| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1773, 1774, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779 ... 1901  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:03 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I am officially a morris dancer.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:05 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am 
WELFARIST!

I wanted to get up early this morning to go for a run, but there was a notice that our water was being shut off for maintenance starting at 8am, which meant I would have had to get up at 6 in order to run and shower by that time, so I decided against it. Then the cats starting running laps around the apartment at around 4:30am. I seriously was close to tears because I'm so exhausted and they just would not give it a break. Until, you know, 7...when I finally dragged myself out of bed to shower before the water would be shut off.

This is going to be a very, very long day.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i cannot find the bday card i bought the bf last week...omg, i hate when i loose things.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Can I murder my adviser? He's had my thesis first draft in hand for about 24 hours now and has JUST started looking at it. And asked me if I knew the intro needed a lot of work while saying he can't guarantee feedback today (bullshiitake—he can he just doesn't want to). So now I am sitting here with nothing to do feeling totally helpless and anxious about his edits and looming deadlines.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

I could probably google this but a couple of astronomy-related questions: Does Pluto have daylight at all (i.e., because it's so far away from the sun, does brightness/daylight reach its surface and does it get any illumination (esp from the sun)?) It's moon might provide some illumination (Charon, I think it's called). Anyway, most interested if it gets any illumination from our sun.

Also: Are the planets from Mars on out (i.e., Mars and Earth being terrestrial--I dunno are Venus and Mercury terrestrial planets too? I think they are but haven't googled yet) but my MAIN question is are the rest of the planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus (Uranus in particular) and Neptune gaseous planets?) Is Pluto a gaseous planet? (Why do I think Pluto's terrestrial?) Are these stupid questions? Sorry if so but I am writing something and these are the facts I'm going with but I need to confirm them.

If anyone knows, please chime in, thanks! <3 Sincerely, SV, that lazy, no good non-Googling NonGoogler <3

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

zwingtip wrote:
Can I murder my adviser? He's had my thesis first draft in hand for about 24 hours now and has JUST started looking at it. And asked me if I knew the intro needed a lot of work while saying he can't guarantee feedback today (bullshiitake—he can he just doesn't want to). So now I am sitting here with nothing to do feeling totally helpless and anxious about his edits and looming deadlines.

I know a professor who LOST all his students' marked-up dissertations. He shipped them by boat when he was returning from living overseas, and they disappeared. Along with some work he was supposed to do for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

seitanicverses wrote:
I could probably google this but a couple of astronomy-related questions: Does Pluto have daylight at all (i.e., because it's so far away from the sun, does brightness/daylight reach its surface and does it get any illumination (esp from the sun)?) It's moon might provide some illumination (Charon, I think it's called). Anyway, most interested if it gets any illumination from our sun.

Also: Are the planets from Mars on out (i.e., Mars and Earth being terrestrial--I dunno are Venus and Mercury terrestrial planets too? I think they are but haven't googled yet) but my MAIN question is are the rest of the planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus (Uranus in particular) and Neptune gaseous planets?) Is Pluto a gaseous planet? (Why do I think Pluto's terrestrial?) Are these stupid questions? Sorry if so but I am writing something and these are the facts I'm going with but I need to confirm them.

If anyone knows, please chime in, thanks! <3 Sincerely, SV, that lazy, no good non-Googling NonGoogler <3

I'll try, but astronomy isn't my best and I'm on cold meds.

Mars is the last terrestrial (rocky planet). It goes Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars. The asteroid belt is between Mars ans Jupiter. Jupiters gravity/mass prevented another planet from forming there.

Uranus is a gas giant. Pluto has been reclassified as a dwarf planet and is thought to be mostly an ice ball. It isn't gaseous.

Moons will only provide lumination if they are reflecting sunlight. Our moon has fairly high albedo (reflectivity) which is why we can see it at night. When it isn't lit by the sun, it's dark (new moon phase).

NASA.gov has a lot of great subsites full of photos, artist renditions, and info. A mission to Pluto will arrive next summer.

I'm not sure how far the Sun's illumination travels, but past Pluto is getting to the edge of the solar system where the sun's gravitational influence ends. (Oort Cloud where comets come from)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

seitanicverses wrote:
I could probably google this but a couple of astronomy-related questions: Does Pluto have daylight at all (i.e., because it's so far away from the sun, does brightness/daylight reach its surface and does it get any illumination (esp from the sun)?)

For a very loose definition of 'daylight'. Technically, any object from the universe that we can observe on earth is illuminating us, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see them. However, the distance of Pluto from the sun is 40.7 AU (doesn't matter what an AU is). The earth is 1 AU from the sun.

Flux (density of power) from the sun is given by (Power)/(4 pi * distance^2) so that means that sunlight on Pluto is 1600 times fainter than it is on earth. So technically, yes Pluto has daylight, but practically, you wouldn't really notice it.

Quote:
It's moon might provide some illumination (Charon, I think it's called). Anyway, most interested if it gets any illumination from our sun.

No. Moons get illuminated by the sun and reflect that. If Pluto doesn't get daylight from the sun, neither does the moon.

Quote:
Also: Are the planets from Mars on out (i.e., Mars and Earth being terrestrial--I dunno are Venus and Mercury terrestrial planets too? I think they are but haven't googled yet) but my MAIN question is are the rest of the planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus (Uranus in particular) and Neptune gaseous planets?) Is Pluto a gaseous planet? (Why do I think Pluto's terrestrial?) Are these stupid questions?

Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars are terrestrial planets. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are gas giants. Pluto is technically not a planet at all because it's more closely related to a Kuiper Belt Object than a planet, but if it were, 'terrestrial' might be a reasonable approximation. It's really a giant icy snowball.

No such thing as a stupid question. Hope that helps.

mollyjade wrote:
I know a professor who LOST all his students' marked-up dissertations. He shipped them by boat when he was returning from living overseas, and they disappeared. Along with some work he was supposed to do for me.

Okay that wins. (I'm just being cranky because he's gone from 'take your time i will read it when you're done we will make the deadline' on Saturday to 'why are you making your emergency my problem' today)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There's this thing called the European Computing Driving License, which is a qualification that's good all over Europe saying you know how to do certain things on the computer. I started the course today (it's mostly online), and it's not only painfully simple (like showing you how to log onto a computer and shut down) but it's also woefully out of date (it pre-dates smart phones and is based around Windows XP). I really don't see how this could actually be worth anything, especially since I suspect I'll already know most of what it's trying to teach me. It's pretty frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Additional note: our nearest neighbour stars are about 4.4 lightyears away from us, and the brightest of these is comparable in magnitude to the sun. Pluto is about 5 light-hours away. So the sun is really the best source of daylight Pluto might get.

Edited to add: 1 square inch of Pluto's surface will receive about 0.6 milliwatts of the sun's light.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

missmuffcake wrote:
i cannot find the bday card i bought the bf last week...omg, i hate when i loose things.

I know how you feel. I never loose things; it's there but I just can't find it.
Once I couldn't sell my car because I misplaced the registration and I eventually had to order copies at the DMV.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I thought I was home alone today, so when I went into the kitchen to get a snack I was kind of jumping around and dancing and maybe singing a little to myself. And then I looked up and saw my dad standing there, ironing the table. Like, not ironing something ON the table, but ironing the actual table (he said he saw something on tv about how you can remove water marks that way). There was this long moment where we both stared at each other with an identical "what the fork are you even doing??" look on our faces. I'm pretty sure that ironing the table is weirder than awkward dancing, so I felt like I had won.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I thought I was home alone today, so when I went into the kitchen to get a snack I was kind of jumping around and dancing and maybe singing a little to myself. And then I looked up and saw my dad standing there, ironing the table. Like, not ironing something ON the table, but ironing the actual table (he said he saw something on tv about how you can remove water marks that way). There was this long moment where we both stared at each other with an identical "what the fork are you even doing??" look on our faces. I'm pretty sure that ironing the table is weirder than awkward dancing, so I felt like I had won.

You totally won.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You love in a sitcom, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I love your updates, RC.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, and the other day my mom opened my bedroom door and threw a bunch of socks at my head, making "pew! pew!" noises. Five minutes later she opened my door again and flung her hand toward me and shouted "pew!" She didn't have a sock, but I didn't know that and I flinched. She yelled, "Pavlovian response!" and shut the door and left.

So, yeah, my whole family is weird. Including me!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love your whole family. But maybe you guys are the normal ones and it's the rest of us who are weird?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, let's go with that.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:32 pm 
And you never will.

RC, your stories of your family give me hope.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Are you sure that's not just indigestion? It's a very similar feeling.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Are you sure that's not just indigestion? It's a very similar feeling.

you guys are kind of like the Bob's Burgers family. They are my favorite TV family! I mean, after the Cosbys of course.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:58 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

RC, you win at making me laugh the hardest I have so far all month. I know, we aren't that far into the month yet. You could probably throw last month in there too. I just laughed out loud really hard and long. I love your family!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

zwingtip wrote:
Edited to add: 1 square inch of Pluto's surface will receive about 0.6 milliwatts of the sun's light.

I love you Zwingtip.

P.S.; seitanicverses: It might also be of interest to note that Pluto is not the only dwarf planet. There are five! One of them closer to sun than pluto (Ceres), the others farther away, and one of them (Eris), actually larger than pluto, also!

wikipedia wrote:
In relative distance from the Sun, the five are:
Ceres – discovered on January 1, 1801, 45 years before Neptune. Considered a planet for half a century before reclassification as an asteroid. Accepted as a dwarf planet by the IAU on September 13, 2006.
Pluto – discovered on February 18, 1930. Classified as a planet for 76 years. Reclassified as a dwarf planet by the IAU on August 24, 2006.
Haumea – discovered on December 28, 2004. Accepted by the IAU as a dwarf planet on September 17, 2008.
Makemake – discovered on March 31, 2005. Accepted by the IAU as a dwarf planet on July 11, 2008.
Eris – discovered on January 5, 2005. Called the "tenth planet" in media reports. Accepted by the IAU as a dwarf planet on September 13, 2006.

P.S.S. Anything farther than Neptune (like Pluto is) is also called a Trans Neptunian Object or TNO. But this also includes asteroids and shiz. As far as I'm aware however, TNO's are only trans because of their orbit, I'm pretty sure they don't have gender dysphoria.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:52 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

So yesterday I had a party to go to, and one hour to make it from work to home via the supermarket including making and eating dinner. Needless to say, the first supermarket I went to didn't have the one thing I needed and I ran into the newest, most inexperienced cashier at the next supermarket therefore losing precious minutes. The result was that while I managed to make dinner, I didn't manage to eat it, but as it was wraps, I just took them with me to eat on the bus on the way to the party. I run, catch the bus, sit down, and bite into the wrap. OF COURSE a piece of tomato covered in cashew ricotta falls on me, and not on my zipped up, waterproof-and-therefore-easily-washable jacket, no, right inside my collar and onto my shirt, where it proceeds to roll down my chest therefore splattering my front entirely.
But I am proud of my solution, buying a large scarf at a store on the way from the bus to the underground, therefore saving my face and looking hipster-ish at the same time. Too bad the cashew ricotta had lots of garlic, therefore undermining my cool attitude with bad breath...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1773, 1774, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779 ... 1901  Next