| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1788, 1789, 1790, 1791, 1792, 1793, 1794 ... 1859  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:00 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Wowzers, that's an expensive knife! Guess they're quality though. Glad you got out of your shorts eventually, that'd be a bit awkward to explain at work!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

dropscone wrote:
Wowzers, that's an expensive knife! Guess they're quality though. Glad you got out of your shorts eventually, that'd be a bit awkward to explain at work!

Thank you, it was 2 for £86 and the are guaranteed for life so I can justify it (kind of)

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:16 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Ohhhh that is the hardest part of fostering! I know you guys have been looking after him for at least a year now. Just remember he's going to a wonderful loving fprever home, and now you can foster another kitty in need. Hugs <3

blondiefk wrote:
Aw, hugs. It's hard to let them go.

Thanks ladies! I'm all good now, I'm super happy we managed to find him a home with an awesome vegan who literally lives ten minutes away. Which, actually, after getting screwed over by the girl we were fostering him for is a pretty great scenario for the little dude. He leaves in a week so I'm giving him all of the cuddles this week!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have to be at work in an hour and 14 minutes. I'm sitting on the couch calculating the latest possible time I can get in the shower and still be at work on time. Just do not want to get up today!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:22 am 
And you never will.

I've avoided talking about this because I've been trying not to think about it, but it's nine days away and I'm starting to freak out so here I am. Hold me, PPK.

My husband has a one-way ticket to England leaving on the 10th. The goal is for him to establish an income over there so that I can apply for my visa. We've been over it a million times trying to find another way, but the current immigration laws make it pretty much impossible, so our family will be separated indefinitely until we can (hopefully) show enough UK-based income to satisfy the government that I should be able to move as well.

The ticket has taken a small chunk out of our savings, but between us we should be able to make enough to not have to eat into savings on a monthly basis (he still has clients here that he'll be working for remotely since his business is all internet-based anyway). But I won't be able to continue keeping my cousin's baby, so that's a loss of income (although my baking business is still my main source of income).

If there were any guarantees about the outcome I think this wouldn't be so hard. If I knew that after x amount of time I would definitely be able to get my visa and everything would be fine, then that would be great. But I don't know how long it will take, and I don't know that at the end of this we won't end up in the same position we're in now, just older and poorer and more frustrated.

So, any advice for doing the single-parent thing for a while would be great. And just general hugs would be appreciated too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:27 am 
WRETCHED

Poopie! lots of luck and love <3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:30 am 

Wow Poopie, that sounds a bit scary, but also exciting? Which part of the UK are you hoping to move to? If it's not set, please come to the Midlands so that I can meet you and purchase many delicious cakes and creme eggs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Lots of hugs and support Poopie! If there is anything that I can do to help (such as personal recommendations/personal references or chaining myself naked to the houses of parliament) just ask!

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:15 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Oh poopie, hugs to you! I know I am far away, but I offer whatever support I can give you!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh dear Poopie, I wish you much luck. My husband and I did the same thing, only it was me who left Australia in order to be able to sponsor
him in Canada. It was hell. We were apart for 8 months. It was such a struggle financially for years after he came to Canada. We lived on my pitiful income alone for 3 years before he was granted a work visa and then later still permanent residency. It was a horrible strain, but very much worth it. Canada is a much better place for us both, and my husband love it here.

I hope UK immigration is much kinder to you both and things go swiftly.

My only advice is hold on as best as you can,there will be an end to the separation. Skype or phone each other lots, and send lots of lovely inexpensive note and treats and whatnot through the mail. Squirrel away money like you've never squirreled it away before. I wish you the best, it will be tough.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Poopie, I have no advice but I have lots and lots of hugs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, PB, that's so hard. But know that the way things are going, it's probably best for y'all to sort it out now rather than later because it's just gonna get more difficult. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:19 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks so much you guys! We're trying to get him established quickly enough that poopieboy can join him to attend school later this year (he's a citizen as well, so he doesn't need a visa), and then hopefully I'll be able to join soon after.

rachell37 wrote:
the way things are going, it's probably best for y'all to sort it out now rather than later because it's just gonna get more difficult

You are so right. Until last year I could have skipped the three-year ILR requirement before applying for citizenship, due to the length of our marriage outside the UK. But that ship has sailed, so we need to get it done ASAP before things get even harder.

jean wrote:
My only advice is hold on as best as you can,there will be an end to the separation. Skype or phone each other lots, and send lots of lovely inexpensive note and treats and whatnot through the mail. Squirrel away money like you've never squirreled it away before. I wish you the best, it will be tough.

Thank you. I'm glad to know it worked out for you - it gives me hope! As for squirreling away money, I'm a pro :)

dropscone wrote:
Which part of the UK are you hoping to move to? If it's not set, please come to the Midlands so that I can meet you and purchase many delicious cakes and creme eggs!

It's definitely not set and we're open to most places, although one of my husband's sisters lives in Birmingham and we would ideally like to be close to her. We shall see!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

hugs and kisses to you, poopie. I have no doubt that things will work out just fine, even if the ambiguity of the whole situation right now seems like too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:22 pm 

poopiebitch wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Which part of the UK are you hoping to move to? If it's not set, please come to the Midlands so that I can meet you and purchase many delicious cakes and creme eggs!

It's definitely not set and we're open to most places, although one of my husband's sisters lives in Birmingham and we would ideally like to be close to her. We shall see!

Oooh! That's West Midlands and I'm East Midlands. Close enough! Although I can recommend Leicester for good vegan eats and cheapish house prices!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Two of my GED students want to speak at graduation. I'm excited for them--they are so happy.

I'm happy too. I mean, I'm mostly pretty useless, but I'm good at helping the GED students that want the help. I feel good about having been able to help them reach their goals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am sad that my huge pistachio order won't be here until end of the week. I want cookies now. The nut cookies in Hannah Kamimsky's first book are amazing, especially when the other nuts are all swapped for more pistachios.

I have such a thing for pistachios.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:47 pm 

I haven't had pistachios for ages. They're my favourite party nut, and were also great when I was giving up smoking (something tension relieving about snapping the shells), but at the moment I'm obsessed with hazelnuts. I really want to make an all-hazelnut version of the smlove pie, but all my friends seem to be on diets!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:57 pm 
And you never will.

dropscone wrote:
I really want to make an all-hazelnut version of the smlove pie, but all my friends seem to be on diets!

Time to get some new friends!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:59 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

poopiebitch wrote:
dropscone wrote:
I really want to make an all-hazelnut version of the smlove pie, but all my friends seem to be on diets!

I'll share a s'mlove anytime!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ooh that sounds good. I love hazelnuts too. I'm sad that they seem to make lousy, gritty smoothies.

Even with the Vitamix, the smoothies come out with an unpleasant texture. Maybe if I ground them up first. Or would hazelnut flour work?

MMmm. Pistachio brownies. You know what I need? Pistachio liqueur. (My ability to classify stuff like that as a "need" may explain why I never remember to buy tampons until an emergency has erupted.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hugs PB. Immigration stuff is so hard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:11 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

jojo wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
dropscone wrote:

VVC 2015 Smlove party.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:26 pm 

jojo wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
dropscone wrote:

I'll remember that if I ever make it back to Brighton. Or give me a couple of days warning if you're visiting near Leicester any time!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Poopie, thinking of you. I'm sure it will work out but I have my fingers crossed!

I have crazy new job jitters. This isn't just a random new job, it's once I moved from one side of the country to another for! I start tomorrow! Gah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1788, 1789, 1790, 1791, 1792, 1793, 1794 ... 1859  Next