprised!

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:28 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Tigon wrote:
I'm waiting for the day that someone on a juice fast asks me where I get my protein.


This would be my coworker.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:29 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
allularpunk wrote:
I'm supposed to be writing up a bunch of quotes for our college's PR person. She came over yesterday and asked me for some, since I'm the new director. I said, 'Sure, about what?' and she was like, 'You're the director, aren't you?' Uh…I'm not sure what she wants? One of our galleries got written up on a top ten list of galleries to visit in our state, so I'll say something about that, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. I have about 2 hours to get this done. Sometimes being in charge is kind of the worst.

Also, I have this annoying hacking cough that just will not go away. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't breathe and I have to disappear away from all people and chug water and hack until I can be functional again. It's majorly embarrassing, and I just want to go home and be in bed.

Did I miss you getting a new job/promotion?! If so, huge congrats.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1449
Location: Berlin
I have become a bit obsessed with reading about all the problematic aspects of Game of Thrones (the show, not the books). I kind of want to send this article to my boyfriend because he doesn't get why I hate the show so much, he thinks Im being overly sensitive (granted, my reaction to it, the fear, is not helpful, but this is what happens when I'm triggered and not 100 % sure whats happening/why I feel so threatened)

http://feministfiction.com/2014/04/23/w ... f-thrones/

Someone on the ppk, not sure who, said/implied that all the "sexy rape" on this show was ok because it does turn a lot of people on. And I didn't reply because I wasn't sure what to say. But I think that's definitely not a good argument. I know there are people who are turned on by rape (as a matter of fact, I've had these fantasies ever since I've been raped myself) but I don't think that makes it ok for a tv show to use it as a trope, to trivialize. I dont think the most watched (family!) tv show should be judged in the same way as rape porn. Not that I think that is just "ok" to exist simply because people are turned on. I thought the main reason why pedophilia was frowned upon was because children cannot consent and there you would never say "well, it does turn people on, so it's ok". In the same way, rape by definition excludes consent, and people being turned on my it doesn't make it ok. And having a fantasy in your private home or showing this stuff on tv show is not the same to me, either.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:41 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I think there are a lot of awful things on TV. If it's distressing, I would just avoid it. You aren't the only person who really hates the show. (I've never seen it)

Criticizing and protesting/educating against rape culture is one thing, but why open yourself up to something that makes you feel icky?

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 3245
Location: Almost Boston
My allergies were so bad today that I went digging through a box of allregy med samples that my old doctor had given me. I found a sample thing of astelin nasal spray that I had never tried, and I don't know if it's helping the allergies that much but I feel really forking good right now. and also everything is funny? It's interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:54 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5026
Location: WV
I ended up just making some shiitake up, and I don't think it sounded all that great because my head is full of fluff (from a cold or allergies), but whatever. And thanks, lavawitch. I got promoted to gallery director. Still waiting to hear if it's going to be full time, in which case I will have to reapply for it, but it's been a step in the right direction.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:56 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Seattle
I was just watching an episode of Monsters Inside Me and the mom of a kid who had some kind of flesh-eating bacteria had a sort of unique first name. I used to take dance classes with a girl with that name when I was 11/12 in CA, and I wondered if it was her even though the family was living in NC and the mom had a different last name, because it kind of looked like it could be. I searched for the first and last name of the girl I knew on facebook and sure enough, it was her (she uses both names on fb.) Small world. Biker boy changed the channel so I don't know what happened to her kid, though.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:56 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 am
Posts: 595
Location: Midlands, UK
I sat down to write my essay then woke up two hours later. Right, well done me, great way to pass....

_________________
blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 67
vixki wrote:
I sat down to write my essay then woke up two hours later. Right, well done me, great way to pass....

This is me today. And I still want another nap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Jungles of America
VeganinBerlin wrote:
Someone on the ppk, not sure who, said/implied that all the "sexy rape" on this show was ok because it does turn a lot of people on.

Wow. It's hard to imagine someone saying that. That's like saying, in defense of all the racist things Sterling is saying, minorities are lesser people.

The violence (rape is certainly violence) on the show isn't there to turn people on. It is a story that takes place in a harsh world where these are their realities. Unfortunately it's still a reality in many parts of our world today. But yeah, HBO has changed some things to add nudity and other strange events that they think works for ratings. I really enjoy the show, though certainly not because of the hard to watch violence. Fantasy is a difficult genre to write powerful women into, due to the worlds defined by brute strength. I think Martin does a good job at writing believable strong female characters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:44 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7279
Location: bindlestiff
Tigon wrote:
Fantasy is a difficult genre to write powerful women into, due to the worlds defined by brute strength. I think Martin does a good job at writing believable strong female characters.

What what? It's fantasy! You can write any damn thing you want, including powerful women who can kick asparagus with arms made of CorTen steel. Writers don't get a pass for promoting the same old sexist tropes because a powerful woman is apparently just too fantastical.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1769, 1770, 1771, 1772, 1773, 1774, 1775 ... 1874  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], booberthefraggle, Exabot [Bot], Mars and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer